The primary function of the Driver is to operate various tractor-trailer combinations for extended periods of time, over long distances between company/customer facilities, terminals, yards and/or work sites in order to pick up, transport and deliver freight in a safe, timely and efficient manner. As part of this function, Drivers drop, hook, spot or otherwise interchange equipment for loading or unloading at various locations under varied conditions. Second only to safety, providing excellent customer service is a critical function of the driver position.
Transportation and Delivery Logistics
- Safely operates tractor trailer equipment in different configurations as assigned, with varying weights as allowed by law, under all types of climatic conditions, terrain, road conditions and traffic situations.
- Executes route sequences and directions outlined by transportation department management.
- Ensures that all required shipping documentation accompanies all deliveries.
- Secures receipt of all returned material, ensuring that the appropriate paperwork has been secured.
- Frequently communicates with dispatch/operations to advise of stops, movements, problems with equipment, problems with cargo, accidents, incidents involving company equipment, driving violations, delays, and/or other concerns.
- Utilizes the technological resources mandated by the company in an effective and efficient manner.
- Maintains an accurate driver’s log in compliance with FMCSA regulations and company policies.
- Sweeps and/or washes out trailers, as needed, always keeping the tractor in a clean condition.
- Performs all duties in accordance with company policies and procedures, and complies with all federal, state and local regulations for the seure and safe operation of a commercial motor vehicle.
- Conducts through pre-trip and post-trip inspections of the equipment assigned as prescribed by the FMCSA regulations and company policy.
- Ensures that cargo is properly secured in the trailer for delivery.
- Provides friendly, curtious service to each of DW’s customers they deliver to, being diligent to ensure the customer’s satisfaction.
- Assists the customer in unloading product when practical, and within company guidelines.
- Ensures that the delivery receipt is signed by DW’s customers.
- Communicates with the customer service team and transporation manager on all matters that affect the customer’s delivery and satisfaction.
- Supports efforts to achieve the company’s Mission and Vision, and demonstrates the company’s Core Values in their job performance.
- Communicates effectively with various management and operational departments, as the position requires.
- Attends any training/inservice as required by department and/or corporate management
- Complies with all OSHA safety requirements, work rules and regulations.
- All other duties as requested by management.
Formal Education and Certification
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Must possess a valid Commercial Driver’s License
Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum of 3-5 years experience driving a commercial motor vehicle.
- Must have extensive knowledge of federal and state laws regulating inter and intra-state commerce.
- Must posesss a clean driving record
- Experience making multiple stops and deliveries is preferred
- Experience with transportation and logisitics onboard systems
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Proactive;dedicated to teamwork
- Ability to work under pressure and with shifting priorities
- Desire to serve
Indeed - 13 months ago
DW Distribution Inc, established in 1955, is a leading two-step wholesale distributor of building materials and millwork products serving...