Customs and Border Protection

Customs and Border Protection Employee Reviews in United States

Senior management not good
USA. Senior Executive Service (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 11, 2016
Not an enjoyable place to work. Most senior level of management needs removed. Mission is a good mission. Too much emphasis on telework and flexible work schedule and union membership for lower level workers pushing all of the work up. Workdays for productive workers end up being in 12-13 hour range.
Pros
Important mission
Cons
Excessively long hours. 13 hour days.
CBP Internal Affairs
Resident Agent in Charge Internal Affairs (Former Employee) –  Champlain, NYNovember 30, 2015
Had a great experience working in the Internal Affairs office. Great co-worker. Interesting work. Satisfaction of doing a job that was very important to the integrity and survival of CBP as a legitimate law enforcement agency that properly polices itself.
Greatt Pay, Terrible in every other aspect.
CBP Officer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 31, 2015
I can only speak about my Port of Entry (MIA). It was ridiculously non-stop busy there! I have worked as a LEO and deployed overseas with the military but there is no reason for the constant disrespect and horrible morale present at MIA (management and co-workers). I have worked at many, many different places doing different things but I never hated a job as much as this one. The schedule is horrid, the breaks are terribly executed and there are way too many miserable people working there because they feel compelled to stay due to the non-competitive GS-12 pay increase. After all the time I waited to start this position, I knew it wasn't for me. This is the job I have been most happiest to leave!
Pros
Pay
Cons
Evrerything else
under staffed under compensated
Sector Enforcement Specialist 1801-GS-9 47448 (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 24, 2015
This job requires an advanced degree or equivalent experience.
The starting pay for new hires is gs-5. very low salary. we are considered mission critical. we don't have any breaks are required to stay at a console for eight hours. Meals are eaten at your work station. As mission critical employees we were required to stay during the government shutdown.
Benefits
Cons
W orking conditions
productive and busy work place
Lead Mail Clerk (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYOctober 15, 2015
this is a great place to move up and have a stable career. get co workers. You get to know so many different people. Always busy
Customs and Border Protection Officers are the frontline of our borders.
Customs and Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Mission, TXAugust 20, 2015
Rewarding agency, helping and assisting persons from all walks of life. Challenges every day about people, conveyances, and the commercial arena. Unlimited amount of knowledge to learn and develop communcicaton skills. Employees must have a helpful, positive attitude toward people and different cultures.
Pros
Unlimited rewards for helping people.
Cons
Advancement.
Great Experience
HUMAN RESOURCE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 14, 2015
Well organized and competent organization who stick to there core value of integrity. Management was great willing to train and advance their employees
A World Class Law Enforcement Agency
CBPO (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GaApril 19, 2015
CBP is a world class law enforcement agency that enforces over 400 laws/rules and regulations for over 40 federal agencies.
Customs
Physical Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 12, 2015
Good place to work for flexibility of hours. Was stressful due to lots of call offs and no shows. Paid hours for class instruction and credential maintenance.
Pros
good pay
Cons
bad hours
High pressure to interdict illegal materials.
CBP Officer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 9, 2015
A typical day of work would involve reviewing flight manifests. (Cargo airway bills and passenger lists) Management mostly were concerned about having reports submitted in a timely and accurate manner.The hardest part of the job was having to have a suspicious attitude. Working with aircrew and airline staff was enjoyable.
Border Protection
Sector Enforcemment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZJanuary 12, 2015
Remotely monitored night-day camera and sensing systems to detect, monitor, and respond to illegal crossings into the United States. Management and co-workers were a well oiled machine and everyone had each others back in the field and in the office.
Keeping the country safe from terrorists
Custom and Border Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  Presidio, TXDecember 22, 2014
U.S. Customs Border Protection (CBP) officers are at the frontlines in keeping the country safe from terrorists, undesirable aliens, weapons, drugs and other prohibited items. They work at the frontlines in the more than 300 ports of entry in twelve different regions of the United States. They are responsible for ensuring that customs regulations are followed in the entry points in the Southwest, Texas East, Northwest/Northern Border, West Coast, Midwest, Northeast, Central/East Coast and Southeast regions as well as those in Florida, Pacific, Hawaii and Alaska. In a nutshell, the job of the more than 20,000 CBP officers assigned in international airports, seaports and land border crossings is to determine if travelers and cargo should be allowed entry into American soil.

In a typical day, CBP officers perform passenger screening activities to find out if travelers have legitimate business in the United States and possess all the necessary documents to prove it. They are the first persons that passengers arriving into the country will meet. They are also responsible for performing physical checks, inspecting passports and other documents and allowing or denying them entry to our gates.

