Cyberonics

Cyberonics Employer Reviews

Disfunctional
Engineer (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: company manages to make money each quarter and has a great bonus program.
Cons: too much documentation, not enough meaningful work, too many planning and re-planning meetings, no clear plan for the future.
A typical day at work is spent reviewing and creating documentation. Then training on how to do it and recreating it after the FDA audits.

I have learned that you spend an exponentially greater time "properly" documenting a new design than you actually get to spend designing it. Unfortunately, I have learned no new marketable skills while here.

Upper – more... management seems out of touch with what is really going on where as mid management is spread too thin to direct limited resources properly. This creates a lot of frustration when extra resources are promised but never a reality.

Immediate Co-workers are great but all in all the company is very cliquey. Too little cooperation between departments. Always an "Us against them" environment. Too many inexperienced people in key roles.

Chances of career growth are limited due to small product portfolio. It's all about who you know, not what you know which leads to inexperienced people in key roles that are unable to make a decision.

The hardest part of the job is staying motivated due to boredom, too many meetings, and lack of interesting work.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the rare opportunity when you actually get to perform design engineering work.

...and yes there is a ping pong table and on site work out room. – less
Fun and productive workplace with onsite Gym, Personal Trainer and Ping Pong Table
Human Resources (Current Employee), Houston, TXDecember 3, 2013
Pros: onsite lunches, gym, fitness classes, ping pong tournaments, chili cookoffs, golf tournements, games, salary, bonus and the people!
Great organization allowing you to be creative, yourself and fun. The product is amazing and ultimately we all get the opportunity to help improve the lives of our patients every day in the role we play with Cyberonics. The people are diverse, kind and helpful and I believe this is truly a great place to begin, grow or continue your career.
Challenging and very demanding
Assistant General Counsel (Former Employee), Clear Lake, TXJuly 31, 2013
Pros: exposure to diverse work
Cons: often i was spread too thin
This position provided ample opportunities to work on a variety of projects. The Legal Department also grew over time as the legal needs of the company grew.
Not a good engineering work environment for most
Manufacturing (Electrical) Engineer (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 18, 2013
Pros: on site fitness center, many community activities, corporate christmas party, bonus plan
Cons: poor office environment (noisy, disruptive, not enough lab space), cliquey, poor direct management, poor healthcare benefits--no options, too many contractors in key roles.
A typical day at work: is spent in planning meetings, filling out redundant documentation, and training on how to fill out this documentation.

What I learned: I learned no new skills while employed at Cyberonics. It is a very boring job and my role and responsibilities did not match the job description that I was hired for!

Management: Young and inexperienced--to – more... the point of being ineffective. No people skills--not a good people manager.

Your co-workers: A lot of good people but a very cliquey atmosphere and culture. It's hard to fit in unless you already know someone that works there. Group to group interaction is poor. Too much "us against them" mentality. No sense of team work, even in your immediate group.

The hardest part of the job: Figuring out what you are responsible to do. There are too many overlapping and undefined responsibilities group to group. I worked for a group manager and with several project managers. Each have a different idea of what my responsibilities are. The group manager never managed--too busy working on his own projects.

The most enjoyable part of the job: None for me so I left. As an engineer there is just too much documentation and not enough engineering work. Things move at a VERY slow pace due to poor culture, lack of experienced people, and lack of resources. I simply did not research the company enough before I joined.

The location is in the SE Houston I-45 Corridor. It's a VERY hard commute unless you live in the immediate area. Housing costs in the immediate area are relatively high.

Turn over is high depending on the group. Departments do not work well together. It is a reactive organization which means poor or no planning. Small company with a small company mentality--trying to present a facade of a mature well run company to drive up stock prices.

No sense of job security:
Big push to off shore manufacturing.
Low tech product and manufacturing processes.
No product diversity. – less
Strange Place to Work
Firmware Engineer (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 14, 2013
Pros: pay, bonus, friendly people
Cons: frustrating work environment that is very non productive
A typical day at work is spent looking for a new job!

I am learning nothing new while here.

Lack of quality leadership/management at all levels of engineering.

Most managers lead from behind--never making any decisions or providing guidance. Management moves you from project to project with no warning making it difficult to focus.

Many good co-workers. – more... Too few experienced people. Too many Ph.D's with no industry experience and a chip on their shoulder. Too many contractors with no "skin in the game".

The hardest part of the job is to stay focused and positive in a backwards environment with too many meetings and distractions.

The most enjoyable part of the job: For me, there is not one.

Company as a whole does not know how to develop new products. They do not have the right mindset as they have never done it before as current product is over 10 years old. They are growing too fast with inexperienced leaders in too many key positions.

