DaVita

1.2K reviews

DaVita Employee Reviews

Found 1,167 reviews matching the search
Stay away from the hype with this "new upcoming" company
Patient Relations Liaison (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 21, 2013
There is alot of unnecessary hype surrounding this up and coming company. Unfortunately, because i was so desperate to find a job I bought into what many other reviewers and the company's website said. Let me break down the major pros and cons that others may not have told you about so that you're fully informed before you accept the position.

*Interview process- (pro- speedy) The interview process was very fast and thorough. I applied online one day, had and interview with a recruiter the next day and then 3 more phone interviews that same week. By the beginning of the next week i had an in person interview and then a week later a second in person interview and was offered the position within two days.

*Offer and acceptance- (con- salary and benefits) I was told by through the job listing and interviews that the hospital where the position would be located required an individual with a RN nursing or Masters in Social Work degree, however the actual job qualifications through Davita were only a high school diploma. This became important when salary negotiations came into play. Despite RNs and Master of Social Work degrees making $55,000-$60,000 salaries within the local hospital market, Davita would not pay me (an individual with a Masters in Social Work and 10 yrs work experience) any more than $40,000 because they said the position qualifications were only for a high school diploma. Despite multiple discussions, including that the hospital would only accept a RN or MSW they still would only pay the highschool diploma salary. Like i said, i only accepted the offer out of
  more... desperation

* Benefits- (Con- vacation days) benefits are sold as though they're a great package. I worked for a much smaller company previously and was offered much better and more affordable benefits. Davita should be able to do better for their employees. The benefits package starts with 15 days per year off. These 15 days include all holidays, sick days, personal days, vacation days. When you consider that at least 7 of the 15 days are holidays every other company allows employees, this leaves you with only 8 days for vacation, personal, and sick days combined. This is terrible for a large company and someone working full-time. The health care options are equally bad. You are offered a few plans to choose from. The being most affordable is the high deductible with health savings account. For a single individuals the cost is $40 per pay or $80 per month and they they contribute $600 to your health savings account per year. However if you start working midyear they prorate the amount coming out to about $50 per month. If you have monthly medications, this doesnt really help. Health insurance kicks in after 3 months of employment however they dont tell you that your health savings account will not have money in it for at least an additional month after that. They do not deposit their portion into the HSA until the 20th day of the month after health insurance kicks in. Also very misleading to employees

*After Hire: So you've been hired and are excited to be working and have the ability to pay your bills. Beware that you will also be paying Davita's bills for a few months until you are able to navigate your way through frustrating corporate tape get them to stop taking their bills out of your pay check. You are given a cellphone to use as part of the role and are given the option to use as your personal phone if you pay $12 extra per paycheck. I specifically elected to not use as a personal phone, but they continued to take out money from every paycheck for at least 3 months before resolving and reimbursing me. In addition, any expenses i needed to be reimbursed for (their required training, mileage, etc) accumulated due to their expense policy and was owed several hundred dollars that i was not reimbursed for over 2 months. When i finally got through their red tape to be reimbursed, my checks were sent across the country to a center i did not work at. When i called saying i never received checks, i had to wait an additional month for them to cancel the mis-sent checks and reissue new ones. I am still waiting on one check. A month has gone by since i reported it was never received, still nothing.

* Goofy practices- Corporate tries to build community by goofy practices such as calling the company a village and the CEO the mayor. The only thing that they got right about their analogy is that Davita really is like a village. A village where the CEO is king and the employees are the peasants who hope for any scraps that might be thrown their way after their hardwork. The only real pro about this company is the available job position to help people as they are going through dialysis.

