Dave & Buster's Employee Reviews

Good money, sinister company
SERVER / BARTENDER (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 13, 2017
I have worked for the company for three years now as a server and the money is good during its peak seasons. I do have to admit that you will need to have secondary income if you want to pay your rent during slow season. Weekend shifts last for 10-15 hours a day and there is a 20% chance you will get a break. Even if you do get a break, you will still have tables to tend to..,so don't get too comfortable. Every employee is supposed to maximize sales for the restaurant, which is fine, but there will be no extra compensation for doing so. No matter how high the sales, how many new employees you train, how happy you make your guests, and how many hard hours you put in, you will be compensated the minimum $2.13/hr and there is little room for upward mobility. Consider this as a side job for extra cash and students.
Pros
great money during Christmas and Summer
Cons
Maximum expectations for minimum wage
Not enough emphasis placed on development
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILSeptember 29, 2016
Overall, Dave and Buster's is a really fun, exciting and fast-paced career for managers and hourly staff alike. There are a lot of great things happening inside the company and sales often exceed expectations. Eventually the excitement wears off and the constant battle of playing catch up starts to wear on you physically. Its not the hardest job, but its definitely not easy.
Pros
Compensation, diversity of staff, medical insurance
Cons
Too many incompatible(outdated) systems, lack of accountability, lack of leadership, lack of communication, lack of development
Potential for being a great job but management is unbearable
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Braintree, MAAugust 6, 2016
Dave and Busters as a company provides better benefits and pay than most kitchen jobs. How ever the management at the Braintree store has little to no regard for their staff. The refuse to listen to employees who have been at that store longer than they have been with the company. The cut corners as far as repairs to equipment and refuse to staff appropriately for high volume times. The kitchen is has been under staffed for over a year and with out a prep or banquet cook for nearly 6 months. The reason was so that they could keep labor down. Again Dave and Busters as a company does provide for its employees better than most but Braintree store is run by condescending, lazy, penny pinchers who do not care about their staff.
Pros
paid time off, good health care
Cons
rude to employees, unrealistic work expectations
fun work environment, amazing managers
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAJuly 6, 2016
This job was alot of fun, i worked there for 5 years, the management always had the employees back during rough situations. very lenient when it came to needing personal time off. Most guests enjoyed Dave and Busters. There was 2 bars for the adults and 10 pool tables, plus all the arcade games new and old school, which attracted the older crowd such as galaga and pacman.The co workers were like dealing with high school all over again, which was not fun. But i suppose that is human nature and that in itself cant be stopped. most enjoyable part of the job was seeing people smile when they were leaving and how they would thank me over and over for giving them the best time and great recommendations.
Pros
free food, paid time off, awesome managers
Cons
worked there for 5 years and i never got a raise even though all my assessments were 100%, drunk people where a hassle alot.
Fun environment with growth potential
Area Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCAugust 29, 2016
Long hours and late nights are typical for any restaurant however they don't seem as bad when surrounded by all the games. The company as a whole is a very good company to work for they compensate you well and their rate of growth makes for ample opportunity to move up within the company. I would definitely recommend them for any experienced manager.
Pros
Excellent compensation
entertaining diverse workplace
Game Technician (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAJanuary 14, 2017
Good job good people lacking a true structure and employment growth system for all employees. Did start off as a busser and got an opportunity to be a tech so the chances are there just not everyone gets a chance to raise up the ranks .
Open minded to work
Assist in running out food (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMay 20, 2016
Always willing to take the pride in wanting to advance the level of work and get towards management position. A lot of pride is welcomed from all employees and management staff. Even though it is always a busy area every day, customers tend to always ask about being involved in getting in touch with the chef to compliment and give fresh ideas to watch for. Lately I have been very glad to work as a part of the family at Dave and Buster's even though I was there for a short time before I had moved to California.
Pros
Benefits and always creating new food ideas
Cons
At dinner/holiday rushes, lots of crazy attitudes from kitchen staff
A fun and productive place.
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 4, 2016
A typical day at Dave and Busters was a blast. Making awesome cocktails for guest and serving them delicious food on the daily. I learned to be a leader and how to teach the new employees the ropes to get started at DnB. My co-workers helped make the job a fun and awesome place to be at, and management was incredible. They worked around your school schedule and if you needed a day off, they would work with you to somehow make it happen.
One of the hardest part of the job for me at DnB would have to be a busy day. Trying to keep up with multiple tabs an making a bunch of drinks, but at the end of the day, it was well worth it. Meeting new people everyday and interacting with them was one of the most enjoyable thing for me. I love meeting people.!
Pros
free food, free games, benefits
Cons
no breaks
good place to work
Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 19, 2016
*great place to develop communication skills.
* good management overall
*teamwork
* the opportunity to learned how to work under pressure
* good benefits
Good job
Special Events Coordinator (Current Employee) –  OhioJanuary 12, 2017
I enjoy the job, but do not feel as if my pay is enough for having a degree. Fun day to day tasks such as interacting with the public and absolutely love having a set schedule.
