Dave And Busters

Dave And Busters Employer Reviews

EVERYONE READ THIS BEFORE YOU APPLY!!!! Biggest Joke of an establishment. Puts High School mentality to shame.
Service (Former Employee), Denver, COJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: money at first. unless you work fight nights then never.
Cons: everything! there is no safety, no respect. the mentality of everyone is even less than high school. so much drama and immaturity!
I originally had been in love with Dave and Busters. It started out as my favorite job ever. But as time went on I noticed the little things began to pile up. In my 6+ years of serving, I had NEVER had a walk out. At this place? They were countless throughout the establishment. I had one instance where I had racked over a few hundred dollar bill for my guests. They were having the time of their life, completely raving about me (trying to buy me nearly everything off the drink menu. Flattering, but not allowed, nor professional) they were nowhere near done with buying more products. When suddenly security decided to step in by blocking off the doors because we were beyond capacity due to it being a UFC fight night.

1.) We had been beyond capacity for hours.
2.) Security does NOT have the legal right or liberty to enact this. This is a fire marshal responsibility.

So besides refusing any other guests in (EXTREMELY rude in his approach I might add) the host of my table AKA the one paying for everything was refused to come back in after stepping out for a phone call. My table came to find me in a panic, telling me what was going on and I was livid. (Side note: This happened just after having just been stiffed on a large group I had forced upon me by the rudest, unprofessional manager I have ever encountered in my life. While already having nearly half of the bar area to myself filled, because trying to get as much money as you can and overbooking parties and reservations leaving the establishment short staffed I guess is more important than focusing on being able to provide the – more... proper service to encourage reoccurring, happy, satisfied guests)

I tried speaking with security, and arrogantly and rudely refused to let the host back in. The rest of my table's guests were astonished as was I. (The host was literally on the other side of the glass door)

My manager was speaking with another guest (their host also was being refused entry) I added too, that my issue was the same. My guests at this point (THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART): TOLD MY MANAGER TO THEIR FACE THEY WERE NOT PAYING! They had not come prepared to pay for this grand total. It had been planned and situated for the host to pay. And my manager? With a condescending, rude tone, said that there was nothing they could do and TURNED FROM MY GUESTS AND WALKED AWAY!!!! I was left literally jaw dropped, mind blown and feeling like this couldn't be happening. My guests all turned to me, apologized, reassuring me that they in no way were holding me accountable and that I was the best server they had ever had in their lives, and originally were planning on coming more often specifically for MY service. But after being treated in such a way, they would not return (I wouldnt either) they gave me a sympathetic smile and walked out the door. I tried to finish out my night, my anxiety racing in fear on what this was going to mean at the end of the night.

End of the night comes, and I am pulled into the office and SURPRISE SURPRISE! I am written up for such a large walkout (all while the responsible, neglecting and simply non caring manager who walked away was in the room) I was heartbroken and felt so deceived. I thought that was that.... boy was I wrong.

I return to work the next day, perhaps ten minutes into opening my station when I am told the GM needs to speak with me.... I meet with them (and the (ir)responsible manager from the nightmare of the night before) and am told I am being suspended. Because "it had been brought to their attention, that before the table left, they DID leave cash on the table and I pocketed it." So I was under investigation from stealing from the company..... This was the biggest slap in the face I have ever experienced in my entire work career.

There are cameras everywhere. Where is any reasonable proof or reasonable doubt enough to accuse me of such action?

I am then informed by a fellow coworker during my suspension that there was talk I had already been fired and that another manager was going around saying I would not be returning because I had stolen.

An employer is NOT allowed to discuss with an outside party, let alone place blame on the employee while an investigation is STILL ongoing. This is Defamation (False accusation) seeing as how the investigation was still going, and in the end it was found I was not guilty (Duh. I have a feeling this had been done because it would be easier to blame a server, than them take responsibility and have to report to corporate)

I was brought back for a short time after, but things had changed. One thing after another, I was being written up for the most ridiculous things, the final one was laughable (5 min late after being rescheduled, without management being in communication with each other, having a "bad attitude" 2 min into the same shift)

I am now currently being harassed by multiple employees on the local location's Facebook page. (One who brought up the walk out incident. Which I am furious about, seeing as how that is supposed to be confidential information. Not to mention the blame is still being put on me for the walk out)

DO NOT WORK OR EVEN SPEND MONEY WITH THIS COMPANY!!! You will be treated horribly and harassed in and outside of work even if you dont work there anymore!

(Insert: The same guilty manager, ignored another incident when I informed them a drunk guest threw a glass at my arm ON PURPOSE while I was picking out the first glass they had knocked over in the trash accidentally from being so drunk..... THEY ARE MORE CONCERNED WITH MONEY THAN THEIR EMPLOYEES SAFETY!!!!!)

