D.R. Horton Employee Reviews

Great money and great benifits but they throw away their employees if real estate slows
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Corona, CADecember 1, 2016
Arrive at 7 am meet new home owners go over all warranty information. Walk them through the house taking note of all h/o concerns and show them how everything works some days 10 homes a day then contact the sub contractors and schedual all repairs and fix minor things myself. Also aid h/o with anything that should happen within there warranty period
Pros
bonus money for completion of issues quickly great healthcare program
Cons
unstable real estate
Management turnover
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCNovember 15, 2016
National company with longevity, but management turnover in my area. Learned new programs and procedure and marketing strategies. I enjoy helping with the American dream of homeownership.
Pros
Great commission structure
Excellent Place to Work
Contracts Administrator (Former Employee) –  Temple Terrace, FLNovember 13, 2016
This is a great company with great management and a great CEO. I loved working for this company and was very unhappy when life changed for me and I had to move to another state and could no longer work for them. Everyone is very warm and friendly. The CEO understands that employees have families and lives outside of work.
Pros
Great work/life balance, Caring Management, Great Benefits
Cons
I had none
Real Estate Agent (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CANovember 4, 2016
Able to meet new people everyday and help them with their dream of purchasing a home. It's great to see the smile on their faces when they finally get the keys to their new home.
Need more money
Scheduler/Admn.Asst (Current Employee) –  Sandy Springs, GAOctober 11, 2016
There great people who work here and I enjoyed meeting each and everyone of them. I just need a job with more benefits. Also feel like I am not being used to my full capacity, I
Stressful work environment
Assistant Forward Planner/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CASeptember 6, 2016
Typical day is always stressful. We have a manager who has no experience in forward planning/project manager. Manager is an architect who micromanages and is a narcissist. Ego is through the roof and constantly puts people down. Never satisfied with the effort or work performed and makes sure people know they were close to being fired.
Recent Management is Bad
Sales Trainer (Current Employee) –  Denham Springs, LASeptember 6, 2016
The last two manger over the division have been abysmal. They each tried but ultimately I found them to be over their heads.The purchasing department was the largest issue there and for some reason the manger couldn't seem to remedy the issue. The problems in the purchasing department ultimately caused issues for construction by not having the proper materials available and for sales because we had to stop offering as many options to our buyers to make life easier on the purchasing department which discouraged buyers.
good benefits and locations worked well
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 25, 2016
there are many advantages with working with a large company. The many locations and benefits are great. the pay was competitive and the structure was within industry standards
benefits
Cons
leadership
Unjust Treatment of Sales Staff
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 23, 2016
The worst part is the incompetence of the area sales manager, maybe because she is "overworked".
Sales staff is overworked, and not looked at as individuals, but as "number producers", hours are long and tedious. Management treats you according to your "numbers". No regular pay, must request draws if no closings.
Your ideas are "frowned" upon then implemented by management, with no credit to the originator.
Time off is constantly denied to some, yet readily granted to others.
Any delay due to mortgage financing, or construction delays ultimately is deemed the responsibility of the "sales agent" for NOT SETTING THE RIGHT EXPECTATION WITH THE BUYER.
On many occasions corporate office staff is extremely rude to the sales force.
Pros
Great product at competitive prices
Cons
Sales Consultants are NOT appreciated, no room for advancement.
Toss up between working at Sonic for WORST JOB EVER
Closing Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 28, 2016
Just don't do yourself the disservice of seeking a position with the Houston South division if you are looking for an employer whose culture fosters the growth and development of its employees.

You'll be hired on to review processes and suggest possible changes that could help the division run more efficiently and reliably... Then you will be treated like a complete idiot. Every aspect of the business is run by three individuals, two of which are in positions that they are completely unqualified for (and they both know they are inadequate). This leads to an environment where the top brass not only run the company with ridiculous "discipline" via unwarranted write-ups and threats of termination on a weekly basis, but they also make decisions based on their own current states of fear (undeniably caused by the knowledge that they do not understand either their industry, their market, or basic management skills/procedures).

