D.R. Horton

D.R. Horton Employer Reviews

Horrible Company
Mortgage Loan Processor (Former Employee), MinnesotaMarch 3, 2014
Pros: awesome coworkers
Cons: no work life balance, bad management
This was a horrible company to work for. No work life balance. They don't care about you at all. All they care about is the money they are making. They fire people or people quit and they don't hire any new people. They just expect you to take on more work and keep up all the same expectations. The managers say they are there to help you but when you – more... really need help you are told to ask a lead because the manager has a meeting. However we were only able to go to certain leads at certain times of the day. Once you get on a mangers bad side you might as well just immediately start looking for a new job because they will look for any reason to write you up. DON'T work for this company! Keep looking for something better! – less
High Volume residential construction
Superintendent (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: great bonus capability when busy
Cons: new housing up and downs working for such as large company you dont feel any bond to company, speed makes you feel like each house is a number no sense of completion, very repetative.
Supervise construction of up to 50-75 homes at a time all at various stages of completion.
Walking homes meeting with subcontractors to answer any questions they may have to make sure they build home exactly as shown on blueprints for each home.
Scheduling inspections and walking with inspectors to make sure all specs show on blueprints are folllowed.
Keep – more... each home on schedule to keep subs happy as well as company.
Collect all paperwork at completion and turn in to county to recieve C.O. – less
Opportunity to wear a lot of hats and expand my Marketing knowledge of the Homebuilding industry
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee), Conroe, TXJanuary 27, 2014
• Layout, designed, wrote and coordinated advertising for/with various media channels.
• Created community marketing materials and strategized, planned and prepared for model openings, then maintained advertisement campaigns thereafter
• Communicated with various departments to improve products and company image
• Designed and created flyers, direct – more... mail pieces, billboards and other marketing collateral in coordination with managers and professionals
• Designed and implemented divisional campaigns
• Coordinated compilation and completion of brochures, signage and sales/office displays
• Maintained online home inventory
• Created marketing materials for all active and upcoming communities such as ad campaigns, website designs, e-blast campaigns, logos, direct mail campaigns, etc.
• Created and edited community maps, home renderings and floor plans
• Updated property listings, plans and price sheets
• Worked with vendors to fulfill various Marketing collateral and necessities – less
Never Hated a Job So Much
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee), Austin, TxJanuary 8, 2014
Pros: i can't think of a single one
Cons: no flexible schedule, poor management, long hours, stressful, unfriendly environment
I worked as a Marketing Coordinator in DHI's marketing department with the understanding that this was mostly a creative position (I'm a graphic designer by trade). Since this seemed like more of a copywriting/coordinating position than a creative one, I probably wasn't the best candidate, and was miserable the entire time I was there. Upon being hired, – more... they knew I had no experience with designing for this industry, so to be fair, they gave me a little time to learn the jargon and the MULTITUDE of rules for creating marketing materials for a mortgage firm by giving me fewer, easier jobs to begin with.

But as soon as they felt I had enough time to learn the ropes (a few weeks to learn everything there is to know about mortgage lending), they unleashed the fury and I was completely overwhelmed with new projects coming at me constantly throughout the day with short deadlines. Stress levels were through the roof!

The legal requirements for marketing materials vary from state to state dramatically, and EVERY tiny little punctuation mark counted. So being the newbie who didn't know all the ins and outs yet meant that I made some mistakes (and received scathing emails from my manager every time a proof was sent back to me), and had to go through several rounds of proofreading and depending on co-workers to get proofs back to me in a timely manner so I could remain within my tight deadline.

I truly did my best to eagerly learn all this new information; I took on more responsibilities and worked extra hours (unpaid) in order to be a team player and to make up for my mistakes, but all I ever got in return were gripe sessions in my manager's office. I felt as if I was walking on eggshells not to set him/her off. Another co-worker and I were reprimanded for "not looking like we were working hard enough" while I was being trained in the private marketing room for some new duties that I was taking on. I guess we should have been scowling the entire time? I'm not really sure.

Lastly, I just didn't feel welcome here at all. Most people just seemed miserable as if they hated their jobs. Apparently, there was some kind of drama right before I was hired that no one liked to talk about, that resulted in a few staff members quitting unexpectedly, leaving the department in the lurch. That should have been a red flag for me.