AVOID THIS PLACE! BOYCOTT IT!!! THIS IS A NIGHTMARE! – less
Family like atmosphere and great people to work with
Captain (Current Employee), Addison, ILJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: meeting new people, greeting our guests.......
Cons: health care could be better, management could be more consistent
I'm the first person you see when you walk in and the last one you see when you leave, always with a cheerful smile......I learned how to patiently answer guests' questions and guide them in the right direction, my co-workers are the best people I've ever worked with. We are a big family. Sometimes, the hardest part about this job not letting people's attitude or moods affect how you do the job but I still do my best.
Bad
Customers Service Representative (Former Employee), Addison, ILJanuary 22, 2015
I learned that the place was bad.
So I stopped working there.
fun place to work, they have arcade games.
hostess/winner circle attendant (Former Employee), Maryland Heights, MOJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: money, food, atmosphere.
Cons: hours, coworkers, drama, and bosses.
typical day is its always busy and crazy. I learned how to handle tickets and lable and price the prizes. the bosses weren't really helpful or nice. the coworkers were nothing but drama and gossip and like to pick on people. hardest part of the job was working with the rude customers and coworkers. the most enjoyable part was the atmosphere of the work place and all the colors and lights, the food was pretty good.
busy place
Waitress (Former Employee), Arlington, TXJanuary 14, 2015
Very busy , the employees are great the hours are long and side work keeps you after
Only good if you want to play "the game"
Front of House (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: decent money, lot of jobs, steady business
Cons: workplace politics, do nothing and absentee management, lots of loafers
There are a few good things about this place, they have plenty of jobs, pay pretty well and have a steady stream of business. Because their business model is focused on "fun" they tend to push this idea to extremes, resulting in an extremely juvenile atmosphere. I get the idea of embracing fun for the sake of the customers, but at some point like any job work needs to be done. From my experience management does not seem to realize this. They treat everyone like a child and are paranoid about theft, they kept everything under lock and key. About 40% of my job was running around trying to find a manager who had the keys, and then running around trying to return the keys so I didn't get accused of theft. This was pretty hard to do since managers were hands off individuals, always disappearing or engrossed in the minutiae of their headsets and not the big picture. They acted like they were doing me a favor by giving me keys for things. The other 60% of my time was spent feverishly trying to catch up from all the time wasted running around. As a result I had little time to embrace the manic culture that is really all they care about.

The company really weeds out talent based on its cult like emphasis of style over substance. As a result loafers and intellectual lightweights are propelled up the ladder and join the do nothing management club. It's a shame because if they just tweaked their values it would be an excellent place to work. Therefore my rating of 2.0 is subjective -- if you actually want to work you won't go far here. If you want to act like an absurd clown and pretend to work you will probably do fine.
Definite pros and cons
SWAG Crew (Current Employee), Denver, COJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: healthcare, half-priced meals, free games, supportive co-workers, supportive managers
Cons: dealing with drunk and hostile guests, hours spent on your feet, dj music is deafeningly loud wed through sat, co-workers who don't pull their weight
Work in SWAG can be fun and fast-paced, but can easily become overwhelming and stressful. It depends a great deal on the quality of the guests as well as the quality of your co-workers.

Do not apply for the position if you cannot handle working around kids or drunk people. They are are a constant presence at D&B and cannot be avoided.

Do not apply for the position if you think this sounds like an easy job for easy money.

SWAG is essentially working a small high traffic toy store inside a bar/arcade. Employees have to count tickets, check out people at a register, constantly restock over the course of the day and night, be constantly cleaning to keep the shop presentable as possible, be able to memorize or look up prices for guests, and provide customer service to those guests who need help (no matter their temperament or age).

This job can be made easier and even fun by fellow employees who work hard and pull their weight together. However, co-workers who prove to be lazy will usually be stuck on tickets or the register and be relatively ignored by senior co-workers.

Management, for the most part, is supportive and helpful, so long as you communicate with them.
Fun Place to work
Food Service Worker and Trainer (Current Employee), Irvine, CAJanuary 8, 2015
great. fun. exciting. there is a lot to do. never a boring day. on your feet 100 percent of the time
Chaotic and Fun
Server (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 7, 2015
Dave & Busters was an entertaining place to work while I was there. No day was ever the same; one day would be filled with banquets while the next day I could be cocktailing or serving in the dining room. Week nights were typically slow and steady while weekends were busy non stop.
Great company to work for.
Administrative assistant/ Front desk attendant (Current Employee), Marietta, GAJanuary 6, 2015
The best part of my job is that it does not seem like work. The staff is fun and helpful and the management team are great leaders.
Waitstaff
Waitstaff (Former Employee), Westlake, OHJanuary 5, 2015
Great Place
Management problems
Great Pay
Team work was great
This is a great place to visit, eat and play games.
Waitress (Current Employee), ClackamasDecember 16, 2014
Pros: we get free game cards as employees and 50% off our meals.
Cons: breaks hardly are ever given.
Working at Dave and Busters a has definitely been a good experience. Ive had my ups and downs, but I understand his is a new company, with all new employees.

