Customs and Border Protection Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work
Border Patrol Agent (Former Employee) –  Portal, NDJanuary 16, 2018
The pay was excellent but the management was your typical micromanaged government operation. If you like this type of a work atmosphere its hiring all the time.
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else
Inventory Management Specialist, Asset Management (Current Employee) –  Chantilly, VAJanuary 9, 2018
Lots of changes with new Management, Jobs evolve and roles are changing constantly. Very business and a professional work place. I would recommend this place.
cbp
CBP TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 1, 2018
Good place to work, as a new employee I had to wait 10 months for my security clearance. Management is very flexible, and understandable with their employees.
work in dusty enviorment
warehouse (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaDecember 28, 2017
its a dangerous environment too much chemicals in the air we have respirators but it still a bad place to work because there is dust getting in anyway
Pros
gave a ham to us for christmas
Cons
gave a turkey for thanksgiving
Great Career
Supervisor CBP Officer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 3, 2017
While sometimes stressful and cut throat it is a great career and pay is awesome. The benefits are great and job security is a major plus. There also many chances for advancement.
Travel is everyones business
Trainee Inspector (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 2, 2017
Served a trainee so most of my time experience was learning and studying to become a full time officer of rank with the Department. The pay was decent for a trainee/coop position.
10 years says a lot!
Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 25, 2017
I worked for Customs and Border Protection for ten (10) years. I worked four 10 hour days and two of those days I was able to work from home, which allowed a strong work-life balance. The office was very laid back and I didn't feel like nor mind coming into the office.
Pros
Gym, Work-life balance
A job
Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 6, 2017
It's the federal government. Every job has it's ups and down, however, management make a difference in that respect. It is easier to remain dedicated when you have management that has your back.
My job with US Customs and Border Protection is empowering
Agriculture Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 10, 2017
Working with CBP opens your eyes and exposes you to things that the general public does not see on a daily basis. It gives you a better perspective on things especially world travel and how our world is so much interrelated and interdependent.
great
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJuly 31, 2017
its a great experience they give you hands on training but its only good training if you are under the age of 21 so its good when you kinda want to persue a career in law enforcement
Productive and fun work environment
Officer (Former Employee) –  Rio Grande Cy, TXJune 20, 2017
During the course of my 18 year career in service is was awarded many comondations by the office of field operations and by the United States headquarters.
Not a good place to work
Customs and Border Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 14, 2017
I would not work there. This is not a good place to work. It feels like you are in prison for 12 or more hours a day. There is no stimulation or thinking involved.
Pros
money
Cons
everything else
Best place to work.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Georgia Port Authority/Customs Supervisor.June 4, 2017
Very Enjoyable. Taught me how better to communicate with he public and people in the working environment. How to be a team member and a team leader. Learned all about smuggling trends to include history. Developed my 6th sense. Learned about dedication to duty, integrity and Honor. I have learned to respect Supervisors and Management and also became one. Was blessed to travel and work at other stations to include, Nogales Arizona, Deming New Mexico and Savannah GA. One of my best assignments was being assigned to Brunswick GA for a total of three years as a Instructor for U.S. Customs and Homeland Security. I have had the opportunity to work with local Law Enforcement Officers through out the years and gained very important knowledge and learned new safety and Law Enforcement Techniques to better Instruct my fellow Federal Customs Officers. Learned in great detail how to shoot many different types of weapons and became a sharp Shooter. As a leader learned how to motivate all the officers under my Command. Training was always second to none. Had a chance to receive advanced weapon training. I have interceptive Narcotics in large numbers and due to that I have received Five Hundred Dollars in Bonus money, also received a paid vocation from the Customs Service to Burbean St LI. Hotel accommodations for three days along with free airfare. I have met and talked with the Commissioner Of Customs when I was station at Columbus New Mexico Port Of Entry.
Pros
Respected by all.
Cons
Worked sometimes 16-17 hour days.
Fast-paced environment, needs improvement in leadership
Junior Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 8, 2017
My normal day included being in a stressful environment depending on the mood of those around me. Management could have been well trained on how to be an effective manager by talking to people with respect, as we are all adults. The hardest part of the job was mostly dealing with the office politics. The most enjoyable part was the recognition given at times.
Pros
recognition
Cons
poor management skills
Best place to work at
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VA 22153April 27, 2017
Benefits are great; the treatment towards employees is amazing; you are well taken care of; workplace culture is very inviting and friendly; working here gives you a sense of fulfillment and pride.
Pros
holidays off, Aws, Telework
Great
Field Officer (Trainee) (Former Employee) –  Eagle Pass, TXApril 20, 2017
Awesome place to work. Completed my pre academy there and was always treated with great professionalism. I highly recommend working there because of the hours.
Professional environment
Senior Import Specialist (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 13, 2017
A typical day at work should be professional. Management is all about keeping control within the organization. Co-worker should be able to work together towards a common goal. Hardest part of a job is not having good communication in a workplace. Most enjoyable part of a job is enjoying what you are doing.
Pros
Educational
Cons
Good benefits
Dynamic and Challenging Work Environment
Paralegal Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 3, 2016
CBP offers the opportunity to impact the multifaceted mission of securing the nation from threats to the borders, commerce and imported/exported goods into and out of the country. In addition to physically examining such articles, CBP also evaluates the integrity of accompanying documentation and securing the supply chains of same. Risk management techniques segregate and penalize violators while legitimate commerce is encouraged to proceed for timely disbursement and continuity.
Pros
Responsibilities and Mission critical to National Security
Difference in culture
CBP Officer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 18, 2016
Typical day may be hectic, I've learned empathy, management doing best with what thy had, co workers joy to work with, hardest part need of a better life, most enjoyable reuniting families.
Cons
Government Job great benefits.
Senior Patrol Agent (Former Employee) –  Portal, NDNovember 2, 2016
Highly demanding, absolutely no room for errors, You should know your job very well. Very rewarding, if you are detail oriented. No shortage of work, often more than you can handle. A very rewarding job to serve the USA.
Pros
Serve your country with Honor.
Cons
Political winds can be harsh.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Customs and Border Protection. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2