Customs and Border Protection

Customs and Border Protection Employee Reviews

Great Experience
HUMAN RESOURCE ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 14, 2015
Well organized and competent organization who stick to there core value of integrity. Management was great willing to train and advance their employees
A World Class Law Enforcement Agency
CBPO (Current Employee), Atlanta, GaApril 19, 2015
CBP is a world class law enforcement agency that enforces over 400 laws/rules and regulations for over 40 federal agencies.
Customs
Physical Security Officer (Former Employee), Arlington, VAMarch 12, 2015
Pros: good pay
Cons: bad hours
Good place to work for flexibility of hours. Was stressful due to lots of call offs and no shows. Paid hours for class instruction and credential maintenance.
High pressure to interdict illegal materials.
CBP Officer (Former Employee), Boston, MAMarch 9, 2015
A typical day of work would involve reviewing flight manifests. (Cargo airway bills and passenger lists) Management mostly were concerned about having reports submitted in a timely and accurate manner.The hardest part of the job was having to have a suspicious attitude. Working with aircrew and airline staff was enjoyable.
Border Protection
Sector Enforcemment Specialist (Former Employee), Yuma, AZJanuary 12, 2015
Remotely monitored night-day camera and sensing systems to detect, monitor, and respond to illegal crossings into the United States. Management and co-workers were a well oiled machine and everyone had each others back in the field and in the office.
Keeping the country safe from terrorists
Custom and Border Protection Officer (Current Employee), Presidio, TXDecember 22, 2014
Pros: good pay and benefits
U.S. Customs Border Protection (CBP) officers are at the frontlines in keeping the country safe from terrorists, undesirable aliens, weapons, drugs and other prohibited items. They work at the frontlines in the more than 300 ports of entry in twelve different regions of the United States. They are responsible for ensuring that customs regulations are followed in the entry points in the Southwest, Texas East, Northwest/Northern Border, West Coast, Midwest, Northeast, Central/East Coast and Southeast regions as well as those in Florida, Pacific, Hawaii and Alaska. In a nutshell, the job of the more than 20,000 CBP officers assigned in international airports, seaports and land border crossings is to determine if travelers and cargo should be allowed entry into American soil.

In a typical day, CBP officers perform passenger screening activities to find out if travelers have legitimate business in the United States and possess all the necessary documents to prove it. They are the first persons that passengers arriving into the country will meet. They are also responsible for performing physical checks, inspecting passports and other documents and allowing or denying them entry to our gates.

Aside from people, CBP officers are also tasked with looking into the passengers’ pieces of luggage as well as cargo to ensure that these do not contain any prohibited items or illegal drugs. The prevention of smuggling activities is an important part of their job so they do thorough checks of cargoes and containers found in commercial trucks and passenger vehicles, ships and airplanes. They – more... may even use advanced tools and equipment as well as K-9 teams to help in conducting these inspections.

In addition to their role in the frontlines, CBP officers are also highly-involved in the fight against terrorism. They provide intelligence information or even work together with other law enforcement officers like the Drug Enforcement Administration, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and other agencies, to identify terrorists who are already operating in the country or prevent others from entering. They may also work together with other agencies to seize weapons and other dangerous firearms. They coordinate with these agencies especially in matters that affect national security.

Although protecting the country from terrorists and preventing smuggled items from entering the country are important aspects of the job, CBP officers are also responsible for facilitating the flow of legitimate passengers and legal trade. They accommodate travelers from foreign countries who are able to show that they possess the legal documents to stay in the United States for business, pleasure or a combination of both. They also welcome back U.S. citizens who have traveled abroad and are returning home. They also see to it that cargo and luggage that don’t contain any prohibited items are allowed to pass through. They also ensure that imported items that have the proper documentation are allowed entry.

It is part of the job of the CBP officers to thoroughly talk with the travelers seeking to gain entry into the United States. They interview each individual thoroughly about their purpose in the country. They also check the documents and passports of each traveler thoroughly to ascertain that these are not fake. CBP officers need to pay particular attention to details not only in the documents but in the behavior and gestures of the person they are interviewing as well. Sometimes, those who have something to hide reveal their true intention through their actions. CBP officers have to be alert to these cues.

Due to the demands of the occupation, CBP officers have to be physically strong and mentally tough. Overtime and shift work are regular features of the job. The job also has an element of danger which might necessitate the use of firearms. CBP officers who are assigned to the K-9 team will have additional responsibilities in caring for his partner canine, nurturing their dog-master relationship and being able to understand the signs and signals given by their canine colleague. Those who are tasked to do surveillance work may have to go on travels overseas to gather intelligence information.