The notion of a "team-oriented" business plan is completely foreign to these people.
Pros
There were many before the previous Controller and VP of Ops left to work for other divisions.
Cons
Everything that takes place each and every day since the two individuals with adequate knowledge, experience and emotional intelligence to be effective left the division.
Great opportunities but high-stress culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  LocationJune 21, 2016
Pays very well and provides plenty of opportunities for advancement. Results-oriented and allows for a lot of self-direction.

Systems are outdated and company seems resistant to changing them. This can lead to a lot of frustrations when trying to gather simple financial / accounting information.
Pros
Pay. Be-your-own-boss mentality
Cons
High-stress. Outdated systems.
Strong company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJune 9, 2016
Strong ,motivated company. Moving in a new direction.
Easy to work with main office personal.Management was not very clear on the direction they wanted to go in?
Great people to work for and with!
Estimator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 20, 2016
The company needs to take a step back and see how it can take its current reactionary business model, and flip it to be more proactive. On top of that, hold your sales professionals accountable for the way they conduct their business. Stop having the back office staff clean up their mess. This in turn pulls them away from their productivity, thus putting them behind the 8 ball at the end of every month/quarter. I could go on and on, but the fact of the matter is it will never change unless it's a directive from the top. I love the people that work here and it is truly a family atmosphere. However, sales needs a swift kick in the tail and held accountable for their mindless decision making.
Pros
Family atmosphere
Cons
Get ready to become a professional cat herder.
Great Company
Senior Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 26, 2016
Wow. Where should I start? The company has great benefits: 401k match, very low health preimums with lots of converage, discounted stock purchase, wholesale prices for appliances and other home goods, great compensation and career advancement. The work environment is great. The management is very appreciative of your work and the company shows it. I was laid off during the crash, but if you can get in take my advice and stay in.
Very good home builder
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 13, 2016
D.R. Horton Homes builds a very nice home. I worked for them In Tucson, Arizona as an independent contractor and as an employee. I really enjoyed my employment with them.
New Construction at it's Finest!!
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 11, 2016
A day in new construction home sales consist of caring for a community, reaching goals, following up with potential prospects, showing and closing sales. I have really gain a lot of knowledge on customer service as well as how to maintain a community. While gaining experience with new construction I have built a great business relationship with my partner in the community where we share equal responsibilities to make sure that our home sites are beyond standard. New construction can be challenging at times due to the rise and decline in the market, but it is worth it all to see the gratitude on the faces of the buyers as they clos on their future homes.
Pros
Inventory available to sale, furnish model homes to show, excellent benefits such as health care and 401k
Cons
slow traffic, high taxes in the area for the community, not enough qualified buyers
Churn and Burn Environment
CONSTRUCTION SUPERINTENDENT (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 4, 2016
Responsible for 30+ Homes at minimum
No matter what happens your at fault.
Management No Excuses get it done.
Co workers are great
Typical perform miracles with nothing
Construction Superintendent, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COMarch 31, 2016
Unreasonable expectations with contractors and schedules provided.
Very high house to superintendent ratio.
Complicated time consuming computer work required. Could be using this time checking on the work in progress.
Pros
Alot of work for the future
Cons
Unrealistic Management demands
Productive Workplace
Appraisal/Multi Family Condo Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 16, 2016
Engaging environment that has helped me grow professionally. Culture of company is great and co workers are amazing. Everyone I worked with was willing to help and very friendly. The company culture is wonderful, the employees generally seem happy to be working there! I think the energy of the environment drove everyone to do their best, at least for me it did! I learned how to work and prioritze multiple tasks at a time. I also was able to improve my research and presentation skills.
Pros
hard to move up
Upper management always available
Senior Land Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 3, 2016
Big business yet still the small busness charm, management door was always open. I was selected to hunt on DR's ranch in Texas. It was an awsome perk.
Pros
Advanvement opportunities
Cons
NA

Ask a question about working or interviewing at D.R. Horton. Our community is ready to answer.