Aside from people, CBP officers are also tasked with looking into the passengers’ pieces of luggage as well as cargo to ensure that these do not contain any prohibited items or illegal drugs. The prevention of smuggling activities is an important part of their job so they do thorough checks of cargoes and containers found in commercial trucks and passenger vehicles, ships and airplanes. They
  more... may even use advanced tools and equipment as well as K-9 teams to help in conducting these inspections.

In addition to their role in the frontlines, CBP officers are also highly-involved in the fight against terrorism. They provide intelligence information or even work together with other law enforcement officers like the Drug Enforcement Administration, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and other agencies, to identify terrorists who are already operating in the country or prevent others from entering. They may also work together with other agencies to seize weapons and other dangerous firearms. They coordinate with these agencies especially in matters that affect national security.

Although protecting the country from terrorists and preventing smuggled items from entering the country are important aspects of the job, CBP officers are also responsible for facilitating the flow of legitimate passengers and legal trade. They accommodate travelers from foreign countries who are able to show that they possess the legal documents to stay in the United States for business, pleasure or a combination of both. They also welcome back U.S. citizens who have traveled abroad and are returning home. They also see to it that cargo and luggage that don’t contain any prohibited items are allowed to pass through. They also ensure that imported items that have the proper documentation are allowed entry.

It is part of the job of the CBP officers to thoroughly talk with the travelers seeking to gain entry into the United States. They interview each individual thoroughly about their purpose in the country. They also check the documents and passports of each traveler thoroughly to ascertain that these are not fake. CBP officers need to pay particular attention to details not only in the documents but in the behavior and gestures of the person they are interviewing as well. Sometimes, those who have something to hide reveal their true intention through their actions. CBP officers have to be alert to these cues.

Due to the demands of the occupation, CBP officers have to be physically strong and mentally tough. Overtime and shift work are regular features of the job. The job also has an element of danger which might necessitate the use of firearms. CBP officers who are assigned to the K-9 team will have additional responsibilities in caring for his partner canine, nurturing their dog-master relationship and being able to understand the signs and signals given by their canine colleague. Those who are tasked to do surveillance work may have to go on travels overseas to gather intelligence information.

It takes a special kind of individual to perform the duties of a CBP officer. They have to be morally upright and have a sense of duty and patriotism in putting the welfare of the country above their personal concerns.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Learned to be an Immigration Officer.
Immigration Inspector-CBP Officer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 7, 2014
Helped those entering the US for the first time. Met many people of different cultures. Understood what it takes to be an enforcement officer of immigration laws.
Pros
great people, great management.
Cons
no breaks, rapid work enviroment.
One of the best places to work
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Kingstowne Va.August 17, 2014
I enjoyed it very much as the folks I worked with professional and easy to get along with.
CBP is an excellent government agency
Branch Chief, Trade Operations Division (Former Employee) –  JFK Airport, Jamaica, NYJanuary 7, 2014
I worked for CBP for over 35 years and progressed from an entry-level position to branch chief. There was much room for advancement for a motivated and hard-working employee.
Pros
retirement system, advancement potential
Cons
not all managers and supervisors were equally competent
Interesting
Border Patrol Agent (Current Employee) –  Boulevard, CAOctober 9, 2013
Fun work, outdoors and fitness driven.
Cons:
Management and home life
What a wonderful place to work!
Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VASeptember 5, 2013
I am part of a small COMSEC COR group. We handle about 30 + accounts. On any given day we handle numerous phone calls from accounts, for assistance with their accounting system (DIAS), COMSEC questions or procedures. Being such a small group we get along very well, there is no personally issue. We respect each other views and opinion and are very supportive of each other. The hardest part of my job is not being able to be hands on with some of the accounts because they're located throughout the US. We have to do alot by phone and emails. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with my co-workers, there is always laughter and debates.
Pros
fitness center, flexible work schedules, (i.e. telework)
Cons
commuting long distant
Law Enforcement
Officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 21, 2013
Apprehended Felons and did investigations. Upheld Federal laws and made arrests.
Pros
law enforcement
Cons
16hrs day
Best Learning Exprience
Certified U.S. Customs supervisor (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 29, 2013
U.S. Customs was a very great learning experience. Excellent training and advancement opportunities. Being in law enforcement no two days were the same. Co-workers were family as we depended on each other for our safety.
Pros
pay, advancement opportunities
Cons
long work hours
Enjoyed the job
Border Patrol Agent (Former Employee) –  Wellton, AZMarch 26, 2013
I learned quite a lot regarding immigration laws during my time there. Each day was full of new and interesting information and experiences to assimilate and improve myself. The coworkers were great people and I still stay in contact with each of them.

4.3