Davenport Community Schools Employee Reviews

Flexibility
Health Paraeducator (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAMay 23, 2017
My typical day at work is passing medication to students, data entry, minor first aid treatments. What I learned while an employee is the training that is given to you and how each day is different. Management at my school is great and understanding and caring. They work as a team. The hardest part of the job is not knowing all the students at my school. Most enjoyable part is having the ability to work in an actual office setting but still showing sympathy and knowing that students appreciate it. And if you need to go to appointments, etc. you have time built up for that.
Pros
Good benefits and wages, flexibility.
Cons
No pay in the summer
challenging at times with students behaviors
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAMay 2, 2017
over all, I love teaching, don't like it when students have difficulties with guest teachers. would like to see better options for teachers in dealing with students behavioral issues.
amazing
Campus Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAMarch 2, 2017
productive and a great place to help kids, i really enjoy the teachers and everyone. best staff i have ever worked with. the hardest part is having the summers off.
Engaging work with our community's youth
Diversion Coach (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAFebruary 21, 2017
I enjoy my position through this company. Have worked a number of years here and the hours and pay are good. It is hard work but very rewarding.
Na
Para Educator (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAJanuary 25, 2017
It's a job for someone who wishes to work with children. I work with learning disable children and they can be challenging sometimes but they are also very indearing.
good place towork
Head Custodian (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IANovember 4, 2016
I enjoyed the many years of working for the schools. I enjoyed the kids teachers principals and parents I met while working for them.
Schools are not reliable
Para Educator (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAFebruary 14, 2016
The schools are great, students are good, most teachers are fine. It is the human resources that are disgusting people. Never try to get anything done with them. They will keep you down, keep your pay down and change your locations and job requirements at the drop of a hat and expect you to follow along like a puppet.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
No breaks. recess duty. Changing locations often.
productive work for the City of Davenport
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAOctober 4, 2015
working for the City is A Good Feeling You Feel Like You Made The World A Better Place. Cleaning Up The Streets With Public Works, Or Even Being At The School Painting So Kids Can Go there either way it looks good for your city and your self after all the hard work is done. as an employee you should always love your job and I have liked of helping the dropout rate and mentoring the kids and also cleaning the streets
Pros
you are out and about all day, helping others
Cons
it can be hot, alot of hard work !
I helped the challenged kids with daily work.
Para Educator (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAAugust 11, 2015
The hardest part of the job was seeing the kids try so hard but because they came from families that did not understand the material they failed to advance.

The most enjoyable part was when the child understood a concept they had been struggling with!!!
Fun place to be and grow.
Secretary/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IADecember 25, 2014
Productive and a fun work place. A typical dad at work is turning on the switchboard and the calls start coming in, parent starts calling the student in ill or doctor apt,we go by blocks so 1,2,3 is very busy at the end of 3rd block we slow down. We laugh and talk but get the work done, Nice teacher that I greet in the morning and subs through out the day. some times they come to me and vent I just listen or offer my advice. Mostly just listen. But wonderful staff members..
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
awesome work enviroment
Part time substitute para educator (Former Employee) –  bettendorf iowaSeptember 28, 2014
I learned to be patient with others with disabilities and ejoyed learning how to state document
Fun Place to work
Para Educator (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAApril 21, 2014
If you love kids, this would be a great job for you. Great work hours and a bonding experience. Management is great and co-workers feel like family. The hardest part of the job would be seeing the students move on to the next school, but at the same time it is also one of the most enjoyable part of the job knowing you helped a child succeed.
Pros
Almost everything!
Cons
No pay during Summer, Spring, and Winter breaks
Fun instructing and building relationships.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IANovember 5, 2013
Some schools do not have good discipline systems in place for misbehavior at the middle school level but this is the administrations fault, not the teachers. Check in, go to class and carry out lesson plans. Sometimes it's a little ridiculous when subs are carrying out lesson plans and they often take away your prep period when all the other normal teachers get a break. Overall, decent experience. It's better once you get to building relationships with some of the students but middle school is an award age for any child.
Pros
The schedule, the pay, gained experience learning to communicate assertively.
Cons
behavioral issues, lack of respect for giving a guest a time to break.
work in cafeteria
food service worker (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAOctober 4, 2013
the most enjoyable part of my job is that i felt comfortable at what i didmy coworkers thought i was alittle crazy but they all enjoyed my abilitys at the job and all my experience
Pros
being eith the kids & knowing they were getting feed
Cons
short breaks, personality conflicts