David Lerner Associates

David Lerner Associates Employee Reviews in United States

Good company to work for
V.P. Investment Counselor (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYJanuary 3, 2016
The only problem with the company is that the reputation makes it difficult to open new accounts. The co-workers are great! There is no typical day. Every day is different. Management does not have an interest in helping first years in succeeding because of the high turnover. The company needs to give new hires a salary for at least 2 years. The most difficult part of the job is opening new accounts and bringing in new business. The Company has unique products and I have learned a lot about the current market.
Pros
Salary first year
Cons
No salary after first year
They Only Want You For Your Friends and Family Business
Investment Counselor (Former Employee) –  New YorkJuly 21, 2015
You're much better off at a big brand B/D like Fidelity, Merrill Lynch, Scwab, Edward Jones, etc... most of these pay you a base salary and have a 3+ year training regime. You also have the benefit, particularly in the case of Merrill Lynch/Bank of America, of walk-in clients or existing clients looking to start or change their investment strategy. I'm not saying new clients will be throwing themselves at your feet, but I would imagine it has to be much better than this. When they're one farming you for your friends and family, they hand the accounts to their favorites and fire you for "lack of production."
Pros
Free licenses you can then take with you elsewhere, great training on what NOT to do.
Cons
Everything else
Purchasing & Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  NYJune 24, 2015
It is a nice place to work. Very nice people, great job security. It feels like a family, but the workplace is very professional. Many branches as well.
Pros
Very enjoyable place to work
Cons
Benefits are alright
Was a nice place to work. People were very friendly.
Administrative/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLFebruary 10, 2015
- Received calls on the branch line and routed to appropriate area.
-Assist all Investment Councilors with various forms and mailings to clients.
-Called and emailed job applicants from Career Builder, Monster, Simply Hired & Career Showcase and invited to our Hiring Seminar
held every 6 weeks.
-Set up interviews with Senior Management. Set up all new hire paperwork.
-Set us up as a Vendor for Street Fairs, Craft Shows, Art Shows,HOA
Fairs, Seminars, anywhere that we can meet people and explain what we do and how we could help with their finances.
-Set up in system all new prospects and invite to dinner seminars.
Pros
flexible hours if needed.
Cons
not knowing how long the job would last(contract)
Training was good and starting salary was good.
Investment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Syosset, NYJuly 24, 2014
Cold calling prospects to attend seminars.Insurance business not heavily promoted, no support from senior staff other than them splitting your commissions for help or selling you worthless clients
Pros
good support staff in the hiring and sponsorship program.
Cons
bad business plan out in the real world
Productive, Professional
Intern (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYMay 12, 2014
I would shadow brokers from day to day and do research on REITS. I learned a lot about corporate America, and the mutual funds and bonds market. Management was really good their was no issues. Co-workers were very smart and taught me a lot. The hardest part of the job was creating presentations. The most enjoyable part was that everyone was very easy to work with.
Not a bad start.
Operations, Information Technology (Former Employee) –  SyossetNovember 4, 2013
The management at DLA is extremely sketchy, but I enjoyed my time there. I was given the opportunity at a very young age and was able to work my way into several different jobs/departments within the company. The office in Syosset is comprised of two buildings. The bigger building houses the highest paid, and hardest working individuals, while the smaller building is the opposite. When I worked in the smaller building, people seemed to enjoy their job less, and complained more, they were lining up at the clocks 10 minutes before it was time to punch out. In the larger building, I barely saw people leave early, and in fact, most people stayed late. I liked working in the larger building more, as it seemed as though my job was more important. All in all, not a bad experience, but I think the experience varies greatly depending on the position you take.
Capable workforce
Investment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLAugust 15, 2013
Attained Series 7 Federal Security License and Series 63 State Security License
Worked extensively with clients on Financial Planning and Implementation
Great training program!
SVP (Current Employee) –  WestportMarch 24, 2013
Great place to learn how to prospect, close and maintain a great book of business. If you are looking for a career and not a job and are willing to work to be successful this is the place to go!!
Pros
great training and work environment
Cons
support staff leaves something to be desired
Here for over 20 years.
Middle management (Current Employee) –  Syosset, NYFebruary 13, 2013
There's a reason so many people stay here for so long - great company to work for.
Honesty and integrity in an industry that lacks these characteristics.
Investment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJFebruary 4, 2013
A typical day at work usually began around 9 am and ended between 7-9 pm based on the # of evening appointmants scheduled. Most of my day consisted of scheduling appointments, managing client accounts and prospecting. This activity sharpened my organizational, telephone, prospecting and sales skills.
As a sales organization we were sharply focused on opening accounts and placing our products to assist clients with long term investment/savings goals. Management was focused on helping us meet our goals and objectives individually and as a company.
My co-workers were a very professional group and easy to work with. Teamwork was not essential but necessary in certain areas. Tag teaming and working as a group hosting branch seminars were a big part of creating business.
Gaining the complete trust of clients and prospecting in an environment/industry that is known for unethical behavior. The acceleration in unethical behavior during tough economical times makes it much more challenging for everyone.
The most enjoyable aspect of the job, by far, was helping clients grow their accounts and make a positive impact on reaching their financial goals.
Pros
settting your own schedule. no ceiling on the amount of income that could be earned.
Cons
life bablance as the job required long hours to be successful.
I love it here
Vice President (Current Employee) –  Syosset NYDecember 11, 2012
DLA is a place where you can learn a lot, grow in your job, and become valuable, if thats what you want. It is small enough that you can reach anybody in the company, but large enough that everything does not fall on you. Management truly cares about people, and you never have to fear that you must put a true personal crises over work.
Pros
bagels on fridays, yearly bonus, flexible management
Cons
you have to contribute to healthcare, strict dress code(no jeans)
Family run business that treats you like family
Administration (Current Employee) –  SyossetDecember 7, 2012
Lovely people work here and everyone is so nice. Hard work and loyalty is rewarded. There is no room for laziness though. If you are not willing to hustle, this is not the ideal place for you.
Pros
generous spirit, holiday party, summer bbq, bonuses, health/dental insurance.
Cons
too little vacation time.
Family Run Financial Company
Sales (Former Employee) –  Syosset, NYSeptember 5, 2012
This company with Poppy at the wheel is an incubater for illegal and corrupt business dealings. FINRA is constantly investigating customer complaints with good reason. Apple Reits are a ripp off where the only gain is seen by the broker. Negative atmophere make for a depressing place to work.

Comment – January 28, 2013

As a current employee, I can tell you this comment seems to me like it's coming either from a disgruntled employee or one of these ambulance chasing attorneys. I have been there over 6 years and this couldn't be further from the truth. Be weary of what you read on the internet, it's usually not the truth. This person's comment is just another example of that.

This job was a learning experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Teaneck, NJMay 6, 2012
Answer the heavy phone volume, handled clients request for checks and fed wires. Processed account transfers and ACATS. Handled IRA distributions
Pros
the location of the job was close to my house
Cons
did not know enough about reits