D.R. Horton Employee Reviews

Management conducts a very negative atmsosphere
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 21, 2017
Salary and benefits are good. Management is all about themselves. Very little positive reinforcement. Much better homebuilders to work for in Houston
Great Place to work for
New Home Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 12, 2017
Great Employee environment was great to work with. Management great. Company out of business was set the bar for future small business brokerage company.
Pros
Great Place to work for
Excellent family oriented company
New Home Sales (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLDecember 21, 2016
I worked as a new home construction sales person. I loved selling to both the first time home buyer and seeing their excitement as well as the seasoned home buyer who was down sizing.

I worked with each customer from beginning to the end of the move in process.

The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the excitement on the faces of my home buyers when they closed on their home.

There really wasn't anything very difficult about my job.
Pros
Touring, showing model homes to prospective home buyers.
Cons
productive and great company to work for
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CADecember 20, 2016
this is a great company to work for! So many perks. Great pay and benefits package. worked a fantastic group of people. I learned so much in such a short time. Everyone was helpful and friendly. I was able to actually see the homes during the building process in order to learn all aspects of this home builder. Loved it!
Pros
great pay, weekends off
Cons
Bakersfield Office closed
Good Old Boy Atmosphere
Warranty Case Manager - Greenville Market (Former Employee) –  Conyers, GADecember 12, 2016
I worked for a company that DRH bought out and the old ways were preserved. I was an newbie, an outsider and was eventually railroaded after a witch hunt. The compnay culture was awful and no changes were made to make it any better after the buyout.
Pros
Cons
you name it
Great money and great benifits but they throw away their employees if real estate slows
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Corona, CADecember 1, 2016
Arrive at 7 am meet new home owners go over all warranty information. Walk them through the house taking note of all h/o concerns and show them how everything works some days 10 homes a day then contact the sub contractors and schedual all repairs and fix minor things myself. Also aid h/o with anything that should happen within there warranty period
Pros
bonus money for completion of issues quickly great healthcare program
Cons
unstable real estate
Management turnover
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCNovember 15, 2016
National company with longevity, but management turnover in my area. Learned new programs and procedure and marketing strategies. I enjoy helping with the American dream of homeownership.
Pros
Great commission structure
Excellent Place to Work
Contracts Administrator (Former Employee) –  Temple Terrace, FLNovember 13, 2016
This is a great company with great management and a great CEO. I loved working for this company and was very unhappy when life changed for me and I had to move to another state and could no longer work for them. Everyone is very warm and friendly. The CEO understands that employees have families and lives outside of work.
Pros
Great work/life balance, Caring Management, Great Benefits
Cons
I had none
Real Estate Agent (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CANovember 4, 2016
Able to meet new people everyday and help them with their dream of purchasing a home. It's great to see the smile on their faces when they finally get the keys to their new home.
Need more money
Scheduler/Admn.Asst (Current Employee) –  Sandy Springs, GAOctober 11, 2016
There great people who work here and I enjoyed meeting each and everyone of them. I just need a job with more benefits. Also feel like I am not being used to my full capacity, I

Want to know more about D.R. Horton?

Ask a question
Stressful work environment
Assistant Forward Planner/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CASeptember 6, 2016
Typical day is always stressful. We have a manager who has no experience in forward planning/project manager. Manager is an architect who micromanages and is a narcissist. Ego is through the roof and constantly puts people down. Never satisfied with the effort or work performed and makes sure people know they were close to being fired.
Recent Management is Bad
Sales Trainer (Current Employee) –  Denham Springs, LASeptember 6, 2016
The last two manger over the division have been abysmal. They each tried but ultimately I found them to be over their heads.The purchasing department was the largest issue there and for some reason the manger couldn't seem to remedy the issue. The problems in the purchasing department ultimately caused issues for construction by not having the proper materials available and for sales because we had to stop offering as many options to our buyers to make life easier on the purchasing department which discouraged buyers.
good benefits and locations worked well
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 25, 2016
there are many advantages with working with a large company. The many locations and benefits are great. the pay was competitive and the structure was within industry standards
benefits
Cons
leadership
Unjust Treatment of Sales Staff
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 23, 2016
The worst part is the incompetence of the area sales manager, maybe because she is "overworked".
Sales staff is overworked, and not looked at as individuals, but as "number producers", hours are long and tedious. Management treats you according to your "numbers". No regular pay, must request draws if no closings.
Your ideas are "frowned" upon then implemented by management, with no credit to the originator.
Time off is constantly denied to some, yet readily granted to others.
Any delay due to mortgage financing, or construction delays ultimately is deemed the responsibility of the "sales agent" for NOT SETTING THE RIGHT EXPECTATION WITH THE BUYER.
On many occasions corporate office staff is extremely rude to the sales force.
Pros
Great product at competitive prices
Cons
Sales Consultants are NOT appreciated, no room for advancement.
Toss up between working at Sonic for WORST JOB EVER
Closing Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 28, 2016
Just don't do yourself the disservice of seeking a position with the Houston South division if you are looking for an employer whose culture fosters the growth and development of its employees.

You'll be hired on to review processes and suggest possible changes that could help the division run more efficiently and reliably... Then you will be treated like a complete idiot. Every aspect of the business is run by three individuals, two of which are in positions that they are completely unqualified for (and they both know they are inadequate). This leads to an environment where the top brass not only run the company with ridiculous "discipline" via unwarranted write-ups and threats of termination on a weekly basis, but they also make decisions based on their own current states of fear (undeniably caused by the knowledge that they do not understand either their industry, their market, or basic management skills/procedures).

The notion of a "team-oriented" business plan is completely foreign to these people.
Pros
There were many before the previous Controller and VP of Ops left to work for other divisions.
Cons
Everything that takes place each and every day since the two individuals with adequate knowledge, experience and emotional intelligence to be effective left the division.
Great opportunities but high-stress culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  LocationJune 21, 2016
Pays very well and provides plenty of opportunities for advancement. Results-oriented and allows for a lot of self-direction.

Systems are outdated and company seems resistant to changing them. This can lead to a lot of frustrations when trying to gather simple financial / accounting information.
Pros
Pay. Be-your-own-boss mentality
Cons
High-stress. Outdated systems.
Strong company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJune 9, 2016
Strong ,motivated company. Moving in a new direction.
Easy to work with main office personal.Management was not very clear on the direction they wanted to go in?
Great people to work for and with!
Estimator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 20, 2016
The company needs to take a step back and see how it can take its current reactionary business model, and flip it to be more proactive. On top of that, hold your sales professionals accountable for the way they conduct their business. Stop having the back office staff clean up their mess. This in turn pulls them away from their productivity, thus putting them behind the 8 ball at the end of every month/quarter. I could go on and on, but the fact of the matter is it will never change unless it's a directive from the top. I love the people that work here and it is truly a family atmosphere. However, sales needs a swift kick in the tail and held accountable for their mindless decision making.
Pros
Family atmosphere
Cons
Get ready to become a professional cat herder.
Great Company
Senior Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 26, 2016
Wow. Where should I start? The company has great benefits: 401k match, very low health preimums with lots of converage, discounted stock purchase, wholesale prices for appliances and other home goods, great compensation and career advancement. The work environment is great. The management is very appreciative of your work and the company shows it. I was laid off during the crash, but if you can get in take my advice and stay in.
Very good home builder
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 13, 2016
D.R. Horton Homes builds a very nice home. I worked for them In Tucson, Arizona as an independent contractor and as an employee. I really enjoyed my employment with them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at D.R. Horton. Our community is ready to answer.