D&S Community Services

D&S Community Services Employer Reviews

Horrible
Dsp (Former Employee), Cookeville tnDecember 1, 2014
This company does not follow state rules or regulations management doesn't know there head from there butt they work your butt off and never thank you and if u mess up ur gone so they don't have your back trust me there are way way better companies too work for
Great SR. Horrible mangement .
SN (Former Employee), Jackson TnNovember 17, 2014
Pros: helping your sr
Cons: favoritism.give jobs to whom they want to have them. forget about senority, experience .
Do not follow policy and gets away with it. Treat employees like dirt.
Unorganized, terrible management, high turn over rate!
Dsp (Current Employee), Morehead, KYNovember 14, 2014
Pros: free food, nice people, great experience working with the disabled, get paid to sleep
Cons: healthcare, terrible management, no communication, day program does nothing
The management always takes the house managers sides, even though the staff had been complaining of the house manager for weeks!! They continue to give the house staff even more jobs to do making it easier on the higher staff whom get paid more than house staff and do nearly nothing. You're offered a lot of overtime, but once you accept that first overtime, they'll call and beg you every single time they need someone to come in because the house manager doesn't want to work extra hours. The individuals are great to work with, but the day program they're sent to; they do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!! Many times have I been called to bring in my paperwork multiple times due to the office staff losing it! There is terrible communication throughout the houses, house manager to house staff and to the higher up. I do not recommended ANYONE to work here!!!!!!!
Overworke,d underpaid, no support ,high turnover rates, no life
Home manager (Current Employee), Denton, TxOctober 6, 2014
Pros: lots of overtime, working with clients of the home
Cons: no breaks, not enough pay!, sometimes you get stuck at the job
I have been working with D&S for a few months and in these few months I can say there is no communication everything is completely spontaneous and unorganized. The pay and health plan do not even compare to the work that you have to do if you're in need of immediate help the office staff will not help you. They literally only do their 9-5 mon-fir and that's it! I am a mon-fri fulltime staff and I probably work more then the people in the office. I pull 70hr weeks because of no staff and people calling in my advice to anyone considering this job. Is don't take it unless you have to and continue looking to work somewhere else because you won't be appreciated
Great clients, horrible staff
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee), Austin, TXSeptember 15, 2014
Horrible communication skills. Never get out on time. Staff never stay for the most part, don't get paid for half the stuff they ask you to do.
A day consisting of keeping the patients heatlhy and living as normal as possible
DSP (Current Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 28, 2014
Pros: bring our own lunch
Cons: no breaks, no health care
Meal preparations, Baths, community outings, brief changes
Ive been in this field going on 3 yrs im learning new thigs everyday.
I think management could be a lot better than what it is such as more professional.
I love my co workers we work as a team thats a good way to get the job done.
When the patients have a bad behavior but other than that I love my job.
My most enjoyable part of the day is seeing our patients happy, and laughing!
I myself don't find the comany very productive when it comes to payroll or communication.
Personal Assistant/CNA (Current Employee), Greenville, TNAugust 20, 2014
Pros: free meals
Cons: poor communication, no one knows what's going on, and so on.
This company recently took over my former employer homes and I choose to stay with them in hopes that the company would be better but I feel that I have made a bad choice so now I am in search of a new job and hate to do this and leave the family that I have been with for nearly three years. This company has given me no choice as I have expressed my thoughts to my supervisor and still no satisfaction with nothing.
Really like working in the HR department
HR Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Alcoa, TNJune 24, 2014
My days are very busy, I like to stay busy. I like the new hire process. The most enjoyable part of my job, is that I get to meet a lot of different people with wide ranges of skills and personality. Though HR works as a whole, there is no "team building"... everyone has their own specific jobs, and they tend to be pretty complacent with their assignments. I also think that is the hardest part of my job... not being part of a team. I am very people oriented and the other staff and clients (outside of HR) are great to work with and I meet a lot of new people. I am very customer service oriented, and working in my department, I don't get to interact with people much after the hiring process is complete.
Most unorganized and unprofessional place I've ever worked!
Direct service professional (Current Employee), CookevilleJune 22, 2014
Pros: best clients ever
Cons: understaffed, underpaid, overworked
D&S Community services is the worst place to work. They never have a balanced schedule and always do things last minute.They keep you overworked and underpaid constantly and only care about the profit they make off of their clients. They warn you that the conservator for their clients is very strict and does white glove inspections. She is verbally abusive towards the staff. D&S is for profit and constantly remind their employees of that. I honestly don't think they care about their clients, they just view them as an income. I am currently in route to applying for other jobs elsewhere.
Decent place to work
District Manager / Program Supervisor (Current Employee), Jackson, TNJune 1, 2014
Helping those that cannot help themselves makes for a very rewarding day. With this position, there is really no formal training. You learn by doing. As with any job, you want always understand or agree with some of the decisions made by top management. It's a fun place to work and most of the coworkers are awesome. The most enjoyable part of the job is feeling that you have made a difference in someone's life.
pay not good
Direct Care Professional (Former Employee), Kyle, TXMay 12, 2014
company not well organized and all they cared about was the budget.
It's the heart rewards that matter most.
Case Manager (Former Employee), Austin, TXDecember 4, 2013
Pros: a caring bunch of individuals to work with
Cons: often directed by the financial bottom line
I truly enjoyed working with D&S. At times, it got a little hectic and mundane, but the clients kept me going as they were loving, kind, and fun. Of course, there was always one or two who would drive me nuts - but, they were a good lesson for me in patience.