I won't be staying with Davita any longer and I hope this review has helped you to make an informed decision before accepting a position with this company. The only type of individual who may benefit from working here may be a highschool graduate that they can use to pay a lower salary to despite them being unqualified for this position.
Pros
pre-job training
Cons
benefits, healthcare benefits horrible
Don't drink the Kool-Aid
Dietitian (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 30, 2012
In the majority of the clinics in the Atlanta-Metro area Dietitians are not provided with adequate support to achieve clinical outcomes. In DaVita people capable of believing inspiring rhetoric and unable to process it’s disconnect from actual practice are supremely happy "teammates." DaVita's CEO is the highest paid in this category of healthcare companies. He is a handsome, brilliant public relations master, and he has an insatiable appetite for applause. DaVita has learned how to use soaring language, megatrons and constant propaganda to substitute for 401K match, for promotion from within, and most importantly, for staffing dialysis clinics well enough to minimize clinical error and allow nurses/Dietitians/techs/Social Workers to do the patient care that would live up to the core values. DaVita abuses the facility managers to the point that the most competent, patient-centered RNs would never take the job, and when they do, they go back to the floor after a few years, realizing the rhetoric was hollow and they are going to be pounded relentlessly to compromise patient care. To stoke the ego of the CEO, DaVita has begun to recruit regional managers from Ivy-League schools who have no medical background or professional medical ethics--giving Kent Thiry (or KT) the opportunity to pretend he's Steve Jobs mentoring tomorrow's business tycoons. KT has a genius for PR, getting flattering profiles published in newspapers, mobilizing employees to vote for him in various industry polls, getting employees to do charity walks for the PAC DaVita used to oppose healthcare reform. People  more... who thrive in DaVita are those who learn to manipulate the rhetoric, either sincerely or cynically, to conform with the themes of upper management. That ability is prized more highly than hard work, intelligence, commitment, and certainly more than concern for patient care. The rhetoric keeps clinical workers, nurses and technicians, off balance--as if the MBAs are the ones with the most rigorous commitment to high quality medical care, and seduces naive people into thinking DaVita is a benevolent organization so that no unionization is needed. The clinics themselves have a brutal, unforgiving pace for employees and facility managers. Since the recession, DaVita's profits have grown each quarter as it cut back salaries, raises, and bonuses and reduced benefits, especially, ironically, health insurance for employees. When challenged about the lack of 401K matching at company rallies, Mr. Thiry is able to cry actual tears reading a letter from a "teammate" who said he could not afford to save in the 401K and so would miss matching benefits if they were available to others. DaVita isn't any different than any other mega-corp. pushing the limits of legality. It's not about the law, it's about manipulating the law's gray areas to extract the biggest possible payout.Check out the current lawsuit the Vainer Drs have against DaVita. I wonder what happened to the core value of integrity there?
People Services (Human Resources) manager for this area is very conniving and dishonest. His sole purpose is to carry out whatever the clinic/group/regional managers want. He covers up management’s illegal, immoral, and unethical “dirt” and kisses their behinds in order to stay in their good graces. He talks down to employees as if they are beneath him. Avoid him if at all possible. If you must have interaction with him do it via email.
Pros
very flexible schedule for social workers and dietitians, decent pay. lots of regional and national meetings in good hotels with good food, although you have to attend sessions from 8:00am to 11:00pm
Cons
clinical service's specialist (css) constantly piling unnecessary work on dietitians, management, people services (human resources)
Great Company in general, Poor Life balance in IT. Slim chance of career growth in IT.
IT Technical Professional (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 22, 2014
I worked in DaVita IT for more than 4 yrs. This review covers a period of time overlapping the 2010-2013 timeframe, give or take one year before or after. Keep in mind that the situation and corporate environment could be different or changed at this time.

DaVita is a great healthcare company with a nice culture; it pays well too. Benefits are ok, but not 5-star; being a Fortune-500 they could do better.

Co-workers: Called 'Teammates' in Davita, I had the honor to work with some of the best teams I ever worked with, learnt a lot from them, people don't slack in this company, great people, great talent.

Mgmt: Good in general, but as in any large org, pockets of bad Mgmt & deviations from general culture can exist. An issue I saw is way too frequent re-orgs, high-level IT Mgmt seemed they needed to justify they were doing something by coming up with unnecessary and disruptive re-orgs one or twice per yr. ..and then gathered everybody that was lucky enough to not get kicked out during the re-org to assure them that their jobs 'are safe'.

Hardest part: In I.T. you work your 'shoulder' off, frequent long nights, and weekends (everybody understands that "I.T. is like that", and some mgrs used this line sometimes) but NEVER in this company I heard a Mgr. or an HR person say that you could compensate your worked night/weekend by taking a day or two off later on. If you wanted time off, you had to request PTO and burn your PTO time. That was the general policy. Of course you need to be available early the next day after a night change to provide support for issues, but after that
  more... it was just jump onto next project and keep going. So nobody took time off to offset worked overtime, this was unheard of in DaVita. After several months of this you end up working hundreds of extra hours of your life that were not paid for, and you will never get back. I worked in different teams with different managers during my time at the company, so this problem was not isolated to a single manager or a single team.
But to be entirely fair, in "compensation" of your donated extra hours and hard work, we did get regularly free pizza, or a free lunch or dinner, a spamming thread of kudos email from Mgmt, or the occasional pat in the back. The only thing missing was a happy face sticker to completely evoke a feeling of 4th-grade school treatment.

