Dakota Watch Company Employee Reviews in United States

No consideration for employees, prejudice of religion
Customer service and watch repair (Former Employee) –  Strongsville, OHJanuary 2, 2016
The employers have bad attitudes, won't help employees when having trouble, both management and assistant managers are prejudice of religious beliefs
Pros
Cons
see above
Fun part time gig
Sales Associate and Repair Associate (Current Employee) –  East Amherst, NYJune 5, 2015
Over all a good job, not hard to do, its a plus if you actually like watches. You get to learn all the watch repair basics. My district manager was really cool, along with most of the local managers. Co-workers are few and far between, being in one of the slowest malls in the area, but all i worked with were a good fit and good to talk to. The worst part of the job, is having hours of down time to yourself or on longer hr shifts when its dead, being in a kiosk theirs only so much you can clean and organize. The best part of it was working on watches for me, was a pre-hobby before i started.
Pros
flexible hours, east job
Cons
boring at times
Great Customer Service place to work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Mishawaka, INJuly 14, 2015
Overall working at Dakota Watch Co. has been a great experience, working with the customers, and feeling like you helped them with their needs.
Associates can be a little difficult with multiple work schedules, but we work it out.
Pros
Talking with all the customers
Cons
Slow traffic days
great place to work especially if yo like watches
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Henrietta,NYJune 15, 2015
great place to work for a watch fiend like i am, management was great, a family fun company since 1945 thats why compensation was rated so low.
Pros
great place to work, decen discounts
Cons
no lunch breaks, low compensation for management, no room for advancement without relocation
Fun, fast paced environment
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Williamsville, NYJuly 1, 2015
Everyone including superiors are super friendly. Due to the company being owned by the same family that started it, family values are key, and you often feel like you've made a family here.
Pros
Fun, Good People, Interesting Skills to learn
Cons
Is a Kiosk, Customers can be grumpy.
Sales
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Norridge, ILJanuary 8, 2015
You're usually by yourself at this job, but it has its perks and you get a good discount. In the mornings you open the store and put of the displays, count money, Clean up, and then wait for customers. It's a good job if you're a student, but sometimes scheduling can become a problem, because you are short staffed.
Pros
can give discounts
Cons
no room for growth, no set schedule, picky management
dakota watch
Certified watch repair and sales (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 21, 2014
I currently work seasonally for Dakota watch company, filling in for students who need time off as I attend school here in Durham. A typical day at work includes starting computer systems, counting the register, handling money, opening the store, and from there greeting each customer with the highest of priority. The most enjoyable part is showing clients exactly what they want to see. The hardest part happens to be trying to make each and every client as happy as possible.
Pros
workning in all aspects of retail
Cons
short breaks, confined space.
Fun for you and customers.
Watch Repair Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus OhioAugust 21, 2014
Dakota was a very fun place to work since you were able to play all day. The location I worked at had bins of practice watches to work on. Each day you could be working on an expensive watch all the way down to the most basic of watch but what made the job so fun was the customers. We were able to give away free repairs at times and rewarding nice customers was my favorite. I learned how to handle multiple customers at once to succeed in giving great customer service along while having a very minimal store damage percentage.
Pros
fun environment
Cons
low pay
Fun place to work
Watch Expert (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 11, 2014
My job duties included

• Clean, rinse and dry timepiece parts using solutions and ultrasonic or mechanical watch cleaning machines.
• Reassemble timepieces, replacing glass faces and batteries, before returning them to customers.
• Disassemble timepieces and inspect them for defective, worn, misaligned or rusty parts, using loupes.
• Estimate repair costs and timepiece values
• Test and replace batteries and other electronic components.
• Test timepiece accuracy and performance using meters and other electronic instruments.
• Perform regular adjustment and maintenance on timepieces, watch cases, and watch bands.

