D.M. Bowman, Inc. Employee Reviews

Do not work here
Driver (Current Employee) –  Williamsport, MDMay 27, 2017
I saw a previous review from another driver talking about how this company is very sneaky with putting marks on your record. I couldn't agree more. They will put as many as they can and then start threatening you with termination on an almost weekly basis. It is borderline harassment how much my job has been threatened. They love to tell all of the other drivers about anything you do wrong. They are highly unorganized and the benefits are terrible. You have to do everything right in order for you to reach your minimum pay which is the only thing that makes it worth it, otherwise your pay is next to nothing. On top of that I work for a local business that has a contract with them and they can use us for up to 14 hours and my pay doesn't change regardless of how much I work. I will say that I drove team with them for a little while and the pay was pretty good but everything else has been dreadful.
Pros
Not a whole lot
Cons
Plenty
Horrible Company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Williamsport, MDMarch 12, 2017
If you are a new driver , please stay clear of this company. Just make sure you get everything in writing as far as your pay go. Keep track of your miles and extra pay. Bowman only cares about their freight getting delivered and not the drivers. So if you looking to try and support your family from this job , do yourself a favor and don't waste your time find another Trucking Company!!!!
Pros
Home on weekends
Cons
Inaccurate pay week after week. Very unorganized
Workplace has great people to work around
CDL Class A Driver (Current Employee) –  Williamsport, MDFebruary 21, 2017
I will recommend this company to any new driver who wants to gain experience over the Road. Dispatch is okay get a lot of training on safety maintenance on trucks are excellent.
Pros
Cons
When you don't make the guarantee your pay can be all over the place
Serious lack of communication problems
CDL Class A Driver (Current Employee) –  Huntersville, NCJanuary 14, 2017
I've been driving for Bowman in Huntersville NC for a year now. Let's begin by saying that if you're expecting a trucking company or terminal with a nice drivers lounge, modern amenities and facilities well you're just living in a fairy tale. The terminal is a joke at best. Their maintenance bay is in dire need of updated equipment. We've went for about 9 months without a terminal manager, but that has just been filled. We shall see if she stays, after Williamsport bombards her with their BS. I'm constantly begging them each week to review my pay and miles cause it's not been calculated right. Oh! And if you expect a minimum of $900.00 a week, GTF out of here! It's not going to happen. That's a marketing scheme by their recruitment team. Which is a bunch of Liers. Just steer clear of Bowman, save your sanity, and self respect.
Pros
Nice driver managers
Cons
Liers, cons, pay, terminals, Anthony Triggs.
Stay away unless you have no other options!
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Williamsport, MDJanuary 9, 2017
I worked as a Diesel Mechanic in the shop at the Williamsport Maryland location performing P.M.s and such.I had to almost beg for 12.00 an hour and they expect you to do external engine work, run diagnostics, and the whole nine yards. Easily a 25.00 an hour job but instead you get 12. Frickin 12 bucks an hour! They work you very strange hours and expect alot of overtime. The shop guys were great to work with and Troy was a good guy. Hes the night shift boss but beyond that it is a nightmare. This company should be shut down. Bowman is an ignorant selfish heartless man. He shouldnt be able to sleep at night. Terrible person. Hearing of this company is worse than nails on a chalkboard! Steer clear!
Pros
Not one
Cons
Countless. Everything about the company is a con. You spell con, B.O.W.M.A.N.
Stay away
Driver (Former Employee) –  Williamsport mdDecember 15, 2016
Not only is management poor, don't expect any quality home time. This company is the worst. No matter how much you do, it will never be enough.
When you come up for review and get nothing but great feedback, there's no raise, just Bowman bucks that you can only use to buy their merchandise

