Curtiss-Wright Employee Reviews

A fun place to work depending on which group within the company you work for.
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Brea CA 92821January 6, 2017
The actual environment was great. My co-workers were well to work with. Difficulty working with our factories in the U.K. & China. Very busy most times of the day.
Fast pace 24/7 enviroment
Regional Manager/Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  MultipleDecember 20, 2016
Loved working for the company for many years but it has taken a turn over the past 5 years. Strictly a numbers driven operation with very little understanding to market and economic drivers.
Overall environment good depending on the division
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Brea, CANovember 30, 2016
Answering phones, quoting, emails, customer complaints, preparing shipping reports.

One of the things that I learned is with the proper team you can accomplish anything that is put before you.

Management was easy to discuss issues with, and to take action when the employees couldn't.

The co-workers make the job new and exciting everyday. Even on the toughest day we managed to laugh.

Managing the teams problem while juggling with the customer issues. Learning which issue should be resolved first.

The most enjoyable aspect of the job was selling products to customers and knowing that they chose our items over everyone else.
Pros
Quarterly lunches, bonuses
Cons
Short staffing
Productive shop
Quality Assurance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Shelby, NCOctober 24, 2016
Overall not a bad company. My direct report was outstanding. For my first civilian job out of the Military he made the transition easier. I marked it down on Job Security as Lay-offs are a common place. The 4 gentleman that worked directly with me were top notch as well. Would go back if an opportunity becomes available.
Pros
Co-Workers, Experience Growth, and Pay
Cons
Lay-offs
Wonderful Internship Opportunity
Defense Design Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Cheswick, PAOctober 23, 2016
Had the pleasant experience working at this in-house design and manufacturing company. Curtiss-Wright EMD makes various electro-mechanical devices for the power industry and for the navy.

As an intern for this company, you can see the all of the different checkpoints a product has to go through from start to finish; from design to ordering, from the factory floor to quality assurance codes, and from interacting with clients to meeting with suppliers. Curtiss Wright offers a wide variety of positions one can work in.
Very good place to work
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Cheswick, PAOctober 3, 2016
Very good place to work with friendly people and challenging work. Flexible hours and good work-life balance. Everybody is willing to help and answer questions.
Staff Drafter (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALAugust 8, 2016
Great place to work and environment. Own office. Coworkers are excellent people to work with. Work is not too demanding
Pros
C0-workers
Cons
Comute
Transitions pain
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 25, 2016
A great place to work at one point of time. The company is geared more toward making numbers more than developing employees.
benefits
Cons
work life balance, work load, development
Terrible
Slave (Current Employee) –  Shelby, NCJuly 22, 2016
Company used to be a great place to work, but they have ruined themselves over about 2 years.
Like slaves, there is no freedom unless you have a particular name and they expect 100% when they show 0% concern for the employee.
Pros
It pays the bills
Cons
Buddy system, minimal annual raise (if you're lucky), Careless management, Slave drivers.
friendly and productive environment
Masking (Former Employee) –  New Brighton, MNJune 14, 2016
Everyday will have different projects to do. There will only be a slight chance of you moving to a different room, depends how big the project is. Most toughest part about working there, the heat and the cold.
High paced work environment
Associate Technician (Current Employee) –  Gastonia, NCMay 17, 2016
The days are full of variety and I have had the chance to sharpen my problem solving skills within the area of mechanics. I have learned to accept many challenges given to me by management. The people I have had the pleasure to work and grow with have been wonderful. Balancing my home life with my work life has been a large difficulty due a lot to the time spent traveling to and from work on a daily basis. I have enjoyed many aspects of my job here most of all I have enjoyed the chance to learn many different methods of dealing with problems that arise from the product I have worked with
Good Company with good benefits
Buyer - Planner (Former Employee) –  Brecksville, OHMarch 31, 2016
Great 401K and Stock Options. Good Health Care with
Dental and Eye Plans available. Reasonably prices.
Employees are easy to get along with; cooperative.
You won’t ever be bored working here but there are times you will need to be patient
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Farmingdale, NYMarch 5, 2016
A typical work day tends to fluctuate depending on when shipment are schedule to depart.
I’ve learned how to operate in a professional workplace environment.
What I’ve enjoyed the most about my job was when there was a challenge. I like figuring out the solution to an uncommon task.
Pros
Co-workers are open and friendly
Cons
There are communication disputes between levels of management
seasonal contract work
Steam Generator Maintenance Tech (Former Employee) –  various power plantsJanuary 27, 2016
nuclear work actively promotes job culture , they want employees to own there work and be accountable.The pay is good but there is no guarantee of work , all jobs are staffed on an as needed basis , this tends to create tension between employees which reduces the feeling of camaraderie I have experienced with other employers
Pros
good wages
Cons
inconsistent work
It was a great place to work for
assembly production (Former Employee) –  Brecksville, OHNovember 6, 2015
The hours were great. On the bus line. Overtime was always an option.