The above issue got gradually aggravated during my stay by a virtual freeze on hiring of skilled IT staff (ie. people who do the actual work), on several of the IT lanes. If anyone left the company (or was let go), others had to assume the load and keep the show on. More than two years of this can mine any team, this went on for at least the last 4 yrs that I was in the company.
But I did see frequently during same timeframe that IT management positions were filled with people from outside (I even got to interview my future boss once!). The consequential issue here is that there were not really many alternatives in this company for an skilled IT technical staff to grow his/her career (get promoted) if they wanted too; obviously, facing a sheer shortage of skilled technical staff, these skilled professionals would not be the first ones to be considered for Mgmt positions, or offered many other options to grow because then there would be even less resources left to do the real work.

I don't know if this situation continues, my guess is it may take several years for it to improve. If you want to consider this company as a employer please feel free to go for it, keep an eye open, and best of luck.
Pros
great teams, teamwork, on-the job learning
Cons
life-balance (it)
Goes against every ethical bone in my body...
Registered Dietitian (Former Employee) –  Anytown, USAJanuary 11, 2013
I worked for DaVita as a dietitian. The pay + hours (more flexible than current job) were the main attraction. Not that the hrs are THAT flexible...the recruiter said "you can leave at 2 if you have a dentist appt, work the hrs you need to as you are the respected professional at DaVita". I didn't need that much flexibility, but great, good to know! Well, the recruiter lied...the hrs are a straight 8-8.5hrs w/same start and end time each day. Some clinics the RD gets paid for lunch, other clinics they do not get paid for lunch. Since the dietitian is one of the only positions that does not punch a time clock (along w/Social Worker and FA), the dietitian's time in/out is scrutinized by all of the other positions that DO punch a time clock (RNs, PCA, AA, etc.). I was looking for a position in which I could work 8:30-4:30 most days, 9-5 occasionally for school drop-off, etc. It was not flexible. Hrs were either 7:30-4:30 OR 8-4. No different than my current job and ultimately, was not the reason for me to leave the position. You know that bad feeling you get, deep down, that you question whether you should pay attention to it? Well, pay attention to it! I should have. The feeling started during the completely unprofessional interview process (bashing other employees, gossiping, not checking references, etc). If I had listened to my gut feeling, I would not have worked in a place that. ethically, makes me cringe. DaVita does too many blood draws yet at the same time will not check necessary bloodwork all for the fear of the clinics #'s going in the 'red zone'. And that red zone...be  more... prepared for weekly (at times yelling, screaming) phone calls from corporate that put the RD in the defensive. Perhaps that K is so high because he is a heroine addict just doesn't fly. Out-of-range albumin, PTH, K, Phos, Ca++ are our fault alone. The corporate goals were sickening. The clinical goals just as bad. Pts treated poorly by staff while others obviously favored. Providing med samples all day long when it is the MD who should do so. Staff saying "don't eat for the next 3days (when blood draw is)...then you can eat whatever you want for the next 2wks". Bully-ish attitudes "why are you allowing that patient to eat yogurt!?!?!?". Um, I am not the police. Second, if she is 92yrs old and that is ALL she will eat for lunch, well then she can have the 150mg of phosphorus! How is that 150mg different from the 200mg phos-containing pro bars that DaVita recommends? I love the DaVita recipes...make everything with gallons of non-dairy creamer! YA-those hydrogenated oils are just fine for someone with kidney failure. Oh, that is right...we only care about the kidney, not the heart attack! Oh, that low albumin...eat more and more and more and more protein. No...even more protein! But don't go into detail re: lean protein, healthier options...because again, who cares re: heart. And never mind the MANY other possible reasons for low albumin...seldom considered. That patient looks like he is going to keel over....quick, get him outside, less paperwork if he has a heart attack in the clinic. I quit...happily, comfortably...with a pay cut and a smile on my face.  less
Pros
getting to really know the patients
Cons
everything else
The Walmart of Healthcare
BMT (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJune 24, 2013
This company overall isn't a good company to work for. There are several areas of concern with this company. If you're a quality driven employee this might not be a suitable company to work for. The education aspect of this company is very good however staff tends to be overstretched and overworked that the education learned is at times compromised along with quality. Some business practices may be contrary to their very own core values, ie. encouraging the purchase of refurbished parts, problem solving may be delayed due to costs. Also this company is very proactive in reducing costs however the implementation of these changes are expected along with duties expected without exceeding 40hrs. There's a cult like atmosphere whereas reality is associated with the local level and fantasy is associated in the corporate level.

