Dallas County Employee Reviews in United States

Highly political environment with questionable ethics
Clinician at DCJD (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 27, 2016
I worked as a therapist within the DCJD's psychology department. Despite having minimal interaction with his subordinates, the Chief Psychologist basically makes the decisions and leaves little to no say to the various supervisors of the department. Sadly, the focus is not on quality of treatment and intervention for the benefit of the youth. Within this department politics seem to play a major role in keeping the job and which employees are written up or fired. Once fired they will work to prevent you from obtaining unemployment benefits. This has happened to several ex-employees.
Dallas County
Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 14, 2016
*Typical Work day is fast pace/Nonstop customer care weather answering the phones or customers coming in.

*I've learned patience and how to keep a pleasant spirit even when that is not necessarily extended to me. I've also learned how to work hard even when it goes unnoticed.

*Very proficient at managing my time and making sure that all tasks are completed on or before deadline given
*My co-workers are a very diverse group of women all coming from background and with very different levels of work skills and work habits.
*The hardest part of my job is working so hard for the amount of money and the lack of benefits
Pros
Very Close to home
Cons
Little money and poor benefits
Full of politics
JSO (Former Employee) –  TexasJuly 18, 2016
These people treat their employees so bad. I have never seen such treatment in my life from an employer. The higher ups that are in charge are the most shadyest people. If they don't like you you better be super careful. If your not kissing their butt or you stand up for yourself your in trouble. If they feel like you at challenging them your going to have problems. They don't care about you or what you are going through. In fact if you are going through something personal and you express your situation to them they will use it against you. They talk about their employees like crazy. They are unfair. I worked for them for quite awhile and this is by far the worst environment I've ever worked in. Co workers were OK (most were messy) but as far as upper management I've never experienced such foolery. The have their favorites and if you are not one of them...they will pick and pick until they find a reason to fire you. They are not to be trusted believe me.
Fun and very delightful.
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 20, 2016
I loved waking up every morning and knowing I was going to have the wonderful opportunity to drive intelligent and driven children to their place of learning. The idea of that job always makes me happy I love driving. But the children were a humongous bonus.
Pros
Children always brought gifts and a happy presence.
Cons
Warming bus up in extremely cold weather.
Excellent Career Opportunities
Deputy District Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 31, 2016
A typical day in the Dallas County Court System is generally a vey busy day. You are to assist the general public, attorneys, and the judge with all inquiries as well as perform your daily duties within the court.

Working for Dallas County courts has advanced my knowledge on the judicial system as it pertains to law enforcement and my current degree in Forensic Psychology.

Management in Dallas County is excellent. The training that is provided is more than informative and the work environment is one that is encouraging to all employees to set a bar of excellence and strive to be at your best.

The co-workers that I have had the pleasure to engage with are some of the most polite, respectful, and dedicated employees to be employed in Dallas County. Everyone takes their jobs seriously and maintain a healthy and friendly work environment.

The hardest part of the job is in some rare cases when you have to work alone and maintain the workflow of phones, public, judges, and do all data entry single handed.

The most enjoyable part of the job was accomplishing all of your duties entirely, the friendly and encouraging environment, and management. They all play a key role in the day of a clerk and each one was enjoyable.
Pros
Managment, Benefits, Hour Lunch breaks
Cons
some days are busier than others
Great benefits and work environment with low wages
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 23, 2015
Dallas County provides a lot of professional growth but the wages are low compared to the marketplace. The benefits will somewhat offset the low wages.
Terrible health insurance, high turnover, low morale
Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TexasJune 27, 2016
This organization has one health insurance company with two terrible options to choose from. Married couples pay 2,400 extra a year on top of almost 10k for self and family. The turnover is extremely high, especially at the health department. Almost 25% of the workforce resigned in 2015 and other employees had to still do the work for no extra pay. They use exempt employees to fill the gap so they don't have to pay overtime. Then when the work continues getting done they get the bright idea that the empty job is no longer needed since you are doing the work, but the question is what happened to the funding for the vacant job? Employees get the across the board mediocre 2% annual raise if the court approves it, but supervisors get their salaries increased from those closed positions. Professionals are treated like children. Exempt employees have to use the time clock and swipe in and out and also fill out a time sheet by hand. Don't get caught up into thinking local government is secure and stable. Your manager can come to you any day of the week and tell you your grant is not being renewed and there is nothing you'll be able to do. The funny thing is, though, they just say that to cover themselves. The program will still be there with full funding, they only say that to let people go. If you desperately need a job, go for it but if you can stick it out for something better, hold on.
Pros
Cons
Salary and benefits, healthcare, work/life balance
Exceelent Co-Worker
Public Health Educator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 25, 2016
They provided you with lots of training and information so you are able to be successful at your job. Staff is friendly and company is great.
High People Volume
SECRETARY I (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 30, 2014
While employed with Dallas County there was so much this company had to offer, if only the salary matched the position and all the duties that it entailed. Dallas County is so diverse and there was a tremendous amount of growth career wise with this company. The benefits were great and the co-workers were nice to be around. I believe we all functioned accordingly and made the office surroundings enjoyable. Supervisors/Department Managers came and went for good and bad reasons but we all managed to adjust with change. The most enjoyable part of this job was being able to relate to the public that came in on a daily basis to pay taxes. I love being around people you gain so much knowledge from them.
Pros
active with the public
To Date The Worst Job I Ever Had
Civil Division Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 12, 2016
I can into work everyday on time and I only missed one day in five months. I completed my work on time and asked for more work because frankly I was bored. That when the problems stared. I was FORCED into an argument with an neighboring employee, an argument I did not want to have and when said individual did not get their way, they threw the biggest tantrum a 60 year could ever throw. Because Dallas County refuses to punish or discipline any employee who has been there for more than a decade. The working environment is VERY hostel if you do not give the "old timers" what they want. They expect you to know things you would not otherwise know unless you have been working there for a hundred years. They play favorites like its 1951 and consider it to be an acceptable practice.

