Dana Corporation Employee Reviews

ANGRY Son of Dana Retiree
Son of Dana Retiree (Former Employee) –  Richmond IndianaMarch 26, 2013
My Father retired from Dana Corp around 1999 or 2000. After working there for over 30 years, busting his A** for them almost everyday, he retired. Shortly after he was diagnosed with Cancer. He fought it for many years. BUT during that time Dana Corp decided that the same people that spent most of their lives working for them, making them millions, they would screw those same people over. To save the company money, they decided to take away what the retirees had been promised. They did away with a big portion of their retiree benefits. Including their dental and vison insurance and most importantly, they took away their LIFE INSURANCE... over 30+ years my Father broke his back for this company and to show their gratitude, they screw them out of what was rightfully theirs. My Father passed away 2 years ago this May.. No, he did not get a proper burial, all we could afford was to have him cremated.. So if you decide you want to go work for a good company that will set you up for retirement.. Dana Corp is NOT the place.. once you are done working for them they dont give a SH** about you. Infact, I will never again purchase anything made by them.. by choice.. they dont deserve my business.. they got over 30 years of my Dads life and said to hell with him once he was done. They are a heartless company. That is my review of Dana Corp.
Pros
they pay you i guess
Cons
read my review, you will see the cons.. to sum it up.. retirees get screwed over
Architectural woodworking custom/production
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, KYMarch 11, 2015
We did architectural woodworking, our main customer was Dillards. We did alot of other stores but Dillards was our main customers. We over saw the customers orders from design to installation at the job site. Not everything was the same always something different to work on whether it was a new showcase design or remolding a store. Most difficult part of the job was language barrier, we employed Bosnians, Russians, Vietnamese, Cambodian's, people from all over the world and at the same time it may have made it difficult at times but also rewarding to be able to bring that many different cultures together to work for one common cause. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact I was teaching people a skilled trade whether it was reading blueprints runnning table sawsm assemblng fixtures, laminating or painting, the people were learning a skilled trade they could take out into the real world. Hardest part was when we had to close the plant, 911 got us, work was not there after 911 and we did not have the resources to stay in business.
Pros
skilled trade and always something different to work on
Cons
i can not thing of any, most enjoyable job i have ever had
Don't waste your time with Dana Corporation
Operational Analyst (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MISeptember 16, 2014
Run like the wind if you ever get offered a job with the Dana Corporation. The plant in Auburn Hills was where I once worked. That particular plant is very poorly ran. Management there doesn't have a clue what they are doing. Management there spend the time back stabbing each other and wondering what the next person is doing instead of working together for the better cause of production. There is a major disconnect between plant management and the workers on the plant floor. I never gotten any support from management and never got any formal training for the job I was hired to do. They DO NOT offer any overtime as a salary employee and you work long hours. Management is a revolving door. If the Dana Corporation ever call you, hang up! Don't waste your time with them.
Pros
the pay was decent, great working relationship with the folks that work on the plant floor.
Cons
lack of help from plant management. lack of communication from plant management.
Dana was a very hard job that taught me a lot about running different kinds of machines, driving a fork truck, and how to work on the machines.
Factory worker (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, INSeptember 9, 2014
I enjoyed the learning experiences I received from Dana Spicer
Axle with working with machines that intimidated me at the beginning, from them being so large, but I found out they were not all that bad. I lifted parts that weighed 35 to 48 pounds several times per 8 hour shift. I learned how to spot weld and run a robotic welder, laythe machines, mills, and drill machines. We had to change our own tooling on the machines, and that was the best part of my job, learning how. The hardest part was the heavy lifting without having hoists to help. I always got along with my co-workers. There are those that no matter what, you have your differences, but we still worked well together to perform our job expectations that were required of us.
Pros
very good benefits plus a retirement.
Cons
the company closed the doors.
Hard work but what isn't??
production supervisor, liason, quality supervisor (Former Employee) –  Longview, TX - Shreveport, LAJanuary 17, 2016
Working for Dana Holding Corp was a great experience for me. I was able to advance from a product tech to management due to hard work and long hours. It's a very stressful environment and even when your away from the plant your not "off" but that is true with any job. I was given the opportunity to learn a lot about every aspect of the company. My boss ( the plant manager ) was a fantastic woman who stood behind me and believed in me. The only reason I'm not still with this company is due to GM closing the plant in Shreveport, LA. which affected a lot of vendors like Dana. I could have relocated but moving further away from my aging parents wasn't an option. As with anything in life, you get out what your willing to put in. Dana was a good part of my life!!
Pros
Advancement, benefits, pay scale and training.
