DC Public Schools Employee Reviews

very exciting place to work
School Nurse (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 12, 2017
very exciting and challenging environment to work with children form different countries, ethnicity cultural and religious background. Also provided opportunities for professional growth.Had an opportunity to understand child/immunizations, being the only medical staff to work with about 700 students and dealing with unexpected emergencies.
A typical day of work started with student coming from home directly to the health suite. The most common complains were upset stomach or not having breakfast at home. There were a lot of kids who suffered from psychological abuse or neglect from parents. .. There was also some form of medical neglect or medical follow up that was recommended by the medical professionals. Parents brought medicine to school without Doctor's orders.
Great Team Work
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCMay 9, 2017
Plummer Elementary School has a great team of professionals that are dedicated to assisting children with their learning scales. Exciting environment to work, no day is the same.
Productive and great work culture!!
UELIP (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Central OfficeMarch 31, 2017
DCPS is a great school district to intern with! I love it and I've learned so much and met so many wonderful people!! My internship is coming to and end soon but it's been tough for me to get a job its highly competitive!
A great atmosphere to work in.
Instructional Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Anacostia senior high schoolMarch 27, 2017
I found that over the years that I've worked in the school system that it was indeed a joy and an honor to be able to serve the young people of the district of Columbia daily.
I enjoyed having the autonomy to be able to teach our young people many things that they needed to know to make sure that their education would be successful.
DC Public Schools is unique.
Pros
The set up of the schedule
Cons
No elevator
High Pay, High Expectations
Educator/Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 27, 2017
Working for DCPS is a great financial decision. Be prepared to deal with politics and bureaucracy in order to receive high evaluation scores and upward mobility.
Decent place to work
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 25, 2017
I enjoyed working the 11 years in DC Public Schools. It has taught me a lot and I was able to train and teach many children in the DC area. Typical day at work is coming in early and some schools are different than others. I was able to teach all ages and all subjects. I
Cons
healthcare, benefits, standing on feet, break times come and go
Dcps
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 8, 2016
Love my place of employment. I am looking for another job only to advance my skills in my job profession. I am currently a paraprofessional in DCPS and would like to advance my skills and become a teacher.
Not a very good place to work. They don't value Parapro
Para Pro (Current Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCOctober 26, 2016
They do great during hiring process. However, After being hired, they show the other side of the coin. In the first place, Para pros don't get 10 months of work as they agree in the on board session because DCPS don't pay for winter and Summer breake unless Para pros go to the school during those days even if there are not teachers nor students. Otherwise, you are on your own because you don't get paid. On the other hand, it is "Mandatory" to attend APTT meetings out of the working hours without getting paid. If you are bilingual, poor you because they will use you in all the different ways they can without any extra money. I've been translator, l write letters to communicate with parents, I translate all the material in my classroom which is not my job. I am an Para pro not a teacher. When all come to be about work and responsabilities, they treat you as a teacher. But, when is about benefits, like Winter and Spring break, they remind you that you are not. Not even they pay us for Black Friday. We have to go "work" without teachers and students. Teachers get a annual bonus, but no para pros, even if we make many things to happen in the classroom and the child progress. And the para pros' union only gets your money because they don't fight for everythin I mentioned. To me is my worst experience of work I ever had. I've worked for poorer districts in the US that paid for everything I do. I am very, very disappointed.
Pros
You have a job
Cons
No paid breaks
Good place to work depending on the school
Instructional Facilitator & Coach (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 26, 2016
I enjoyed my time with this school system, but I know many of my colleagues' experiences differed from mine. I included pros and cons from both perspectives.
Pros
Merit pay for those in fair situation for fair evaluations and lots of room for upward mobility
Cons
TFA saturation makes the school system too corporate, and as a result there is lack of experience and expertise at all levels in the school system.
Loving working with at risk children and young adults
DCPS SUPERVISOR YOUTH GANG TASK FORCE (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 27, 2016
Loving for dcps for 25 years co workes were great people in the schools were helpfull no problems the schools were run a lot better back then. Communtes were always invold with the schools
Pros
Cons
More money
Good pay, good benefits
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 24, 2016
Good pay, good benefits, and a nice place to work if you really want to change kid's lives. Work relationships can be challenging at times, but that is true of most places.
Flexible and fun work environment!
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 29, 2016
I love it here! I enjoy working in DC I really feel like I'm making a difference here. I've been able to utilize all the all the skills I've acquired and I really feel appreciated
great enviroment
Behavior Technician (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 2, 2016
Great experience, great colleagues. gain experience needed, development and advancement opportunities to those that want to grow.,
DCPS is a good place to work.
Special Education Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 15, 2016
DCPS was very helpful in strengthening my skills and understanding of the special education population. I learned how to be a leader, a better organizer and an understanding administrator. The hardest part of the job was interacting with principals that don't understand the sensitivity of the special education population. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with related services providers in the special education department and learning all areas of the children we serve.
Pros
working with parents, teachers and students
Cons
hours aren't flexible and no overtime pay
Overall experiences were very rewarding.
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 19, 2016
I have learnt the art and necessity of being patient and understanding in dealing with problems from a wholestic perspective. The most enjoyable part of the job was in teaching both parents and students the art of problem solving and stress management.
All work no time for anything else
Special Police Officer and Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 4, 2015
My day at work was the normal. The hardest part was working by myself for 12 hours a day 5 days a week and when multiple alarms came in at the same time but, I learned how to multitask. My co-workers were ok they worked in the streets patrolling.
Pros
Cons
no break at times
productive place to work
Food Worker (Former Employee) –  washington dcOctober 20, 2015
this was a fun place to work and I enjoyed serving lunch to students in grades 5-8..... The management itself was very professional and helpful
Productive environment
High School Counselor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 11, 2015
I just reviewed DC Public Schools. As I stated, it is a great place to work. There is a good worl life balance due to the hours of the school day,holidays and teacher prep days observed.
Exhausting place to work at...
Elementary Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 6, 2015
Great colleagues. Inefficient, incompetent, administrators. Too many "initiatives" that are not piloted or implemented with fidelity; not enough professional development; no respect for human capital. Workplace colleagues are the best and one of the only reasons a teacher can continue to work in Education.
Pros
Children
Cons
Central Administration
Traveling from school to school gives you a chance to experience different types of environments.
Paraprofessional & Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 1, 2015
A typical classroom environment. Must be prepared for anything when it comes down to students. Very fun getting to meet the parents. Working with administration and staff is wonderful. They are very helpful.
Pros
Parental interactions were great.
Cons
If students are not prepared, you must provide supplies.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DC Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

DC Public Schools Reviews by Location