Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Employee Reviews in United States

Stress
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 1, 2015
Place was a stress time bomb ready to go off. When I work there, we had no Executive Director, People were quitting left and right and we still had to get fundraisers off the ground. I was me, the admin asst and the Asst Director putting on all of the summers fundraisers.
Great Pay but no life/work balance
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  NationwideJune 24, 2015
Great Pay but no life/work balance

National Office not in tune to local offices and communities

Nice benefit packet

Let volunteers have too many opinions in running operations and management of the day to day

Won't share all financial data with volunteers who are expected to help meet goals

Run offices on a shoe string staff that overburdens and burns out team
Benefits
Cons
Lots of special events and top down approach doesn't work
High turnover and stressful environment
Operations (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHMay 6, 2016
Take caution before accepting a job in the Central Ohio Chapter. Very high turnover and extremely stressful. Executive Director will appear nice at first but, becomes very demanding and will micro-micro manage staff. Four people gone under her leadership in ONE year.
Benefits
Cons
Leadership
Great mission - terrible management and culture
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYApril 20, 2013
CFF has made great advancements in the search for a cure for CF but is a horrible place to work. The ED had no idea what is going on in the chapter offices and played favorites. My work load was over-bearing with lots of overtime and no compensation or appreciation. There was lots of incompetence among the upper management in the chapter offices as well as lots of undue pressure and stress. Also, the fundraising goals were unrealistic and unattainable with increases each year expected of 10 to 12%. I was threatened with job termination on a number of occasions in subtle and overt ways. There was no advancement unless you schmoozed the ED and was not dependent on the quality of your work.
Pros
cf families and patients are wonderful and are a pleasure to work with.
Cons
favoritism, heavy workload, management were tyrants
EOE, non-profit health organization
Administrative Assistant/Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIOctober 23, 2012
Maintain database, open and distribute mail, verify and deposit income, accounts payable, bulk mailing, greet visitors, answer multi-line phone, balance ledgers monthly with corporate office records, correspondence, maintain confidential material, oversee volunteers, order supplies, maintain office equipment, general office duties.
Most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling that I have helped in the process of finding a cure for cystic fibrosis.
Pros
very good benefits, friendly co-workers
Cons
no warning of closing the office; corporate office located in bethesda, md
Making a difference to those that have Cystic Fibrosis is what life is all about.
Volunteer Fundraising Event Chairperson (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 7, 2013
We work with over 100 dedicated volunteers and 25 chairpersons that lead the North Texas Wine Opener each year. Each year more and more financial sponsors and event sponsors give generously to raise record amounts of fundraising dollars for CF research. We work tirelessly 11 months out of the year to ensure the success of the Cystic Fibrosis North Texas Wine Opener each year.
Project Manager
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Plano, TexasJanuary 21, 2014
• Organized charity fundraisers by partnering with local businesses to plan and schedule events.
• Created and distributed all marketing material for advertisement of events.
• Designed and ordered merchandise to be sold for monetary donations.
• Handling of all cash and online donations.
• Networked with other charity based societies for sponsorship.
• Created a team environment by creating goals and effective coaching.
Very productive and nice place to work with a soda machine
Sr. Admin Assistant & Marketing Specialists (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDNovember 5, 2015
This is a very nice company to work for; they are very understanding when it come to your family, especially when you have young children.
Pros
Nice free lunches
Cons
Healthcare is only PPO
Great work team! Extraordinary organization.
Development Director (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 1, 2015
Meaningful work with commitment volunteers and supportive team mates. Strong focus of all employees and volunteers on common goal of ending cf for all patients with the 1900+ mutations that cause cystic fibrosis and improving the quailty of life for all patients.
Pros
Meaningful and inspiring work
Cons
Inconsistent schedule
The worst job I ever had
Event Director (Former Employee) –  Troy, MichiganAugust 23, 2015
While The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation is admirable and noble in its efforts to support families, patients and funding, working in the Troy, Michigan office was one of the most horrible and frustrating experiences I have ever had! When the economy tanked in the mid 2000s, I was forced after a layoff to leave a lucrative position as a national Show Manager, directing events with budgets of $100,000-$1 million each, .to serve as an Event Director in Troy. Initially I was positive and had very high hopes, but the national office and, in particular, the local Troy office was poorly managed and staffed with vastly, underqualified management and staff. Most positions were filled via "strong-arming" by a Board comprised mostly of "family members" from the CF community (and consummate nepotists)! Furthermore, the Foundation and local office's understanding of event management or planning was extremely minimal. I never witnessed responsible financial planning or fiscal responsibility, only a pathetic reliance on emotionally – driven members of an afflicted community who were manipulated to meet fundraising goals! Now, if someone was inclined to be beaten into managing little walkathons with hotdogs and such, then perhaps they would be a good fit... Otherwise, STEER CLEAR!
Pros
Tiny office with small staff
Cons
Too numerous to mention
Lack of synergy amongst staff
Development Director (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 8, 2012
The overall goals of the Foundation are admirable, in that they directly fund research to cure the disease.