I learned that there is more to a watch then a battery. Managment was great about meeting the employees needs. Overall is was a fairly easy job.
Company with great ability to gain knowledge
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 21, 2014
Dakota Watch company is a small company that provides you with opportunity to run your business as an individual. The skills you posses is what drives your business. The management team was top notch in providing feedback and really caring about the individuals that were underneath them. It felt like a family. The most enjoyable part of my job was coming in everyday and settting into action what my business was going to do. The hardest part of my job was being in an arena that did not provide me the nessecary avenues to successfully run the business.
Pros
great leadership, great product
Cons
job security
Good Environment...For A While.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJune 20, 2014
Great training, excellent service to customers and overall, a good work environment, if you're doing your job how the higher-ups think it should be done. This was a nice place to work at. I was respected and thought of as an equal, up until our District and Regional Managers fired my Store Manager for 'low sales'. Stay away from Dakota Watch Company if you're in Michigan - they will fire you regardless of how good your job performance is. The DM & RM for my store have told me blatant lies about how our store (a kiosk) was doing, and when I found out, I was let go a month and a half later. Please do yourself a favor and work for another company before you work for any Dakota Watch Company in Michigan.
Pros
good discount on watches, my original manager
Cons
no breaks, co-workers, regional manager
dead end job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PAJanuary 3, 2014
Maintained and managed the kiosk location
Utilized skills to promote sales though effective display maintenance.
Performed routine legwork to build solid relationships with other merchants and mall officials.
Enforced loss prevention practices that coordinated with company policies.
Conducted detailed associate training, utilizing the training manual in conjunction with the company manual to ensure quality training.
Conducted associate recruiting, interviewing and hiring.
Maintained store appearance keeping the store clean and appealing.
good work place inside kiosk
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Media, PAJanuary 6, 2014
a typical day at work would be waiting for someone to be helped. i learned how to change the battery to a watch and how to fix or replace a band to the watch also. i would usually be alone during my shift there was rarley two people working at the same time unless there was a shift change the hardest part about the job would be working on someof the batteries and trying to put the back on certain watches. the most enjoyable part about the job was watching the customer leave happy and telling me how fast i completed the job.
Amazing coworkers and management!
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 11, 2013
I would work here anytime, all the time! This has been one of my favorite jobs so far. I learned how to take a part watches and how to fix each piece. I met a number of interesting people, customers and coworkers, who all had a different story. Sometimes it was very frustrating when customers could not make up their minds or were very angry we had something out of stock, but I've learned to take it with a grain of salt.
Pros
great atmosphere, caring employers, awesome customers
Cons
terrible pay, not enough hours, no insurance
fun job that can lose its appeal
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 12, 2013
A typical day at work you're dealing with customers, whether in person or over the phone, repairing watches, doing battery changes in watches, and selling products. My co-workers once they were properly trained were a blast to work with. The hardest part of the job was working such random hours with no flexibility around what hours the manager wanted to work; very limited opportunity for advancement and very limited opportunity for a pay raise. In 3 years and 9 months, my pay only increased $1/hour.
Pros
fun
Cons
low pay, inflexible scheduling, expensive/low coverage health care
Good place to learn specialized skills
Manager In Training (Current Employee) –  Canton, OHApril 23, 2012
Working for Dakota watch company has given me alot of knowledge in the fields of management. I have learned about goals and payroll and scheduling and now I have the skills for further advancement. Dakota Watch being customer service based give one the chance to get to know lots of people and give you the oppertunity to handle meny different situations. The co workers depending on the area you are in can be like a family.
Pros
flexiblity
Cons
no breaks, working alone for 8 hrs
Great place to work, job got mundane @ times
Store Manager & Assistant to Regional Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Robinson Township, PASeptember 28, 2012
A typical day @ work is talking to customers (suggestive selling etc.). Handling paperwork for the store & home office. Calling customers with estimates on products they're having repaired. Repairing watches (battery and band replacements etc)

Staying constantly busy, Learning selling points of NEW Products while maintaining the stores valuable reputation.
Pros
advancement
Cons
nowhere left to advance with company
Not a horrible place to work
Assistant Manager/Interim Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, NYFebruary 19, 2013
A great and fun place to work if you have the right district manager . . . not all of them are created equal . . . spent a year there as management and our management team turned around sales in our store, then we got a new district manager who insisted on changing unnecessary things and deviating from corporate guidelines, after butting heads with the new district manager for 3 months while outperforming her store on a consistent basis, the old store manager resigned. after 3 more months I too resigned.
Pros
50% off 4 watches a year
Cons
short breaks expensive healthcare
Hands on
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  marketplace and greece mallApril 28, 2013
come in count draws get store ready for the day. she customer product sales watchs fixs bands and replacy batteries. I've learned to strive harder for better than where i was working at b/c i new this job will not support my son. managment was ok but often confused. co-workers were not getting along as a team. hardest part was getting more hours to work. most enjoyable was working alone in a comforatble atmostphere
Pros
food cort was down the hall and mall discounts
Cons
no break unfair hours, no raise
Fun job if you can handle the kiosk
Sales and Repair Associate (Current Employee) –  Elyria, OHJanuary 12, 2013
The job requires a lot of hand eye coordination. There is a lot of repairing and as long as you work at an up beat mall you won't get bored. If you don't, like me, you find yourself spending countless hours circling the kiosk thinking of things to clean. Most of the customers are always lookers and never buy anything. Expect to be like a janitor until Christmas.

2.6