Benefits
Cons
Pay rate
Co-Workers were Great
Winner's Circle (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAOctober 18, 2016
My co-workers were amazing and I miss working with them and seeing them every weekend. Other than that, there was no benefits to the company. No being able to eat if the store is busy is stupid.
Managing on a day to day basis
Area Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 12, 2016
From the start of my career at Dave and Buster's the management team that I worked with was one of the best that I have personally come across. They believed in me and saw my potential. Moving through the ladder I was able to feel comfortable and my transition from and hourly member to a salary member came with ease.
My typical day at work is a lot of problem solving, and quick thinking. As well as running routine day to day procedures. The hardest part about my job is reaching staff members that may not feel motivated. But when I do finally impact those members and they start to change their behaviors, I feel very proud, not only for myself, but for the fact that they start believing in what I also believe in.
Pros
monthly allowance, benefits, bonuses, vacation days
Cons
no weekends off, no holidays off, late nights
there is no saving grace here
winner's circle (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 4, 2016
lets talk hours your gonna get a max of 20 hours max that is not promised since they will . AND can cut you up to 5 hour on a shift. bulk of your hours come on the weekend so if you have any weekend plans this job is not for you there are two people at dave and busters the people who work and those who don't the one who work come in all the time will end up on the lower 20 hours Spectrum while people who do nothing at all will be at the higher 20 hour the management is a joke they don't take anything serious about the job. you can often find them playing games while there is huge lines of guest. and angry customers
I have to say the hardest part is taking the slack of the people who don't work and getting less hours then them when your taking on the main impact of the work
the only saving thing about thwhat job is seeing the kids face light up you help them
Pros
half off food
Cons
low pay, low hours, long hours, awful management
Only good things is the money, but not really
Cocktail Server (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HINovember 30, 2016
You work your butt off for 10 plus hours with no break only to get stiffed by the not-so-great clientele that Dave and Buster's attracts. The volume is high which is the only reason you can make money. Management is incompetant, they only do what is in their best interest.
Pros
Free powercards
Cons
Long hours, bad tippers, terrible management
Very busy/fast pace
Front Desk/ Special Events Consultant (Former Employee) –  Homestead, PAFebruary 22, 2016
Most of the people I worked with were enjoyable, however, management picks and chooses their favorites. Some people didn't get disciplinary actions for being late or calling off a lot, sticking the people who did show up on time with extra work. Good place to work if this is your only job or responsibility. Ability to get lots of hours over the weekend.
Pros
Decent pay, good people, free game play on non-ticketed games, discount food
Cons
High turnover, short to no breaks, no benefits (part-time positions only)
Has potention to be better just stronger leaders
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIJuly 26, 2016
When I first started, Dave & Busters was a dream job for me. Although we worked long hours mostly without proper breaking we made tons of money as a server. This years turnover rate has been a battle for everyone. This place just needs a more supportive management staff who actually value guest experiences and insures that every employee is equipped to carry out their job duties properly.
Pros
Discount on meals
Cons
Managment
fun place, lot of work
Waitress/Sales Promotions (Current Employee) –  Braintree, MANovember 9, 2016
D&B is definitely a different experience to work at but the money is worth it. Easily can move up to management positions. The only downside is its a lot of hours and you usually have to work weekends.
Pros
fun environment, good money
Cons
no breaks, no weekends off, lots of hours
Fun and exciting company to work for
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 15, 2016
Typical day at work was in a fun and inviting environment
how to cook and work with prep team
management is down to earth
co-workers helped out one another
the hardest part of my job was that there was no hard part
the most enjoyable part of my job was being able to play games
Pros
free lunch, free games
Cons
annual raises and evaluations
It is what you make of it
Service Support/Busser (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 6, 2016
I started working here late 2015 to early 2016. So I only got to experience one season here. I f you love fast paced always on your feet this is the perfect job for you. I mostly did 12 hour shifts some 14s but rarely ever 8s or 4 hour shifts. I was one of two girls to work service support of a team of about 15-20 maybe. So I always worked with men but that was not a problem. I never got a break but when I would force a break my co-workers or even managers sometimes would make a big deal out of it. Overall I loved the atmosphere, customers, and most of my co-workers.
Pros
Tips, Game Cards
Cons
No breaks (even when I worked 12-14 hours), Long shifts, Only weekend shifts
Company overview
Lead Gaming Technician (Former Employee) –  Woburn, MAJanuary 12, 2017
My work day would be fixing games for customers on the spot. I would have to come up with a solution and fix the game with in five minutes. If this was not possible I would have to find a way to please the customer. When games would not be going down I would be jumping into other departments and helping out the best i can or fixing games that needed replacement parts. Morning shifts before the store would open i would take the game completely apart to regular maintenance cleaning. Than part the game pack together and play the games to make sure they were fulling functioning. Once a month I would take a complete inventory of parts. I got put in charge of maintaining a full stock room of parts.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dave & Buster's. Our community is ready to answer.