The Des Moines Art Center is known for its world-class collection of artwork and magnificent architecture. In addition, the Art Center presents thought-provoking exhibitions, educational programs and hands-on studio art classes.
The Museum Education Assistant is responsible for managing the Art Center's tour program and supporting the volunteer docent program. The position provides administrative, clerical, and programming support for the Director of Education. The Museum Education Assistant focuses on promoting a friendly and courteous atmosphere for teachers, students, tour participants, and docents.
- Manages tour scheduling and tour database. Duties include: processing tour reservations requests from public, communicating with tour coordinators, teachers and bus drivers, assigning docents to tours, creating a weekly tour schedule, communicating schedule with docents and staff, processing fee-based adult tours, sending tour evaluations to participants, and generating monthly attendance report and annual statistical report
- Supports the docent program. Set’s up weekly meetings, makes copies as requested, runs AV, participates in class to build relationships with docent personnel, and organizes annual appreciation events
- Provides administrative support to the Director of Education such as taking event reservations, drafting/typing letters of agreement for guest speakers/artists, making travel and hotel arrangements for guests, processing purchase orders, updates Museum Education portion of the Art Center website
- Acts as a liaison for, and provides staffing support at events as requested by Director of Education
Required Skills and Experience
- Some knowledge of modern and contemporary art, issues, and theories
- Proficient with internet research, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook, PowerPoint
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Discretion and ability to maintain confidential matters
- Professionalism in dealing with public, volunteers, staff, and business associates
- Duties are mostly sedentary; however standing, kneeling, crouching, reaching, walking, lifting, carrying, and moving materials are required
- Essential physical requirements include written and oral communication as well as the ability to hear/perceive sound
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work
- Be able to pass criminal background check
Hours are flexible, however the preferred work schedule is Monday - Friday mornings. Evening and weekend hours are sometimes required for programs and events.
Starting wage negotiable based on skill and experience
The Museum Education Assistant is a part-time position (approximately 25 hours per week) eligible for time off accrual, but not for other benefits
Please include cover letter in the "Message" box when applying