DAIRY QUEEN GRILL & CHILL Employee Reviews

Small location, managers with big heart
Customer Service/Fast Food (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIJanuary 22, 2015
A typical day here includes taking orders, handling money/making change, preparing orders in a timely fashion so that they are fresh and appealing. The atmosphere is very fast paced, specially in the late spring/summer/early fall.

I had already worked at a Dairy Queen location when I came here, so I did not learn terribly much aside from how to make an Orange Julius.

The actual store owners have big heart and were great to work for. Unfortunately, a few of the trainers and other managers were much the type to watch you like a hawk until you made a mistake and then they were all over you. I did try to address this but got nowhere

Co-workers are generally younger.. teens looking for a first or second job.

The most difficult part of this work place was how SMALL it is. This is a very tiny Dairy Queen location and the space in the CHILL (ice cream) area is very limited with many different appliances giving off heat. The dress code is all black. The windows are large and the sun bears down mercilessly on summer days. There was more than one occasion that I felt very faint due to these conditions.

The most enjoyable part of this job was the constant work.. making things and making peoples' day when their children's faces would light up because they got an ice cream cone or a mini-blizzard.
Pros
caring bosses, flexible
Cons
low pay, tiny work environment, gets very hot in summer specially with a dark dress code
Healthy work environment with a competetive feel to be the #1 store
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Newburgh, INJuly 28, 2012
A typical day for me involves making sure the crew making treats stays on task, and helping them through busy hours if they start to get into trouble with confusing orders. Complaints are rare these days, because we responded to them in the past and learned from them.

I could live happily with this job given the people that work here. I just need a little more to afford my necessities.

I learned how to prioritize my tasks given the time of day and the severity of any issues. I've learned how to lead a group in trouble out of a hole (I would have them get into an assembly line for making treats, and tell them to stay in their spots to help get service times faster).

The hardest part of the job is getting certain employees to do their job without me constantly telling them what to do. Thankfully, there are only a few of these people.

