Dallas Independent School District Employee Reviews

Administrative Assistant V (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 4, 2016
Working for the Dallas Independent School District has afforded me the experience that I now have to be able to be more productive and efficient in the workplace.
Pros
We two weeks in the Summertime, two weeks for Christmas, one week for Spring Break and there are other off days as well.
Cons
We need better and affordable healthcare benefits
Most staff is cooperative
Technical Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 1, 2016
Sometimes the work environment could be challenging, although most of the staff and management is cooperative. Management is keen on staying up-to-date with technology.
Pros
Plenty of social events
Cons
Head office building should be renovated
Has a nice break room with the microwave ovens and many chairs and tables.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 29, 2016
My typical day at work is to teach students Math, Science, Reading and Language Arts and Social Studies. I stand up the bulk of the time and I have to walk the students to lunch and to their special classes.

I have learned how to be patient and to manage my classroom well and to use my time wisely because you can get so busy that time will slip away.

All of my co-workers are not team players. They are only interested in teaching their students and they are not concerned about other children.

The hardest part of the job is classroom management. It doesn't matter how effective a teacher you are if you are not good at managing your class then you will not be able to teach effectively.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when I see that my students are learning and how they are using what I have taught them.
Pros
Free lunch and breakfast.
Cons
Health care and a nice salary.
I enjoyed working with the children
Student Internship /Homless education (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 26, 2016
I enjoyed working with the children in need.
I learned how to care for children in need of care and assistance
Management was caring and observing.
I enjoyed working with my employees
the hardest part of my job was handeling troubled children but with love and care I was able to help them in any way shape and form.
the most enjoyable part of this job was receiving the love from children
Pros
meeting different kinds of children
Teaching Perspective
SECONDARY TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 16, 2016
Teaching in an inner city school:

CONS:
- Lack of organization from top down.
- Lack of curriculum alignment design and implementation.
- Heavily focused on test scores rather than other measurements that might actually lead to college success.
- Inner City schools have a lot of turn over, specifically in Freshmen level departments.
- Could be emotionally and intellectually draining.
- Many students cannot read or write basic sentences.
- Leadership and teachers can appear stressed out.
- 90% of student do not do their homework.

PROS:
- Lots of opportunity to take leadership in many areas related to the issues as stated above.
- Fair pay when compared with what other districts pay teachers.
- Lots of opportunities on how to be creative due to the general population's lack of respect for education.
Pros
See review.
Cons
See review.
A day at work
General Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 7, 2016
This was a very good experience. The school generally flowed without incident and whenever there were issues they were handled promptly. The staff was very warm and teachers worked together fine.
Pros
good staff, community involvement
Cons
location
Secured position, ongoing training, opportunity for growth
Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 4, 2016
A typical day at work consist of teaching 7 -55 minute classes along with discipline management. What I have learned while working as a classroom teacher is that in the past two years politics have taken over the field of education. This creates the need for me to strategic implement a well-organized management plan that will ensure successful results in the classroom. I work with a large team of co-workers that make communication difficult due to the fact that it is difficult to know everyone or build a resource network. I am currently working with two new teachers first year teaches which places me in charge to complete all unfamiliar task. The hardest part of the job is not having the administrative or parental support needed to inspire students. The most enjoyable part of the job is reaching a student that appeared to be lost in his/her learning and one day the child's mindset changes.
Pros
M-F workdays, off during the summer and weekends, incentives
Cons
Minimum Administration involvement in guiding vision, expensive health insurance, paper work overload, minimum prparation time
Productive fun work environment
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 3, 2016
A typical day at work for me is planning, implementing and achieving goals on time or before. By that, I mean I like to complete my job duties in an orderly manner; have great working relationships with co-workers and management. The hardest part of the job is trying too hard to make sure I have done the best job I can do. The most enjoyable part of the job is being happy about what I do and the people I work with.
Pros
Holiday breaks
Cons
short breaks
Great place to continue learning.
Instructional Coach, Secondary (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 1, 2016
I have retired from the Dallas Independent School District. This district has given me the opportunity to learn and grow. I have loved my time with this district and my work with its teachers and students.
Pros
Good compensation, reliable, opportunity to learn
Team oriented school office
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 22, 2015
A regular day consists of payroll and Aesop reports, assisting teachers and teacher substitutes, activity funds, general funds and Title I purchase requisitions and so much more. I believe the most important thing I have learned is that to make a school office function you need team work. Our office works together to accomplish the goal at hand and that is to provide a safe and secure learning environment to our students. Also, we work hard to have an open communication with our parents and community leaders. The most enjoyable part of my job is the friendships I have developed with both office staff and parent volunteers.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
Work overload.

