Davenport Community Schools Employee Reviews

productive work for the City of Davenport
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAOctober 4, 2015
working for the City is A Good Feeling You Feel Like You Made The World A Better Place. Cleaning Up The Streets With Public Works, Or Even Being At The School Painting So Kids Can Go there either way it looks good for your city and your self after all the hard work is done. as an employee you should always love your job and I have liked of helping the dropout rate and mentoring the kids and also cleaning the streets
Pros
you are out and about all day, helping others
Cons
it can be hot, alot of hard work !
I helped the challenged kids with daily work.
Para Educator (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAAugust 11, 2015
The hardest part of the job was seeing the kids try so hard but because they came from families that did not understand the material they failed to advance.

The most enjoyable part was when the child understood a concept they had been struggling with!!!
Fun place to be and grow.
Secretary/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IADecember 25, 2014
Productive and a fun work place. A typical dad at work is turning on the switchboard and the calls start coming in, parent starts calling the student in ill or doctor apt,we go by blocks so 1,2,3 is very busy at the end of 3rd block we slow down. We laugh and talk but get the work done, Nice teacher that I greet in the morning and subs through out the day. some times they come to me and vent I just listen or offer my advice. Mostly just listen. But wonderful staff members..
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
awesome work enviroment
Part time substitute para educator (Former Employee) –  bettendorf iowaSeptember 28, 2014
I learned to be patient with others with disabilities and ejoyed learning how to state document
Fun instructing and building relationships.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IANovember 5, 2013
Some schools do not have good discipline systems in place for misbehavior at the middle school level but this is the administrations fault, not the teachers. Check in, go to class and carry out lesson plans. Sometimes it's a little ridiculous when subs are carrying out lesson plans and they often take away your prep period when all the other normal teachers get a break. Overall, decent experience. It's better once you get to building relationships with some of the students but middle school is an award age for any child.
Pros
the schedule, the pay, gained experience learning to communicate assertively.
Cons
behavioral issues, lack of respect for giving a guest a time to break.
work in cafeteria
food service worker (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAOctober 4, 2013
the most enjoyable part of my job is that i felt comfortable at what i didmy coworkers thought i was alittle crazy but they all enjoyed my abilitys at the job and all my experience
Pros
being eith the kids & knowing they were getting feed
Cons
short breaks, personality conflicts
Currently at Children's Village at Hoover: Supportive staff who truly care about the children and families we serve
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAApril 21, 2013
The day typically goes fast and we get a lot done with very busy times being when children are arriving for the day or being pick-up at the end of the day.

I've learned to work through distractions and to multi-task and the importance of listening.

Our staff work well with each other and help each other out when needed. There are occasional disagreements but they are worked out quickly and professionally and do not affect quality of work.

I feel the administrator is knowledgeable about the rules and regulations governing early childhood education both statewide and nationally and she really cares about the service we provide. She does have the best interest of the school at heart. However, she is not always a good communicator and is, at times, unpredictable and that is the hardest part of the job.

What I like best about the job is the variety of duties throughout the day, my co-workers and having young children in the building.
Pros
close-knit group of co-workers.
Cons
less than 8 hours a day and do not work or get paid during holiday breaks

4.3