The Des Moines Art Center is known for its world-class collection of artwork and magnificent architecture. The Art Center is seeking a Part-Time Sales Associate to provide excellent customer service to visitors in the museum gift shop.
- Open point of sale register and balance register at the close of each day. Enter sales and take payment for merchandise
- Straighten, clean, and organize sales floor each day upon arrival and as needed
- Prepare and price incoming merchandise
- Maintain product knowledge of merchandise and museum exhibitions and programs. Convey this information to customers
- Cultivate Art Center memberships
Required skills and experience
- Excellent communication and customer service skills are essential
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office software
- Ability to learn point of sale system
- Desire to learn about the Art Center and its collections
- Previous retail sales experience preferred
- Medium Work Requirement: standing, climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, repetitive motion and driving
- May need to exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or 20 pounds of force frequently.
- The ability to climb on a ladder is required
- Be able to successfully pass a criminal background check
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work
Work is generally performed in an indoor environment with occasional outdoor work for specific events
This is a part-time position scheduled primarily during the day on alternating weekdays, Saturdays, Sundays and Thursday evenings for approximately 15 – 20 hours per week.
Starting wage is negotiable based on skill and experience.
Please include cover letter text in the "Message" box when applying