CVPH Medical Center Employee Reviews

CVPH has very good benefits
Clerk III (Current Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYJuly 24, 2017
I have worked there for a long time and it has been a good place to work. I learned a great deal while doing all my different duties as a transcriptionist, secretary and now a clerk. My favorite position was working in environmental services. I worked with some great people and met some very nice patients.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Need a change from sitting in front of a computer.
Was treated miserably.
Unit Clerk (R6 Orthopedic/Neurology) (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NY 12901June 22, 2017
After 7 years of working there, my job was eliminated without a second thought. There was no warning and I was told not by my director but rather by a co-worker that I would not have a job.
Great experience
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYMay 6, 2017
Just like every place, there are pros and cons. However there is a wonderful chance to gain experience if you are willing to learn, and help. Every patient make every bad experience worth it.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Critical staffing at times
Aweful place to work
I worked several different places (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYSeptember 9, 2016
I worked here almost 20 years ago and it was great. At first.
But that went down hill quick.
No employee appreciation, union only looks out for management and upper levels, terrible benefits, and if they want you gone, your toast. I really don't have much good to say about that place.
Pros
The patients you care for, coworkers.
Cons
Everything else.
Teamwork
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYSeptember 16, 2015
I worked with a Fantastic group of Nurses and Aids. My co-workers work hard, are efficient , and supportive to our patients and to one another.
learn alot here
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Glendora, CASeptember 9, 2015
director is so understanding susan she is an amazing boss, flexible hours, so much to learn abut diff. diets. great place
Pros
free lunches
Cons
It was fun when I made it fun.
Junior Volunteer Program (Former Employee) –  New York, 12901August 3, 2015
The Junior Volunteer Program was horrible and I do not intend to do it again. It was a huge waste of time and very boring. If they had a more fun instructor and offered more of the volunteer options it would have been better for me.
Productive workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  75 Beekman StreetJuly 27, 2015
A typical day at work for me would be clocking in a 12, then I would go and ask my co workers what they had for me to do that day. I would mainly have to make charts but at other times I would bring the new mothers snacks, water, and ask them if they needed anything. My co workers were very nice people and they all helped me out a lot. The hardest part of the job I thought was making charts because there were so many to make, but I also thought that was the most enjoyable part of the job because I always had something to do.
Pros
Nice co workers
Cons
Not a lot of jobs to do
Very fast pace.
ENVIORMENTAL SERVICES WORKER (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYMarch 31, 2015
 Responsible for cleaning rooms all over the hospital.
 Responsible for having the basic knowledge of chemicals and how to clean up after a spill.
 Responsible for helping to keep patients happy
This was an extremely busy hospital emergency department
Clerk IV - Emergency Care Center (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYMarch 2, 2015
I worked as the "Face and Voice" of the Emergency Department. When you go to the emergency department when you're sick, the nurse puts you in a room, the doctor comes in to see you, he tells you he's going to order blood work, urine tests, x rays, CT scan, and other things. Then he brings that order to me. I enter all of those orders into the computer and if he wants them done "STAT" or immediately, I call the appropriate departments to have them come right away and fax them a copy of the order so they can see for themselves that it was ordered correctly and if the doctor made any notes on the order form so they can expedite your orders.
The hardest part of the job is working under a lot of pressure, but it's also a lot of fun. The day goes by incredibly fast! You have to be a team player and not be too sensitive because working under that kind of stress people sometimes snap at each other but no one means it. It is all part of the job.
Pros
Co-workers become like family. The shift goes by fast.
Cons
It's incredibly high paced, and high stress
Interesting, busy job
Clinical assistant (Former Employee) –  plattsburgh, nyJanuary 13, 2015
I enjoyed helping care for patients. It was a very buys job that had constant interaction with both patients and physicians. I worked a variety of shifts and had many different responsibilities such as phlebotomy.