I felt the DSP could have been paid more because most of them work EXTREMELY hard. So, it would have been nice to see them gain financially because of this. I realize that there are some people who are DSP that shouldn't be, but typically their karma bites them in the butt.
My coworkers and bosses have huge hearts for the people they are serving, which is refreshing.
Poor management/hostile work environment
Lpn (Current Employee), Nashville Tenn.November 29, 2013
Pros: i don't have anything good to say!
Cons: hires felons and untrained house managers with attitudes
House managers are untrained and very unprofessional. Treat there employee with direspect. Co worker are verbal abusive to each other and there clients.
A Hostile Work Environment
Residential Support Staff (Current Employee), Memphis, TNNovember 21, 2013
Pros: helping those in need.
Cons: seeing the selfishness of mankind in what should be the most unlikeliest place.
The clients are great even with their behavioral episodes. I have learned to be patient in extremely stressful situations. Management is awful; I wish I could give a better review but it is either you do what they say without question or they will start to cut your work days regardless of how well you work with a client and coworkers. They lust after power and control. Some are passive aggressive and some are hostile. The hardest part of my job is realizing that when they said that it is for profit, they really meant it. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with great clients.
Good company with the interests of those being served at heart
House Manager (Former Employee), Austin, TXAugust 2, 2013
Pros: appreciated by management, able to make a difference
Cons: low pay and long hours
Management sincerely cared about staff and residents, and was willing to help in whatever way they could. Pay was low, and hours were long, but the job was very fulfilling and the guys I worked with were great!
Great Job and Amazing People
Personal Assistant (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNApril 14, 2013
Pros: short hours, good pay, great clients
Cons: gas compensation, distance
I enjoyed this job and even more so my client. The only "bad" thing was the compensation for gas. Otherwise I'd love to work here again if I ever moved back to the area.
I have nothing good to say about this place. RUN while you still can!!!!!!!
LVN (Former Employee), Chattanooga TNApril 10, 2013
Pros: there are no pros, not in this review nor in the upper management. they suck.
Cons: there are too many to list. read the review and i'll enlighten you.
If you want to put your license in jeopardy THIS IS THE PLACE!!!! Not only do they treat their employees disrespectfully, but they won't even keep toilet paper in the bathroom or supplies for the clients they serve. If you need extra hours they are notorious for not getting coverage for the next shift leaving you working an unexpected double. They will leave you in a position where you are out of ratio and won't even pick up the phone when you call the on-call staff. If by some miraculous turn of events you do get someone on the phone you are down graded, disrespected or they hang up in your face disregarding the fact that you are calling because there is a need for one of the individuals they serve( I use the term serve loosely ). I know of one of the employees that had to call in sick with a medically documented issue where this person had an excuse from the MD and they were punished for being out by ensuring they did not get this person relief and they were forced to pull a double. I stayed for only 2 days and left never to looked back. My heart goes to the clients that have to deal with sort of company. I've known employees there that are excellent nurses and DSPs, but it will only be a matter of time before they leave as well. To all the clients in the homes..God bless you and know that you are in my prayers.
Horrible Management/Disorganized, and Doesn't Treat their Employees Right...Not Patient Advocates!
LPN/DSP (Former Employee), Chattanooga, TNApril 1, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
I have worked here for a short time. It is a fairly new company in Chattanooga, TN. This has got to be the worst place I have worked, by far! Management is mean to their employees, lack communication, and could care less about the clients they serve. I am looking for a new job!
Management is so unprofessional, example: talks to employees about other employees behind their backs and is very unorganized. If you call in they hold it against you and try to retaliate. This is my first review. They should shut this company down, plain and simple. Yes, it's a paycheck, but they don't care about the patients they care for and they definitely don't care about their employees. When you first get hired, they will treat you nice. After you have been their for a minute, they will make you feel inadequate.
I have actually experienced management hanging up on me for not being able to attend a meeting or because I called out sick. I am not the only one having this problem. All staff that I worked with have also have this problem. They are so unorganized and will call you multiple times a day to come in for a "meeting" that they couldn't get together in the monthly meetings they have. No, I didn't get fired. I just left. I am so much happier not working for this company! They have even had several nurses and DSP's who only stay for a week or two, realize the unprofessional environment they are working in, and leave.
They slander a persons name by gossiping. That's all I need to say. If your all about professionalism and advocating for the clients you serve, you will be very disappointed.
Did I mention they can't even get the schedule accurate. No one knows who's relieving who, because they can't keep anyone and they don't print out an accurate schedule. So, a lot of times you are stuck working doubles...and they don't care. They simply say you have to work it. Ha! Terrible company!!!
If you believe your job as a nurse is to advocate for the patient, this is not the place for you!
LPN (Former Employee), Chattanooga, TnNovember 29, 2012
Cons: no professionalism, no communication. outright lie to employees.
This company is not what it appears to be. They tell you one thing and do another. It's a wonderful concept for the developmentally and/or intellectually disabled but this company does not apply the concept. They do not train the staff properly nor do they encourage staff to ask for further training. If you do request it, they tell you they can not afford the extra help. They are definitely a for profit organization and that is their main concern, the bottom line. They put clients at risk on a routine basis as well as the staff that has not been properly trained.

April 1, 2013

I couldn't have said it better myself!

not well organized company
License Vocational Nurse (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMay 23, 2012
Typical day at work was horrible
I learned to stay focused on my own.
Management was not well organized. No chain of command
Co-workers were not a team.