D.R. Horton Employee Reviews

Great Company
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Kirkland, WAJuly 26, 2017
Great company - leader in the new home construction business. Relaxed work environment with growth opportunities. Coworkers and managers have the same goals and are very driven.
Ran more like a mom and pop shop
Accounts Payable Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 25, 2017
I Worked for DR Horton the East division. This location ran more like a mom and pop shop. There was no real growth here, unless you were a favorite and were handed a higher position.
Loved my job
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Simi Valley, CAJuly 20, 2017
Awesome culture and value to employees. There is a genuine interest in seeing employees grow and benefit from firm-wide success. Company offered very good benefits and I was proud of the homes we built. Overall a good place to work for.

Success was rewarded and kids had the opportunity to visit the ranch in TX.
Pros
Growth, and advancement opportunities, family focused.
Cons
Commute was over an hour at the time
great place to work
Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 13, 2017
need better leadership in the field, superintendents need more power to make decisions based on day to day operations with regard to sub-contractors and better vendor lists for work
Great people, hard work
Internet Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Draper, UTJuly 1, 2017
One coworker described the workplace as a "dysfunctional family" which is fairly accurate. I would say overall I enjoyed my time working there- I learned a lot and was given opportunities to advance in the company, but it took a lot of time. I feel the division is going through some growing pains and could use a better Human Resource department and some more management training.
Pros
The work is rewarding
Cons
The job culture is juvenile
Well known company, not so great working environment
Contract Administrator (Accounting Support) (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 9, 2017
Too many employees talking negatively about one another. My manager was extremely stuck on herself and did not seem to have confidence in me. She talked to me like I was a 5 year old. I think we were pretty much the same age. It was disappointing.
Pros
Well known company name
Cons
Horrible, cheap product. Bad quality.
On your feet a lot, working by yourself
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UTJune 7, 2017
Work is doing whatever cleanup is needed around the job sites. Sweeping is very typical. Outside in the weather a lot. Very flexible with schedules. Management was great.
Paid by commission
New home sales consultant and marketing (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXJune 7, 2017
Great company to work for. Very professional. Sales persons not getting paid, only by commission. You don't sale you don't get paid. Need to attend weakly meetings and needed to drive about 70miles from our office to theirs in another city and they wont pay you for gas.
Worst Builder to work for
Sr. Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 11, 2017
Chew you up and spit you out culture. Turnover rate is through the roof. Worked for them twice, once on East Coast once on West Coast and they bully their own people to the point of burn-out. Too wrapped up "in being the number one builder" and constantly over-extend their vendors' capacity. They pay as well as any other national builder, but if you are looking for some kind of pride and satisfaction from your career, stay far away from DR Horton.
Pros
pay
Cons
Everything else
Great company with a fast production environment
Senior Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMay 9, 2017
This company taught you how to work fast and smart. They are a high production company so making sure the job it done correctly, the first time, is essential.
Pros
Great experiance to learn production residential development
Cons
Compensation was slightly lower than the other companies
nice place to work
WARRANTY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 28, 2017
work starts around 8am and doesn't end until around 7pm, with assisting customers/homeowners with issues that they come across with there house while traveling long distances between houses. Things that I have learned while working at D. R. Horton is how to determine what caused the issue and what process needs to happen to repair the issue. Hardest part of the job is the long distance traveling, working the long hours and dealing with upset homeowners. Most enjoyable part of the job is the experiences that I learn, the many different people that I meet.
Pros
pick your own lunch schedule
Cons
early and late phone calls that i have to answer
If you're in sales for D.R. Horton, expect to act like a used car salesman.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 5, 2017
I worked for D.R. Horton in the Seattle Wa area in 07-09 so things may have changed a little but I doubt it. As a sales rep (their word for realtor) you are expected to pounce on customers the second the walk in the door (which is their floor model house.) They even asked us agents to follow customers out to their car to try to get them to view a home. Creepy, creepy creepy management style.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Felt like a slimy salesman working there.
If your a temp worker, do not work there
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 20, 2017
Just not a good place to work there, especially for a temp/contractor worker. They look down on temps and treat them badly. No respect for temp workers at all. A horrible office coordinator that didn't like the hard work that was done by a temp, once word got out that the temp would be hired on for a promotion, the office coordinator showed complete disgust towards temp worker, even as far as to go and have the staff turn on that person, possibly with lies or exaggerations just to make the temp worker feel miserable enough to just walk out on the job.
Pros
The work was great, a great learning experience of the company.
Cons
Horrible Office Coordinator to work with.
Great company, great benefits, great responsibility!
Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCMarch 16, 2017
Great company to work for, just not for me. Very fast-paced and high-volume. There is a lot of work that goes into each home, and it is very difficult to maintain quality and production on over thirty homes at once and keep up with all the extra paperwork and honestly complete the required checklists on every home.
Pros
Insurance and benefits
Cons
Extremely stressful
Not trustworthy
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 3, 2017
90 day temporary agency used to get staff started. Management extends probation indefinitely no matter how many goals have been achieved. Some personnel have been extended beyond a year! Management will tell you whatever to keep you on through the temp agency as long as possible.
Plenty of work and opportunity to advance
Orientation Specialist Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WAFebruary 8, 2017
Very good company to work for. Advancement options were plenty or an employee could just stay in the same job - no pressure. Lots of incentives for management and owner really cared about the quality of the product.
Pros
Steady work and lots of employee recognition
Cons
Some periods of reduced staff
Management conducts a very negative atmsosphere
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 21, 2017
Salary and benefits are good. Management is all about themselves. Very little positive reinforcement. Much better homebuilders to work for in Houston
Great Place to work for
New Home Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 12, 2017
Great Employee environment was great to work with. Management great. Company out of business was set the bar for future small business brokerage company.
Pros
Great Place to work for
Excellent family oriented company
New Home Sales (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLDecember 21, 2016
I worked as a new home construction sales person. I loved selling to both the first time home buyer and seeing their excitement as well as the seasoned home buyer who was down sizing.

I worked with each customer from beginning to the end of the move in process.

The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the excitement on the faces of my home buyers when they closed on their home.

There really wasn't anything very difficult about my job.
Pros
Touring, showing model homes to prospective home buyers.
Cons
productive and great company to work for
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CADecember 20, 2016
this is a great company to work for! So many perks. Great pay and benefits package. worked a fantastic group of people. I learned so much in such a short time. Everyone was helpful and friendly. I was able to actually see the homes during the building process in order to learn all aspects of this home builder. Loved it!
Pros
great pay, weekends off
Cons
Bakersfield Office closed