Dairy Farmers of America Employee Reviews in United States

Terrible place to work
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAMarch 13, 2016
Management could care less about the employees. Have no idea what each job entails but will make decisions about the way things in a department will work without any input for those that actually have to do the job. Pay is terrible, barely livable and you will work 50 hours a week with potentially no days off. Schedule is so inconsitant and you have no holidays off. There is absolutely no room for advancement and they give less than 1% raise a year.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Everything else
Write your own paycheck
Production Lead (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOMarch 27, 2016
You can make as much money as you want at DFA, you just have to be prepared to sacrifice your home time. This is an easy job that can be made harder by some floor workers as well as management. Until you work there five plus years you will not get much, if any, time off.
Pros
Make as much as you want
Cons
You will not advance or be promoted with this company if you start outside of a management job.
Don't Value Their Employees
Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CAAugust 4, 2015
They love to talk about their mission statement and values, but they are complete hypocrites. Within the last 2 years they've had almost 90% turnover on management. Corporate comes around and people start "resigning". All management cares about it the bottom line. They pay good, but that's the ONLY good thing about this place. 6 Days a week, 12 hour shifts and in the summer is over 100 degrees inside. Its not worth it, worst job I've ever had.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
Management, Hours, Co-workers, Politics, Corporate, Benefits, Time Off, Incidents, Sick time, HR
Can be what you make of it
Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAMay 31, 2016
This is a very fast-paced environment where you can get dirty. You need to take ownership of your equipment and area and take care of it as if it were your home. Quality and safety of the consumer must be the most important thing on your mind along with your own safety. Not having a supervisor on you all the time is a major plus but can be bad if there are people around you that clearly need to be supervised. The money is great for what the job requires. The health benefits could be better but the retirement program is fantastic.
Pros
Unsupervised, can have fun with other co-workers, great pay, great retirement package if you stay
Cons
Lack of caring from fellow employees, can get dirty and hot, health care could be better
Good Pay, bad morale
Depalletizer Operator (Former Employee) –  Schulenburg, TXMarch 4, 2016
DFA is a great company as far as pay and benefits are concerned, but after four years, the benefits didn't outweigh what I was losing anymore. I worked 7 days a week for as many as 30+ days straight, just to have 1 day off and do it all over. I made a lot of money with all that OT, but I rarely had a chance to see my family or spend it.
Pros
Excellent Pay
Cons
Rarely have a day off
Good Money but be ready to earn it
parts manager (Current Employee) –  New Wilmington, PANovember 23, 2015
If you are applying here better get ready to work for your money but its good money but very long hours most positions are 10-12 hour shifts. stupid management though
DFA Fallon is close-knit plant making work enjoyable.
Quality Assurance Manager (Current Employee) –  Fallon, NVJune 2, 2015
DFA is a large coop with much diversity.

The hardest part of the job is lack of Corporate support in training and implementing of Corporate policies and procedures at a plant level. Their lack of knowledge of a new plant start up has made things more difficult. They had the opportunity to be part of plant design to include GFSI, Regulatory, and Safety requirements.

There does not seem to be much collaboration between DFA plants. They all operate as separate entities rather than one company. There is not a state of the art document control system which is key in maintaining consistency among so many plants.

DFA has many good procedures to build upon, which is beneficial when starting a new plant.
Pros
Simple operation, management easy to work with, family oriented
Cons
Health care benefits, vacation
work everyday get days off rarely
Palletizer and Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Schulenburg, TXJune 22, 2016
work two weeks straight usually. sometimes forced to work 20-30 days in a row with out days off. management is pretty wishy washy. can never get a straight answer from management. hot sweat shop. you get 1 thrity minute break a day. the employees are angry and seem bitter at times. its a hard place to work.
Pros
good insurance
Little to no stress with learning opportunities
Qualily Assurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hughson, CAMay 13, 2016
Work environment is low stress and easy going. Production can be unpredictable and employees have to have the ability to adapt quickly to busy periods. Co-workers are hard working and highly experienced in dairy. Management allows employees to work under very little supervision.
Accounting
ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee) –  Winnsboro, TXNovember 9, 2015
A typical work day included accounting payable/receivable. I learned how to navigate through sap system. The management that was directly over me was below standards. Co workers were decent. The hardest part of the day was trying to find a stopping point. The most enjoyable part was being in the office with my co pilot.
Cons
KRONOS
Process Utility Tech. / Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Cass City, MIDecember 14, 2015
A good place to work, with great co-workers and a nice, understanding management. Must be able to pay attention to fine details and always be thinking ahead.
Good employees to train you
production worker (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOMay 21, 2016
I really liked the guy who trained me but wasn't too happy with pulling to another job that I had no idea what I was doing without any training.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
very hot in the summer
People are great to work witn
SAP Technician/Senior Accounting Specialist (Current Employee) –  Zumbrota, MNFebruary 29, 2016
i have learned a lot and have grown a lot since being at Dairy Farmers of America. CO-workers are very friendly and fun to work with. The new company transition has been smooth and the Plant Manager fits in well there.
ok
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hughson, CAMay 12, 2016
good place to work because they will work with you if you have a personal issue and need some time off to take care of family
Pros
weekends off
Cons
culture employees think they run the place
Management non existant
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAMay 13, 2016
Management is disengaged. Employees have no idea of how to operate machinery,due to no training.I enjoyed working there but 12 hour shifts were very hard to do.

Liked working with the different equipment and the people where great.
Maintenance Technican Tech 1 (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, WIJanuary 6, 2016
This was a nice place to work for. The people I worked with was the best part of my work day. The hardest part of the job was trying to fix the equipment without the proper parts available. I enjoyed the job because I like to fix things and I also like to work with all the different people.
Monotonous
Summer Help (Former Employee) –  West Middlesex, PAJanuary 4, 2016
I worked on the same line for 8 to 12 hours depending on my shift. I had a break every 2 hours or so but other than that I was doing the same job all day. I learned that this kind of work, although boring and monotonous, is important. My co-workers were not friendly all the time so made the job more difficult and at times it made me not want to be there at all.
My Position
Environmental and Quality Compliance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, WIOctober 27, 2015
Through my time with Dairy Farmers of America - Plymouth, WI, I have obtained my Cheese Graders License, Certified in HACCP and SQF. I have gained confidence in auditing with outside agencies. I had begun work with environmental and PSM/RMP (ammonia regulations). I established a grading program, was in the process of establishing my documents for SQF, environmental and PSM/RMP online. I went through documentation and made sure it was correct and up to date.

My manager was very supportive and encouraged me to obtain the certification and license. If ever I needed help, she would be there.
I got along well with my co-workers. We worked as a team.

There wasn't any part of my job that I would consider hard, other than when the plant closed. The most enjoyably part was creating my own path.
Shift Lead
General Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Schulenburg TexasJune 13, 2016
I left due to working only nights. I did love to work with the group of guy in the shop, by not the people outside of the shop
Factory
Assist Human Resources in paperwork (Former Employee) –  Schulenburg, TXApril 21, 2016
Very stable work and pay. Set hours that make it great to work a schedule around. Great management and staff. Great work environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dairy Farmers of America. Our community is ready to answer.