Management was there if a problem came up. Always asking if I needed anything.
Pros
I was trained well. The employees there were nice and helpful.
Cons
I was a temporary worker and I was let go.
work elsewhere
John doe (Former Employee) –  Shelby, NCOctober 28, 2015
As a machinist I'd strongly consider a career elsewhere. Most of the ppl there are senior. 15 years plus. Avoiding orders that need to be filled to run orders that are easier etc. 16 dollars an hour is not a competitive wage for machinists holding .0005 tolerances on a majority of their dimensions.
benefits
Cons
management, starting pay, good ole boy culture, engineering.
Interesting Industry
Programmer-Analyst (Former Employee) –  Berwick, PASeptember 10, 2015
I have had many different positions over the years, but the primary one was to update and maintain data from Nuclear power plants throughout the United Stated and Canada. This data would then be shared on a website that I maintained so subscribers could buy and sell parts from each other.
Assimilate - Resistance is Futile
Business Segment Manager (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLAugust 9, 2015
I can honestly say - with more than 30 years of experience - that this is truly one of the strangest places I've worked.

I'll take these one at a time:

Be prepared to work overtime (without being paid for it). It will be expected. Do more and more and more, with less and less and less. ANYTHING to bolster their precious Operating Income (OI). Someone leaves? No problem.. just divvy up the work to the remaining, already over-tasked people.

The pay and benefit package was excellent.

It's secure enough as long as you keep your head down fit in.
Advancement? Sure... all you have to do is stick around for 10 years, getting whipped into compliance... you'll advance.

By no means should you EVER out-perform your boss or - god forbid - have the audacity to actually disagree with him/her. They hate that ...no matter how many years of experience you have doing what you do, or how successfully you smash their annual goals.

To "fit in" you'll have to assimilate into their definition of "culture." They are very proud of that at CW. In short, you will be very happy if you are a politically correct, hypersensitive, liberal bureaucrat.

So... after two years of "not fitting in" the CW culture and working for an ineffective, unappreciative leadership team, I resigned.

Life is too short to be a drone.
Pros
great benefits, good pay
Cons
poor leadership, mired in politcally correct bureaucracy
No Growth Opportunity, Great Coworkers and Understanding Supervisor
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILJuly 15, 2015
To much micro managing with little support or help to get the job done. There is no appreciation by management. Most enjoyable part of my job are the workers
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
no growth opportunity and employes don't feel valued
Decent work environment, terrible management
MRP Procurement Planner (Former Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IDJune 16, 2015
It's a decent place to work, the benefits are good, pay is steady, the workload isn't terrible, and the people for the most part are great. Management is a problem. Processes would change from day to day, and the decision makers don't seem to have a head for business. This company is the result of engineers running a company.
Pros
benefits, flexible with time off, free coffee
Cons
No defined path for accomplishing some tasks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Curtiss-Wright. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7