Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center Employee Reviews

8-9 hour work day
Minimal skills are used
Management does not lead
the morale is down
the job is very stressful and overwhelming
The co-workers are great.
Avoid Dartmouth-Hitchcock if possible
Director (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, NHMay 3, 2017
The issue with Dartmouth-Hitchcock is how the location impacts the culture. Dartmouth can attract the best and brightest for the top jobs (physicians and upper management). The issue is that all the other roles are filled by locals, the vast majority of which are under-educated and have very limited talent. This creates a culture of tenure over talent and the downward spiral begins. I would avoid coming here if at all possible, if you have to come here get in and get out ASAP.
Pros
Beautiful location
Cons
Very low quality employees / management (other than the physicians)
Not a competitive employer
Clinical Secretary (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, NHMarch 29, 2017
DHMC used to be one of the best employers in the area. In the past 10 years they've stopped contributing to employee 401K. If raises are given, they're given once every 2 years, while upper managements makes upwards of $700,000 a year. The employees who are actually taking care of patients make very little, well below the cost of living for this area. The health insurance options have become more expensive that most other employers, very high premiums and high deductibles.
Difficult but Rewarding
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, NHMarch 21, 2017
When I applied to Dartmouth, I was so excited and ready to get to work. The first month was amazing and I was able to balance out my work, school work, and social life. But after the first month, I started working crazy hours and having to pull doubles because we were so short staffed. It was almost impossible to keep up with school work and to spend time with family - which is a deal breaker for me. I was committed to staying at this job though because I loved working with patients and interacting with them. So many of them made my job possible to work at and was overall the best part of the job. Not only that, but the other people that I would see within the halls, such as the Environmental Services, nurses, and some doctors, were so nice and made the job more enjoyable. I wanted to stay, but with school being my main priority, I had no space to continue to work there. I had talked to managers about it, but nothing ever got changed. If you are willing to work many, many hours and interact with some amazing people, then I would completely recommend Dartmouth Hitchcock.
Pros
Nice people, good pay, patients are so understanding.
Cons
A lot of hours, difficult managers, strict rules
Innovative operations
Registered Nurse-Operating Room (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, NHMarch 11, 2017
The work itself is great. The hospital is excellent in terms of the surgical services it provides. The environment of the workers there could use some work. Not much balance between lfie and work
Great hospital to work for.
Registered Nurse on Medical Specialties Unit (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, NHDecember 30, 2016
Enjoyed my 13 week nursing contact very much. Great staff, unit set-up, dining options. Management was easy to talk to and laid back. Nurses were smart and helpful. Beautiful area, take measures to actually protect environment.
Clerical Assistant
Physical Education Instructor (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, NHDecember 21, 2016
• Systematized the evaluation system for residents by redesigning it to incorporate the new ACGME guidelines and streamlining it for assessment of resident progress by attending physicians
• Expedited preparation for residency interviews by summarizing qualifications and interests of applicants and assisting in scheduling applicants for interview
• Tracked pediatric resident progress and areas for improvement in collaborating with physicians
team
Quality/Process Improvement Specialist (Current Employee) –  NHDecember 6, 2016
The people you work with are the people you labor with succeed with and sometimes experience challenges with. They are the people you spend the most amount of your time with you should be able to be confident and comfortable on the team you work with there should be a culture of trust and faith.
Pros
Opportunity to learn when in the right team
Cons
healthcare is changing people are reacting
Its okay
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Merrimack, NHSeptember 16, 2016
Worked in the call center was okay, different shifts available. Pay is reasonable, other employees are helpful friendly. Over nights are the best. Its is 24/7 service .
Pros
Flexible shifts
Cons
Place never closes.
Fast Paced
Emergency Room Patient Access Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, NHAugust 1, 2016
Working at Dartmouth allows you to come in contact with people from all walks of life. Staff is professional and fun. The work days are always different which makes the work day fly by.
Does not give adequate training time.
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHJuly 10, 2016
I worked there for two months and was written up because I had made errors. Which turned out not to be errors. Sufficient time to learn any job is 6 months. I had to quit because after talking with management, I knew that no matter how much I tried, they would have fired me anyway.

The Doctors and nurses were very nice and hard working.
Pros
The Doctors and Nurses were very nice and hard working.
Cons
Management does not give employees enough time to learn their job.
Plenty of opportunities
Food and Prodction Servics (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, NHJuly 5, 2016
The kitchen was bittersweet. It wasn't always a bad place to work, but it had its off moments. The management there was usually willing to work with you if you ever voiced interest in doing other things. The dishroom itself was tedious at times but often had relatively good company. The only downfall of it all was working with the highschool part time workers. The place was often to overdramatic, with everybody usually getting involved with everyone else's business. The pay was moderate, while the benefits were pretty good.
Pros
Free coffee, good benefits, simple work
Cons
Overdramatic
it was good
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, NHJanuary 6, 2016
A typical day ta work starts when i punch in, After that i get my pager,keys,supply's and all the equipment's am gonna need.I learned that people from all over the country comes to Dartmouth hospital. My co workers are really nice and friendly,The hardest part of my day is to see someone in pain or see someone not make it.And last but not least the most enjoyable art of my day is to see someone have a healthy baby and get to take him or her home with them.
Pros
i get discounts on my lunch
Cons
i get 2 half hour breaks and get pay for one of them
Decent pay, horrible management.
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, NHOctober 29, 2015
The insurance DHMC offers isn't worth even getting, and the other benefits really don't do much good. The earned time is nice but they hassle you about it. Management is a joke though and if you plan on going anywhere, Dartmouth might not be the place for you.
Not your concern
Clinical Secretary (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, NHOctober 19, 2015
I do not understand why this has to be done, My opinion of my last place of employment is no concern of anyone else. I learned that I am not a good fit for the medical world, it is too illogical. And people can be very rude.
Pros
Cons
Poor work enviornment
a typical customer service day
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, NHSeptember 22, 2015
Answering the phones all day long and never being sure what type of call you would be answering was quite a challenge. From the mundane questions to really tough situations that needed to be rectified for the patient on the other end of the phone made for an overall enjoyable day. The management, not wanting this team to burn out always took care to be sure that breaks were taken and that an appropriate amount of 'fun' was built into our lifes.
Positive Atmosphere
Medical Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Concord, NHSeptember 22, 2015
My day starts with checking phone messages, drawing up injections for the day, and rooming patients.
I often help with running photo-therapy and nurse visits.
Pros
Fast paced
benefits
An Estimable Institution
Grants Coordinator - Center for Telehealth (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, NHOctober 17, 2014
Dartmouth Hitchcock provides high quality health care to communities in New Hampshire and Vermont.
Pediatric Float Nurse at DHMC
Pediatric Float Nurse, Clinical Nurse III (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, NHOctober 2, 2014
Working in the pediatric department is challenging and rewarding. In the float pool you never know where in the pediatric department you will be work for the day. Working with many nurses on different pediatric floors and learning to work with many different personalities. There is alway something new working on various floors and never boring, enjoyable fast pace job. The most difficult part of this job was the rotating night/day shift work. Switching work schedules during the workweek from nights to days wreaks havoc on biorhythms of the human body.
Pros
Working in a fast pace pediatric environment
Cons
Rotating night- day shift.
Great staff
MRI Technologist (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, NHJuly 17, 2014
Did two rotations at this facility. Contrast work.Great staff,great management
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center Reviews by Location