DC PUBLIC LIBRARY

DC PUBLIC LIBRARY United States Employee Reviews

Library Associate (Current Employee), Washington, DCAugust 18, 2014
A typical day at work involves locating and organizing books that customers have placed on hold, managing the reference desk, helping patrons find books and information, assisting patrons with computer related questions, and planning and implementing various library programs. I've learned a lot about customer service and how to read and adjust to the specific needs of each patron. I also love learning about new books and the public's response to them.
The Worst Place I Ever Worked
2 much information (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 29, 2014
Pros: educational resources, hours and locations
Cons: management, nepotism, cronyism, bad attitudes, managers speaking to staff in nasty tones, and employee mental conditions (unchecked)
A typical day at work is listening to staff complain about lack of employee morale. Managers do literally nothing all day but run back and forth laughing and gossiping with one another behind closed doors. Salaries are not proportionate to work performed. The hardest working employees are the ones who are never promoted because of all the nepotism and cronyism that runs rampant in all DC Government agencies.

Although I enjoyed my job and many of my colleagues, there were many employees that came through the back door which made it very hard to work with people who were clearly not qualified for the positions.

Not sure about the positive reviews, everyone who has ever worked there and currently work there complain fiercely about the way staff is treated so poorly.

The only good and positive thing I can write about the library is that it is a nice, informative place to visit, but I would not want to work there again.
Working with the staff
Administrative Technician (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 15, 2013
Pros: all holidays off
Cons: working on the weekends
Files books and other library materials as well as processing employee online time keeping

Assists customers in locating library materials using the online catalog system

Train people on Excel and other programs and work schedules, type reports each month.

The Supervisor of the Volunteer Services Department.

Ordered all the material for each staff member
Answer telephone
The workplace would be better if they have employee incentives
Library Technician (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 1, 2013
I enjoyed helping and assisting customers.
Meeting new people and networking.
On the job
Library Police Officer (Current Employee), Washington,DCMarch 5, 2013
I start my tour off in the roll call room with 15 other officer's and a supervisor. After I receive my duty assignment it's off to the races.
I patrol 7 libraries in a PSA (location of Patrol) I run calls from disorderly conduct to drugs are being sold on library property. Some people won't even want a job like this but I have the passion for it . I enforce law to help our great city stay peaceful 100%.
Summer Job
Summer Youth Employee (Former Employee), DCSeptember 8, 2012
This was only a summer job only available through DC summer employment program
LIBRARY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 24, 2012
Pros: relaxing dresscode, good people
Cons: night schedule
A nice place to work, good people, possibilities to move upward