There seems to be a lack of a motivated "team effort" towards acheiving the office goals.

High turnover makes for difficult event volunteer successorship, as communication with constituents drops from departing staff member, and relationships have to be rebuilt.
Pros
flexible work schedule, 401k, health care.
Fundraising for a cause
Fundraiser Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Farmington, CTJuly 27, 2013
I love working for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. It is a volunteer position that is dear to my heart. Both of my children have CF. I am very determined to do all that I can to raise funds for science so that they may be able to create new medications or treatments. Hopefully, one day soon, they will come up with a cure.
Enjoyed my busy schedule with the balance of a little fun
Manager of Registrations & Support Services (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJune 4, 2015
Working to service the CF community is a job I enjoyed. Be able to help patients obtain coverage for their much needed medications and they are very expensive was always a pleasure to me. Working for an organization that put the patients first was extremely rewarding.
Pros
Being able to hear the appreciation from the customer when we have done well
Cons
Sometimes we forget that there is a sick child that need our service, and we start complaining about the upset mom who has the sick child 24/7
Nice place to work
Productive and fun
Temp assigment
Pharmacy
enjoyed working there
Cons
Temp assigment
Amazing Experience
Special Events Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 17, 2015
I loved every minute of my internship with this amazing organization. I learned so much and was in awe of their fundraising capabilities. I would love to work for them in the future.
Nice clean work enviroment busy not too much socializing with co-workers.
Fundraiser Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIApril 28, 2015
What I liked most about being employed here were the hours. The hours were nine am to five pm Monday through Thursday. Fridays were eight am until three pm That really made the work week not as hectic.
Pros
Hours and enviroment
Cons
Hourly pay
Prductive
GNY- Regional Office Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 26, 2012
Fast pass fund raising office. Processing all receivables and process all invoice relating to office and fund raising events. Handle daily mail and distribution. Worked closly with the Executive Direct and all Fund Raising Directors and Administrative Staff.

Staff worked as a team with one purpose and that was to make sure we meet or excessed the office campaign goals set by National Office.

The hardest part of the job was the event logistics - which I enjoyed because there was alway a challenge to make sure all nesscessary paperwork,supplies,trucking arrangements,packing etc. where processed and ordered according to deadlines.

The enjoyable park of the job was making our goals which supplied the funds for CF research.
Pros
time given after campaigns
Cons
time between campaigns
GNY- Regional Office Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 27, 2012
Processed bank deposits, billing and contracts in systems provided. Order supplies and any Specail Event supplies needs. Assisted Executive Director, Directors with event related projects.

How to think - daily tasks though for positive end results.

Management was very supportive and supplied staff with the necessary tools to be sucessful with meeting their fund raising budgets.

I feel that they were a very good team.

It did not matter if our Events were big or small keeping up and making sure everyones projects were on target for sucessful events. Processing all paperwork (Contracts, License etc.) in a timely maner.

Making our goals so that the Foundation would continue to have the funds for research.
Great benefits
Development Director (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 6, 2015
The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation is a good place to work but not a lot of free time for your personal life. Co-workers were okay.
Enjoy working
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wilson, NCJanuary 25, 2015
Working night went in go paper work for the production floor to start to work. Managenent was easy to work for had a really nice boss.
Co-worker were alway friendly. Having to write them up for being late or being asbent. Just being around people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Our community is ready to answer.