Management can act in ways of retaliation, lack credibility and integrity. Free thinking, realistic and practical employees may be seen as going against the grain. Most managers are about the numbers instead of quality and efficiency. They may also tend to be more concerned about their own objectives instead of the employees working for them. Also management may often delegate employees to do something they may not know how to do themselves. Your work and your ideas may be given credit to someone other than you. Salary employees tend to work around the clock answering or making phone calls, sending or receiving emails and begin to impose and expect that practice with hourly employees.

Advancement can be very difficult. If you're a realistic person and don't
  more... easily buy into things you're uncomfortable with then you may not advance with this company. Also advancement depends on who you know instead of your quality of work. Also advancement may not necessarily be wise with this company depending on the position. The stress level that comes along with certain management positions can adversely affect the well-being and health of managers and may filter down to those who work around them.

Minimal annual compensation increases is a disappointment with this fortune 500 company along with no 401k matching. It communicates how the employees are regarded.

Work life balance is also poor. Long working days are common. Leisure activities, hobbies and interests may be compromised due to these long days and be an inconvenience.

Overall I would recommend avoiding this company.
Pros
profit sharing, education driven
Cons
no 401k matching, minimal 1%-2% average annual compensation increases
Productive fun atmosphere, enjoy meeting patients and families, make a difference in peoples life everyday
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Casselberry, FLAugust 22, 2013
Outpatient dialysis is a very fast paced environment where time management is essential.The day typically starts at 4:30 a.m. by preparing the clinic, dialysis machines, and dialysis solutions before patients arrive between 5:30a.m.-5:45a.m. Once patients start arriving, its time for the party to get started. First we assess the patients and then initiate their dialysis treatment based on docotors orders. Patients have to be continuously monitored to prevent any adverse occurrences. The patient is usually on the dialysis machine an average of 3-4 hours. at that time we take care of additional duties like care planning, patient education, adminstering medications, and preparing for the next shift of patients. Once the first shift of patients have completed their treatments, things get really hectic in initiating the treatment for the second shift of patients while trying to get the first shift of patients out the door. After all patients for second shift are receiving their treatment employees take lunch break, prepare for the next day,etc. Once second shift is over usually about 3:00p.m., we clean and disinfect the machines and we are usually out the door by 4:00 p.m.

Managers are different throughout the organization. I personally had a great experience with my manager, who was very helpful in patient care, knowledgeable about the dialysis industry on a whole, and just a great mentor in general.

Team work is essential in this environment, I worked with a great team, who was more like a family. Of course every family has their occasional scuffles, but in the end it all works
  more... out.

The hardest part of the job is completing all responsibilities within a specified time frame. Multi-tasking is key to accomplishing everything.

The most enjoyable part of the job as a dialysis nurse is knowing that I make a difference in my patients' lives everyday. The bond and the relationships you form are never forgotten.
Pros
good benefits, finish working early, great learning environment
Cons
short breaks, variable schedule, early start in the morning
NOT A GOOD PLACE IF YOU HAVE A POOR FACILITY ADMINISTRATOR
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  MichiganApril 6, 2013
"Fun off and on the clock?" What a joke! I was hired for a position that "fell through" then I was expected to drive 1 1/2 to 2 hrs away for work because the facility I was working in didn't have the hours to give me. I was told by the FA that she couldn't help what happened (about the position falling through). My question is....why hire someone for a position if not all of the "T's are crossed and I's dotted"?! Obviously the position I hired for did not include driving (only during training), then all of a sudden, guess what? Sorry, your position that you were training for "fell through" and now you have to travel! WHAT? Because I did not want to travel, I found another position outside of hemodialysis but have since applied to try to get into Davita again in another state and the FA talks "smack" and I am unable to get back in, even though my work ethic with the company was wonderful and I did everything they wanted me to do in preparation for this new position they were creating that "fell through!" I can't help it either it fell through but I knew I could not travel 1 1/2 to 2 hrs for work. What kind of person will block someone of being rehired when the circumstances really was not their fault! How EVIL of her! KARMA is the only thing I can say! It is sad because I have over 15 years HD experience and have much to offer this company. Even the PD nurse I was training with apologized and said she was sorry for the way Davita treated me! I told her not to apologize, that it really isn't Davita, it's the people they put as FAs of these clinics that have no feeling at all!  more... But then again, maybe it is Davita.......because they certainly are not aware of the way their staff are being treated! What makes it bad, also, is that a lot of the FAs are not clinical at all, so they really have no clue about what is happening on the floor, nor can they cover if someone is ill. They have not "walked the walk" at all. Most have been chosen because of management degrees. Makes for poor management decisions!
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you!" KARMA!
Pros
good pd education training in nashville, tennessee
Cons
berserk, mean and evil facility administrators with no feelings for others
They want robots--not people who actually think.
Business side (Former Employee) –  VariousOctober 28, 2012
I started here in 2008, and had a bad feeling from the start. But, I wanted to give it a chance and decided to stay at least three years. (Plus, less than 3 years on a resume often doesn't look good to potential employers.