Cons
You will work a lot of hours at times. On call 24/7/365
Great place to work with lots of employee incentives and fun time.
Human Resource Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYMarch 20, 2015
Worked as Human Resource Coordinator on the second shift of this factory environment. Was responsible for employee personnel files and employee issues. Assisted with insurance, vacation, sick, and other leave time and paperwork. I, along with three other HR personnel, sorted through applications, interviewed, prepared and implemented hiring classes for potential employees. Planned and managed yearly Management party. Assisted with planning and implementing yearly Christmas party and company picnic for over 500 employees. This was a great place to work with many learning experiences. The "Teamwork" environment was very strong and loved.
Pros
lots of employee incentives and fun times which made for a great work environment.
Cons
working second shift hours, 3:30 pm to midnight or later.
I type the summary in the review box.
Shipping Receiving Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIJune 3, 2013
A typical day at work would be preforming paperwork work for out going & in coming goods. Preparing ASN on the computer for Ford,Chrysler,Gm,etc. I learned how to be come self motivated in day to day operations and also multi task in more effective ways. Management could be better with it's organization, needs more work on employee & management relations with hourly workers. My co-workers are the best, we help one another get daily task done. The hardest part of the job is when your short handed. The most enjoyable part of the job is when almost everything runs smooth & orders set to be shipped out are complete.
Pros
i have a job to be present at least five days a week.
Cons
penny pench their hourly employee's, you must work lots of overtime in order to take home a nice paycheck.
Relying on legacy they failed to plan for the future
Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Maumee OHJune 22, 2012
I was hired to work on axle development, in particular I was chosen and offered a hirer rate of pay than other designers because of my proficiency in GD&T.

Unfortunately the company culture was not interested in innovation, best practices, or improvement. Dana suffered from a long history of working with a product that had not had to be very innovative, at a time when outsource manufacturing, to keep costs low, demanded improvements in drawing and other engineering spec. practices. Without sound specs. or dimensional verification practices Dana Corp. spend millions on retooling efforts.

I left 9 months after starting and two years before the bankruptcy.
Pros
work / life balance
Cons
culture & managements engagement in day to day engineering operations
Fast paced environment with great people.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYJune 24, 2014
My typical day began at 6:00 p.m. and ended at 2:30 a.m. While working there, I learned to weld, operate a fork truck, and the manufacturing process of this factory. The management was like most places, there were the people who truly cared about the employees and the company, and then the few who just wanted a bit of a raise with a little power. My co-workers were just as hard working as I had been while working there; people who wanted to do the best job possible, in the time given. The most difficult part of the job was checking the incoming raw materials for quality while unloading them from the incoming trucks in a timely and safe manner. And the most enjoyable part of the job, getting to see my co-workers everyday.
Pros
good benefits, great co-workers
Cons
a two-tier pay system
Good Job
Product Technician (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYJuly 4, 2014
Dana is a good company to work for overall. Safety and production is a priority there. Working for Dana was rough at times. There is heavy lifting, standing for long periods of time, bending and stooping. You are usually in constant motion at Dana. I learned how to M.I.G. weld and operate automated robots as well as use rivet guns. Also they taught me how to grind and rework metal. Management was sub-par, they at times seamed more interested in production and quality than you as a member of the team. It was difficult to work for them, but the benefits and pay were good. My co-workers were great and easy to work with. They worked as a team. The hardest part of the job is standing on the hard ground for long periods of time and bending over constantly. The most enjoyable part of the job was welding.
A fun fast pass environment with lots of laughs.
Quality Control Investigator (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMay 21, 2012
Review work orders, join up with a partner decided on the priority of work to be done first. Collect samples, review blueprints, measure and record values. Compare to specifications and notify operators and engineering department of conformance. I learned their is more than one way do things. There is a lot to learn from someone older and more experienced. Management was well trained and very helpful and professional. As far as co-workers there was very little turn over, which meant a highly skilled work force with quality products. The hardest part of the job was the noise from the equipment. The most enjoyable part of the job was the jokes we shared and the life we lived at work.
Pros
health benefits, vacations, pension
Cons
noisy
Very open to new projects with the correct ROI percentage.
Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Gordonsville, TNAugust 21, 2014
Daily support of plant activities from raw material to troubleshooting Fanuc Robots. Above and beyond is the workmanship with corporate with new model year products being launched. With the new launch I am allowed to investigate automation opportunities for future business and doing research on current operations for opportunities for cost savings. We tend to implement 2-3 different automation projects per year to meet next years cost savings along with new business coming in the door under best practices.
Pros
7 minutes from my house, flexible opportunities on converting old practices into automation.