Like one big family
Float Pool Worker (Current Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYJanuary 2, 2015
Work is always busy but always productive. I have learned a lot about how complex the hospital on a daily basis and how much work and responsibility it takes pure dedication to get where they have been today. Management works super hard to get important tasks accomplished and communicate to the best of their knowledge. They work super hard to help the hospital and their employees to make difference for the better. My co-worker are usually hard workers themselves and everyone is always moving and doing something to help maintain the environment. The hardest part of the job is taking on tasks that can be time consuming and time management has to be key. Also hard to see what patients endure on a regular basis due to their health issues. I enjoy being there for those patients who are there to heal in every way they can and I take pride in the work I do in order to help them. I also enjoy working with co-workers who are good communicators and take their job seriously but can still smile at the end of the day.
Pros
great benefits and good vacation times, great holiday pay
Cons
non-team players who complain about everything and let their jobs make them miserable and bitter
Good place to work. Good people
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYDecember 18, 2014
CVPH Medical Center now University of Vermont Medical Center was a good place to work. Felt like you were helping people. A lot of teamwork in the work environment.

Healthcare has a lot of stress therefore, a typical day was full of interviewing working with managers and trying to get a schedule to have candidate meet hiring manager. The day just flew. At the end of the day you were literally exhausted but felt that you had found a candidate for the Unit and that was so fortifying.
Horrible
Clinical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYSeptember 25, 2014
No one cares about patient safety! Everyone is out to help themsevles and patient care isn't number one since the say i started.
Pros
The wage
not bad
Clinical Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYMay 23, 2014
Nothing good or bad to say at this point the hospital is going through a lot of changes at this time.
worst place ever to work
Critical Care & Medical- Surgical Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYMay 18, 2014
cvph is full of management that sit & laugh in their offices while nurses on the floor are incredibly busy. Rebekka Shutts is the worst of all of them. She will only degrade a person instead of giving a simple compliment
Small City hospital, very friendly heart surgery team.
Senior Perfusionist (Current Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYJanuary 26, 2014
A typical case day would consist of the normal review of the patient's chart, filling out paperwork including the STS form, setting up the bypass tubing with oxygenator kit. Priming the circuit and getting the cannula needed for the surgery. Sometimes you would get called in for an emergent case. Could be a case from Cath Lab with a IABP. At CVPH I have done Adult ECMO procedures. Occasional DHCA cases. After the case I would setup a dry circuit for a call case or the next day's case. I would help clean the room usually help mop. CVPH has a dedicated heart surgery team so you worked with the same people for all cases. We were very friendly. Sometimes we would get together after a case for dinner and just relaxing. I think the comradely of the team was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Not a great place to work
Employee (Current Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYJanuary 31, 2013
If you want your job to come before your family, your personal life, your health then this is the place for you. Even in situations where a family member has passed away, CVPH expects you to do for them and put that in the background. No compassion for employees at all. It is micromanaged, mean spirited in the way employees are treated..you have no rights whatsoever and are not able to voice an opinion in any way, shape or form without disciplinary action..Management is power hungry, administration is heartless, coworkers can be good but you have to be careful with everyone. Benefits were good at one time, now they are poor, part time takes the biggest hit, paying high premiums for health insurance with low hours to cover, working to pay for insurance and gas to get there, no money to pay your bills. Insurance has extremely high deductible. No job security, if they want you out, they will find a way no matter how good of an employee you are. Union works closely with administration to protect the management team and their own representatives but do not help the union body who pays their dues faithfully. Patients showing appreciation for you is the only good part because they are the only ones who give you any compliments or thank yous for what you do. One of the worst places in town to work..Beware..
Pros
not many
Cons
you name it, it can be listed here.
Terrible place to work
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYJanuary 11, 2013
A typical day at work was wondering what you were going to do to be treated like an idiot. What I learned is that no matter how hard you worked or produced all it took was one mistake to have your supervisor come down on your back. Management none.... and as previously stated locked in the 1950s with no clue how to treat people. My co-workers were great, most of them. The hardest part of the day was first thing in the morning. You never knew what you were going to face or if you could get help. The most enjoyable part of the day was 5 p.m.
Pros
having a job i guess.
Cons
unapproachable management, being made to feel incompetent for asking a question. terrible management period.
Great work place
CNA (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYDecember 30, 2012
Fun and vary rewarding job. CVPH works with its employees to the best that they can and also there are great benefits.