This is a cult-like organization. Management de-values quality work, and promotes a "cheerleder" mentality. They outwardly and unabashedly admit this to employees.

That should tell you something, most notably the quality of patient care and the qualifications of managers. Mangers are not promoted based on skill or ability (on the patient-care OR business side). Rather, they are promoted only on how much they drink the corporate KoolAid.

My co-workers, for the most part, were wonderful. Dedicated and filled with great ideas to make better products and provide better services, but they were too fearful to ever suggest an idea. And, for those who DID make positive, constructive suggestions on how to improve a work process or create a better patient or employee experience, they were quickly cut down by managers. This is a place that wants "order-takers" (even at high-level management positions) rather than intelligent, qualified, strategic thinkers.

This next comment is based specifically toward the business side, as I have limited knowledge of the clinical side for this next observation: If you like a job where you don't have to think and just show up for a spoon-fed paycheck, and really are not interested in improving your skills, bettering the company or becoming a better professional, then this is the company for you. If you are at all self-motivated,
  more... a stategic thinker who is always interested in improving a process or making the company better, then you should skip DaVita.

PTO is a joke. Company-mandated holidays have to be taken out of your PTO, so beware of this if you are interviewing for a position here. They don't tell you that little detail in the interviews.
Pros
co-workers.
Cons
demoralizing culture, cult-like environment.

Comment – November 22, 2012

Very accurate description. Well put.

Productive workplace
Document Processor (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 20, 2014
A Typical day in my department is, If you have been trained on the job functions, which there are three parts to the whole department, you can go from one function to the next. Being agile and flexible are big qualities for DaVita's Imaging Center. you first learn to Prep, than to Scan, then if you metrics are good you then learn the correspondence lane. My day usually consists of, I start out prepping documents, which you prep Cash documents, Business office documents, or recycled cash. After that is completed or according to the schedule for the day they move me to scanning the documents into the system so the other departments are able to do their job, and then there is the Correspondence side of the department which i have not yet been trained on. They make sure all the document arrive from the banks and that items are not missing though the mail.
The hardest part is prepping Business office documents, and making sure all documents are properly prepped, we have to make sure to figure out what documents go together or not, and half the time it is hard to tell if some documents go together or not.Management is very flexible and if they need you to move they are good about letting you know where they need you and are good at being able to answer questions when needed. At DaVita we don't have co-workers, we have teammates, and we work in a Village, our CEO is Known as the Mayor. But my teammates are good to work with, we all know whats to be done and ask one another if the previous day is completed before moving onto the next. The most enjoyable, is that one of our core values
  more... is fun, so we have a fun Committee, so on birthdays we are able to decorate teammates desks, and also plan fun activities for our department along with having potlucks! Another good factor is that we are allowed to wear headphones to listen to our own music.  less
Pros
4/10 schedule!
Cons
not enough pay.
love this company
charge nurse (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 21, 2014
First is patient familiarity. You will see the same patients three to four times. This can be good. Of course you will learn about them; you can tell by looking at them if there is something acutely wrong. They will develop a trust relationship with you which you may not find with other venues where your patients rarely see you.

Second is more than likely it will be a nurse led clinic. This means I schedule dialysis related appointments, fax treatment sheets, call hospitals and nursing homes for follow up. I may even have to file documents directly into charts. In a larger setting there will be more aides to do this for you but sometimes in the dialysis clinic if you want a job done right you have to "do it yourself."

Third There's a water treatment system to learn, and hemodialysis machines to learn how to operate and troubleshoot. You will have to keep an eye on infection control because there's several patients in the clinic. You'll have technicians and LVNS working under you of course however I like to know inside and out how to perform my job.

You wake up very early and have 4 10 hour shifts if you want and basically have 3 days off.

