D.R. Horton

D.R. Horton Employer Reviews

Residential Home Tract
Project Manager (Former Employee), Corona, CAOctober 9, 2014
Enjoyed working for this company and miss working there. I was hired as a Assistant PM and was promoted to PM. There was a bit of turn-around in the higher management dept. but all and all it was a great company to work for along with the co-workers.
Laid back, great place to work
Accounting Clerk/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Austin, TXSeptember 22, 2014
I would recommend this job to anyone. Friendly staff and great managers.
Hitting the work force with a bang!
New Home Consultant (Current Employee), Orlando, FLAugust 19, 2014
Pros: challenging, learn all the market trends, learn all the mortgage products
Cons: not much room for job advancement
This is a challenging position in which my responsibilities extend beyond sales. I'm responsible for writing contracts, choosing the right lender/loan product for the buyer, ensuring the buyer turns in all relevant mortgage documents on schedule, running construction meetings, ensuring the project is always in its best professional appearance and coordinating – more... closings with the title company. – less
Awesome place to work
Area Manager (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 14, 2014
I loved every minute I had the opportunity to work for Horton. I would have stayed with this company forever if the economy hadn't crashed.
A JOB I SUCCEDED IN BECAUSE OF THE EVERY DAY CHALLANGES
Builder (Former Employee), ATLANTA, GA.July 27, 2014
ARRIVE AT 6:00 AM. AN HOUR AN A HALF BEFORE REQUIRED AND WALK HOUSES. ADJUST SCHEDULE ON HOUSES, CONTACT SUBCONTRACTORS WITH SCHEDULE AND ISSUES. MEET WITH SALES ASSOCIATES ABOUT ANY CONCERNS, UPCOMING CLOSINGS, SCHEDULE WALK THRUS, ADDRESS HOMEOWNER ISSUES. I LEARNED THAT I WANTED TO BE THE BEST. WHATEVER IT TOOK. I NEVER WANYED ANY OTHER BUILDER TO – more... COME IN MY SUBDIVISION AND SAY HE DID THIS WRONG OR LOOK AT THAT. I THRIVED ON MAKING THINGS HAPPEN AND GETTING THE JOB DONE WHEN OTHERS SAID IT COULD NOT BE DONE. I SUCCEDED BECAUSE I KNEW THAT I WAS ONLY AS GOOD AS THOSE WHO WORKED FOR ME. THEY MUST BE TREATED AS I WOULD WANT TO BE TREATED. COMMUNICATE THE JOB THAT IS EXPECTED OF THEM AND WHAT I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR TO MAKE THAT POSSIBLE, RESPECT AND CONSIDER ANY CONCERNS THEY MAY HAVE, APPRECIATE AND ACKNOWLEDGE THEIR SKILL AND PRIDE IN THEIR TRADE, AND EXEMPLIFY THESE THINGS BY SETTING AN EXAMPLE. HARDEST PART WAS NOT BEINGING ABLE TO GARUANTEE COMPENSATION FOR SUBCONTRACTORS THAT DID EXTRA WORK FOR ME WHEN I NEEDED IT. I LOVED THE PRESSURE, THE MORE PRESSURE THE BETTER I DID. THE CHALLANGE OF TRYING TO ANTICIPATE WHAT COULD GO WRONG AND PREVENT IT FROM HAPPENING ; KNOWING SOMETHING WILL NOT BE ANTICIPATED AND BEING ABLE TO OVERCOME THE ISSUE BECAUSE YOU HAVE THE SUPPORT AND LOYALTY OF THOSE WHO WORK FOR YOU. – less
Amazing company with a vision
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee), Gold River, CAJuly 22, 2014
Pros: salary, support from management, healthcare
Cons: volitility of the industry
Performed the new homeowner orientations and the follow-up warranty claims; scheduling appointments between the homeowner and vendor/ sub-contractor. I learned all about the aspects of a home (i.e. framing, foundation, LEED certification, utilities, plumbing, landscaping, painting, cabinetry, appliances, counter tops, HVAC, etc.). The management team – more... was stellar! They were always supportive and provided guidance when needed. The most enjoyable part of my job was the ability to be a part of "The American Dream" for my customer, owning a home. It was my pleasure to help a homeowner learn about their new place and be excited with them. – less
Productive workplace
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXMay 29, 2014
Very busy days, all departments have to offer help to one another. Systems are easy to learn.
Customer service rep.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Concord, CAMay 20, 2014
Worked on a multi-family units, did buyer oreintations and was buffer between owner and contractors
A demanding and profit driven company
Assistant Superintendent (Former Employee), San Diego, Ca.May 16, 2014
Pros: freedom, providing jobs to deserving people
Cons: bad hours and unrealistic demands
Typical day: wake up at 4am, open the job site by 5am, hire crews, walk site and supervise construction, eat on the go, host city and county inspections, walk throughs with homeowners, debrief with boss, meet up with security, secure and close construction site for the night, go to office for paperwork.

I learned how to supervise large groups of people – more... at one time.

Management was aggressive, demanding, and not at all pleasant.

My co-workers were hard working people doing their very best for their families. They deserved more respect from management.