DO NOT ANGER ANYONE WITH POWER. I was repeatedly told by other employees that I should keep my head down. They will fire you period. Do not trust HR, every promise they make they will break. They are not on your side. I was told that a personal conversation that I had with someone would not be repeated to certain parties and the next thing I knew it was on a official document when I was terminated for angering the wrong person. I repeatedly asked them what part of my job did I not complete or what part of county code did I break. They danced around that subject and did not directly answer my question. They stated that I broke the part of the county code that was so broad in its interpretation almost anything could fall into it.

This is not a modern working environment. You have to bring in your own
  more... coffee and office supplies. The Health Benefits are the worst I have seen so far. Everything from the retirement plan the dental is a glorified savings account.  less
Pros
You get a paycheck
Cons
poor working environment, outdated working culture, promotions are only available when someone dies or retires.

Want to know more about Dallas County?

Ask a question
Productive, free, and fun
Data Entry Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 20, 2015
Starting my day with completing or starting any new projects. I learned how the continue process that a client goes to from court. Management and coworkers were great, reliable, and approachable. The hardest part of the job was locating clients, and the enjoyable part was the environment as a whole.
Pros
Environment
Cons
Lunch
Productive always busy
Tax Assessor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TexasSeptember 9, 2015
A typical day at work would be assisting customers on a minute to minute base being able to complete transactions for the customers. I have learned so much from customer service skills, to different software, and state information for vehicles. My management for my department was great always on top of the work, and able to communicate with employees in the right way and able to let them know that if any help was needed to never be afraid to ask. There were other managements that were not so much the same way they were always in a different department but they were over out area as well. My co-workers were very good at their job, able to function right and always a helping hand. The hardest part of the job was to be able to get noticed and able to have some management see that most of the time you are going beyond your job duties for many reasons that is the way you are and to make sure that customers wanted to come back and happy. The most enjoyable part of the job is to be able to meet new faces everyday and at the end of the visit they were able to get what they needed to get accomplished in a great matter of time.
Pros
Birthday lunch gatherings
Cons
Management not reconginzing good employees
Dallas County
Mpv Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 16, 2015
Good Company to work for, Good Management, Always there when you need help, Friendly environment, The most enjoyable time is when we have lunch, meetings
Good people, great benefits
Deputy District Clerk (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 3, 2013
The work was more or less monotonus and mundane. The opportunities for promotions were there, however, not much opportunity to make more money. The job offers all kinds of incentives to make you stay longer. Employee (clock in/clock out) mindset heavily instilled.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
poor management
A culture that includes back stabbers and hypocrites
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 5, 2012
I cannot stress how horrible it is to work for Dallas County. This is not a stab at any one person but an entire culture of a Government system that does not reward hard work. You have to know the right people to get ahead and if you don't then you are at the bottom of the heap for a long long time.
Pros
compensation, benefits
Cons
people, environment
Very serious work place with lot of security
Assistance Clerk (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 20, 2014
The Dallas County Sheriff office is a great place to work for with good benefits.
Pros
dallas county is a great place to work for
Cons
people stay in their position for very long period long time for advancement/
Overall great place to work
Executive Adminstrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 14, 2015
This company encourage grown and expect employees to apply for positions within the company. They welcome feedback with respects to making the company better.
Pros
Employee recognition
A typical day of work
Admission Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 14, 2015
This type of employment assist the employer in gaining the essential skill set that is needed to move up in employment. This is the ideal way to have a productive work environment.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Liability
Not Enough Pay
Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 13, 2015
Not enough pay , overworked, and no room for advancement. Not enough employees to divide the work. They start their pay at the bare minimum.
Good Employee Relationships
JUVENILE SUPERVISON OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 25, 2015
Great company culture! work life balance! tons of team work lots of opportunities for advancement. good environment if you like working with kids
Pros
the people
Cons
the changes

Dallas County Reviews by Location