Dialysis becomes very routine sometimes even though it is a highly specialized field, there's only 3 medications you will routinely give and maybe 10 PRN medications. I've been doing this for 6 years and I'm getting bored. yet there are times when some patients have MIs, CVAs, etc on the machine and that patient require your quick response. As soon as you think this is routine job, something like a patient going out on a machine, will keep
  more... you on your toes, and put all of your nursing skills into play.

The hardest part of my job is waking up early @ 3:30am.
The most enjoyable part is my patient interactions
The patients are what keeps me dedicated to nursing.
Pros
pt interactions
Cons
getting up early
Productive and fun place to work
Prior Authorization Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Coppell, TXMay 18, 2014
By Following DaVita's Core Values, you will be a successful worker

Service Excellence

Serving others — our reason for existing. We continually seek to understand the needs of those who depend on us (our patients, doctors, and our fellow team members) and then to exceed their expectations.

Integrity

We say what we believe, and we do what we say. We are trusted because we are trustworthy. In our personal, team, and organizational values, we strive for alignment in what we say and do.

Team

One for All, and All for One! We work together, sharing a common purpose, a common culture and common goals. We genuinely care for and support, not only those to whom we provide care, but those with whom we work shoulder-to-shoulder. We work together to pursue achieving our Mission.

Continuous Improvement

We never stand still; we are never satisfied. Individually, and as teams, we constantly look at what we do, and ask, “How can we do this better?” Then, we use a systematic approach to take action.

Accountability

We don’t say, “It’s not my fault,” or “It’s not my job.” We take responsibility for meeting our commitments — our personal ones as well as those of the entire organization. We take ownership of the results.

Fulfillment

We make a difference. We feel rewarded — personally and as a team — because what we do in our jobs is consistent with our goals and dreams. We believe “You must be the change you wish to see in the world.” (Mahatma Gandhi). And, when you are the change, that’s fulfilling!

