Data Recognition Corporation Employee Reviews

Excellent Company To Work With
Proficiency Test Score Reader (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 15, 2015
It is nice to work in an environment where people care about you. They come in with a smile on their face and greet you, "Good morning if you have any problems during they day you can rely on the support of your co-workers to get the correct answer or assist you in problem solving. A typical day at work is updating any new rules or regulations, answering phone calls, taking orders, and listening to client concerns. I learned that because we always have someone/persons that are high up in management/supervisors that they are human too and are willing to help out in anyway possible. The hardest part of the job was probably learning all the new language of different clients and what they were truly requesting from you, so you definitely had to be patient and once they needed to say do not be afraid to repeat their request in order to make sure everything goes smoothly and according to plan. The most enjoyable part of the job was all the different variations of workplace perks that the company was willing to go out of there way to provide the co-workers letting us know job well done.
A very creative and positive work place.
Scoring Director (Former Employee) –  Sharonville, OHDecember 3, 2015
Being a non profit museum promoting the original artwork found across this great state, the Kentucky Folk Art Center creates quite a wonderful work experience. The museum setting itself fosters a very positive and encouraging vibe of the arts and the people behind the scenes are most pleasant, helpful, and supportive co-workers.
Warehouse Associate Review
Warehouse Associate (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNOctober 22, 2015
A repetitive job with helpful supervisor. Position allows you to independently work and their is no daily production results. Decent job but no full time position.
Pros
Good work hours
Cons
Seasonal job
I wish I could do it all year long!
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNOctober 22, 2015
I really enjoy working at DRC. A typical day for me goes like this:
I arrive a bit before 8:00 and get settled in before my team members begin to arrive, and record their attendance as they come. At about 8:30, my supervisor makes any announcements and updates all the teams about the status our project. We take 15 minute breaks at 10:15 and 2:15, and a half hour lunch break at noon or 12:30. Hours are somewhat flexible, so people can go home between 4:00 and 5:00. Throughout the day I monitor team member production, and answer any questions they might have about scoring test responses. I most enjoy helping people, guiding them, and answering their questions, and I get to move around going from person to person and help them make a scoring decision. The hardest part of my job is the inevitable boredom that creeps in at a certain point with each project. Any given project usually focuses on one question from a larger test, so many answers tend to look more or less the same, especially in math. There are exceptions to this trend, but any project usually only lasts for a few months at most. So even though a given question may get boring, it changes quickly enough that it never becomes intolerable. It's a very casual environment, and everyone is pretty friendly and sociable. I've definitely worked a lot harder for a lot less, and my only real complaint is that it's a seasonal job.
Pros
Casual work environment, Good location, Low stress occupation
Cons
Seasonal, No benefits for seasonal employees
A challenging educational reading experience
Reader/Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNOctober 19, 2015
As an educational reader I was responsible for 100's of student essays. They required timeliness and accuracy, We were required to follow mandated state criteria in order to justify our score. I learned that expedience is essential to succeeding. Management was astute and committed to excellence.My co-workers were dedicated and very hardworking. The hardest part of the job was when specific projects were completed. The most enjoyable part of working there were the people. They had a positive outlook and were glad to be working.
Pros
Good environment, coffee and co-workers.
Cons
In retrospect most everything ran smoothly.
Workplace core hours to be observed. Breaks are frequent and of lengthy duration.
Reader (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNOctober 19, 2015
Management trains on each project and a qualifying exam is to be given on each project before. Projects scores needed to qualify were from 70% to 90%. There are 2 chances. This is the hardest part.

The most enjoyable part is the occasional alternative answers which are graded per the graders discretion. There are a set of twice graded, sometimes thrice graded responses. Graders are evaluated based on how close they score to the rubric.

