Davenport University Employee Reviews in United States

Great work place.
LInC Specialist and Technology Tutor (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIMarch 4, 2016
Great work place, great co-workers, great benefits, great management, loved working in the library and loved working with students.
Not a bad place to work but had some challenges
School of Health Internship Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 25, 2016
Davenport went through some changes in Management and in campus locations that kept the staff guessing all the time and a little on edge. I went through that system and was promoted consistently and had excellent annual reviews as the School of Health Internship manager for 90% of Michigan and Northern Indiana as well as on-line. I also spent time teaching every term and did quite well as I was consistently asked to do more.
Pros
Educational environment with great support and left alone to do my jobs.
Cons
Always guessing about which campus would be closing and had way too much work load.
In Decline
Accounting Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 26, 2016
Unfortunately, Davenport is in its 15 year of steady decline as an institution. Recent retirements in leadership may result in a revival of the change needed to turn the situation around.
Pros
In the GR area
Cons
Has not found the formula for steady success yet
Great Company To work for
Field phone calls and assist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 29, 2015
Couldn't have asked to work in a better environment! All faculty was eager to help, and the open door policy was great. I would recommend working in this department for those seeking a stepping stone for their career.
Enjoyed my position
Executive Assistant / Retention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIMay 26, 2016
Enjoyed my position and working with the students.

I received total gratification from seeing students excel within programs when they felt they could not do it.
Very Productive Work Place always exude Great Customer Service.
Library Information Common Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIDecember 9, 2015
Davenport University Library was a great place to work and it gave me an opportunity to super vise and mange library employees. It also taught me what to do when managing the day to day operation of an academic library. I enjoyed my coworkers who always show "Great Customer Service to all the students, staff, faculty and administration. Working with the students gave me an inspiration on a daily basis.
Pros
Supported Professional training, seminars and conferences
Cons
When the budget was cut due to low enrollment.
Change of Vision
Professional Tutor/Substitute Instructor (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIApril 15, 2016
I was a graduate of Davenport University but, instead of promoting within they looked to go outside the university to find managers and executives.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Bias in hiring promotions
Wonderful staff and students
Director of Career Services (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 30, 2016
Davenport University has some of the most wonderful, hardworking staff. Despite many university changes, they are very dedicated to serving Davenport's students.
Work Study
Student Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Holland, MIMarch 22, 2016
Come in, unlock door to offices,turn on phone. Look at calendar for day and pull files for advisors. I would then have the opportunity to work on my homework and what not while waiting for students to come in for appointments.
Great opportunity
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Holland, MIFebruary 10, 2016
My time at DU was great, a work study program is a great learning experience. they really understood and worked with me to create a schedule that fit around my classes and other employment.
Pros
networking, access to resources
Cons
limited amount of hours each week, miniumum wage
Good employees, flexible work environment
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Grand RapidsOctober 21, 2015
The company hires great people but the pay is below market. Workloads are heavy but they allow for work life balance so that helps.
Pros
Flexibility, great employees, great retirement package
Cons
Low pay
Enjoyable and caring place to work.
Records Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 15, 2013
DU also has a student center building that is most accommodating to student and faculty use. It really is very nice. A typical day at work is checking emails, voice messages, then prioritize and handle according to urgency. We have a three tier management team in our department and each one has their own team of employees who specialize in their assigned job responsibilities. There are four coworkers on our team, however, I trained and work closely with only one person of the team. While the other two coworkers have their own projects. Overall, we all work very well together. The hardest part of my job communicating unfavorable news to the students. The most enjoyable part of my job is certifying student enrollment which allows them to receive benefits for continuing their education.
Pros
tuition remission for employees
Cons
overall pay rate appears to be below other universities
Fast-paced environment, in which flexibility and agility is needed
Recruitment Manager (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 17, 2014
-Fast-paced environment in which flexibility is the key
-Learn to juggle many initiatives and priorities simultaneously
-Learn to work with variety of management and management styles as my role interacts with all levels of employees and candidates
-Work hand-in-hand will all facets of HR
-Most enjoyable part of the job is being a part of the "welcoming" of new employees after guiding hiring managers through the recruitment process
Pros
excellent benefit offerings, great team environment
Cons
lacks work/life balance and opportunities to advance
Review
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MINovember 5, 2015
Wonderful place to work. Co-workers were very cordial to work with and everyone helped out when needed. So sorry that the Saginaw campus is closing.
Davenport College was pursuing their status as a University during my time of employment.
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 26, 2015
As an institution for higher learning, the focus was continually on growth and expansion to the university level. The organization had fabulous community support and foundation backing. It was a pleasure working with an institution for higher learning that prided itself in securing employment for its graduates while continuing positive relationships with its alumni and past administration.
Pros
Working with students eager to make their mark in the business world was so rewarding.
Cons
The focus on growth sometimes overshadowed the value of the students enrolled.
it's alright
Admissions Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Warren, MIMay 4, 2014
If you want a job where you work hard for a meager paycheck this is the place to be. you learn a lot by being thrown in the trenches. The training is great, and the promotions are all about numbers, not about who's the most popular, which was nice. Good company, but I would get promoted and get out of there as soon as possible.
Great PTO and benefits!
Call Center Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 10, 2015
Davenport provides great PTO and benefits. Being able to work and receive an education with little to no cost is a great thing.
Excellent University. Professional atmosphere.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 25, 2015
Davenport University strives to provide individualized education experiences in program areas that are relevant to the needs of the workforce.
Davenport is a growing University, but pay and benefits are lower.
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 2, 2015
Davenport has grown from modest beginnings, but like many universities relies on adjuncts to fill needed classes. They talk of treating adjuncts well, but the class availability is spotty and they get turnover due to people moving on to more secure situations.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
pay is low for adjuncts
Du
Office Assistant-Online/Work Study (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 22, 2015
great environment, great people, flexible and supportive. Allowed me to work and attend school. Worked directly with some of the professors to help them grade work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Davenport University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4