Daytona State College Employee Reviews

Slow pace environment, with some positives
Campus Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  main campusJanuary 17, 2017
Excellent opportunity to continue education and impact student culture, state retirement and very slow pace environment.However, very disconnected supervisory staff.
Pros
Great opportunity to continue education
Cons
poor organizational structure
Daytona State is an enjoyable place to work.
Admissions Specialist (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLOctober 20, 2016
The Admissions Department at Daytona State College exhumes a very positive attitude.
My co-worker's attitude helps make the department work smoothly. We welcome the diversity of every student that walks into our office.
Education is the answer to personal and financial growth.
As a semi-retired person I am looking for Part Time position.
Pros
My supervisor is a good leader. Makes us feel as we are contributing to the success of the college.
Cons
I am ready for part time employment and I am currently full time.
Good starter job
Student Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJanuary 7, 2017
A typical day is easygoing, down to earth. Management and coworkers are really friendly to work with and enjoy helping you with employment with you attend classes.
Pros
Good work study opportunities
Cons
Not enough work study opportunities with more hours
My immediate supervisor is super. The students are the best.
ESL teacher (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLSeptember 16, 2015
The minute class begins, we fill in the time with learning. Students roll in at different times due to their employment or other commitments. However, a vocabulary assignment is already on the board waiting for them to tackle. Every day is full of new information for me as well as for them. As they learn their new language, I learn about them and how they learn. This helps me become a better teacher. Management give me autonomy and I thrive on this. It allows me to do a better job by knowing my class will not be disturbed during the seemingly short time we have during the semester. My colleagues are supportive and respectful of each other's style and talents. We all learn from one another.The hardest part of the job is letting the students go at the end of the semester. By that time, we've become a family. On the flip side, it is wonderful and rewarding to know the amount of English they learned in a few short weeks.
Pros
the multinational student body
Cons
multilevel classes, no benefits, too few work hours
Daytona State College
Library Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJune 28, 2016
Working in the Library at Daytona State College has been a great experience and appreciate all I have learned there. Assisting the students would be my favorite activity and having the opportunity to be a leader was a great learning experience. The leadership was as the Career Employee Association and I attended Planning Council Board meetings sharing in the decision making process.
Pros
work environment and healthcare
Loved it here
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLFebruary 13, 2017
I worked as a studen here for 2 years while I got my AS. The people are friendly and very helpful. Loved my time here. I was very sad to go. I would work here again.
Great place
Assessment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLNovember 7, 2016
Great place to work at. Very diverse group of people that help you grow professionally and as a person. I felt a sense of pride in helping students reach their academic goals.
Co-op for school
Software Development Assistant (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLNovember 16, 2016
It was a laid back environment with no higher ups breathing down your neck. Could get boring at times and was not a whole lot of interaction with other employees.
Awesome pace to work!
Administrative Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLOctober 3, 2016
I enjoyed the diversity of duties. Work place environment was always helpful and supportive. I really like working in education.
Investment In Excellence
Learning Specialist (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLMay 30, 2016
While my employment at Daytona State College was temporary and part time, I found it to be a caring and support environment.

The Academic Center was geared towards supporting students in their academic endeavors, as well as helping them to development overall confidence.

Co-workers were knowledgeable and professional.

A typical day included showing students how to use online services, how to research papers, basic computer skills and encouraging older students to become computer literate.
First time teaching was educating.
Adjunct professor for Anatomy and Physiology l (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLApril 27, 2016
My first time teaching was an interesting experience. A typical day was to make your own quiz's and have the class take it before you start the activities. There wasnt any hard aspect to this job. If I had to choose one, it was dealing with certain students that were immature and didn't take college serious. However they didn't last long in the class or program.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Hours, and no job for the summer.
Beneficial
Campus Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLFebruary 10, 2015
- 40hrs a week mostly working 6 to 7 days a week
- Slow and Fast paced setting
- Security Professionalism, CPR, and Safety
- Excellent people, most of the time I am at a remote campus location
- varying schedule from day to day week to week
- Benefits
Pros
Excellent location of workplace
Cons
varying schedule
Fun and engaging.
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLMay 28, 2016
It was a great place to work. The work was engaging, and I was content with my job. My supervisors and coworker were nice. It helped me keep my math skills sharp.
Advancement
Student Accounts Specialist (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLMay 15, 2013
This is a great company but advancment is not what you know....it's who you know. If you are not buddies with the right person then you left out. The will adjust the job the fit who they want.
Benefits
Cons
no way to advance
Fun place for internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLApril 22, 2016
Internship at Daytona State College is a relaxing way to learn new skills while on the job. The skills are presented in a way that you fully understand.
Very positive environment and enjoyable for those many years working with the college
Senior Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLSeptember 18, 2015
Working for so many years in the college i really enjoyed the time with my co-workers.
Wonderful place to work, very positive environment and supportive by management.
Learning process every day with co-workers help and sociable to enjoy the work service providing to our clients.
I loved to work in the college very positive environment, co-workers, clients really enjoyed to work with all of them.
Students and parents were so wonderful specially when I was interpreting to made them feel like home.
Pros
Enjoyed the time in the office.
Cons
Not complained
Daytona State College
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  DeLand, FLMarch 6, 2016
I really loved working for Daytona State College because they were really flexible with my school schedule. Also, my boss was so nice and very lenient when I was a couple minutes late.
Daytona State College is an active and highly populated college campus that spans over six locations. I was able to handle the job with decorum.
Security Guard Officer (Former Employee) –  Palm Coast, FLOctober 13, 2014
A typical day at work entailed patroling of all spaces to ensure the safety and wellbeing of faculty, students and visitors. Additionally, I responded to all incidents and emergiences and other projects, as may be assigned.

I learned and supported managements objective of of valuing and protecting their most important assets - the students. This was accomplished by working cosesively with coworkers and faculty.

Being a "people person", the most important part of the job was fostering a feeling of secuity and confidence.
Pros
On-going training and acknowledgement for superior performance
Cons
There are no Cons
Leaving much to be desired
Student (Former Employee) –  Palm Coast, FLNovember 2, 2015
Classes were geared more toward the younger student. Older students had to find their own way based on their ages. Most of the instructors were adjuncts. Quality of learning was greatly decreased in my opinion due in part to staff not being paid like regular instructors.
Cons
Rushed assignments with little preperation time, Instructors with little to no real preperation before class time started.
a great place to work
Custodian/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLSeptember 11, 2015
a typical day at work is cleaning bathrooms and classrooms collecting trash sweeping and mopping floors.i learned alot about the hispanic culture and there food. both of my co workers are great and we work really good together. setting up for events and then tearing them down. the most enjoyable part is everybody on this campus and the kids
Pros
teachers, coworkers students
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Daytona State College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2