Dairy Queen Employee Reviews

Found 4,106 reviews matching the search
Great place to work with good team.
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Carthage, ILMarch 16, 2017
Dairy Queen has been very good to me. I've enjoyed my time working here and have gotten to know the owner of this specific branch very well. His management style is great and the workplace culture is fun and easy to fit in with. The hardest part of the job is the days that we are busiest, but it's that way with any job. The most enjoyable part of the job is working together in a team with my fellow employees and the great feedback we get from satisfied customers. I have learned many things about managing others as I advanced to the shift leader position and I have learned more about my own work ethic from being here as many years as I have. It's a great place to work!
Pros
50% off meals during shifts, great co-workers
Cons
No benefits (part-time worker), busy hours
Great First Job
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Canton, OHFebruary 28, 2017
I worked at Dairy Queen for 3 years and made my way up quickly to Assistant Manager. A typical day at Dairy Queen for me was supervising crew members and making sure all daily duties are fulfilled. You have to be able to multitask and work quickly, while maintaining a happy and clean work environment. I learned a lot while being apart of this company such as cleaning skill, time management, handling money, and interacting with customers. The hardest part of this job was working alone on busy week nights, when we would make over daily goal. The most enjoyable part of my job was making customers happy with my services, and the friendships I made with fellow employees.
Pros
Free Icecream and smoothies
Cons
No benifits, or raises
An okay place to work with limited opportunities for advancement
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Liberty, MOOctober 12, 2016
Every day at work was almost always the same. I usually had limited or no help at all with some of the job's closing responsibilities, and that typically meant I would get off late. The management staff was normally alright, but occasionally they had a tendency to hover over employees who were performing minor tasks, and that made the job feel a little micromanaged. The most difficult part of the job was closing the restaurant and performing all of the cleaning duties. The most enjoyable part of the job was joking around with some of the other employees.
Pros
Good work/life balance, limited commitment
Cons
Short breaks, no benefits, mundane work, limited chances for advancement
Fun and family like work style.
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Gig Harbor, WANovember 13, 2016
Team work is always expected at any DQ. Communication and respect come hand in hand when running a good crew. Dairy Queen takes pride in meeting great expectations of any and all walks of customers. I've learned amazing people skills, and management skills during my time at DQ. I've been treated like family and encouraged daily to make a bigger step towards the future. Dairy Queen has helped shape me into the manager, employee, friend, and person I am today. I've learned how to communicate with employees as a boss instead of a just a friend, which has been the hardest part of moving from an employee to a manager. But when you show you respect someone and have a good way of communicating it isn't so hard to show a little discipline.
Pros
Free manager lunches, Free beverages, Great schedule flexibility
Cons
No benefits, very small increase in pay raise, no paid time off.
Fun exhilarating experience
Crew (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZNovember 15, 2016
Super fast paced, the employees are fun sometimes immature. Learned great customer services skills and basic line preparation.
Management depended was dependent on supervisor, two of the three where focused one more so than the other. Oversight of supervisors was done somewhat well, internal advancement could have been more focused on and supervisor meetings could have been organized. Hardest part of the job was finding something to do in off times, and most enjoyable was the look on peoples faces when we flipped their Ice cream.
Pros
50% off when working, 25% family and when not working
Cons
management could be improved, minimum pay and benefits
Hostile environment and nepotism
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Delphi, INFebruary 22, 2017
Most higher up management sit in the office and will not listen to any concerns or comments. It used to be such a nice place to work for; it was like a family. It used to be one of the best places to work in my community and I hope eventually they can bring that back.
Pros
Free lunches only for managers, 50% off for other employees, and flexible schedule
Cons
Short breaks, nepotism, lack of raises, favoritism, and lack of acknowledgment
Fun place to work, very easy. However management is not that great.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEFebruary 10, 2017
A typical working day is not that busy, usually a lot of down time. During the slow times, you have to restock and clean and complete any necessary tasks for the day. While working there I had learned how to operate a cash register, enhanced my cash handling experience, and acquired customer service/sales skills. The hardest part of the job is when it's busy and you have to remember the faces that go with the order so that you don't make a mistake. Overall, I had enjoyed working there. I liked some of the employees and the customers were great.
Pros
Free food/ice cream, very fun and relaxed environment
Cons
Not a lot of advancement opportunities. Management was poor, they weren't really involved in the work and they didn't try to solve problems efficiently.
Great coworkers with management that cares about you personally.
Cashier, Cook, Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Bessemer, MIMarch 5, 2017
I started at the Bessemer Dairy Queen in April, 2010 when I was a sophomore in high school. The coworkers I have had the chance to work with have nearly always been a pleasure. Everyone knows what they are supposed to be doing and are willing to work as a team. I have always been welcomed back during breaks throughout my college career and was welcomed back after I graduated. The current owners who are about to retire and pass the baton are supporting me while I am searching for my career. I will always be grateful for the work ethic instilled in me and the family I have gained through working at the Bessemer Dairy Queen.
