DC Housing Authority Employee Reviews

Just started with company
Freelance Sub-Contractor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 27, 2017
Drywall hanging, taping, blocking, skimming, sanding, priming, painting, and pointing up drywall; provided excellent customer service; and professional demeanor. Managed in my own business; other management learned in college and received my Bachelors degree in Construction Management.
Pros
1 hour for lunch. Most jobs half hour.
Cons
come from painters union
good place to work
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington Na, DCJune 20, 2017
This was a good work place,.other personnel are good to work with, hour of work is great, the ten years i work there was enjoyable, I was proud to serve the citizen of the District of Columbia. I mostly supervised the new personnel. I came from the Metropolitan Police Dept and brought my experience with me. being aware of your surrounding. the most enjoyable part of the job is fellowship.
Pros
good leave policy
Cons
some time long hours
Was a great place
Receptionist (Internship) (Former Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCJune 18, 2017
They are changing every single day. Bringing in new employees that are changing the environment. I used to love this place. Now its hurts my soul just to come to work.
Productive and Fun
Special Police Officer (Armed) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 19, 2017
A typical day at work was unpredictable because I was working in a Housing Projects.

I learned how to interact with different types of people such as criminals, people with Mental Illness, Housing residents, and children. Also by treating everyone with respect .

Management was pretty fair and helpful, sometimes miscommunication.

Workplace Culture was mostly blacks, with a few Caucasian's as well.

The hardest part of the job was seeing people injured such as being shot or assaulted by someone.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working well with co-workers.
Pros
Discounts on Lunches
Cons
Short breaks, relief comes to work late sometimes
Very Productive
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 2, 2017
Very professional and never a dull moment. Assisting customer with obtaining housing and self-sufficiency along with various division within agency.
Pros
Assisting clients to overcome barriers
Cons
In need of behavioral health administrative
Fast Paced workplace.
Staff Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 15, 2016
Very fast paced. I enjoyed working with Residents. Supporting the residents and staff were the top priorities within this position and I loved it. The management wasn't the best, but the job itself was very fulfilling and fun. The co-workers were all very nice, team oriented and passionate about their job duties.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Only 30 minute lunch break
Productive and informative
Community Specialist Consultant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 15, 2016
The Job is great to connect with others and gain viewpoint from residences. I work directly with the Director, which is a great experience. I have the opportunity to help placed people in better positions.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
It teaches you alot about politics.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 12, 2016
It to much blending jobs. Nothing is confidential. The pay is not great either. You have to be in the loop for advancement. The company treats the security like cops an treat the cops like security.
Busy & Unpredictable Work Enviorment.
Housing Program Assistant (Current) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 18, 2016
I work for DC Housing Authority, so a typical day for me can be dealing with a emotional client about to loose housing,
or assisting someone coming from a shelter to find housing or receive a new voucher. I even assist landlords with payments and or landlord and tenant mediation. So when I say my job is unpredictable, it's very unpredictable. I love working with people and my agency DC Housing also does a lot of giving back to the youth as well as our senior residents. The hardest part about my job is loosing a tenant with kids in a tragic matter, and the most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help our tenants in any way shape or form to get them housed.
Good Place to work
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCApril 2, 2016
The atmosphere is great and benefits. Its somewhere you would want to retire. You have everything you need to do the job and people that is willing to sacrifice for the cause for helping others
Benefits
Cons
retirement
Hazardous working conditions
Housing Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 9, 2016
Every property is in an area that is challenged. The residents are appreciative of you when you are professional and helpful. Management has a lot to be desired,
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Promotion potential is contingent upon who you know
Poor professional fit
Director of Public Affairs and Communications (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 18, 2015
After being in the private sector for the majority of my professional career, working at the housing authority was too much of a difference in culture for me.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Bad professional fit
Providing assistants
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington DCApril 23, 2015
Helping tenants with making payments tgo there accounts. Enjoyable work place overall. I learned good professional skills.
DCHA review
Special Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 18, 2014
Reporting to assigned post on time and securing complex for the evening and early morning hours between 11pm and 7am.
Wonderful supervisors on the watch office shift; and management running the Office of Public Safety.
Assisting residents in need with safety concerns was a enjoyable task.
Pros
good job security
Very fun and adventorous
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 25, 2014
My typical day at work would involve me and my group of 7 kids i had to work with for the rest of the summer. We would take the kids out to the movies on Wednesday and fridays at 9 a.m. and by 12 p.m on Wednesday we would take them to the pool after their movie. By 3 p.m everyday they would have play time outside and then group closure and they would go home by 5 p.m.
Pros
Fun Kids, Free lunch
Cons
kids sometimes get out of hand
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 8, 2014
Contact Land lords and tenants on rents received and add pro-rated rent according to rule and regulation.
Productive at work
Summer Laborer/Maintenance Support (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 30, 2014
the most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and you stay busy
Pros
meet new people
Cons
working in all types of weather
good job
groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 24, 2014
hardest part of the job is going back over your work constantly .
The most enjoyable part of the job is that you work outside and your breaks long
Pros
good breaks
Cons
requires alot of energy
Business only
Summer Job, Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 11, 2014
This hob was a summer job, by my experience I would recommend it to others. I personally only enjoyed the administration work force for some reason. The hardest part of the job was cleaning the buildings; scrubbing apartment building walls. My co workers were teen around my age or younger or either the employee maintenance workers. I learned that office work is not to be played around with. It takes organization, availability, focus, effort, and hard work.
Pros
Experience in office environment
Cons
Cleaning walls
Housing Manager Assistant
Housing Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 27, 2013
I worked with tenants on a daily basis during my work with the Authority. I learned to handle lots of unruly tenants with patience and respect, which was sometimes a difficult task to accomplish. Throughout my time with DCHA all my tenants eventually learned to also show respect towards me and my work! Management depended on my ability to take care of tenants needs and attitudes that were within my power. The best part was knowing I made a big difference in delivering a positive impact on the quality of life for most of my 235 tenants. Sad to say, that the worst part for me was the rough neighborhood within I worked.
Pros
Delivering a positive attitude to unruly tenants
Cons
The rough part of town I worked