Fun

We enjoy what we do. We know kidney dialysis is hard work; but even hard work can
  more... be fun. We take our jobs seriously, but we feel a fun environment delivers better care to our patients while creating a better work environment for our teammates. We strive for excellence and we have fun.  less
Cons
been a temp for over 90 days now
High Stress company centered with mediocre management
Renal Dietitian (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 4, 2014
They is no typical work day at a dialysis clinic. You never know what you are going to walk into in the morning. One day it could be a code going on when you walk in or sunshine and puppies.
I learned how to managed a very stressful job and new babies/family. I also learned to not sweat the small stuff. I grew a lot as a person and as a dietitian during this job.
The management was not the best in the particular region we were in. It took some about a year to complete the employee reviews on approximately 30 teammates. We all waited on our raises for quite some time. We had to go above our facility administrator to our regional operations director. This only occurred a few times.
The co-workers were good and fun. I really liked all of my teammates. The social worker and the admin assistant and clinical coordinator were great!! I especially enjoyed the Medical Director and nurse practitioner. They were exceptional!
The hardest part of the job was discussing with patients their high risk of heart failure and death and also getting them to understand why they really needed to follow the prescribed diet. The worst part of the job was watching someone being coded on the floor and all the other patients having to watch one of their friends dying. That was a bad day.
The most enjoyable part of the job were the patients!! I loved them all. They were all so funny in their own way. I loved getting to know everyone so well. I really enjoyed the older patients that had been on dialysis for 20 plus years. They were so knowledgeable.
The BEST part of the job was when I knew I had actually
  more... really helped a patient feel better because that's all I really want to do it help people.  less
Pros
patients, teammates, salary
Cons
management, parking
Thankful for the experience but the heck with them!!!
CCHT/ Patient Care Tech (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 19, 2015
I worked their 2012-2014 and DaVita was a great place to work as an intern but as soon as you became a employee all the secrets start to unfold. This is a money hungry company that cares only about the patients making it to treatments to sit on their machines so they can get paid. In Detroit, MI everyone that is hired is related in some sort of way. If you arent related to anyone the staff treats you as an outkast. The Facility Administrators are sneaky and write you up over petty things that happen a month ago (i.e tardy 2 minutes past 4:35 am (doors dont open until 5:30 am), no leather gymshoes)to keep their files current, also they come to each others clinics to sit in FA/staff meetings as witnesses, messing up your chances of going to another clinic by word of mouth from other FA's. They all rig there numbers for high DQI scores. People Services (Corporate) claims they are here to help PCT's / Nurses with any concerns, but their is no winning against FA's. They protect them 100% based off the clinics DQI scores and your previous write ups. You see so many techs come and go, and Nurses only fin for themselves. Its a very unhappy place to work. Also pressured to work 4 consistent 12 hour shifts because the FA chooses to work short staffed due to the monthly budget. Some care about your work life balance, other FA's dont at all. Be careful of what clinic you choose to work at, Kresge as well as Schaefer and Detroit West, and Grosse Pointe. No hearsay all facts. GO TO FRESENIUS!!! THEY LOVE GETTING DAVITA TECHS.
Pros
making a difference in patients lives on a daily basis. loving my patients and co-workers.
Cons
everything! i hope someone from coroporate see this so they can crack down!
Productive and fun workplace with a great set of core values
Credit Balance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 30, 2012
A typical day at work is fast-paced and very productive. An average day consists of about approximately 15-20 calls, 20 emails, 7 voice messages, and 18 pieces of correspondence per day to answer and reply. And for every piece I answer and/or reply, I update various spreadsheets recording my transactions. Emphasis is on the turnaround time for the various requests, 24 hours to respond to a voice message or phone call, and 48 hours for emails and correspondence. What I learned is to never assume teamwork is always guaranteed and that you always ask questions, even when you understand. I worked under some wonderful excellent supervisors and managers. They really knew how to get those who work under them to understand and to do what it takes to get it done. My current supervisor left the company just a while ago and a new supervisor has taken over for the past few weeks - update to come. I work with some wonderful co-workers...just absolutely wonderful. The hardest part of my job is now trying to keep up with all the changes that has taken place since the new supervisor arrived. She has implimented many new procedures for us to follow. Change is always good and I've been keeping up with them. In addition, I really get into my job and it is fast-paced, it does make the time go quickly. And I've made such good friends, let alone teammates, that my job feels fun.
Pros
many potlucks, monthly teammate competitions with the departments, various company-held functions, wonderful teammates, focus and emphasis on team.
Cons
short lunches and breaks, tight productivity goals, "at-will" termination
Long exhausting hours, no respect
Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Float PoolNovember 13, 2015
This is one of the hardest jobs that I have worked in a while. They care nothing about their nurses, the staff that you are in charge of are rude and disrespectful. I respect everyone for their role but you have pcts that has been there longer than you so therefore they feel that you have no right to tell them anything. The same is for the LPNs.
Two of DaVita's core values are team and integrity in which no one has. You work with mostly females whom is always dram every day. There is no support from your managers, when you have one. Most of them there has a lack of integrity and are always back biting and untrustworthy. There is always a power struggle going on. The teammates that serve as administrative assistants are the eyes and ears for the manager and if you have any type of issues with them, then they will do anything to get you out the door. They try to serve as the manager. The managers have allowed this for so long to go on so therefore, you will never win this battle. Once they paint a certain picture of you to the higher being, you are doomed and set up. They have something in place called H.R.that deal with teammate relations. If you ever make the mistake of picking up the phone to complain, then you have put a target on your own back, therefore, it is best to just move on instead of waiting for them to come for you. I have never worked in a place where the managers do retaliate. The hours are very long, sometimes from 4 am till 7 or 8 pm. They are always short staffed and refuse to use an agency.The turn over is huge.
Pros
Most of the patients appreciate you
Cons
Where do I start
Poor Management
PCT (Former Employee) –  WisconsinOctober 20, 2015
