Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Employee Reviews

First job
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMarch 23, 2017
This was my first job from college so I gained a lot of entry level experience. Professional people and culture. They provide good support to families.
Pros
Nice location
Worthwhile mission
Development Director (Former Employee) –  United StatesMarch 17, 2017
The CF Foundation serves a great purpose and is doing great work, especially considering there is no federal funding for CF.

The CEO does a good job of trying to create and promote a positive culture. There is a lot of separation between the national office and the chapters; very little collaboration throughout the organization; each chapter is basically it's own small business. You very much work in silos.

Meeting or hearing from any other manager than your own is unheard of. Accessibility of those people is virtually non-existent, even your boss' boss, which is terrible. They do not check in at all, which sometimes creates a situation where problems are perpetuated.

My advice- Do your research and ask a lot of questions before accepting a position in a chapter office. Ask about turnover- there is always a reason why people leave and that information is telling. Make sure you get the full picure and try to talk to as many staff people to see how they view the office dynamic. Keep an eye out for warning signs of a poor culture and do not ignore them!

*Important to note: I only have experience in one chapter and although my experience was not positive, I'm sure there are plenty other offices that are great. Just do your research and ask questions.
Pros
35 hour work week (outside of events), competitive pay
Cons
Office dynamic, lack of training for managers (and therefore they are not very good), lack of accessibility with management
Good place to gain experience.
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 9, 2017
I took on an unpaid internship, so pay was non-existent. I was told from the start that there was no room for me to become an actual employee, so I can't complain because I knew what I was getting into. Management was really cool and I learned a lot. It was a great experience.
Worst Company
Insurance Verification Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMarch 6, 2017
Management is very unorganized. Management gossips and picks favorites on team. Very unprofessional. When team is down employees, supervisors don't assist.
Great Mission, multi layer management
Development Director (Current Employee) –  High Point, NCJanuary 17, 2017
Mission of curing CF is great and admirable. Too many layers on management and compliance. Constantly changing procedures and upper management has bloated salary.
Pros
felxibility, community
Cons
management, top down, fund raising
very good place to work
Customer Service Representative - Call Center (Former Employee) –  Wilson, NCJanuary 9, 2017
Great company to work for. Work got slack and they had to lay off. Pay was great and atmosphere was great. The peoples was friendly and great to work with.
Pros
they pay great
Cons
they lay off
Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 9, 2016
This was strictly and internship to graduate college. I helped organize events and grown into what I was interested in.
Productive and fun workplace.
Cash Receipt Representative (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDNovember 10, 2016
Cystic Fibrosis was an enjoyable place to work. Got a chance to meet with patient's that have the disease. The employees are caring and very understanding.
Pros
Birthday celebrations
Cons
short breaks
A wonderful mission to get behind and support!
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 25, 2016
A wonderful mission to get behind and support! I worked along side some amazing people and have the utmost respect for the CFF and all that it does!
High turnover and stressful environment
Operations (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHMay 6, 2016
Take caution before accepting a job in the Central Ohio Chapter. Very high turnover and extremely stressful. Executive Director will appear nice at first but, becomes very demanding and will micro-micro manage staff. Four people gone under her leadership in ONE year.
Benefits
Cons
Leadership
Very productive and nice place to work with a soda machine
Sr. Admin Assistant & Marketing Specialists (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDNovember 5, 2015
This is a very nice company to work for; they are very understanding when it come to your family, especially when you have young children.
Pros
Nice free lunches
Cons
Healthcare is only PPO
Stress
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 1, 2015
Place was a stress time bomb ready to go off. When I work there, we had no Executive Director, People were quitting left and right and we still had to get fundraisers off the ground. I was me, the admin asst and the Asst Director putting on all of the summers fundraisers.
Great work team! Extraordinary organization.
Development Director (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 1, 2015
Meaningful work with commitment volunteers and supportive team mates. Strong focus of all employees and volunteers on common goal of ending cf for all patients with the 1900+ mutations that cause cystic fibrosis and improving the quailty of life for all patients.
Pros
Meaningful and inspiring work
Cons
Inconsistent schedule
The worst job I ever had
Event Director (Former Employee) –  Troy, MichiganAugust 23, 2015
While The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation is admirable and noble in its efforts to support families, patients and funding, working in the Troy, Michigan office was one of the most horrible and frustrating experiences I have ever had! When the economy tanked in the mid 2000s, I was forced after a layoff to leave a lucrative position as a national Show Manager, directing events with budgets of $100,000-$1 million each, .to serve as an Event Director in Troy. Initially I was positive and had very high hopes, but the national office and, in particular, the local Troy office was poorly managed and staffed with vastly, underqualified management and staff. Most positions were filled via "strong-arming" by a Board comprised mostly of "family members" from the CF community (and consummate nepotists)! Furthermore, the Foundation and local office's understanding of event management or planning was extremely minimal. I never witnessed responsible financial planning or fiscal responsibility, only a pathetic reliance on emotionally – driven members of an afflicted community who were manipulated to meet fundraising goals! Now, if someone was inclined to be beaten into managing little walkathons with hotdogs and such, then perhaps they would be a good fit... Otherwise, STEER CLEAR!
Pros
Tiny office with small staff
Cons
Too numerous to mention
Great Pay but no life/work balance
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  NationwideJune 24, 2015
Great Pay but no life/work balance

National Office not in tune to local offices and communities

Nice benefit packet

Let volunteers have too many opinions in running operations and management of the day to day

Won't share all financial data with volunteers who are expected to help meet goals

Run offices on a shoe string staff that overburdens and burns out team
Benefits
Cons
Lots of special events and top down approach doesn't work
Amazing Experience
Special Events Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 17, 2015
I loved every minute of my internship with this amazing organization. I learned so much and was in awe of their fundraising capabilities. I would love to work for them in the future.
Enjoyed my busy schedule with the balance of a little fun
Manager of Registrations & Support Services (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJune 4, 2015
Working to service the CF community is a job I enjoyed. Be able to help patients obtain coverage for their much needed medications and they are very expensive was always a pleasure to me. Working for an organization that put the patients first was extremely rewarding.
Pros
Being able to hear the appreciation from the customer when we have done well
Cons
Sometimes we forget that there is a sick child that need our service, and we start complaining about the upset mom who has the sick child 24/7
Nice place to work
Productive and fun
Temp assigment
Pharmacy
enjoyed working there
Cons
Temp assigment
Great benefits
Development Director (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 6, 2015
The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation is a good place to work but not a lot of free time for your personal life. Co-workers were okay.
Nice clean work enviroment busy not too much socializing with co-workers.
Fundraiser Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIApril 28, 2015
What I liked most about being employed here were the hours. The hours were nine am to five pm Monday through Thursday. Fridays were eight am until three pm That really made the work week not as hectic.
Pros
Hours and enviroment
Cons
Hourly pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Our community is ready to answer.

Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Reviews by Location