Pros
Always willing to work with tough schedules, great pay, friends, great management
Really easy job, management/owner are terrible
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Rochester, WAFebruary 2, 2017
This job is really easy and repetitive.
You're constantly being yelled at to clean even when everything is clean. Customers are usually great but the employees are full of drama and management never does anything about it. There is never any constructive feedback on anything you're doing. Managers like to pick favorites and do not treat employees fairly.
The only time you see the owner is if someone messes up and is about to get fired. He has no relationship with his employees and really doesn't even know what he's doing in terms of being a leader. Advancement is easy but that's because of the high turnover rate, but don't expect to get any training.
The best thing about this job is being able to connect and make friends (but often leads to drama anyways).
Pros
50% off when you're working
Cons
Poor management, no training, drama, low hours, favoritism
Fun work place with some coworkers but management, other coworkers, and pay was poor
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  MNDecember 10, 2016
Management was very poor and did very little to resolve conflicts and issues with employees, as well as allowing employees to be lazy during busy hours and not telling them anything due to sitting in the manager's office with the door closed for hours. Payment was poor with no advances and there was no understanding when it came to not being able to come to work some days.
Pros
Free arctic rushes
Cons
No raises, poor management
Fun place to be with busy hours at certain times and not busy at others
Ice Cream Server (Former Employee) –  Garden City, MIJanuary 15, 2017
Overall I would say this place is a great place to work, however the management was not the best. When the new owner bought the place the cleanliness started to go down, she tried to control everything and did not allow her employees to do anything on their own. I learned how to work with the cash register, operate a point of sale system and work with my coworkers. The hardest part of the job was staying late after the store closed because the restaurant got busy and we had to close later than our store hours. The most enjoyable part was being with my coworkers, I absolutely loved my coworkers even though the owner tried to control everything.
Pros
Free Ice Cream
Cons
Long Hours with only one break, small work space when crowded
Poor management and poor work ethic
SHIFT LEADER (Former Employee) –  Parker, COJanuary 5, 2017
A typical day at work would be clocking in, cleaning up after the closing shift from the previous night, being the only person up front while everyone else sits in the kitchen on their phones, getting yelled at by the manager and blamed for their mistakes, and leaving my shift stressed and frustrated. Management was terrible. They sat in the office doing nothing all day. Co-workers didn't care about their jobs and spent most of their shift talking and texting on their phone. The hardest part was learning how to stay patient with my coworkers and not let my bad mood show while serving the customers. The most enjoyable part was making the products and making the customer happy.
Pros
Gained experience in food and customer service
Cons
Low hourly wages, no opportunity for promotion
Fluctuating Work Atmosphere and Experience
Crew Member/Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Macon, MOMarch 17, 2017
Although DQ provides its employees with a manageable and easily securable job, it is flawed as all jobs are. Hours fluctuate, management differs on their level of capacity, and most workers dread walking through the doors to start a shift. Work hard there, and you will be noticed and rewarded, but those rewards take forever to be given or implemented. From a worker who was employed there for almost a year since a store's grand opening, it is not the most enjoyable or fulfilling place to work.
Pros
Mostly friendly staff, 25% discount on food, free training seminars for skills beyond the DQ environment
Cons
Racism, homophobia, tolerated bullying and misconduct
No appreciation for workers
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Jefferson, GASeptember 21, 2016
Instead of promoting based on merit, they promoted based on closeness to upper management. They did not offer benefits though I worked full-time and paid me minimum wage despite my being there for three years with no pay increase; there was no incentive to work hard other than to not be humiliated in front of other employees. They allowed their management team to power trip (for example, a 16 year old manager demanded I call him "sir" despite me being three years older than him and I got in trouble when I refused) and they turned a blind eye to "initiation" rituals that included, but wasn't limited to, humiliation, degradation, and condescension.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Pretty much everything else
Paid the Bills
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, ILFebruary 3, 2017
A typical day consisted of working while pregnant in slip proof shoes lifting boxes I was given a restriction from without much help if needed. Doing both front and back line. I learned that sometimes it is easier to just push through the day and remember that time does pass. The management was hardly ever there but did work with us when they were unless they were not in a decent mood. The hardest part of the job was trying not to slip on water and oil mixed from the ceiling leaking. The most enjoyable part of the day was being able to spend time with the other individual that opened with me once I was put on days.
Pros
Breaks on time, Overtime available
Cons
No advancement, not enough pay
Fast Paced Introduction to work life
Shift Manager/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mauriceville, TXDecember 19, 2016
Typical day was generally fast-paced, consisting mostly of assuring each employee did as they were trained and maintaining customer satisfaction.

