D.R. Horton Employee Reviews in United States

good benefits and locations worked well
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 25, 2016
there are many advantages with working with a large company. The many locations and benefits are great. the pay was competitive and the structure was within industry standards
benefits
Cons
leadership
Toss up between working at Sonic for WORST JOB EVER
Closing Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 28, 2016
Just don't do yourself the disservice of seeking a position with the Houston South division if you are looking for an employer whose culture fosters the growth and development of its employees.

You'll be hired on to review processes and suggest possible changes that could help the division run more efficiently and reliably... Then you will be treated like a complete idiot. Every aspect of the business is run by three individuals, two of which are in positions that they are completely unqualified for (and they both know they are inadequate). This leads to an environment where the top brass not only run the company with ridiculous "discipline" via unwarranted write-ups and threats of termination on a weekly basis, but they also make decisions based on their own current states of fear (undeniably caused by the knowledge that they do not understand either their industry, their market, or basic management skills/procedures).

The notion of a "team-oriented" business plan is completely foreign to these people.
Pros
There were many before the previous Controller and VP of Ops left to work for other divisions.
Cons
Everything that takes place each and every day since the two individuals with adequate knowledge, experience and emotional intelligence to be effective left the division.
Great opportunities but high-stress culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  LocationJune 21, 2016
Pays very well and provides plenty of opportunities for advancement. Results-oriented and allows for a lot of self-direction.

Systems are outdated and company seems resistant to changing them. This can lead to a lot of frustrations when trying to gather simple financial / accounting information.
Pros
Pay. Be-your-own-boss mentality
Cons
High-stress. Outdated systems.
Strong company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJune 9, 2016
Strong ,motivated company. Moving in a new direction.
Easy to work with main office personal.Management was not very clear on the direction they wanted to go in?
Great people to work for and with!
Estimator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 20, 2016
The company needs to take a step back and see how it can take its current reactionary business model, and flip it to be more proactive. On top of that, hold your sales professionals accountable for the way they conduct their business. Stop having the back office staff clean up their mess. This in turn pulls them away from their productivity, thus putting them behind the 8 ball at the end of every month/quarter. I could go on and on, but the fact of the matter is it will never change unless it's a directive from the top. I love the people that work here and it is truly a family atmosphere. However, sales needs a swift kick in the tail and held accountable for their mindless decision making.
Pros
Family atmosphere
Cons
Get ready to become a professional cat herder.
Great Company
Senior Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 26, 2016
Wow. Where should I start? The company has great benefits: 401k match, very low health preimums with lots of converage, discounted stock purchase, wholesale prices for appliances and other home goods, great compensation and career advancement. The work environment is great. The management is very appreciative of your work and the company shows it. I was laid off during the crash, but if you can get in take my advice and stay in.
Very good home builder
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 13, 2016
D.R. Horton Homes builds a very nice home. I worked for them In Tucson, Arizona as an independent contractor and as an employee. I really enjoyed my employment with them.
New Construction at it's Finest!!
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 11, 2016
A day in new construction home sales consist of caring for a community, reaching goals, following up with potential prospects, showing and closing sales. I have really gain a lot of knowledge on customer service as well as how to maintain a community. While gaining experience with new construction I have built a great business relationship with my partner in the community where we share equal responsibilities to make sure that our home sites are beyond standard. New construction can be challenging at times due to the rise and decline in the market, but it is worth it all to see the gratitude on the faces of the buyers as they clos on their future homes.
Pros
Inventory available to sale, furnish model homes to show, excellent benefits such as health care and 401k
Cons
slow traffic, high taxes in the area for the community, not enough qualified buyers
Churn and Burn Environment
CONSTRUCTION SUPERINTENDENT (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 4, 2016
Responsible for 30+ Homes at minimum
No matter what happens your at fault.
Management No Excuses get it done.
Co workers are great
Typical perform miracles with nothing
Construction Superintendent, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COMarch 31, 2016
Unreasonable expectations with contractors and schedules provided.
Very high house to superintendent ratio.
Complicated time consuming computer work required. Could be using this time checking on the work in progress.
Pros
Alot of work for the future
Cons
Unrealistic Management demands

Want to know more about D.R. Horton?

Ask a question
Productive Workplace
Appraisal/Multi Family Condo Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 16, 2016
Engaging environment that has helped me grow professionally. Culture of company is great and co workers are amazing. Everyone I worked with was willing to help and very friendly. The company culture is wonderful, the employees generally seem happy to be working there! I think the energy of the environment drove everyone to do their best, at least for me it did! I learned how to work and prioritze multiple tasks at a time. I also was able to improve my research and presentation skills.
Pros
hard to move up
Upper management always available
Senior Land Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 3, 2016
Big business yet still the small busness charm, management door was always open. I was selected to hunt on DR's ranch in Texas. It was an awsome perk.
Pros
Advanvement opportunities
Cons
NA
Very micro-managed
Project Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COFebruary 27, 2016
I have more than enough experience to run a good residential housing tract. Unfortunately the processes they have put in place to achieve a well built home takes up so much time and effort I am more concerned about the processes than the home.
N/a
New Homes On-site Sales Counselor (Current Employee) –  Deerfield Beach, FL 33441February 16, 2016
Since I am currently employed, I reserve my right to my opinion. At this time, my earning potential is limited due to overpriced product.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Decent work environment
Land Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 4, 2016
I enjoyed working for DR Horton, I found my job enjoyable as well as stressful at times. I was downsized due to budget cuts in our division
DR Horton
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 2, 2016
Ok Job, good commission structure. Work life balance not the greatest, time off is not encouraged. Management not concerned with growing the employees.
Each day had to work with venders to correct issues in new homes
Director of Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 21, 2015
Work with home owners to fix issues with in the new home for the first year of buying the new DR Horton home. Calling back venders to correct issues and seeing the jobs were done correctly.
work workk and more work
New home Sales (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 30, 2015
you work 7 days a week, every weekend and every holiday. 12 hour days. they don't care if you are doing a sale at midnight and have to dive for a hour to get home. get the sale and get the check. your safety means nothing to them. the turn over in this company is huge. some how they manage to build a good house that's good quality.
Pros
pay can be good
Cons
your a walking zombie, exhausted
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Naples, FLOctober 20, 2015
Managed 13 superintendents and 18 job sites as Area Manager when Emerald division opened they moved me into a Superintendent position to build custom homes from $800k t0 $1.9 million ,enjoyed the job very much.
High production requirement
Real Estate Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Simi ValleyOctober 18, 2015
Procure new home buyers
Up sell home options/add ons
Contracts and pre-qualification screening for in-house lender
Follow construction from groundbreaking to close of escrow
Pros
Enjoyable and willing teamwork
Cons
no real breaks, high presssure to sell and up-sll