Want to know more about Dallas Independent School District?

Ask a question
Overall feelings
Art Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 16, 2015
Since the introduction of the TEI plan I do not feel that this is a place for me to have any career growth or advancement. My campus has no structure and I have experienced discrimination. There is a lack of professionalism, which affects school moral. Dallas ISD and my campus both are very inconsistent, and unprofessional.
Pros
Helping students
Cons
Campus has not structure
Professional Community Relations, Coordinator, Advocate, Organizer
Community Relations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dallas TXDecember 14, 2015
Working daily to bridge the gap between neighborhoods, communities,and Dallas ISD schools.

 Currently serving as the districts point of contact for community groups and external organizations, while keeping communities abreast of District initiatives, issues, and concerns.
 Developing and implementing collaborations among current and prospective community leaders, key stakeholders, and other community supporters that will result in volunteers, mentors, tutors, financial supporters, etc.
 Work cooperatively with administrators, staff, and communities in planning and developing informational programs and/or task forces as needed
 Manage and execute community meetings informing communities of district initiatives such as promoting Public School Choice, Comprehensive Plan for Programs and Facilities.
A Noble but Difficult Profession
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 25, 2015
I went into education because I wanted to try making a difference. In my (approximate) year and a half working in Dallas ISD, I know I made some kind of difference - but everything is a numbers game to anyone who isn't in the classroom. You spend so much time trying to fill out paperwork on how your students scored on this and that and the other that you feel like 24 hours isn't enough time in a day to accomplish all that along with preparing for the next day. It was not uncommon for me to be at work until 7:00 most every night just to feel like I was ready for the next day - and you can forget about never taking your work home with your overnight and on the weekends. There's no autonomy in it, really - and if something doesn't go well in your classroom or with your students' scores the fingers get pointed at you.
Pros
good pay, enjoyable if you like kids, the profession is important
Cons
way too much concern with test scores, little to no autonomy, "helicopter supervisors" who want compliance rather than commitment, continuous paperwork, continuous time constraints
Great environment for students to learn.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 12, 2015
Enjoyed working with a range of children , teachers and planning. The hardest part of the job was not building long relationships.
Pros
Preparing assignments
Cons
Short time with mentoring.
about us
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 12, 2015
I love to work hard for what I do im a people person I enjoy help other and I hope they help me to if I needed it. it is a great place to work. the people are very nice and I enjoy come to work everyday.
Pros
Cons
work out eveyday
Fast paced enviroment
School Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 10, 2015
Fast paced environment, great benefits, friendly staff, must be a multi-tasker, always meet new people, greet guest, safe environment, and clean atmosphere.
Pros
Holidays off with pay
Cons
30 mins lunch break
Very large independent school district alot of growth for career advancement.
Coord./Dropout Prevention & Recovery Dept (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 9, 2015
I really enjoyed working with DISD, I learned a lot about secondary education and how to successfully link secondary students to postsecondary education.
Pros
Holiday breaks & summers off
Cons
Healthcare wasn't the best
Free breakfasts from our vendors were always welcome and sometimes a surprise
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 9, 2015
Fun time to work with good people. Reconciling the Accounts Payable Ledger with the General Accounting Ledger was a very good challenge for me. Managers were very helpful. Jean day was fun on Fridays when we celebrated Pink days at the district.
Pros
Free breakfast from management on Fridays
Job opportunities available that can be chosen at your discretion
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 5, 2015
Dallas ISD has a very streamlined, online system for choosing openings for either part or full time assignments (including multiple day assignments). The department for substitute teachers were very easy and direct about their requirements and expectations.

As a substitute teacher, the administrators at the various schools I worked out were helpful about giving me the information I needed to be successful for a given assignment.
Fun working with children
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 1, 2015
Classroom work was lots of fun especially in my music classes; response was great with all the children especially kindergarteners,
It was great when the students started speaking
English. Music was a great learning strategy and I received great support from co-workers and parents
Pros
Field trips with students and parents
Cons
Some classes were very large