Dallas County Sheriff's Department

Dallas County Sheriff's Department Employer Reviews

Fast paced and strenuous workplace
Detention Service Officer (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 27, 2014
• To provide care, custody and control over all inmates
• To keep an accurate count of all inmates at all times
• Conduct surveillance throughout various areas of the facility
• To maintain a secure environment while interacting with the general public
• Assisting in public relations
• Report generation
n/a
Clerk-6 North Tower/Captain's Secretary (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJune 9, 2014
old job moved on to another to pursue other options. great experience.
Working with a different dynamic of people
Detention Service Officer (Former Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 30, 2013
A typical day would be ensuring the care custody and control of the inmates. I learned how to talk to different people and different cultures. Management was good and fair most of the time. The hardest part of the job was the mandatory over time working 56 plus hours a week with little sleep. The most enjoyable part was going home safely.
A county jail.
Detention Service Officer (Current Employee), Dallas, TXDecember 13, 2012
I work overnight. Ithought the inmates would be sleep overnight but they dont. The hardest part about my job is restraining an inmate. my coworkers are awesome. They will help in any kind of a way. I like that I can rely on my coworkers when I'm not able to complete the job.
The department lacks leadership. The morale is horrible and employee's lack motivation.
Deputy Sheriff/Internal Affairs Detective (Current Employee), Dallas, TexasSeptember 21, 2012
Pros: the pros are job security within the law enforcement field.
Cons: the pay is 40 percent below other law enforcement agencies in the surrounding areas.
I am a Internal Affairs detective, within my division there's only four detectives for over 3,000 employees. Within my section all the detectives are overworked with a high case load. The climate in my office is "cold," detectives seldom communicate among each other. The hardest part of my job is sorting through legitimate employee misconduct and poor supervisory management, and good people skills and questioning why supervisors fail to supervise subordinates rather than referring the employee to Internal Affairs for the detective to decide their discipline when the supervisor has the discretion on most departmental violations.
The Stability and benefits were great!
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 30, 2012
Pros: stability, benefits, pto
Typical work day was routine with some excitement in the Central Intake department: there was never a dull moment during bookin procedures! I learned a great deal about the inner workings of law enforcement as it related to communication and document retrieval. Management expectations were high but yet they were approachable. Most of my coworkers were nice. The hardest part of the job was the repetitive nature of the job itself. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to cross train on different stations as the opportunities arose.
Great benefits
Detention Officer (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMay 15, 2012
A good source of security financially, however can be draining physically and mentally.