Dakota County Technical College Employee Reviews in United States

Learned more here than anywhere probably!
Student IT Worker and IT Tutoring (Former Employee) –  Rosemount, MNJanuary 27, 2015
I pretty much managed the entire IT Classrooms network, servers, data backup, etc since it was completely separate from the schools main network, servers, firewalls, backups, etc. IT had to have everything there own so it could be unrestricted for Labs. I still had quite a few of my own restrictions I set so students could not mess things up! Like ALL the PC's were re-imaged every night via the network! I did this because we had little restriction for classes so many of the PC's would get messed up one way or another so it was just easier to have them re-imaged every night! I also did all the PC troubleshooting and repairs for the IT department. I was fortunate enough to be there when they were adding a new lab so the Networking IV teacher and I built an entire computer lab with 30 PC's. We did EVERYTHING by ourselves. We laid all the cable, configured all the PC's, configured Server 2008 (for DNS, DHCP, some client mangement, etc.), configured NAS for student data and image backups, set up 4 cisco routers and 12 switches (only 1 router and 1 switch were used for the actual main set up, the others were for student labs and practicing Cisco CLI), installed all the PC's, and updated them via push updates from server. I think that is all, LOL!
Pros
i learned more here about networks, security, servers, and much much more than i ever have anywhere else i think!
Cons
horrible wage and only part time with no advancement or benefits!
Good place for part-time and temporary work
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Rosemount, MNNovember 19, 2015
This was a temporary position filling in for the permanent employee who was out on leave. The responsibilities included using my existing knowledge to complete the tasks and learning new items as well.
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Rosemount, MNJuly 5, 2015
The staff is supportive and very knowledgeable. A great team to work with. I am allowed to work unimpeded, run the program with out much input from management. Management is easy to visit with if there is a concern or a need.
Pros
I look forward to class days
Cons
part time
Great learning experience
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Rosemount, MNDecember 29, 2013
A typical day at work involved filing & scanning documents. I learned how to gather required paperwork for accounts payable. The management person was fired soon after I started, I really didn't have a manager after that. The co-workers didn't interact much, but, I was only a part-time worker. The hardest part of the job was fitting in the work schedule with my study schedule. The most enjoyable part of the job was the learning experience.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
not much direction or leadership
good management
Assistant Admission Director (Former Employee) –  RosemounthOctober 17, 2013
• Assistance to office workers and students
• Maintained the records and filling systems
• Data entry
• Tracked application documents, enrolling documents.
• Lead campus tour
• Prepared transfer files
• Provided management services and design cost control programs.
• Maintained a database of inventory and produce correspondence for mailing, and read forward mail to the correct department
• Keep project on schedule
• Maintain procedures manual to ensure consistent performance of routines
• Coordinate work flow
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Dedicated group of instructors
Instructor, Biomedical Equipment Technology (Former Employee) –  Rosemount, MNMarch 25, 2012
Faculty is outstanding and very supportive. The environment is focused on student success and helping instructors achieve that goal. Faculty is encouraged to stay current with technical knowledge and teaching methods. The hardest part of the job is helping students deal with life challenges that impede their learning. The best part of the job is at graduation seeing the joy and pride in the students and their families.
Tutoring
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Rosemount, MNDecember 2, 2012
I basically came in, helped other students try and understand the course material, or just had the room open so that they could come in and work outside of regular class hours.
Pros
able to set my own hours
Cons
not a long-term thing
Amazing people to work with & great atmosphere
Graphic Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rosemount, MNSeptember 8, 2012
The people I work with at DCTC are incredible. Everyone is so friendly, talented, skilled and motivated.