David Lerner Associates

David Lerner Associates Employee Reviews

Training was good and starting salary was good.
Investment Advisor (Former Employee), Syosset, NYJuly 24, 2014
Pros: good support staff in the hiring and sponsorship program.
Cons: bad business plan out in the real world
Cold calling prospects to attend seminars.Insurance business not heavily promoted, no support from senior staff other than them splitting your commissions for help or selling you worthless clients
Productive, Professional
Intern (Former Employee), White Plains, NYMay 12, 2014
I would shadow brokers from day to day and do research on REITS. I learned a lot about corporate America, and the mutual funds and bonds market. Management was really good their was no issues. Co-workers were very smart and taught me a lot. The hardest part of the job was creating presentations. The most enjoyable part was that everyone was very easy to work with.
Confidential
Investment Counselor (Former Employee), Syosset, NYApril 29, 2014
Pros: freedom to set own schedule
Cons: taininted reputation, very long hours
I do not wish to publish a review of my experience working for this company online. However I would be happy to in person with an employer/recruiter.
Not a bad start.
Operations, Information Technology (Former Employee), SyossetNovember 4, 2013
The management at DLA is extremely sketchy, but I enjoyed my time there. I was given the opportunity at a very young age and was able to work my way into several different jobs/departments within the company. The office in Syosset is comprised of two buildings. The bigger building houses the highest paid, and hardest working individuals, while the smaller building is the opposite. When I worked in the smaller building, people seemed to enjoy their job less, and complained more, they were lining up at the clocks 10 minutes before it was time to punch out. In the larger building, I barely saw people leave early, and in fact, most people stayed late. I liked working in the larger building more, as it seemed as though my job was more important. All in all, not a bad experience, but I think the experience varies greatly depending on the position you take.
Capable workforce
Investment Counselor (Former Employee), Coral Springs, FLAugust 15, 2013
Attained Series 7 Federal Security License and Series 63 State Security License
Worked extensively with clients on Financial Planning and Implementation
Great training program!
SVP (Current Employee), WestportMarch 24, 2013
Pros: great training and work environment
Cons: support staff leaves something to be desired
Great place to learn how to prospect, close and maintain a great book of business. If you are looking for a career and not a job and are willing to work to be successful this is the place to go!!
Here for over 20 years.
Middle management (Current Employee), Syosset, NYFebruary 13, 2013
There's a reason so many people stay here for so long - great company to work for.
Honesty and integrity in an industry that lacks these characteristics.
Investment Counselor (Former Employee), Princeton, NJFebruary 4, 2013
Pros: settting your own schedule. no ceiling on the amount of income that could be earned.
Cons: life bablance as the job required long hours to be successful.
A typical day at work usually began around 9 am and ended between 7-9 pm based on the # of evening appointmants scheduled. Most of my day consisted of scheduling appointments, managing client accounts and prospecting. This activity sharpened my organizational, telephone, prospecting and sales skills.
As a sales organization we were sharply focused on opening accounts and placing our products to assist clients with long term investment/savings goals. Management was focused on helping us meet our goals and objectives individually and as a company.
My co-workers were a very professional group and easy to work with. Teamwork was not essential but necessary in certain areas. Tag teaming and working as a group hosting branch seminars were a big part of creating business.
Gaining the complete trust of clients and prospecting in an environment/industry that is known for unethical behavior. The acceleration in unethical behavior during tough economical times makes it much more challenging for everyone.
The most enjoyable aspect of the job, by far, was helping clients grow their accounts and make a positive impact on reaching their financial goals.
I love it here
Vice President (Current Employee), Syosset NYDecember 11, 2012
Pros: bagels on fridays, yearly bonus, flexible management
Cons: you have to contribute to healthcare, strict dress code(no jeans)
DLA is a place where you can learn a lot, grow in your job, and become valuable, if thats what you want. It is small enough that you can reach anybody in the company, but large enough that everything does not fall on you. Management truly cares about people, and you never have to fear that you must put a true personal crises over work.
Family run business that treats you like family
Administration (Current Employee), SyossetDecember 7, 2012
Pros: generous spirit, holiday party, summer bbq, bonuses, health/dental insurance.
Cons: too little vacation time.
Lovely people work here and everyone is so nice. Hard work and loyalty is rewarded. There is no room for laziness though. If you are not willing to hustle, this is not the ideal place for you.
Family Run Financial Company
Sales (Former Employee), Syosset, NYSeptember 5, 2012
This company with Poppy at the wheel is an incubater for illegal and corrupt business dealings. FINRA is constantly investigating customer complaints with good reason. Apple Reits are a ripp off where the only gain is seen by the broker. Negative atmophere make for a depressing place to work.

January 28, 2013

As a current employee, I can tell you this comment seems to me like it's coming either from a disgruntled employee or one of these ambulance chasing attorneys. I have been there over 6 years and this couldn't be further from the truth. Be weary of what you read on the internet, it's usually not the truth. This person's comment is just another example of that.

This job was a learning experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Teaneck, NJMay 6, 2012
Pros: the location of the job was close to my house
Cons: did not know enough about reits
Answer the heavy phone volume, handled clients request for checks and fed wires. Processed account transfers and ACATS. Handled IRA distributions

About David Lerner Associates

Founded in 1976, David Lerner Associates is a privately-held broker/dealer with headquarters in Syosset, New York and branch offices – Read more

David Lerner Associates Salaries

Counselor
$45,000 per year

David Lerner Associates Photos

Long Island Philharmonic Summer concerts sponsored by David Lerner Associates Inc.
David Lerner Associates received a citation for the beautification of their buildings.