DC Public Schools

DC Public Schools Employer Reviews

Exciting and fulfillling employment with great colleagues
Instructional Coach (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 12, 2014
Pros: creative implementation of instruction
Cons: constantly changing instructional staff
Each morning would start with a visit to check teacher lesson plans for that day. I possessed the overall unit plan, so I was checking the pace of instruction. By 9 am I started my rotation to visit classrooms and assist teachers in a predetermined area: modeling, observation, co-teaching, or checking for engagement. After my visits, teachers would – more... get feedback and we would set up our next course of action.

In addition to this, I would work with district planners on the implementation of the Common Core standards. With this decision made, I would co-write the presentation with another Instructional Coach from origin to the finished presentation. Once back at my assigned area of schools, I would facilitate the workshop for the administrators and teachers. – less
Manipulative
Current Worker (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 30, 2014
Sucks a lot. They will hire for on e position and make you work at another with no compensation for it.
I enjoyed teaching library skills to students from pre-k thru 12th grade.
School Librarian (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 4, 2014
Pros: i was allowed considerable freedom in teaching various topics.
Cons: the lack of a school wide discipline policy affected the library program.
One major problem with the library program is that the school librarian was expected to handle classes as a planning time for teachers. Unfortunately, this did not allow students to use the library for research purposes and allow them to move freely in the library.
Also, the lack of a school wide policy on student conduct with teachers and staff affected – more... the library program. This program did not allow librarians to handled the management and collection aspects needed to run a library. – less
Productive environment
Computer Lab Program Facilitator (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 22, 2014
Pros: great learning environment, excellent staff
Cons: part-time job
I enjoyed working here. The staff was friendly and the work was interesting. I managed all the computers in the school under the supervision of Ms. Payat. She was a most interesting person to work with. I installed software and repaired hardware for multiple computer brands and models.
Working in DC
Teacher/Mentor (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 17, 2014
Pros: i love children
Cons: helping those teachers who were struggling was sometimes challenging.
While working in DC, I taught Business to grades 7-9 and in Elementary School I served as a Math Resource Teacher. In my final years I was a mentor for first and second year teachers. I also tried to help struggling teachers who were about to lose their jobs.

I retired June 22,2007.
Working with the children.
Information Technology Therapist Specialist (Former Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: you was always around alot of children, close to 600 to 700 a day.
Cons: it's really a mental challenge dealing with so many personalities in one day.
School started at 8:00am, but you had to report to work by 7:00am. The children always brought a smile on my face and the teachers was so pleasant to work with. Challenging part was dealing with the personalities of some parents. I learned from the children to always have a open mind and heart.
Run for the hills unless you're a teacher
Educational Aide (Former Employee), Washington, DCNovember 20, 2013
Pros: help children succeed, have all fed holidays off
Cons: no break if you're in a tools of the mind class, extremely low wages, have to use leave for winter or spring breaks, principals are a-holes
They amp you up for a successful school year but they fail to tell you that you will be treated like something that just fell off of the trash truck. They don't even tell you how much you're getting paid until you're about to sign your contract and the wages are extremely low even with a BA. You don't get paid during the breaks so you're stuck working – more... while the teachers and principals are off enjoying their winter or spring breaks. – less
Needs improvement
school counselorI (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 14, 2013
Pros: great benefits, great co-workers
Cons: does not care about ist employes as much as it should
Great experience, satisfied with helping students. Turnover in the
last 10 years, Not satisfied with the turnoverner. They could do better. Did not have enough resources./could improve on management skills.
Good
Custodial Worker (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 21, 2013
Pros: great lunch hours, flexibility
I had a routine to follow in order to accomplish my tasks for the day. My tasks included (but not limited to) pulling trash, sweeping and mopping the facility, cleaning surfaces and preforming minor repairs. the hardest part was laying carpet; several days straight on the knees. I enjoyed being employed therefore making the best out of any situation. – more... I like to turn opsticle into opportunities. – less
Fun Place
Custodian (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 6, 2013
Cons: bad kids
Enjoyable days at work around growing children. The days are never dull, always activities. The hardest part of the job is there is not one. The most enjoyable part is the atmosphere.
ugh
Life Science Teacher, Rose Hardy Middle School (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 26, 2013
teaching is very hard. I don't know what other school districts are like, but DCPS is the pits. Parents either dont care or think they know better than the teachers. Admin is just trying to prevent anything that will put their name in the news. Work here if you hate feeling like you've accomplished something with your time or you don't care.
Good place to start your career
French Teacher at Hardy M.S (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 14, 2013
Pros: depending of the school, teachers are very helpful to each others.
Cons: constant fighting between the union and the school system
Good place to work with high paying job. The school system has not yet adjusted to the management style of the administrators.
Educational environment
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 18, 2013
● Conducted an organized class.
● Instructed students from a range of ages 3 – 24 years of age in a large realm of subjects in , math, reading, spelling, library and Spanish.
Great Environment - Regular Issues
High School Math Teacher (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 20, 2013
Pros: compensation, union
DCPS does a great job of taking care of its educators. The "issues" here are no different than any other urban setting.
A Day At Work
Teacher Aide (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 19, 2012
When a child has accomplish their goal in Reading or Math in a day to share their thoughts with there classmates.Comprehend the task force to help us define a vision for what you're experience and what you think you needs to do.By being direct to carry out on a business affairs.Co-workers assist, motivate, and supporters.Hardest part of a job when I – more... don't meet the timeline of my project I am working on.When everyone is on one accord to teach the children what is need to be taught and being a parent to them everyday. – less
School Bus Driver
School Bus Driver/ Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCNovember 28, 2012
Pros: pay, dc gov. benifits
Cons: split work schedule doing work week
I love this job just was at point of change in career no advancement options there and felt the need to do more in life.
Extremly productive and innovative place to work
Professional School Counselor (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 31, 2012
DC Public schools is committed to the advancement of all students
Contracted position to audit student count
Auditor (Former Employee), Washington DCAugust 19, 2012
Pros: understanding dc public school funding, working in groups
Cons: short term, low pay
This position required individuals to perform headcount of DC Public school students. Each student was counted in the class and then checked against a master list to confirm DC residency and enrollment. DC Public school funding is based upon the number of studnets in the class.
Require working with the public
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 21, 2012
Pros: a lot of great information
Cons: they laid people off a lot
I enjoyed working with the public making sure they received my full attention when they camed in for help.
great place to work if you like working with children with special needs
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 5, 2012
The kids make you want to come back daily. I love working with children and senior citizens..People with disabilities I have the time and patience for.