Davey Tree Employee Reviews

Stressful always pushing us to work fast but dont get hurt
Arborist (Former Employee) –  Cherokee, NCOctober 20, 2017
I would get to work at 6:30 am fuel equipment up wait on my General Foreman to get there so I could do his job buy getting in his pick-up putting everyone that was there on the time sheets and documenting the equipment that was going to be used that day and how many spans (power line right of way from one pole to another is a span)we had gotten done the day before and figure up how many man hours it took and email all that information to the corporate office before 7:30
While trying to get my day to day tasks done I also had to train new employees and keep up with their training progression in a training booklet that had to be presented every month and documented.
Pros
alot of overtime and storm work
Cons
we topped out at 15.50 in our area other areas like on the coast top out at 25.00 an hr
productive fast paced and great working environment
Groundman (Current Employee) –  Colma, CAOctober 17, 2017
All in all the company was great to work for. Management was acceptional and fellow employees were friendly and outgoing. Jobs were fun and there was never a time where i was sitting around during the day bored, except on lunch when i was ready to get back to work
cool-calm
Trimmer Operator (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, PAOctober 17, 2017
I really liked working for Davey tree, but I had to leave state twice. IT is great because you have a opportunity to go to school and further your experience at arborist skills and lumberjacking.
Pros
overtime
Cons
nothing
Pays the bills.
Tree Climber (Current Employee) –  Felton, CAOctober 2, 2017
Climb and trim trees for the power lines. You learn how to climb, use a chainsaw, maintain your equipment, how to rope limbs, get decent pay, no retirment, basic medical benefits, and you work 8+ hours a day. Ok job. Not a cereer.
Pros
Get to work outside
Cons
No retirements, basic benefits, no 401k, a lot of politics.
Tree Trimmer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 20, 2017
This is a great company yes it is a hard work under the sun hiking up with the trunks when the truck cant go all the way down the hill my respect to all the men doing it as a career byt i do believe that for the job being done the pay should be more reasonable
great work place and good supervisors
utility pole auditor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 24, 2017
Great job opportunity , great place to work if your willing to travel and relocate. fair salary and compensation for travel. overall like with any other job do your work and you will be fine. you do have to produce as with any job.
Pros
salary, work enviorment, travel lodging and compensation.
Cons
travel, contractor, required 50hoursweekly
low pay good culture
Senior Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 24, 2017
Low pay, good culture. Everyone is really relaxed and team building things at corporate are a lot of fun. People like to have a good time but the compensation is extremely low- need to do something about it.
Pros
good culture
Cons
low pay
great work environment
Tree Cutter (Former Employee) –  Suffolk, VAAugust 22, 2017
I enjoyed working outside and the crew I worked with. I'm really good at doing yard labor so the equipment I used was very easy. I also enjoyed working in the woods seeing different things
Very fast paced. Learned the trade in a fast but effective way.
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 18, 2017
Loved it, although management would make me disagree, I loved it. Learn the trade skill and if it takes you far remain in Davey. They take care of their loyal veterans.
Pros
You learn a new skill set the survival of trees and proper pruning.
Cons
Management had no interest in raises.
Great team
Groundsman (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 17, 2017
Enjoy working with this company, team is very helpful in training a new to the business as I was. Management is always there to address and issues that may arise.
Hours vary, Worked every day
Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  Grosse Pointe, MIAugust 11, 2017
I worked everyday while here that was good when i had 10 hour days back to back. Plus the weekly pay on Thursday was great. But hours died down toward the end of the week and as the summer went on the days got shorter and so did my checks. this job can take a huge physical toll even on a young body over time and starts to become not worth the money. Plus its temporary.
Pros
Outdoors, Weekly pay, early morning
Cons
Poor communication from management, varying hours, early days to often, work every day
being outside and working with others in a team
Laborer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INAugust 9, 2017
I enjoyed the outdoors environment and the team of people i worked with. Working around power lines was a little frightening, but a good learning experience once i got used being around the work place daily.
Pros
outdoors
Cons
power lines
Uhhhh
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJuly 29, 2017
The managers only care about themselves and the money coming into the office. Davey is a place to work to get experience before moving on to bigger and better things. There is no room to grow within this company.
Be careful
Assistant general foreman (Former Employee) –  Chiefland, FLJuly 28, 2017
I worked very hard for this company just to be overlooked, and have someone with a tarnished managerial record take the position I was working for!!!!
Pros
Outside
Cons
Completely unappreciated by upper level management like keith horne, marvin hassle, russell brookes
productive and good support
Bucket Truck Driver & Operator (Former Employee) –  Marianna, FLJuly 21, 2017
I liked working there it was exciting and a steady pace .I learned a lot because I knew nothing about tree work training is good and safety is a must.
Pros
Good support
Cons
Benefits take a while to get
Good place to work the pay is not enough
Foreman/treeclimber (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 19, 2017
I like working for Davey Tree but I don't get compensated for the type of work I do it's a fun atmosphere but they need to step into reality and pay the guys what they are worth because you can't find people that is experienced and willing to do this type of job
Great company to work for.
Top Climber/Trimmer (Former Employee) –  ScJuly 11, 2017
The "Day-To Day", may seem to be challenging but usually there are new ideas and techniques implemented. In result, employees may be more capable of performing their jobs safely and accurately with great success and eligibility for advancement in the company. Great work environment, all around great place to work.
Enjoyed my time there
Trimmer (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 29, 2017
Enjoyed working with the Davey crews and learning new techniques management was always on the ball with any equipment requests, ner had any particular problems
Pros
very knowledgeable staff
Cons
outdoor work conditions
competetive
Tree Climber (Former Employee) –  Auburn, CAJune 28, 2017
A typical day at work was arriving at the vehicles and making sure they all ran efficiently and that would be ready for the work day.

I Learned how to do all my knots and got conferrable with my settle and my spikes.
bad pay bad hours
Groundsman (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 20, 2017
you hard but the have their favorites they only give certain ppl overtime and matters the contract you might get rained out so I'm pretty much not happen with them

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Davey Tree. Our community is ready to answer.