Dallas County Community College District

Dallas County Community College District Employer Reviews

I've been here longer than I planned but I can't complain, it's been a joy!
District Coordinator of Curriculum Management (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 23, 2014
I can honestly say I don't go home stressed out at all. Every supervisor I've had has always been supportive when it comes to balancing work and family. This is the best part for me.
Education and training is adquate.
District Accounting Specialist/Supervisor (Current Employee), Mesquite, TXMay 28, 2014
Pros: paid day offs: in addition to the national holidays, we get one week between x-mass and new year, one week during spring break, and healthcare.
Cons: pay is not attractive.
A typical day at work was meeting deadlines when someone else information affects my reports. Accounting is a team work although the reporting part is more of independent. I learned a lesson not to wait to the last minute to gather information ahead of time. A lessen will have to be learned from each incident. Besides, Great communication skills and ability to work with people of different backgrounds is the key to efficiency and effectiveness.

I love the management at my current job. They appreciate independent work where I can manage my area of responsibility accordingly. Also, they couch and give directions to employees. Co-workers are more of a family. Most of them have been with the district for many years (5 to 45 years). Every year we celebrate employee’s recognitions day and there are many activities where we all are encourage participating.

Coming from a public accounting firm, one of the good things that I learned in this work place is government accounting which was not fun for me while in school. It gave me the opportunity to catch up with myself. Besides, there is no much routine in my current position. I learn new skills every day that I enjoy most.

The most enjoyable part of the job is also the hardest part of the job that is the no routine. Working with internal and external agencies, and reconciling various accounts with deadlines is the fun and hardest part of the job. There is a high level of expectation that requires me to work diligently in a professional and timely manner. I am ready for a new challenge since there is no much room for improvement or to move up.
Student/customer service oriented (TERRIFIC!)
Content Training Specialist (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMay 13, 2014
Dallas County Community College District is a great organization to work for especially if you enjoy helping others create goals and excel in new endeavors. The priority with DCCCD is hiring individuals that provide meaningful work and possess the ability to have a positive impact on each individual student. The hardest yet most fulfilling part of the job by far was helping individuals succeed that were either struggling with personal problems that they found difficult to overcome and/or allowed to get in the way of their academics.
It was a good experience for the first 8 years and then when I took the higher level position, my job satisfaction diminished.
District Director Organizational Development (Former Employee), Dallas, TXFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: educational environment. many opportunities to gain knowledge and information.
Cons: gossipy, polarized culture. no protection for administrators.
This could be a great place to work. There are plenty of opportunities to gain knowledge, grow and development as a worker. The work was interesting and provided great challenges. I loved this position!

My most difficult challenge was getting on the same page with my superiors. I had five supervisors in four years. Communication was very difficult and usually non existent.

Employees at the Professional Staff level seem to fair much better as they are non exempt and a process must be followed before termination can occur. Administrators are not so lucky. They can be terminated at will at the discretion of their supervisor. Leadership within this organization during the time I was employed, was deplorable.
Productive and kind
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Dallas, TXNovember 13, 2013
Nice people. Willing to help you or direct you to someone who can.
Fun while at work
Student Services Specialist (Former Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 26, 2013
Great place to work and impact future generations of students!
Great opportunity for part-time evening work to supplement full-time day position in school counseling.
Counselor/Academic Advisor (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 9, 2013
Pros: professional environment working with a variety of kinds of people.
Cons: pay scale was appropriate for the part-time positions, however, was not enough to lead me to consider this opportunity at length.
Offered wide and varied opportunities from academic advising to registration and advising of students whose first language was not English.

Wonderful experience teaching students whose first language was not English for Continuing Education Credit.

The building facilities were new and enviting. One summer I was hired as a professional counselor (LPC) to do student counseling, that was very rewarding to me and I feel beneficial to students.
Great organization
Employment Counselor (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 8, 2013
Awesome opportunity to help students determine there education and employment goals along with helping graduates find career opportunities
Not a horrible place to work, overall pretty good environment
College FA Advisor/ FA Call Center Agent (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJune 24, 2013
Pros: good place to work if you have a family
Cons: no job security
Overall, it is a good place to work, it allows you to meet different people and even cross train thoughout different departments in student services.
tutor
Tutor II (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMay 20, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: monthly pay
Very relaxed environment not to bad. Make your own schedule. Has alot of benefits
Not a good place to work unless you're just desperate for a job
Communications (Former Employee), Cedar Valley CollegeOctober 3, 2012
Pros: a few nice people
Cons: promotion based on who you know, very low pay
I would not recommend anyone work for the DCCCD, unless you are best friends with the Chancellor or have high level contacts. Many promotions and appointments are made directly, bypassing the District's own hiring policies (as favors to people they know). I saw it happen many times, which is why I left. The people at the bottom do most of the work and make little money; people at the top do very little and make unbelievable amounts of money.

November 5, 2012

Avoid DCCCD if possible especially Brookhaven.

A learning experience
Teacher, El Centro College (Former Employee), Dallas, TXSeptember 4, 2012
Pros: student learning
Cons: many students don't have homes.
A typical day would involve helping students learn, preparing for the next day or training in the afternoon. Teachers were allowed to work independently and organize lessons to meet student needs.
A good school, good teachers and great programs.
Student (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMay 23, 2012
Pros: grand, awesome, informative, networking, meeting people, working with a diverse group of people, exhilarating, knowlege, power.
Cons: expensive materials, the last day of class, won't see the people i'd learned, grown with in class, miss the power of learning, miss the challenge, miss the feeling of progress.
I returned to school to advance my career and to enhance me and my family lives. I received and ingested alot of valuable information. I enjoyed learning and growing with people from all walks of life. The difficult part was balancing school with work and family, but I did it. The joy was in the power/reward of receiving good grades from studying and completion of the semester.
Great place to work.
Writing tutor (Current Employee), Dallas, TexasFebruary 27, 2012
The college I work for is filled with helpful, professional, friendly people. Overall, this is one of the best jobs I've ever had.