Of the grading that I have had the chance to perform, more than 50% of the responses are at grade level. That is true of any repeat test takers too.
Pros
Occasional free ice-creams
Cons
Due to seasonal nature of job, benefits are non-existent.
Great Temp Job
Scorer (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNOctober 1, 2015
The job is great for anyone just getting out of college. It pays relatively well and gives a feel of what a full-time job is like. If you can handle a somewhat monotonous task, I'd highly recommend this position to anyone looking for a summer job.
Pros
40 hours/week, good pay, easy work, great managing staff
Cons
can be tedious, not good if you can't sit still
Ability to work with a variety of people.
Reader/Scorer (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNSeptember 17, 2015
Although the conditions were a bit cramped, it was still pretty easy to do the work. Supervisors were very friendly and helpful.
cooperative and relaxed work enviroment
Test Scorer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 1, 2015
Comfortable work environment that emphasizes team work. The Management was very supportive and kind and the other employees were fun to work with.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
short breaks, temporary position
Great place to work for seniors, disabled
Test Scorer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 24, 2015
You are able to sit all day, no pressure to be necessarily fast, just that you be accurate and understand the scoring. You work on a team and you feel that you are a valued member of the team. You receive encouragement and positive reinforcement. With that said, it is very boring, mind numbing work, but it is only temporary, and pays pretty well, with opportunity for overtime.
Pros
Pays well, ability to sit down, friendly, encouraging.
Cons
Timed breaks, only 1/2 hour lunch, crowded
Great atmosphere
Reader (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 25, 2015
DRC is great in a temporary or optional employment scenario. They require a 4-year college degree, and offer 35 hour daytime or 20 hour night shifts. Laid back and fun atmosphere, just not a constant paycheck you can count on. No benefits are offered because this is not permanent employment.
Pros
Laid back, weekly attendance bonus
Cons
No benefits, temporary
Started as a good company, now going downhill.
Warehouse Production (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNFebruary 26, 2015
This company has a lot of unreasonable deadlines and also management does not treat employees with respect. Management have their "trust circle" and if you are not in it, you will not receive the same respect as those who are. People are very "clique-y" here meaning their are a lot of groups who talk about each other all the time. Most enjoyable was before 2013, anything that happened after that went downhill. Loss of large contracts due to mismanagement and leadership has caused this company to be a bad place to work.
Pros
not many
Cons
micro management, no advancement, very "clique-y"
Free filtered water
Digital press operator (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNFebruary 25, 2015
Daily at work, I would be in charge of 3 to 4 black and white digital presses and one iGen color press.
Somethings I leaned at this job was , there's always some were else to work.
Management was one of two thing's - like to put the fear of god in you or not around for a week at a time .
I had a few fun co-workers but the majority would just stay in small groups.
The hardest part working there was , there was no team work.
The most enjoyable part was the over time.
Pros
over time
Cons
just not a nurturing place to work.
Seasonal part time
Scoring Director (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNFebruary 11, 2015
Reading and scoring student responses to standardized tests is not the best part of the job. The best part is meeting and getting to know such a wide variety of highly intelligent, friendly people.
Pros
free coffee, tea, and ice!
Cons
short breaks and lunch
Excellent place to work. You meet a lot of very interesting people from very diverse backgrounds.
Reader (Test Scorer) (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNJanuary 28, 2015
I have worked at DRC (Data Recognition Corporation) since the Spring of 2004. I have tremendously enjoyed working at this company, having
met very interesting fellow employees from many countries. I have made many wonderful friends and acquaintances. I have found the work
challenging and meaningful, and feel that I have made a meaningful contribution to this corporation and have proved to be a valued employee.
Pros
free coffee, tea and hot chocolate, and two paid breaks every day.
Cons
no health insurance and no paid luch break.
This is seasonal work, but they pay if you work FT or more.
Test Scorer (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNJanuary 2, 2015
Test scoring can be challenging, but I found DRC a better place to work than other test scoring services. I've tried working from home for another company, I found it very difficult because it takes a lot of time to ask questions, and the people tend to mimic the critiques of validation papers like they are reading from a script. The group leaders at DRC are available for questions and begin to learn your style and reasoning of scoring which can be beneficial if you are straying from the norms. With bonuses and overtime, things can really add up, friendly people to work for.
Pros
bonuses, overtime, friendly people
Cons
you are reading repetitive materials.
Data Recognition Corporation is a progressive company delivering large scale assessment tests
Senior Illustrator (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNNovember 12, 2014
I worked at DRC for over 12 years as an illustrator. A typical day involved drawing primarily science and social studies graphics for K-12 assessment tests. The best part of the job was doing what I loved all day. The hardest part of the job was learning changing technologies in short amounts of time.
Pros
excellent benefit package
Cons
no food service in our building
Good part time employment
Reader (Former Employee) –  Sharonville, OHNovember 2, 2014
I worked a part-time 20 hour a week evening shift during the summer. It's nice temp work because you're individually contracted for each reading project which lasts about two weeks. It's great for a little extra spending cash. And if you have good stats they'll always invite you back.
Not a place to work for right now
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNNovember 2, 2014
This company, due to a loss of a number of contracts and mismanagement from senior leadership, is highly unstable at the moment. Accept a job here at your own peril. There is little room for growth, extreme nepotism and little appreciation for dedication.
Reader - Scorer
Reader/Evaluator - Returning (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNOctober 12, 2014
As a reader, know that your speed is important, the requirement of learning the scoring criteria for each State is vitally important as well. If you don't mind being micromanaged and mind working with retired folks and some introrvert personalities that are readers then go for it. You need to stay on time arriving for work, returning from breaks and lunch, they are serious about every minute you are on their clock, DRC has deadlines and the sooner they achieve these deadlines the better it is for them, only problem is you hurry up and read yourself out of a job. Simply said, you end up shortening your employment term, because the project is ended.
Pros
Free filtered water & ice, coffee and cocoa
Cons
Small work space, crowded rooms that can be noisy with coughing, clearing of throats, and sick people that come to work, guard yourself against germs, and/or asked to be moved when sitting next to a hacker. If you become sick, and can't work, you lose the money and possibly get kicked off the project, something the sick person doesn't realize when they don't stay home with their fever, coughs

Comment – May 25, 2016

Reading about working as a Reader/Scorer for DRC in Woodbury, MN, I found you gave us good feedback, it's very true and to the point.

2.9