The hardest part of the job was the grueling pace and the ever shortening deadlines despite meeting and exceeding previous schedules. The best part was seeing the look on a homeowners face when they walked through the door of their new home. – less
Highly adaptive work Environment
Acquisition Coordinator (Former Employee), Irvine, CAMay 6, 2014
Highly skilled professionals well trained in the art of aquiring and making the best use of fresh ideas
Outstanding opportunity
Realtor (Former Employee), Bluffton, SCApril 27, 2014
Pros: unbelievable income potential
Great opportunity to be involved in the growth of the Bluffton area during the building boom. Income which was unsurpassed and a great and easy work environment. Constant interaction with clients and real estate counter parts made this job perfect!!!
Fun
Laborer (Former Employee), Boise, IDApril 23, 2014
Love this company. Great company. Would love to work for them again in a different area.
Managed residential construction
Superintendent/Project Manager (Former Employee), Orlando, FloridaApril 21, 2014
I am grateful to this company for giving me a start in being able to prove my capability to work for and build for a national construction company. However, I found them to be cut throat in about every other way.
Horrible Company
Mortgage Loan Processor (Former Employee), MinnesotaMarch 3, 2014
Pros: awesome coworkers
Cons: no work life balance, bad management
This was a horrible company to work for. No work life balance. They don't care about you at all. All they care about is the money they are making. They fire people or people quit and they don't hire any new people. They just expect you to take on more work and keep up all the same expectations. The managers say they are there to help you but when you – more... really need help you are told to ask a lead because the manager has a meeting. However we were only able to go to certain leads at certain times of the day. Once you get on a mangers bad side you might as well just immediately start looking for a new job because they will look for any reason to write you up. DON'T work for this company! Keep looking for something better! – less
High Volume residential construction
Superintendent (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: great bonus capability when busy
Cons: new housing up and downs working for such as large company you dont feel any bond to company, speed makes you feel like each house is a number no sense of completion, very repetative.
Supervise construction of up to 50-75 homes at a time all at various stages of completion.
Walking homes meeting with subcontractors to answer any questions they may have to make sure they build home exactly as shown on blueprints for each home.
Scheduling inspections and walking with inspectors to make sure all specs show on blueprints are folllowed.
Keep – more... each home on schedule to keep subs happy as well as company.
Collect all paperwork at completion and turn in to county to recieve C.O. – less
Opportunity to wear a lot of hats and expand my Marketing knowledge of the Homebuilding industry
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee), Conroe, TXJanuary 27, 2014
• Layout, designed, wrote and coordinated advertising for/with various media channels.
• Created community marketing materials and strategized, planned and prepared for model openings, then maintained advertisement campaigns thereafter
• Communicated with various departments to improve products and company image
• Designed and created flyers, direct – more... mail pieces, billboards and other marketing collateral in coordination with managers and professionals
• Designed and implemented divisional campaigns
• Coordinated compilation and completion of brochures, signage and sales/office displays
• Maintained online home inventory
• Created marketing materials for all active and upcoming communities such as ad campaigns, website designs, e-blast campaigns, logos, direct mail campaigns, etc.
• Created and edited community maps, home renderings and floor plans
• Updated property listings, plans and price sheets
• Worked with vendors to fulfill various Marketing collateral and necessities – less
Never Hated a Job So Much
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee), Austin, TxJanuary 8, 2014
Pros: i can't think of a single one
Cons: no flexible schedule, poor management, long hours, stressful, unfriendly environment
I worked as a Marketing Coordinator in DHI's marketing department with the understanding that this was mostly a creative position (I'm a graphic designer by trade). Since this seemed like more of a copywriting/coordinating position than a creative one, I probably wasn't the best candidate, and was miserable the entire time I was there. Upon being hired, – more... they knew I had no experience with designing for this industry, so to be fair, they gave me a little time to learn the jargon and the MULTITUDE of rules for creating marketing materials for a mortgage firm by giving me fewer, easier jobs to begin with.

But as soon as they felt I had enough time to learn the ropes (a few weeks to learn everything there is to know about mortgage lending), they unleashed the fury and I was completely overwhelmed with new projects coming at me constantly throughout the day with short deadlines. Stress levels were through the roof!

The legal requirements for marketing materials vary from state to state dramatically, and EVERY tiny little punctuation mark counted. So being the newbie who didn't know all the ins and outs yet meant that I made some mistakes (and received scathing emails from my manager every time a proof was sent back to me), and had to go through several rounds of proofreading and depending on co-workers to get proofs back to me in a timely manner so I could remain within my tight deadline.

I truly did my best to eagerly learn all this new information; I took on more responsibilities and worked extra hours (unpaid) in order to be a team player and to make up for my mistakes, but all I ever got in return were gripe sessions in my manager's office. I felt as if I was walking on eggshells not to set him/her off. Another co-worker and I were reprimanded for "not looking like we were working hard enough" while I was being trained in the private marketing room for some new duties that I was taking on. I guess we should have been scowling the entire time? I'm not really sure.

Lastly, I just didn't feel welcome here at all. Most people just seemed miserable as if they hated their jobs. Apparently, there was some kind of drama right before I was hired that no one liked to talk about, that resulted in a few staff members quitting unexpectedly, leaving the department in the lurch. That should have been a red flag for me.

The bottom line is, if you're a creative, don't try for this position. It should just be filled by a left-brainer that knows how to use the creative software, and they'll probably get along just fine. Just keep your head down, nose to the grindstone, and don't expect it to be a friendly environment. – less
Accounting
Front desk account payables clerk (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 1, 2014
Pros: no 401k at that time.
Great place to work, love the management. love the opportunities and the growth.
Very structured approach to all phases of operation
New Home Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Tampa, FLDecember 20, 2013
Pros: builds inventory
Cons: it is necessary to salespeople around alot.
Great company to work for. They did not get to be the number one builder in america by not having good systems in place.
Assistant Superintendent
Assistant Superintendent (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVDecember 3, 2013
Pros: learned so much information
Cons: the weather
Write the schedule, manage 20-150 people, read blue prints, customer service, final walk thru's

1 2 3

About D.R. Horton

When this Horton heard a Who, it built the little guy a house. D.R. Horton builds single-family homes for the entry-level and – Read more