AGAIN, STAY AWAY FROM HERE!!!
Pros
Cons
Too many
Productive and wonderful people
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Williamsport, MDOctober 9, 2016
My time with Bowman has been great. The boss will go to bat for his employees. Even when things are extremely slow in the warehouse he makes sure we get our weekly hours.
Not to Bad
Diesel Mechanic Apprentice Huntersville (Former Employee) –  Huntersville, NCSeptember 19, 2016
Its a good place to work if you love manual labor. I worked there and sweat my backside off everyday. Just dont expect a raise or anything. I was supposed to have one after 90 days. I never saw one and almost made it 6 months
no fun pleading for your correct pay every week
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Williamsport, MDSeptember 7, 2016
The drivers warned me when I started there to watch my pay. It started off ok but I soon found myself week-in and out pleading for the correct pay that I actually earned.
Pros
the company was local
Cons
innaccurate paychecks, low cents per mile, etc.
Okay pay for easy loads
Driver (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 21, 2016
Have new 2016 trucks, the pay is not very much but you don't work your but off, so it's like you get what you pay for kind of deal. The night and weekend dispatchers are in Maryland and are horrible to talk to certain ones. I've not had many issues while working here but you are not going to have a problem free job. Some people are careless of the equipment and bring trouble onto themselves by not doing their job then want to blame it on someone else. The night shift has a pay agreement @$800 with hazmat $700 without and runs mostly to Ohio and Kentucky. Dayshift does not have a pay agreement and goes by cents per mile and does mainly runs up in the Chicago area. The insurance is not very good I would not recommend it unless you have to take it. The trucks have inward and outward facing camera's. The terminal has a very tight area to put the trailers. Some days it's a challenge and helps to sharpen your skills.
Pros
Easy loads, 5 day work week, outward facing camera
Cons
Small terminal, out of town night and weekend dispatch, inward facing camera
productive
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDMay 2, 2016
excellent work environment. poor pay rates. good co-workers and management. light-hearted work environment. good company other then the low pay rates.
Steer clear of this company
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 17, 2016
They play dirty underhanded tricks to put preventable accidents on your record then claim they are doing you a favor because they wont fire you and then your stuck there and they know it. Their trucks are ok but cheep and their mechanics are completly over whelmed and never get around to fixing important issues which keep you safe. If you work for Indianapolis they dont have a night mechnic or night dispatch for indianapolis issues and the main corporate office could give two craps about it indy division. The yard is tiny and cramped on the weekend it will be pobably the hardest yard you'll have to back. The lack of communication in this company defies logic. I have been with this company for a year and the pay scale they have post isnt even close with hazmat you'll gross around 800 net 650ish without 700 gross 550ish net only if you work nights they have a minimum pay for nights day shift works like dogs for less money so your choice.
Pros
Absolutly nothing
Cons
Terrible insurance, terrible management, unreliable equipment
Not a employee friendly environment
Accounts Receivable Representative (Former Employee) –  Williamsport, MDMarch 29, 2016
Spent 8 hours sitting at a desk in as room with 8 other people and no windows. Was not a place that I felt comfortable speaking to others giving that everyone could hear your conversation.
Cons
Short lunch time, no breaks, constantly being watched
Good place to work just starting out in the trucking industry.
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Williamsport, MDSeptember 6, 2015
DM Bowman has been a good place to work for someone just starting out in the trucking industry. The training staff was very helpful in getting started out on the right foot. If your looking for a good starting wage and your a new truck driver this is the place to start. The employees and managers emphasize a culture that promotes safe work practices.
Pros
Starting pay and minimum pay agreements
Cons
Long hours most days, little time left for daily family activities away from work
A typical day at work
Dedicated Driver (Former Employee) –  Williamsport, MDSeptember 2, 2015
Wake up, then receive my assignment, check important paperwork before delivery, make delivery and then wait for next assignment
There is a reason this company cannot keep drivers!
Slave (Former Employee) –  Williamsport MDJuly 22, 2015
Absolute disregard for the working man from Bowman himself all the way to the bottom. They claim to be a family company. The only family they are concerned with is the Bowman family, not yours. The entire office staff from HR to dispatch is toxic in every possible way. They will work you half to death for essentially $12 an hour after its all said and done. You are an ant in this company that can and will be stomped on at any time. Let Bowman carry his own loads himself.
Pros
Cons
Too many too list
To long of hours for short pay
Driver (Current Employee) –  williamsport, mdJune 6, 2015
as a local driver going home after 4 hours of work and having to be back to work in 10 hours takes its toll, the guarantee pay is all bull, you have to constantly tell them to route you ack or you wont make any money.
Driver
Driver (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 5, 2015
Load and unload semi trailers and take to businesses that ordered our product.
Pros
Good income
Cons
Wasn't home like I was told
local beware regional okay
truck driver (Former Employee) –  Williamsport, MDJanuary 2, 2015
the manager that you must run under to be a local driver has the absolute worst attitude you can imagine. they have lost so many good drivers due to having no phone manners with the local drivers or the customers. the dispatcher that works for local leaves you messages for your runs and what times to be there. he will call you early and bug you or take your runs due to not knowing what the dispatcher says to you. he will throw you under the bus at all costs and will announce to the office the name of whoever he yells on the phone. he does not act as if your or anyone has feelings or is a person. if you want talked to like garbage then this is the place for you.

the lack or moral in the place is a joke. the mechanics will have your load in the shop when you drive in to pick up from the yard. so you drive your personal vehicle in to the shop and then get sent home or have to sit for hours and wait.

the managers that run regionals are alot better with attitude. its a shame that a company with such nice equipment has such poor managers in place. alot of things there are fire ready aim.

the pay is bad as well. well under the industry standard. they will decide based on whether they like you enough to give you your minimum pay. holiday week they will give you a bad day pay and then pro rate you minimum so you make less on holiday weeks. they calculate some of your cpm by your mpg. well if your on a heavy run with heavy backhaul theres no way to hit it. sometimes i would bobtail hundreds of miles and be way over my mpg while hard working guys that had to stop and get
  more... a backhaul did not make the minimum mpg.

bottom line is that regional may not be a bad decision to get a start. if your looking to run local you will find out immediately what im talking about.
Pros
nice equipment
Cons
bad managers, bad pay, bad moral, no comm with shop
Not the best place.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDDecember 29, 2014
The company seemed to be good at first. Runs started to dry up. A lot of down time in between runs. Could not make the money they promised.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at D.M. Bowman, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.3