Low tech electronics designs. Low tech manufacturing.

"Meet the dates we'll fix it later" mentality.

Poor career choice for me, but I needed a pay check. – less
It may be a good place to work but does not know how to handle new product development.
Engineer (Current Employee), HoustonJanuary 4, 2013
Pros: on site gym, bonus
Cons: misguided product development, poor healtcare benefits, not a place for long term career development.
The company overall does a good job trying to make employees happy. Job satisfaction varies department to department. Engineering and new product development in general is lacking. The company does not know how to develop new products nor has the culture or mindset to get it done. There are a lot of new hires that have never designed, developed, and – more... launched a product into production. They do have masters degrees and PhD's but no real on the job experience. This is evident across the whole company and not just R&D. The existing products have been on the market for decades with only minor modifications. Their engineering and manufacturing processes are outdated. Interaction between groups is very difficult as responsibilities are overlapping and undefined. As with most organizations, the stock performance for next quarter is the most important goal. Product quality is an after thought. There also is job uncertainty in the future as manufacturing is moving off shore to Cost Rica. Who knows what other functions will follow... Definitely not a long term career choice by any means.

A typical day at work is spent in meetings leaving little time to focus on tasks. Decisions are made by committee as most departments lack leadership with real experience. Project/Team meetings leave you frustrated and confused and are little more than a waste of time in most cases. Most people work on several projects that end up magnifying the problem. The only way to complete your tasks is to work 50 plus hours a week.

I have learned nothing while at this company. In fact my skills are going to waste. I no longer do anything technical that requires any thought or creativity. Often I feel I made a very poor career choice coming here.

Overall lower level management it lacking due to inexperience. Mid-level management is just trying to hang on until retirement and upper level management is more concerned with boosting the stock price so they can cash in on their many stock options.

Most co-workers are great. Due to the size of the company it can get very cliquey depending on what department you work in. So, you do need to watch your back.

The hardest part of the job is trying to figure out what is expected of you day to day. It is also difficult to focus due to boredom.

The most enjoyable part of the job is using the onsite gym. – less
Great Company and good product
VNS Therapeutic Consultant (Former Employee), Miami, FLSeptember 19, 2012
Pros: excellent company
Cons: area manger, with no knowlwdge how to treat people.
Great company to work with. Manager, with a wrong attitude to sales people.
experienced professionals
quality (Former Employee), houstonAugust 7, 2012
I am a professional with 20 years experience who took a job with Cyberonics over a year ago. I am being passed on for promotions while being used as target practice by management for juniors to advance thier career. I have seen this happening to a few others around here as well. If you are 45 and over, kiss your career bye if you take a job in there.

AnonymousMay2013 – May 18, 2013

Not just in the QA group. I witnessed this as well during my short stay at Cyberonics. There is a select few "Core" people that seem to be blessed. They can do no wrong and move up within the organization even though they have no corporate experience and lack the knowledge to accomplish basic tasks.

my review of Cyberonics
quality (Former Employee), houstonJune 23, 2012
I took a quality job and relocated out of state. Things to watch-out for. Thier Quality organization has high turn over rate; either people quit or get fired. My predessor was fired after 10 years of service for poor performance, da! another fellow who was relocated from CA was fired after 1.5 years of service for poor performance. When they relocate – more... you, they would get you to sign a contract that if you quit in 24 months, you owe them the relcoation money; unfair proposition, they sort of pass on all the risk to you. Thier style of management is micro type- top down; for 12 months, I averaged 12hours/day of work and when I expressed concern, I was told they were paying me more so they expect more. There is lack of medical device professionals in the area and so they mostly fill thier positions by relocating people out of the area or get H visa workers by promising them green card. – less

Billbo – August 21, 2012

I agree! Working in the quality group, as a whole, is less than desirable. In most cases they are just in the way. No leadership. No clear direction. You are left on your own with no direction, no support, unclear expectations, varying expectations from group to group, and no hope to succeed. I made a poor career choice joining this group. The company seems like a good place to work though. Hopefully I can move to another group before I ruin my career and get fired.

Good Workplace
ORGANIZATIONAL DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 4, 2012
Great workplace! The management is dedicated to providing an environment that is conducive of employee engagement and cohesiveness.
Great manager!
Senior Software Engineer/Technical Team Lead (Current Employee), Houston, TexasApril 29, 2012
Pros: great manager, good people.
Cons: n/a
Too many meetings for problem resolution. Procedures need to be streamlined to better minimize so many meetings.

About Cyberonics

Cyberonics is a sharply innovative and progressive medical device company whose commitment to our mission is unsurpassed! Our – Read more