Cons
staff is very weak with respect from others and direction.
Team oriented workplace with great job advancement opportunity.
Team Leader/Production worker (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOJanuary 11, 2014
Typical day at Dana was scheduling production, checking for quality and productivity Improvements. I had the opportunity to learn the 5S Lean manufacturing and Just- In - Time production.
Dana management is very supportive and team oriented. My Team Members was fun to work with and very productive. The hardest part of the job to me was controlling the uncontrollable. I.E. Down robots, machine breaks, computer malfunctions.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with management and my team members and getting the job done.
Pros
team work, safety dinners, acknowledgement dinners.
Very productive and fun
Assembly Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 28, 2012
My typical day at work working with co workers to get drive shifts out and making production for the day. What I learn about working for this company is how to build car parts for veh. I enjoyed working with my co workinger we all made to the fun and enjoyable to work and do the the job. The hardest part of the job was being able to work a head of my team and waiting on them to play catch up. The mose enjoyable thing about working here is that after a day's job I feel proud of the job that I did on making a part know on day it will be on someone car saying that could be a part that I made.
Pros
lunch
Cons
breaks and benafits was great
Lots of overtime
maint tech (Current Employee) –  auburn hills miJune 17, 2015
Dana is not a bad place to work on the production side. The pay is really good for machine operators. $18.25 for tier 2, and $21 for tier 1. It is a very easy job and you can make a lot of money if you like to work lots of overtime. The maintenance department gets blamed for a lot of things that are out of their control and the pay for maintenance techs is not very competitive for the market in our area. You top out at $23 per hr but you have a lot of skills you need to know and a lot of responsibility. Overall its not horrible but it would be better if maint techs were compensated a lot better.
Pros
Learn a lot of skills
Cons
Maint. Pay
Not a bad job, no room for advancement
machinist/Team leader (Former Employee) –  Lima, OHMarch 27, 2015
Learned team leader skills as a result of working here i was responsible for 12-14 employees at a time. Downside was had to work with a new supervisor roughly every mouth. Machines where extremely old and in a state of disrepair. Hardest part was working with new supervisors and helping them learn how to work in a team environment, they usually hired without regard to experience.
Pros
good pay, and benifets
Cons
No one seems to know what the goals are for a set time, managment passes blame to eachother in order to keep their jobs, turnover rate in management is extreamly high
keeping the plant running
Expediter (Former Employee) –  Lugoff, SCNovember 11, 2013
I Learned to work on production floor and then in the office, so I knew what they were going through.
The hardest part of the job was that I would have to work from home, making sure the parts got to production floor in time for build . If parts were flying next day or same day air...you would have to track it all night.
I enjoyed talking to people from all over the world, because the parts I'd order came from all over, sometimes with the time being deffrent you'd wake up people.
Pros
getting off for 2 weeks a year in aug.
Cons
sometimes upper management doesn't understand you as a person, only what you could do
Nice building, but not sure that's the most important thing in the company you work for...
Purchasing (Former Employee) –  Maumee, OHJuly 12, 2012
I'm not sure about Dana's sustainability as a truly innovative force in the auto industry. There has been tremendous management turnover the past several years that doesn't make sense. The private equity firm behind the scenes (Centerbridge) is very secretive and cannot be trusted. Centerbridge doesn't seem to be allowing any meaningful promotions. They always hire from outside...never a good sign. Centerbridge seems to be pushing Dana in the wrong direction.
Pros
nice building, free soda
Cons
not positioned well for the future
A highly physical job.
Factory worker (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, INJuly 31, 2014
Ran machines such as lathes, mills, robotic welders, material handled by hand and by fork truck, inspector, QS9000 inspection of parts.
I learned how to change tools for lathes, mills, drilling machines, and cnc lathes.
My co-workers and I had to work together well to produce good parts.
The hardest part of the job was the heavy lifting and working in a very dirty factory.
My most enjoyable part of the job was learning how to run different machines.
Pros
very good benefits, great pay, and working with management and co-workers.
Cons
heavy lifting and dirty working conditions.
Bad place to work
Quality Control Tecnician (Former Employee) –  Dana, GordonsvilleJune 13, 2012
I worked at Dana for 4 years. I was layed off August 1, 2008. I was told I would be called back to work. I was a team player and worked hard at my job. I even went to Toyota Princeton by myself for a quality issue. After never missing a day of work and never late Dana, Gordonsville hired people who were previously fired for attendance. They never called not only myself but others. This company does not care about its workers. Don't go there.
Pros
it is a job
Cons
if you get layed off do not expect to be called back to work