The bottom line is, if you're a creative, don't try for this position. It should just be filled by a left-brainer that knows how to use the creative software, and they'll probably get along just fine. Just keep your head down, nose to the grindstone, and don't expect it to be a friendly environment. – less
Accounting
Front desk account payables clerk (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 1, 2014
Pros: no 401k at that time.
Great place to work, love the management. love the opportunities and the growth.
Very structured approach to all phases of operation
New Home Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Tampa, FLDecember 20, 2013
Pros: builds inventory
Cons: it is necessary to salespeople around alot.
Great company to work for. They did not get to be the number one builder in america by not having good systems in place.
Assistant Superintendent
Assistant Superintendent (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVDecember 3, 2013
Pros: learned so much information
Cons: the weather
Write the schedule, manage 20-150 people, read blue prints, customer service, final walk thru's
High stress no support from management
Construction Manager (Former Employee), marylandNovember 19, 2013
responsible for several communities,construction of up to 30 +homes at any given time,plus customer service for all sites.
Very exciting company to work for.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Simi Valley, CAOctober 31, 2013
Very exciting company to work for. Very competitive pay. If the housing market didn't crash, I would be still here.
Excellent product.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Desert Hot Springs, CASeptember 27, 2013
Pros: great home product.
Cons: refused to supply offices with supplies. made us uses our own cell phone for business calls.
Sold new homes. Learned about city regulations. Reviewed other home builders products.
Good company focused on building great communities
Land Development Project Manager (Former Employee), Austin, TXSeptember 23, 2013
Great people and good challenges to help you grow/develop in home building/development.
Everyday was a new experience
Director of Sales and Marketing (Former Employee), New York & PhiladelphiaAugust 30, 2013
Pros: working relationships with co-workers
Cons: much time is expected, so time management is necessary.
D.R, Horrton is a fantastic organization. From top-to-bottom, people care about helping the customer. Each day was a new learning experience, and the freedom given to be entrprenurial was motivating.
Lots of learning experience
Contract Administrator-Purchasing Department (Former Employee), Woodland HillsAugust 20, 2013
Pros: questions concerning the job always answered
Cons: massive amounts of work
As a contract adminisitrator I was always striving for knowledge. On the job experience was great and necessary for me to continue with my growth with the company. As in Western Pacific Housing I was an accounting assistant and felt I was learning different ways to pay bills through the JDEdwards system we used.
A great place to work
Director of First Impressions (Former Employee), Deerfield Beach, FLAugust 9, 2013
Pros: a great company to work for
Cons: there are none
I loved my duties at D.R. Horton as Director of First Impressions. My experience and skill set was amazingly and positively challenged.
Great company, great benefits, great organization and teamwork
Accounting Manager (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVMay 19, 2013
Pros: teamwork, organizational structure, employee recognition and appreciation, great benefits, great opportunity
Cons: work/life balance at times was not recognized by division president
D.R. Horton is a great company in which to work. The experience I gained in working for this company was invaluable. The structure and management of this company was top notch. The appreciation by the company of its employees and the recognition of their work is stellar. While working for this company I was given the opportunity to transition from an – more... accounting clerk position to an accounting management position. I was also given the opportunity for training in many areas in order to improve my management skills. The management team I had the privilege to work with gave a new meaning to teamwork. I learned so much while working at this company and had many opportunities for advancement and was allowed the freedom as a manager to improve and expand the structure of my department. Working for D. R. Horton was one of the best experiences I have had in my working career. – less

Releigh – July 6, 2013

This company is high pressure sales without caring about the buyers... they lie to the buyers,, force them to use their lender, don't give them what they promise and are trained to do it.. I couldn't continue to work for a company that was ripping homeowners off.

Best New Home Builder
Director of Real Estate Development (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 14, 2013
Quality home with excellent customer service. they also build a very quality home.
A good place to work
Operations Accounting Assistant (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXMay 6, 2013
I enjoyed working for D.R. Horton. They place a large emphasis on employee well being.
Not to bad
Superintendent (Former Employee), Fairhope, ALApril 15, 2013
Pros: money
Cons: sub contractor base
they did not have to the sub base for the amount of homes they wanted completed at any given time
Not a great place to work
Field superintendent (Former Employee), Palm beach FloridaMarch 30, 2013
Cons: salary pay too many hours
Was a Field superintendent they don't explain every thing about the job in the interview. Over load you with work and no support. Beware of the construction mgr. salary pay at 60 hrs a week.
No extra comments
Construction Superintendent (Former Employee), Killeen, TXMarch 21, 2013
Good company to work for. Cannot list any other comments. Typical superintendent position. Review work of sub-contractors and working with the City of Killeen

About D.R. Horton

When this Horton heard a Who, it built the little guy a house. D.R. Horton builds single-family homes for the entry-level and – Read more