Customs and Border Protection Employee Reviews

Productive and fun work environment
Officer (Former Employee) –  Rio Grande Cy, TXJune 20, 2017
During the course of my 18 year career in service is was awarded many comondations by the office of field operations and by the United States headquarters.
Not a good place to work
Customs and Border Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 14, 2017
I would not work there. This is not a good place to work. It feels like you are in prison for 12 or more hours a day. There is no stimulation or thinking involved.
Pros
money
Cons
everything else
Best place to work.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Georgia Port Authority/Customs Supervisor.June 4, 2017
Very Enjoyable. Taught me how better to communicate with he public and people in the working environment. How to be a team member and a team leader. Learned all about smuggling trends to include history. Developed my 6th sense. Learned about dedication to duty, integrity and Honor. I have learned to respect Supervisors and Management and also became one. Was blessed to travel and work at other stations to include, Nogales Arizona, Deming New Mexico and Savannah GA. One of my best assignments was being assigned to Brunswick GA for a total of three years as a Instructor for U.S. Customs and Homeland Security. I have had the opportunity to work with local Law Enforcement Officers through out the years and gained very important knowledge and learned new safety and Law Enforcement Techniques to better Instruct my fellow Federal Customs Officers. Learned in great detail how to shoot many different types of weapons and became a sharp Shooter. As a leader learned how to motivate all the officers under my Command. Training was always second to none. Had a chance to receive advanced weapon training. I have interceptive Narcotics in large numbers and due to that I have received Five Hundred Dollars in Bonus money, also received a paid vocation from the Customs Service to Burbean St LI. Hotel accommodations for three days along with free airfare. I have met and talked with the Commissioner Of Customs when I was station at Columbus New Mexico Port Of Entry.
Pros
Respected by all.
Cons
Worked sometimes 16-17 hour days.
Fast-paced environment, needs improvement in leadership
Junior Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 8, 2017
My normal day included being in a stressful environment depending on the mood of those around me. Management could have been well trained on how to be an effective manager by talking to people with respect, as we are all adults. The hardest part of the job was mostly dealing with the office politics. The most enjoyable part was the recognition given at times.
Pros
recognition
Cons
poor management skills
Best place to work at
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VA 22153April 27, 2017
Benefits are great; the treatment towards employees is amazing; you are well taken care of; workplace culture is very inviting and friendly; working here gives you a sense of fulfillment and pride.
Pros
holidays off, Aws, Telework
Great
Field Officer (Trainee) (Former Employee) –  Eagle Pass, TXApril 20, 2017
Awesome place to work. Completed my pre academy there and was always treated with great professionalism. I highly recommend working there because of the hours.
Professional environment
Senior Import Specialist (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 13, 2017
A typical day at work should be professional. Management is all about keeping control within the organization. Co-worker should be able to work together towards a common goal. Hardest part of a job is not having good communication in a workplace. Most enjoyable part of a job is enjoying what you are doing.
Pros
Educational
Cons
Good benefits
Meet people
Special Investigator (Current Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MD 20815January 1, 2017
Have the chance to interview and conduct investigatiuons for US and help people needed for the security and safety of the our borders and import and export buisness.
Pro
Cons
contract
Dynamic and Challenging Work Environment
Paralegal Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 3, 2016
CBP offers the opportunity to impact the multifaceted mission of securing the nation from threats to the borders, commerce and imported/exported goods into and out of the country. In addition to physically examining such articles, CBP also evaluates the integrity of accompanying documentation and securing the supply chains of same. Risk management techniques segregate and penalize violators while legitimate commerce is encouraged to proceed for timely disbursement and continuity.
Pros
Responsibilities and Mission critical to National Security
Difference in culture
CBP Officer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 18, 2016
Typical day may be hectic, I've learned empathy, management doing best with what thy had, co workers joy to work with, hardest part need of a better life, most enjoyable reuniting families.
Cons
Government Job great benefits.
Senior Patrol Agent (Former Employee) –  Portal, NDNovember 2, 2016
Highly demanding, absolutely no room for errors, You should know your job very well. Very rewarding, if you are detail oriented. No shortage of work, often more than you can handle. A very rewarding job to serve the USA.
Pros
Serve your country with Honor.
Cons
Political winds can be harsh.
Ok Job
Air Interdiction Agent GS-13 (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, NYOctober 28, 2016
Good salary good benefits good locations. Mission is fun and exciting and rewarding. Travel is expected at a minimum of around 24-50% of the time. Annual recurring travel.
challenging and past paced enviroment
Field Officer (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXSeptember 29, 2016
dream job if looking for a career orientated position with room to rise in rank. Daily risk of border violence with the dangers of breathing carbon monoxide from passenger cars crossing the international border.
benefits
Cons
daily risk of violence
Senior management not good
USA. Senior Executive Service (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 11, 2016
Not an enjoyable place to work. Most senior level of management needs removed. Mission is a good mission. Too much emphasis on telework and flexible work schedule and union membership for lower level workers pushing all of the work up. Workdays for productive workers end up being in 12-13 hour range.
Pros
Important mission
Cons
Excessively long hours. 13 hour days.
CBP Internal Affairs
Resident Agent in Charge Internal Affairs (Former Employee) –  Champlain, NYNovember 30, 2015
Had a great experience working in the Internal Affairs office. Great co-worker. Interesting work. Satisfaction of doing a job that was very important to the integrity and survival of CBP as a legitimate law enforcement agency that properly polices itself.
Greatt Pay, Terrible in every other aspect.
CBP Officer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 31, 2015
I can only speak about my Port of Entry (MIA). It was ridiculously non-stop busy there! I have worked as a LEO and deployed overseas with the military but there is no reason for the constant disrespect and horrible morale present at MIA (management and co-workers). I have worked at many, many different places doing different things but I never hated a job as much as this one. The schedule is horrid, the breaks are terribly executed and there are way too many miserable people working there because they feel compelled to stay due to the non-competitive GS-12 pay increase. After all the time I waited to start this position, I knew it wasn't for me. This is the job I have been most happiest to leave!
Pros
Pay
Cons
Evrerything else
under staffed under compensated
Sector Enforcement Specialist 1801-GS-9 47448 (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 24, 2015
This job requires an advanced degree or equivalent experience.
The starting pay for new hires is gs-5. very low salary. we are considered mission critical. we don't have any breaks are required to stay at a console for eight hours. Meals are eaten at your work station. As mission critical employees we were required to stay during the government shutdown.
Benefits
Cons
W orking conditions
productive and busy work place
Lead Mail Clerk (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYOctober 15, 2015
this is a great place to move up and have a stable career. get co workers. You get to know so many different people. Always busy
Customs and Border Protection Officers are the frontline of our borders.
Customs and Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Mission, TXAugust 20, 2015
Rewarding agency, helping and assisting persons from all walks of life. Challenges every day about people, conveyances, and the commercial arena. Unlimited amount of knowledge to learn and develop communcicaton skills. Employees must have a helpful, positive attitude toward people and different cultures.
Pros
Unlimited rewards for helping people.
Cons
Advancement.
Great Experience
HUMAN RESOURCE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 14, 2015
Well organized and competent organization who stick to there core value of integrity. Management was great willing to train and advance their employees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Customs and Border Protection. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3