I loved the patients I worked with, but this job was way more stressful than it needed to be. Management was very manipulative. All talks about all these wonderful benefits and pay. The benefits were good, but the pay that was promised was a complete lie. I never got my raise, even though I had a good report with patients and families, and of course my fellow team. Worse, I was told once I got certified, I would not be getting a raise, all because my FA needed to stick within her budget.
sometimes worked 12-14 hour shifts with only one 30 minute break. Yes where I worked, we were treated like animals. The RN's never got to take a break, because there was no one to relieve them. Not even for 15min. Many different things were promised, talked about, but there barely was a positive outcome. That caused a lot of resentment, distrust, and bitterness. The RN's then felt as if they could treat the techs however they wanted, and it was just ugly. The sad part of it was that management knew about how we all felt, and they turned a bling eye.
Again, the company has core values and morals. I have seen other Davita facilities actually live by these morals. Man did I urn to work there, but I was told that I couldn't leave my facility. I worked my butt off for this company, I put in lots of hours, I put up with people who treated me unfair, and I got nothing in the end when I tried to transfer to another state. No help at all. So I decided not to stay with the company.
Pros
You can make a positive difference in someones life.
Cons
Poor work schedules, Not enough breaks, manipulative management
Great company over all.
Licensed Vocational Nurse (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAMay 5, 2014
Start with setting up materials to be ready for patient care in the three different shifts that the consisted of. Aseptic and clean practices to minimize client contamination and disease spreading. Cared for the different access as per policy for DaVita and federal regulations so that dialysis was rendered safely and appropriately. Cleaned area were clients had dialysis and prepared for next client. Care of machines and equipment so no interruptions or danger was presented to clients or teammates. Learned about proper PPE usage and time management skills that made the job safe and efficient. Management was great with numbers because we were the number once facility in our region. The hard part with management was the micro management style they practiced. It was overwhelming at times but the job was always done for the best interest of the patient. Co-workers were mostly very hard working and made for the daily experience to be professional and for good cohesion to be established. The hardest was to come to a balanced agreement with the higher ups and how we did our jobs as best as we possibly can. The mot enjoyable was the feeling of accomplishment when giving a successful dialysis treatment to clients as they smiled and felt that they were being cared for.
Pros
fun working environment producing team bulding, and patient felt more relaxed, bonuses awarede if facilty performed well quarterly.
Cons
monitorey compensation in reviews were lacking all around.
At Davita we have certain core values, one of them is fun. Sometime we have fun, but sometime it's not so fun.
Registered Nurse HHD/PD (Current Employee) –  Buford, GAJune 23, 2012
My day starts off with reviewing my e-mails to see if there is anything I need to take care of. I usually repond to anyone who is trying to contact me. Then after that I usually look for current lab results, then review them. If I have low or high results I call the doctor immediatley to go over them with the doctor. If there is any medication changes I usually order the medication then inform my patient of the changes. I update the medication into the patient's record, then call the pharmacy to order the medication. I order supplies from Baxter or NXStage. I train patients sometime in the mornings or sometime in the afternoons depending on the patient schedual. The hardest part of my job is staying focused. Not missing anything that needs to be done because there are so many distraction from the phone calls coming in. The delivery people knocking on the door, and because my office is closest to the back door I am the one always end up opening it. The hardest part of my job is keeping up with all the expectations that management place on me. The most enjoyable part of my job is taking care of the patient's and also my proffessional relationship with the patients. My co-workers help me to get my job done when I need them to help me accomplish certain task, but there is room for improvement when it comes to working together as a team.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
short breaks
Firendly work place
Medical Office Externship (Former Employee) –  Forest Park, GAJanuary 10, 2014
I was on time everyday, I would start my day clocking in then i would answer the phones. After lunch i would go out on the floor, which what i mean by that is, where the patients were getting their treatments done to update their files, and insurance forms.
I learned that if you take in everything around as your working and do what your suppose to do as your job. Then you come out a better person in the end every time. There was a group of just good hear ted workers that were management, i remember one day all the workers got a surprise lunch from management just to show that they were proud of their workers. Its the only job i ever had that i loved waking up every morning to go to.
My co workers were great people they would help me when i needed and i would do the same. It was a fun but working at the same time place. I loved it.
I think the hardest part of the job was when you feel like the workers and the patients are like family and i remember one older couple husband and wife both came in for treatment and one day the man came in and told us his wife had passed that morning, he was very upset and we was too. So watching these people going in and out you get to know them, they tell you story's of their lives.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being around people that injoy their job and also for me its helping everyone, those patients and co workers. I believe thats why i went to medical school to to help others.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
didnt get very long break
is very dedicated to patients and core values
Biomed Equipment Technician (Current Employee) –  oklahoma city oklahomaAugust 27, 2013
• Started as part of a national initiative partnering electronic students with experience in degree field.
• Repair and maintain, with support documentation dialysis systems, reverse osmosis (R.O.) water systems, reuse equipment, and ancillary medical equipment as recommended by the equipment manufacturer's specification and DaVita policy and procedures.
• Perform electrical safety assurance and performance testing on all dialysis machines and related electrical equipment as required by equipment manufacturers.
• Monitor R.O. system and log sheet, no less than monthly, for completeness and accuracy, noting any deviations from normal
• Perform and record vital signs; obtain blood samples and culture specimens and prepare for shipment
• Quality, Compliance and Risk Accountability:
• Perform monthly biomedical audit and document findings to ensure that dialysis teammates are following company policies and procedures
• Initiate follow-up and resolution of abnormal Peracetic Acid in air test results
• Upon request, assist the Facility Administrator in performing building-safety inspections to help assure compliance with applicable federal, state, local laws and regulations
Pros
i can come in to work when i want to when there are no problems.
Cons
some times work more than 24 hours straight and allhours of the day and night at other times.