Allowed me to gain my first bit of work experience, a good work ethic, and loyalty to whichever companies i work for.

Management was mostly friendly and helpful.

Co workers changed often, but were generally pleasant and helpful, very young as expected in entry-level jobs.

Most difficult part of the job would be training new employees, who were often nervous as expected, as well as handling some customer complaints.

I enjoyed the customers the most, they were as pleasant as you were to them, and this led to many conversations and good company-consumer relationships.
Pros
Discount Meals, Easy Work
Cons
15 Minute breaks, No Benefits, Extremely difficult to advance
Busy organized workplace, but could get stressful.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSMarch 16, 2017
On a typical day at dairy queen I would clean up after people, and constantly be switching from working the windows to making the treats to stocking the food. I learning how to work fast, and make ice cream treats. The management didn't have good control over the workers, so usually one person would get stuck doing most of the work with the customers. The hardest part about working there was that it was very difficult to get people to help you if it got really busy. The best part of the job was that it was always organized and it made it easy to get the job done fast.
Pros
free iecream
Cons
not great pay, no benefits, not many hours to work
Could be a lot better
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCMarch 26, 2017
Working at my DQ has its' ups & downs. I actually love working at DQ it's not a hard job whatsoever, it's just that I feel like we don't get treated like we should, or appreciated for the work we do. A typical day may include dealing with customers that have attitudes for no reason, making ice cream, Orange Julius products &/or food. The hardest part would be that we work so hard but don't get praised for it, and stuff that goes wrong that we can't control we get in trouble for it. I would say that most enjoyable part of my job is the bond that I have with some of my employees, we're like a big family.
Pros
Free Lunches, Discounts
Cons
No breaks, low pay
Good highschool part-time job
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Chetek, WIJanuary 4, 2017
Currently, I still work at the Dairy Queen as a Shift Leader. I am still making $9 an hour when it should be more. Coworkers told me I should give management an ultimatum of not taking the shifts unless I get paid more, but I no longer will be working here anyways. Surveillance is a big thing, management is constantly watching your every move on the cameras so you have to be careful and tedious on doing what you should be doing. Also, everyone is replaceable, it doesn't matter how long you have been employed there. Keep in mind, you work for customers' satisfaction, and winning that can be harder than you think. I have been cussed at and screamed at through the drive-thru window while taking an order, it can get stressful. Another thing to keep in mind is that the employees that work in the front area of the store will take all complaints and concerns, which ranges from the cook's flaws, cake-decorater's mistakes, management, or even the prices for product. It's a good highschool part-time job, for a while, at least.
Pros
50% off products, excluding cakes. 15-minute break each shift. Friendly workers and environment.
Cons
No benefits, compensation, or incentives, feeling of being watched constantly is creepy, wasn't getting paid as a shift-leader, raises are limited and take a while
New change in management.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newburgh, INDecember 17, 2016
You have a list of chores you have to do every day and you can not leave until they have been completed. So get it done early so you do not have to stay until after hours. Some people of management were great but there were a few that made work harder then it needed to be and were plain rude to their employees. Again with this job being when I was in high school I was surrounded by high school leveled co-workers as well and they liked to bring their personal drama into the work place. The hardest part of this job was dealing with the management and the best part was getting all of the work done and leaving at a reasonable time.
Pros
50% discount while on break/lunch and free drinks
Cons
Only one break.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dairy Queen. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7