It takes a special kind of individual to perform the duties of a CBP officer. They have to be morally upright and have a sense of duty and patriotism in putting the welfare of the country above their personal concerns. – less
Learned to be an Immigration Officer.
Immigration Inspector-CBP Officer (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PASeptember 7, 2014
Pros: great people, great management.
Cons: no breaks, rapid work enviroment.
Helped those entering the US for the first time. Met many people of different cultures. Understood what it takes to be an enforcement officer of immigration laws.
One of the best places to work
Technical Writer (Former Employee), Kingstowne Va.August 17, 2014
I enjoyed it very much as the folks I worked with professional and easy to get along with.
Excellent management and agency mission
Contracting Officer (Former Employee), Washington D.C.December 30, 2013
Pros: flexible work schedule and excellent management
Excellent immediate supervisor.
Very receptive mid/upper level management
Co-workers are fully committed to succeeding
The hardest part of the job is planning and the heavy workload at the end of the fiscal year (which is not unexpected)
Many aspects are enjoyable- many hard working and experienced personnel/people; esprit de corp; excellent management; flexible work schedule; ample training opportunities
Interesting
Border Patrol Agent (Current Employee), Boulevard, CAOctober 9, 2013
Fun work, outdoors and fitness driven.
Cons:
Management and home life
What a wonderful place to work!
Security Specialist (Current Employee), Springfield, VASeptember 5, 2013
Pros: fitness center, flexible work schedules, (i.e. telework)
Cons: commuting long distant
I am part of a small COMSEC COR group. We handle about 30 + accounts. On any given day we handle numerous phone calls from accounts, for assistance with their accounting system (DIAS), COMSEC questions or procedures. Being such a small group we get along very well, there is no personally issue. We respect each other views and opinion and are very supportive of each other. The hardest part of my job is not being able to be hands on with some of the accounts because they're located throughout the US. We have to do alot by phone and emails. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with my co-workers, there is always laughter and debates.
Law Enforcement
Officer (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 21, 2013
Pros: law enforcement
Cons: 16hrs day
Apprehended Felons and did investigations. Upheld Federal laws and made arrests.
Best Learning Exprience
Certified U.S. Customs supervisor (Former Employee), Detroit, MIMay 29, 2013
Pros: pay, advancement opportunities
Cons: long work hours
U.S. Customs was a very great learning experience. Excellent training and advancement opportunities. Being in law enforcement no two days were the same. Co-workers were family as we depended on each other for our safety.
Enjoyed the job
Border Patrol Agent (Former Employee), Wellton, AZMarch 26, 2013
I learned quite a lot regarding immigration laws during my time there. Each day was full of new and interesting information and experiences to assimilate and improve myself. The coworkers were great people and I still stay in contact with each of them.
Good training, benefits and pay.
Customs and Border Protection Officer (Current Employee), Presidio, TXJanuary 9, 2013
Within my division, I am appreciated for my work, I am given some decent level of work/life balance and I am able to put my ideas forward without fear of reprisal.
A great place to work
Office Automation Assistant (OA)-0326 (Former Employee), Glynco, GAJanuary 3, 2013
Pros: free to set your own past.
Cons: my term position ended.
I would keep track of the Inventory Taker for the Logistic and Property, I learned a lot how to track the inventory, and how to put it into the system. I enjoyed my boss he was very understanding, my co-workers we worked very well together. the hardest part of the job was none, I really enjoyed working here.
The company I am working is good
Sr. Software Engineer (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAOctober 7, 2012
Work and balance family is good. I love to work CBP projects. I can can proud my self because I am working for US people.
Review
ENTRY SPECIALIST (Former Employee), United StatesAugust 5, 2012
excellent workplace fantastic co-workers never finish learning new jobs.
Working with different ethnic groups
Secretary O.A. (Current Employee), Newark, NJJuly 29, 2012
Pros: awards and ceremonies.
Cons: fake goods and uninvited people coming into america.
Protecting the lives of people who work hard in this country and seizing food, drugs, countfeit money, bootleg materials coming into the United States etc.

About Customs and Border Protection

Customs and Border Protection is the unified border agency within the Department of Homeland Security charged with the management, – Read more

Customs and Border Protection Salaries