DC Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

DCPS is a good place to work.
Special Education Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 15, 2016
DCPS was very helpful in strengthening my skills and understanding of the special education population. I learned how to be a leader, a better organizer and an understanding administrator. The hardest part of the job was interacting with principals that don't understand the sensitivity of the special education population. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with related services providers in the special education department and learning all areas of the children we serve.
Pros
working with parents, teachers and students
Cons
hours aren't flexible and no overtime pay
Overall experiences were very rewarding.
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 19, 2016
I have learnt the art and necessity of being patient and understanding in dealing with problems from a wholestic perspective. The most enjoyable part of the job was in teaching both parents and students the art of problem solving and stress management.
All work no time for anything else
Special Police Officer and Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 4, 2015
My day at work was the normal. The hardest part was working by myself for 12 hours a day 5 days a week and when multiple alarms came in at the same time but, I learned how to multitask. My co-workers were ok they worked in the streets patrolling.
Pros
Cons
no break at times
productive place to work
Food Worker (Former Employee) –  washington dcOctober 20, 2015
this was a fun place to work and I enjoyed serving lunch to students in grades 5-8..... The management itself was very professional and helpful
Productive environment
High School Counselor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 11, 2015
I just reviewed DC Public Schools. As I stated, it is a great place to work. There is a good worl life balance due to the hours of the school day,holidays and teacher prep days observed.
Exhausting place to work at...
Elementary Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 6, 2015
Great colleagues. Inefficient, incompetent, administrators. Too many "initiatives" that are not piloted or implemented with fidelity; not enough professional development; no respect for human capital. Workplace colleagues are the best and one of the only reasons a teacher can continue to work in Education.
Pros
Children
Cons
Central Administration
Traveling from school to school gives you a chance to experience different types of environments.
Paraprofessional & Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 1, 2015
A typical classroom environment. Must be prepared for anything when it comes down to students. Very fun getting to meet the parents. Working with administration and staff is wonderful. They are very helpful.
Pros
Parental interactions were great.
Cons
If students are not prepared, you must provide supplies.
Good Job To Have
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 25, 2015
Principles and Staff are very nice and the kids are wonderful. Breaks are a little short but they are worth it. Overall this is a great place to work.
Great Place with Great People
IT Specialist Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 13, 2015
DCPS is a wonderful place to work. The people are friendly there is wonderful camaraderie. The work is always changing which makes every day exciting and new challenges are welcomed with open arms.
The Principals Lie on You and get away with it
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 28, 2015
Unfortunately,

I have learned while working with DC Public schools, its all about politics. It doesn't matter how great of a worker or how smart you are, how much of an asset you are to the agency, you will be impacted out simply because the principal doesn't like how much attention you're getting or how you dress. Its a sad case. And when you try to appeal your impact score the principals will lie on you and get away with it!! Don't work here...Ive seen some of the best people get impacted out because of the lying insecure pricipals
Pros
You have a job
Cons
POLITICS, POLITICS, POLITICS!!
See review below
School Counselor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 10, 2015
A typical day at work began with a 30 minute staff mtg. 3 times a week from 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. to discuss internal & external issues, strategies and procedures that affect children's learning styles, development, changes in testing procedures, etc. Scheduled Meetings with parents (some emergency, not scheduled) on a daily basis. Individual and group counselling sessions with students. Monitored and evaluated graduate students from Georgetown and GW University during their Internship Program In Professional School Counselling. Trained other students to become Peer Mediators. Served on our Administrative team and had to make very difficult decisions when it came to consequences for disciplinary actions. Had to coordinate and provide numerous presentations to both students, faculty and parents. Responsible for placing students in the top 7 ranking schools in Washington, D.C. with a 97% placement rate. The most enjoyable part of my job was shaking student's hands as they walk across stage to receive their HS diplomas and to hear all of their accomplishments & awards that they received for their hard work over a 4 year period of time. Also witnessing the growth, maturity and commitment in the lives of these students.
Fun work place
Bus Attendant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 5, 2015
I enjoy working to help others. I been in the school system for some time now, enjoy making change for the better.i hope I get the chance to work with the Friendship family. I have to daughter that been in the family of Friendship school since they were 10, now they both graduate and went to colloge.
A great place to work
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 18, 2015
committed to closing the achievement gap between students
I've learned how to reach and teach every child
great colleagues and co-workers
The most enjoyable part of my job is making a difference in the lives of children.
Pros
Long holiday breaks
Cons
none really
Engaging, competitive work environment
Transitional Case Manager/Location Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 29, 2015
Great opportunity to build data skills with young educated professionals competing to improve the daily educational lives of student residing in the District of Columbia
Challenging but a great career if you love children.
7th/8th Grade Social Studies Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 13, 2015
Learning is a life long process. I'm proud to say that I have helped a large amount of students understand that. The best reward a teacher can get is to have a former student tell you years later that they truly appreciated everything you've done for them. Especially if at the time you taught them their actions said the opposite.
Decent Salary but Horrible Culture and low job security
5th Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 19, 2015
In my experienced opinion, DCPS is not a good place to work! They lure you in with the best teacher salary in the DMV but once you're through the 6-7 step hiring process you are exposed to a bad culture and unreasonable teacher expectations. While I believe the extremely low student performance in DC can improve it has only increased a slight bit under the policies of the current, former chancellors and the chief of human capital. When they took over DCPS was the 50th worst school district in the U.S. and now in 2014 it is still the 50th worst school district as it relates to K-12 achievement (source: Education Week). I "chose" to leave DCPS after being an employee for 3 years because I lost faith in the Chancellor's and her staff's ability to create polices that foster student achievement. In addition, the level of dysfunction which included missed pay dates to solely blaming teachers for poor student performance to not hold parents accountable for their students education became too much. My advice: Take less and be happier!
Pros
decent salary
Cons
everything else
Awesome Place of Employment
Cluster Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 5, 2015
Working in the field of management and transitioning into this position has allowed for a great impact on each student I have worked with.
Productive work place
Technology Teacher, K - 5th Grade (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 20, 2014
DC Public Schools was an productive workplace where I formed lifetime friendships with my colleague and I established an respectable relationship with my student that was eagered to learn technology in the classroom. The most enjoyable part about teaching kids from pre-k to 5th grade, was to see the love and joy on their faces. It's not a lot of young positive African American male who attended DC Public School who have become teachers, that are teaching in the public school systems now. Children gravitate to someone who have experienced their challenges. The hardest part part of teaching technology in the public school system is time. When the special is over, children become upset that they can't continue learning technology. Today I'm proud how technology have been integrated in the classroom by the use of promethean boards, smart boards and even portable devices.
Pros
training classes, workshops, technology upgrades
Cons
people breaking into schools
nice
Long-Term Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 20, 2014
Very Nice, I like Indeed.com

teach kids

love management,

love co-wokers

love DC

free donuts.
Pros
dc is cool
Cons
i just don't remeber much
Exciting and fulfillling employment with great colleagues
Instructional Coach (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 12, 2014
Each morning would start with a visit to check teacher lesson plans for that day. I possessed the overall unit plan, so I was checking the pace of instruction. By 9 am I started my rotation to visit classrooms and assist teachers in a predetermined area: modeling, observation, co-teaching, or checking for engagement. After my visits, teachers would get feedback and we would set up our next course of action.

In addition to this, I would work with district planners on the implementation of the Common Core standards. With this decision made, I would co-write the presentation with another Instructional Coach from origin to the finished presentation. Once back at my assigned area of schools, I would facilitate the workshop for the administrators and teachers.
Pros
creative implementation of instruction
Cons
constantly changing instructional staff