Daytona State College Employee Reviews

Inclusive environment and diverse staffing
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Daytona BeachOctober 18, 2017
Straight 8-5 workday. Occasional weekend event. I learned a great deal about working in a professional office environment and dealing with customers and stakeholders. Management favors conservative action. Workplace culture is broadly representative of the community. The difficult aspects of the work revolve around meeting the diverse needs of such a wide-ranging and evolving customer base.
Pros
Great benefits and workplace stability
Cons
Lower paying
A nice place to work.
Junior/Part-time student (Current Employee) –  Palm Coast, FLSeptember 18, 2017
Everyone i so nice and always wants to help. and had time to study. I was always on time for classes and the little book shop had everything i needed. i helped with the store a bit but never worked there fully
Supportive Culture
Assistant Baseball Coach (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLSeptember 10, 2017
The athletic department was very supportive of everyone involved. I have never been a part of a more loving and caring environment. I wish i could have stayed there longer.
receptionist
First Impressions Clerk (Former Employee) –  Deltona, FLSeptember 6, 2017
I answered calls, help direct teachers and students, tutor this place was okay it was a work study job so there wasn't much to do.
The job was very slowed paced
Fun place to work.
Reader/Scribe (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLAugust 28, 2017
I would meet special needs students to there classrooms and help them read and write. I enjoyed helping blind and other special needs kids with there daily classes.
Pros
Short days
Cons
Seasonal job
Anatomy & Physiology Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLAugust 9, 2017
I was only an adjunct professor, but I really liked teaching here. No
issues at all. Hours are limited, but it paid well and was a lot of fun. I would recommend this to anyone who likes to teach and have lots of interaction with students.
Pros
Teaching, lots of hands on interaction
Cons
Not many hours
Ok place to work
Office Staff (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLAugust 6, 2017
Ok place to work. Having the extra holiday hours off is nice during the month of December and the extra week off at spring break as well. Benefits are good.
Pros
Benefits and extra time off
Believe in helping
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLAugust 5, 2017
We help students grow in their skills through a series of opportunities to learn via lecture, videos, readings, class discussions, online discussions and various assessment tools.
Pros
Many courses to choose from.
Cons
Students fail due to lack of funds.
Fun place to work with great management
Public Address Announcer (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLAugust 3, 2017
My job within Daytona State College was one to look forward to. I always had to be sure I was paying attention but the work was always enjoyable. My boss was understanding and flexible with my schedule but at the same time held high expectations for me which I did my best to live up to.
Pros
Low stress, fun, flexible
Cons
Low pay, limited hours
Great location and fun place to work
Head Women's Basketball Coach (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJuly 28, 2017
Daytona Beach... what more can you say? The physical environment is obviously nice, but there is a lot more to do in Daytona than go to the beach. It's also a biker town and racing town. Loved it there.

Want to know more about Daytona State College?

Ask a question
Crushed Expectations
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJuly 27, 2017
Although, was a work-study student for 4 years I was not hired by the college. I'm sure that if I was unreliable and didn't do the job I wouldn't have been with the college for that length of time. I rarely if ever called in, was always punctual and attentive to the needs of the students. I manned the desk while many of the staff handled their personal business, wandered around talking to co-workers, made personal phone calls. I'm not bitter, just a little bit disheartened. I thought the college rewarded good behavior. Not really the case.
Pros
Some good people here.
Cons
Work-study students aren't treated the same as employees.
Financial Aid
Regional Financial Aid Specialist (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FL 32114July 5, 2017
Assist students with financial aid questions
Financial compliance and procedure
Prepare financial statements
Assist students with FAFSA
Assist filling out documents
Pros
Excellent customers
Cons
Friendly smile
Great supportive work environment
Instructor Construction Trades and Technology (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLMay 9, 2017
I enjoyed my position at Daytona State College. The college was extremely supportive of my work and did much to ensure my success. I was able to teach classes in Construction Trades and Technology using the online NCCER Curriculum, class lectures and hands on presentations and experiences. The school supported the construction of a class mini house project which was a tremendous success for the students and offered them real life hands on construction experience.
Pros
support
Cons
evening classes long and exhausting
Room for promotion
Vocational Specialist (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLMay 5, 2017
I was promoted from part-time lab tech to full-time Vocational Specialist because of my outstanding performance in my former position. Unfortunately, my job is dependent on a grant which likely will not come through.
Pros
Flexible hours, room for growth
Cons
Job dependent on grant

Comment – May 8, 2017

All in all, DSC is a wonderful atmosphere in which to work, and I hope to continue my career here.

Temporay position for the semester
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Sanford, FLMay 2, 2017
I assisted other students with their writing assignments. This was a part time position for a student, minimum wage, and for the school semester. No benefits, lack of direct supervision or direction, the management was across the county at the main campus. Turnover high in the writing center--even for the full time positions..
Pros
Worked around school schedule
Cons
Management didn't know who you were.
DSC is a great place to work.
Student Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLApril 19, 2017
I enjoy working for DSC. The supervisors are kind and considerate. The job is rewarding because I help students succeed...............................
overall workplace I am able to advance in
Volunteer Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLMarch 30, 2017
I currently volunteer coordinate a Math study group of approximately 10 people during my spare time at Daytona State College. Some of the duties I have are coordinating a schedule that works for all parties of the study group, emailing important messages, documents, projects, accessing and using multiple computer programs assisting in the completion of tasks and also arranging a location suitable for the tasks assigned.
Pros
working with others, always learning something new, and being a productive member
Cons
long nights of hard work and deadlines that seem unreachable
Always be aware
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLMarch 16, 2017
My typical day all depended on what time of the day I was working. If I worked the morning shift then it would be getting to work about 15 minutes early to turn the lights on, unlock the doors and change into my uniform. If I worked in the afternoon then I would be getting ready for the water aerobics class and the mid afternoon rush where I would be watching between 20-30 people at a time. During the evening shift the pool would be slowing down and the swim teams would be coming in to practice. I would usually start to clean up with about 10 minutes before we closed for the evening. Once everyone left I would put all the equipment away and lock the doors and leave to come back the next day.

I learned about how to deal with the public and deal with situation s that sometimes make me uncomfortable, but I learned to deal with them and not be afraid to ask for help.

Management was good about working with me and my schedule so I had time to get ready for class. Also they always made sure if I had an exam then I would be able to change what time I was working so I had time to study.

The hardest part of the job would be when the weather would be bad so their would not be anyone in the pool for multiple hours and you would either clean or sit in the office helping with paper work at the front desk.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when people would come up to me after they finish their swim and say "thank you for watching me", which put a smile on my face and made my day better if I wasn't feeling well or not being excited about working.
Pros
Great co-workers, comfortable working environment, allowed to listen to music
Cons
Not being able to sit for 4 hours at a time
Chalenging work environment
Program Manager - Fire Science (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLMarch 9, 2017
Interesting work in trying to fit fire service culture with college goal of "we sell hope". Lots of latitude to be creative and work with constituencies to define needs and desires.
Pros
great program co-chairs
Cons
cop shop
Loved it here
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLFebruary 13, 2017
I worked as a studen here for 2 years while I got my AS. The people are friendly and very helpful. Loved my time here. I was very sad to go. I would work here again.