Dallas Independent School District Employee Reviews in United States

Productive, Meets student and employee needs
Registrar/Data Controller (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 20, 2016
The district provides you with an opportunity for advancement and professional growth. Encourage employees to provide a quality customer services to students, parents, officials, and district personnel. The district makes sure all employees and schools are follow safety procedures at all times.
Pros
Provides continual training to assist employees to succeed
Cons
Short breaks
Overall Great Place To Work
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 5, 2016
I work with 21 kindergarten students whom are energetic and loving. I guess you could say that they keep me on my toes. But, I love working with students of all ages. I learn from the students on a daily basis as they learn from what I teach.
Pros
Great leadership, lives close to work and friendly environment
Cons
large number students
I enjoyed working with the children
Student Internship /Homless education (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 26, 2016
I enjoyed working with the children in need.
I learned how to care for children in need of care and assistance
Management was caring and observing.
I enjoyed working with my employees
the hardest part of my job was handeling troubled children but with love and care I was able to help them in any way shape and form.
the most enjoyable part of this job was receiving the love from children
Pros
meeting different kinds of children
Productive fun work environment
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 3, 2016
A typical day at work for me is planning, implementing and achieving goals on time or before. By that, I mean I like to complete my job duties in an orderly manner; have great working relationships with co-workers and management. The hardest part of the job is trying too hard to make sure I have done the best job I can do. The most enjoyable part of the job is being happy about what I do and the people I work with.
Pros
Holiday breaks
Cons
short breaks
Administrative Assistant V (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 4, 2016
Working for the Dallas Independent School District has afforded me the experience that I now have to be able to be more productive and efficient in the workplace.
Pros
We two weeks in the Summertime, two weeks for Christmas, one week for Spring Break and there are other off days as well.
Cons
We need better and affordable healthcare benefits
Teaching Perspective
SECONDARY TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 16, 2016
Teaching in an inner city school:

CONS:
- Lack of organization from top down.
- Lack of curriculum alignment design and implementation.
- Heavily focused on test scores rather than other measurements that might actually lead to college success.
- Inner City schools have a lot of turn over, specifically in Freshmen level departments.
- Could be emotionally and intellectually draining.
- Many students cannot read or write basic sentences.
- Leadership and teachers can appear stressed out.
- 90% of student do not do their homework.

PROS:
- Lots of opportunity to take leadership in many areas related to the issues as stated above.
- Fair pay when compared with what other districts pay teachers.
- Lots of opportunities on how to be creative due to the general population's lack of respect for education.
Pros
See review.
Cons
See review.
Team oriented school office
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 22, 2015
A regular day consists of payroll and Aesop reports, assisting teachers and teacher substitutes, activity funds, general funds and Title I purchase requisitions and so much more. I believe the most important thing I have learned is that to make a school office function you need team work. Our office works together to accomplish the goal at hand and that is to provide a safe and secure learning environment to our students. Also, we work hard to have an open communication with our parents and community leaders. The most enjoyable part of my job is the friendships I have developed with both office staff and parent volunteers.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
Work overload.
it is not hard to meet your production goals
Professional Painter (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 26, 2016
it could be a fun workplace but most of it is a good place to work just the paint department is not ran fair and correct! the work is fun and enjoyable and the work looks good when finished correctly
Pros
a fair lunch break
Cons
some unfair people in management
it was a good job
cafeteria supervisor (Former Employee) –  3700 ross avenueFebruary 17, 2016
a wonderful job but it ended to soon I want to retire from this company but management did not let me I learned management skills the hardest part of my job was not being able to hire my employees in the kitchen and the most enjoyable part of my job was my employees we were like family
Pros
the people
Cons
manangement
Hard but Rewarding
6th Grade Social Studies and Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 16, 2016
This was a very difficult place to work but not always just because of the kids. It was also difficult because of management and district objectives.
Pros
Good compensation plan for teachers.
Cons
Long hours with little help with student discipline
Not What It Seems
Math and Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 7, 2016
I really enjoyed my time in Dallas. There are some great schools, and even greater people to work with in Dallas. I was able to really grow as a teacher because I had a principal that believed in keeping us in the loop.
Pros
coworkers, programs, latest technology
Cons
too much media overhyping
Dallas ISD
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oak Cliff, TXMay 9, 2016
Dallas ISD is a good solid environment with just a few bad apples who take advantage of the privilege we are given to teach the young.
Pros
Great training, great students, experienced staff
Cons
Lack of student discipline & accountability, unprofessional & bias leadership at school level
My Best Building Administrator
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 18, 2016
I was fortunate to work with very good administrators on the building level. One administrator make our job enjoyable and it made us want to work for her. It did not feel like a job because I ENJOYED
MY WORK.
Pros
TEACHER INCENTIVES FROM PRINCIPAL
Cons
the days were long.
Has a nice break room with the microwave ovens and many chairs and tables.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 29, 2016
My typical day at work is to teach students Math, Science, Reading and Language Arts and Social Studies. I stand up the bulk of the time and I have to walk the students to lunch and to their special classes.

I have learned how to be patient and to manage my classroom well and to use my time wisely because you can get so busy that time will slip away.

All of my co-workers are not team players. They are only interested in teaching their students and they are not concerned about other children.

The hardest part of the job is classroom management. It doesn't matter how effective a teacher you are if you are not good at managing your class then you will not be able to teach effectively.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when I see that my students are learning and how they are using what I have taught them.
Pros
Free lunch and breakfast.
Cons
Health care and a nice salary.
Overall feelings
Art Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 16, 2015
Since the introduction of the TEI plan I do not feel that this is a place for me to have any career growth or advancement. My campus has no structure and I have experienced discrimination. There is a lack of professionalism, which affects school moral. Dallas ISD and my campus both are very inconsistent, and unprofessional.
Pros
Helping students
Cons
Campus has not structure
Active fun place, friendly and helpful staff
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 29, 2016
I met a lot of nice people that I consider life long friends. Management entrusted to me extra duties. They gave me keys to open and close the property. Sometime I would have to work alone, but the most rewarding was interacting with the children.
management needs some improvement
Teacher - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Grades Self-contained (Former Employee) –  Arlington Park elementaryMarch 10, 2016
Love my job management was easy to let go instead of helping and improving ... really loved this job lots of changes. pros and cons with every job really enjoyed the students and coworkers learned from many
Increasingly out of touch One size doesn't fit all
Reconnect Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 19, 2016
lack of trust in professionalism of staff is grating.
increasingly non flexible and one size fits all approach is counter productive.
Pros
Making a difference
Cons
BS paperwork and non productive tasks
School district
Assistant Principal (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 6, 2016
Development/modification of student curriculum in an effort to improve academic and social growth and assisting in the development and growth of teachers.
Pros
Opportunity to help develop students and teachers
Cons
Political atmosphere
Most staff is cooperative
Technical Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 1, 2016
Sometimes the work environment could be challenging, although most of the staff and management is cooperative. Management is keen on staying up-to-date with technology.
Pros
Plenty of social events
Cons
Head office building should be renovated

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dallas Independent School District. Our community is ready to answer.