Dallas County Sheriff Department Employee Reviews

detention position
Detention Officer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 31, 2016
Productive, fun place to work and competitive benefits. understands business fundamentals within business sector assigned team supports and ensures development standards are maintained and best practices in development are demonstrated.
A community service envioronment
DSO (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 5, 2016
I served the community with dignity and compassion.
I enjoyed taking many educational classes. I presently work at the medical unit, where I escort the nurses and doctors to interview the inmates/ patients. I make sure that the jail security is maintained.
Productive work environment
Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 7, 2016
I learned to be patient when dealing with inmates. This company was unprofessional, with many unprofessional supervisors.
Pros
Pay was good
Cons
Professionalism wasn't adequate
Sad Place
Detention Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 13, 2016
Sheriffs Department does not keep up with the cost of living. Plus for the dangerous work that we do, some sort of hazzard pay should be received each month. The management in one of the jails is horrific. Never seen anyone that come to work to make others around them as miserable as they are.
Pros
Make good friends
Great Learning experience
Detention Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 30, 2015
Great place to learn people, and interpersonal skills, and great for someone seeking to enter the criminal justice field.
Diverse company with friendly employees and many job opportunities
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 1, 2015
A typical day at work is usually fast paced and there's always something to keep you occupied. I learned the process of entering, receiving, locating and processing warrants. Management is very professional and helpful when needed. Employees for the most part are friendly and are good team members. The hardest part of my job is taking on two desks at one time which to an extent I enjoy because I love keeping busy. The most enjoyable part of my job is greeting and assisting officers with warrants and interacting with employees in positive ways.
Detention Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXNovember 2, 2015
A typical day was to count on something interesting happening. I learned to pay attention to detail. The hardest part was working at night and sleeping in the day.
Pros
i had a job
Cons
working around inmates
Unorganized and unprofessional
Detention Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 22, 2015
I work at night so a typical day at for me consist of me clocking in at 10pm everyday, we have a meeting each night with we call (detail) where we are given our assignments for the day and discuss any new information concerning the jail. The inmates have to been locked down in their cells by 12am, so within those 2 hours from the time I get there we have to conduct a count to make sure everyone is accounted , pass out razors, make sure the floor is clean and pick up all mail and turn it in. Once everyone is secure for the night we are to do 30 minutes rounds to make sure everything is running ok and around 3:30am we escort the people with diabetes to the nurse to get their blood sugar checked. Feeding is conducting at 4:30, In between all of this we may have a fire drill or a shakedown.
Pros
you get to see something new happen everyday
Cons
working with criminals is dangerous and you always have to look over your back
A good place to work and learn and continue to grow in multiple positions. Benefits was great as well as job security.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 26, 2015
A good place to work, well defined in positions. One will excel in the knowledge of training in different positions. You will enjoy interacting with other employees as well as dealing with customer service and communicating effectively with law enforcements. Good benefits, as well as job security.
Productive Workplace
Assistant Foodservice Director (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 28, 2015
Each day at work can be challenging due to the over turn of trusties, howerver my staff make the appropiate adjustments in order to have a successful day
Pros
Free Meals
Cons
Inmate labor
Great Career
Detention Training Officer (Former Employee) –  Dallas TexasApril 20, 2015
Great Career,Great Advancement,Detention Facility,custody care and control of inmates. Making a difference in others life for the better.
Pros
People are Great
Cons
non
Over see Inmates
Detentions Officer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 18, 2015
The main job is to over see the day to day jail operations. They mainly revolve around inmates. Each day you have new things happen that make you change how you do things.
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Scheduling
Challenging work place
Detention Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 8, 2015
Learning about your co-workers and inmates. The hardest part of the job was being close to and touching the inmates. The most enjoyable part of the job is, hearing the stories told by employees and inmates.
The Sheriff's Department was a great stepping stone.
Detention Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 13, 2014
Personally, the Sheriff's Department helped shape me, it helped teach me how to interact with people, how to write reports, resolve conflict. At a young age I believe that was important for me.
Easy Job with difficult personalities
Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 6, 2014
The job is easy here. The pay is manageable but Ive found that the coworkers are the hardest to deal with. Most inmates are better than my coworkers.
Dallas County Sheriff Dept
Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 2, 2014
This was a very dangerous job, I learned how to write police reports. Management/co workers were very helpful. The hardest job was dealing with the inmates.
Pros
We would get long lunch breaks.
Cons
I always had the opportunity to work out before lunch.
Provides Job security and Benefits
DSO / Classification Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 12, 2014
Each work day is different dealing with inmates, co-workers and the general public
Fast paced and strenuous workplace
Detention Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 27, 2014
• To provide care, custody and control over all inmates
• To keep an accurate count of all inmates at all times
• Conduct surveillance throughout various areas of the facility
• To maintain a secure environment while interacting with the general public
• Assisting in public relations
• Report generation
Far behind the industry!
Detention Service Officer-Corrections Officer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 22, 2014
No experience pay, non-rotating shifts, females don't believe in equal work but surely want equal pay, MANY officer safety issues. Some leave officers open to civil liabilities while others leave us open to inmate suicides, escapes or physical harm. Very restrictive system. Having prior experience, I had expected the Dallas County Sheriff's Department to have a few more things in order and better defined than they do. The Detention section is one of the largest in the nation but it's still far behind the industry. Non-secure parking lots, no raises, low morale and inmates appear to have more rights and power than the officers themselves.
Pros
Steady work without layoffs, experience in the criminal justice insudtry.
Cons
Pay, raises, many safety concerns, minimal unity.
The comments are a joke
DSO (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TxJune 19, 2014
I worked there for over 4+ years. I was injured on the job and only given 45 days of fmla. They work you like a dog and fire you if you get hurt. They praises the employees that don't do their job and don't care about the ones that work hard.
Pros
Some coworkers
Cons
Pay raises, upper management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dallas County Sheriff Department. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9