Ive learned that in every company, there are going to be small problems. But the best way to fix them, is to be calm, and ask as many questions that are needed.

The management staff is new. I understand that opening a new store is extremely stressful. I think once this store has been around for at leas a year, everything will be a lot more smooth than it is now.

The hardest part of this job is when people get up from their tables to go play games after they have ate their meals. People sometimes forget to pay for their meals. It happens, but it should be avoided.

The most enjoyable part about this job is that we have all kinds of games on. Die hard sports fans will come in and will stay all night for he game. We have great food and beer tubes. Who can go wrong with a beer tube!?
Hard Work, but potential for good pay
Cashier, Server, and Busser (Current Employee), Springfield OhioDecember 12, 2014
Pros: good pay if you work hard
Cons: bad management, gets really busy, stressful
The job can be a lot of fun, but generally it's just hard. It gets really busy and the managers don't really know what their doing a lot of the time. It would definitely benefit from a more structured management team. Each manager seems to have a varying degree of knowledge with the workings of Dave and Busters, so some of them tend to be a bit useless at times. That aside the guests can be really fun to talk to, and when you get 200 dollars in tips on a Saturday night you can't complain too much.
Eat, Play,Win
Service (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKDecember 7, 2014
Everyday was a smooth day, we all worked as a team to were everything was brought out on time. My most favorite part of the job is the great guest that come into our establishment. They would always make my day.
Learned alot as far as customer service
Server (Former Employee), Indianapolis, IndianaDecember 2, 2014
I was able to meet a lot of interesting and fun people in this type of environment. This is an extremely fun and exciting place to work if you allow it to be. At times, you are going to get worked 25-40 hours in 3 days, so be prepared for that. You will not struggle getting hours in this workplace.
Productive and fun workplace
Busboy (Former Employee), Nyack, NYNovember 28, 2014
• Delivers order from kitchen to guest in an efficient and timely manner • Carries trays with food back and forth between kitchen and dining area • Delivers proper serving utensil with the food • Provides quick and attentive assistance to any mishap in the dining room and kitchen • Cleans off all dishes in kitchen, placing the dishes in the dishwashing area • Cleans off and wipes down work area and carts at the end of event/shift • Work with kitchen to tray food • Carry trays up to 50lbs • Observes and follows-up with guests to respond if they require additional service • Cleans areas and assists with set-up and clean-up as needed • Completes opening and closing side work as assigned • Serves alcoholic beverages responsibly, requests identification, and adheres to all unit and company alcohol service policies and procedures • Performs other duties as assigned
n/a
Jan/Cleaner (Former Employee), Providence, RINovember 18, 2014
Working at D&B is a blast you meet new people, the Staff is Generally both professional and a lot of fun.
Very innovative model to work in
Corporate Trainer (Current Employee), Orland Park, ILNovember 17, 2014
Pros: fun atmosphere to interact with the guests
Cons: benefits and advancement
The Dave and Busters work model is pretty innovative and specific to their type of business. Typical day was never typical. with the restaurant and gaming area, each day had its own special and unique challenges to deal with. Add in the special events we hosted and it was quite an interesting job to participate in.
Productive and fun
Party host/Waitress (Former Employee), 7620 Katy Fwy Ste 100, Houston, TX 77024November 13, 2014
I really enjoyed working at Dave and Busters. A typical day at work was pretty much taking orders, hosting parties and interacting with different types of people on a day to day basis. The time went by fast because I was having fun. the hardest part of the job was taking more than six tables at a time.
A good place to work with good management to help you out when you need it
Winner's Circle (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 13, 2014
Being there for over 2 1/2 years, you develop a sense of family. They are there in at time of need. I have learned to challenge myself with new things, meet new people, develop new relationships and I love the relationships I have with the guests. Their smiles are what make my day worth wild. Hardest part is I don't know how to leave because I feel I can help my co-workers more or do more.

1 2 3 4 5

About Dave And Busters

Fun and games collide with food and drink at these nightspots. Dave & Buster's Entertainment owns and operates about 55 entertainment – Read more