The attitude of the store is laid back and humorous when we are slow, and when we are busy, the mood changes to a professional/achievement driven atmosphere. Both attitudes are pleasing to me.
Pros
half priced meals. free drinks
Cons
no benefits, 1 break early in shift.
Productive and fun workplace with great employees
Part Time Associate (Former Employee) –  Cedar City, UTJanuary 19, 2016
Coworkers were willing to help one another out in tasks, if a certain area became over-whelming (i.e. Drive-thru). It was a clean environment, with the help of our daily maintenance. There was always something to do, whether it be cleaning, cooking, or helping customers. Shift managers helped keep everything on track, but enjoyable for employees, especially on bad days. I got to know my co-workers on a more personal level. The hardest part of the job for me was trying not to become involved with some of the work drama. But I found the overall atmosphere and blending the ice cream most enjoyable.
Pros
discounted lunches, flexible schedules
Cons
lingering smell on clothes, large rushes with too few employees on fundraiser nights.
great co-workers
Costumer Service (Current Employee) –  New Port Richey, FLAugust 23, 2015
As much as I hate to say it my overall experience with dairy queen was not great. Although my co workers there were amazing and some of the best people I've ever met, the management there wasn't the best. As a trainee i wasn't trained sufficiently and just thrown into the job without a clue what I was supposed to do. Every time I would ask my manager a question he would give me grief for not knowing. Also i was treated much much worse than my co-workers and they all saw it too but weren't sure why. I am a very respectful honor-roll student and i hate to say bad things like this about any ones business but its the honest truth, I have just decided it would be better to move forward with my life.
Pros
great co-workers and hours
Cons
Poorly treated
Fun place to work and a fun environment
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Crete, NEAugust 22, 2015
A typical day for me would be going in and clocking in then see what position i had to do. It was usually being in drive thru. I would stock all my sauces, lids, cups, napkins etc. When I start to get orders I would try to get them out as soon as possible. In some cases it would take long and I would apologize for the wait and estimate how long the wait would be. My co-workers would help me out if there were too many orders or sometimes they would answer the drive thru. The hardest part of my job was being able to catch up to the orders and get them out as soon as I could. What I liked about this job was that it was always a fun place to work and I would always be happy to work with whoever was there.
Cons
Short breaks, health care
was fun at first but got old after a while.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTDecember 6, 2015
The management from the start wasn't that great but my boss was awesome with training and with answering questions, the other staff members were really helpful as well. When it came down to getting new workers and new equipment my boss shoved it to the side. after a few months working there i was getting my hours cut, the pay wasnt very great, and some other the newer people didn't like/want to do their job so they didn't and every time we would bring it up to the boss he would almost just slap them on the hand and forget about it.
Pros
location, food, some of the workers
Cons
the management very great
Not well managed, rude co-workers, and stressful environment.
Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Chillicothe, MOOctober 18, 2015
I liked getting payed weekly... But half of my co-workers were ignorant. It seemed as if they had no intelligence, and they were rude to me the first week there. I would ask a simple question and get a rude answer. There was always stress and barley any communication at work. Also, one day I had a 12 hour shift and got a timed 5 minute break. My first time closing my co-worker and manager made my mop and sweep the WHOLE restaurant while they went out and smoked cigarettes.
Pros
Occasional free lunches, Paid weekly, Nice manager
Cons
Rude co-workers, Rare Breaks
A fun and productive workplace serving our community
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Harrodsburg, KYOctober 27, 2015
I loved my job at Dairy Queen. A typical day at work was sometimes stressful but we pulled together as a team and completed all of our task for the day. My co-workers and I always got along and helped each other through out the day. Our management there was incredible and always did their part in the work day. I would recommend this job to a person who was looking for one because it Is a great place to work and everyone is so friendly and welcoming.
Pros
free lunches, two breaks in a 8 hour work day, great management
Cons
no healthcare
Great first job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTOctober 3, 2014
Fast-paced environment, fun co-workers and management. I advanced quickly from the time I started and eventually became an assistant manager. I learned most of my customer service and communication skills while employed here. There was a high turn over rate, but in turn I was able to meet and train new employees to be proficient in all areas of the restaurant. I learned how to operate a Point of Sale (P.O.S) system, count/balance cash registers, and also how to put my creative skills to the test in making and decorating ice cream cakes.
Fun easy going place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNApril 29, 2013
A typical work day includes opening or closing the store, accountable for accurate deposits, providing excellent customer service to every customer. We have a very strong management team and we all work very well together. Our co-workers our hard working, the hardest part of the job is when doing the employee schedule, trying to make sure it fits each person needs. The most enjoyable part is getting to know each and every one of them and working together so great as a team.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
bad work schedule
Hectic Fast-Paced Job
Hospitality Associate (Former Employee) –  PASeptember 30, 2015
A typical day at work is very very fast paced. You have to balance taking orders, running orders, and keeping the restaurant in order. I definitely learned how to multi-task in a more effective manor. The management was very small scale so they did many of the same jobs as the other employees. The hardest part of the job is keeping balance and order when it gets busy, which it often does. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to work with people my age.
Great first job and Fun
Crew Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAOctober 30, 2015
Hardest part about this job was working with everyone you knew from high school and separating your personal life from it all. It was a fun, hard working, fast pace atmosphere that was sometimes hard to keep up with. Especially on mothers day! But overall the company was great along with management and what they lived by. Proving great customer service and providing for all customers needs.
Pros
Cons
The size of the work space
Fast paced and once you catch on to things its easy.
Shift Leader/Manager (Current Employee) –  Sandusky, MISeptember 9, 2015
You learn many skills that you do not realize such as counting back change, people skills, and self responsibility. They work very well with the workers when it comes to the schedule if you are in school, sports, or have something else going on.
Pros
They work with my schedule very well.
Cons
Short breaks, only 50% for breaks to eat. even on long days 9-12 hr shifts.
A great place to start your career history, friendly worker and bosses.
Cashier/Icecream (Former Employee) –  Hermiston, ORDecember 5, 2014
A typical day includes doing your assigned duties for the shift and assisting your fellow workers as well. While working here I learned how to multitask and work under stress. The hardest part of the job is that unlike other fast food restaurants Dairy Queen only has 1 cook in the kitchen during each shift.
Fast pace, hectic work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ILJune 11, 2012
Typical fast food position, i learned how to prepare and make ice cream. The management was great got along with all my managers. I got along with all my co worker, they all had a great sense of humor. There were no hard parts of the job. What i did enjoy about the job was i was always kept buy and working i was never bored.
Pros
received many hours
Cons
schedule never changed, working til 10pm
Productive and fun work place
Shift leader (Current Employee) –  Lynnwood, WANovember 2, 2015
Fun and easy-going work environment with supportive management. Very small staff, so co-workers are respected and friendly towards one another. The hardest part of the job is when co-workers are off task and as a shift leader it is frustrating to continually ask them to stay on task. The best part of the job is the support given by the co-workers and management, the customer experience and the time management quality it has taught me.
Fun and Fast Paced
Manager (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEOctober 11, 2013
I loved working in management at Dairy Queen. Everyday presented a new challenge and it was a lot of fun. The atmosphere was awesome and the store(s) had great ownership (27th & I-80; 84th & Hwy 2; 14th & Old Cheney). Definitely recommend this job for someone wanting to have some fun at work.
Good first job.
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Birch Run, MIAugust 24, 2015
This job is excellent for a first job. It was my first job, and I have remained here for nearly 4 years. The co-workers and managers there are all wonderful people, who make every day being there enjoyable.
Though it's rare, it is possible to get small raises and position advancements are slim to none.
Productive, high energy workplace, sometimes stressfull, highly customer-based
Shift Leader; Cashier (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJanuary 10, 2015
While a great starting job, and a great part-time job, working as a shift leader at the restaurant was not my life-goal. The job has been great for three and a half years, but now that I have a degree it is probably time I moved on.
Repetitive, fast paced, normal fast food job
Crew member (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILAugust 30, 2015
It isn't a bad job. It just gets to the point of making the same food everyday multiple times a day. Prepping the same things over every day you come in. It gets fast paced and stressful around lunch then slow and boring most of the time afterwards. It's a normal fast food job, either you like it or you don't.