DC Public Schools

DC Public Schools Employer Reviews

Run for the hills unless you're a teacher
Educational Aide (Former Employee), Washington, DCNovember 20, 2013
Pros: help children succeed, have all fed holidays off
Cons: no break if you're in a tools of the mind class, extremely low wages, have to use leave for winter or spring breaks, principals are a-holes
They amp you up for a successful school year but they fail to tell you that you will be treated like something that just fell off of the trash truck. They don't even tell you how much you're getting paid until you're about to sign your contract and the wages are extremely low even with a BA. You don't get paid during the breaks so you're stuck working – more... while the teachers and principals are off enjoying their winter or spring breaks. – less
Needs improvement
school counselorI (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 14, 2013
Pros: great benefits, great co-workers
Cons: does not care about ist employes as much as it should
Great experience, satisfied with helping students. Turnover in the
last 10 years, Not satisfied with the turnoverner. They could do better. Did not have enough resources./could improve on management skills.
Good
Custodial Worker (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 21, 2013
Pros: great lunch hours, flexibility
I had a routine to follow in order to accomplish my tasks for the day. My tasks included (but not limited to) pulling trash, sweeping and mopping the facility, cleaning surfaces and preforming minor repairs. the hardest part was laying carpet; several days straight on the knees. I enjoyed being employed therefore making the best out of any situation. – more... I like to turn opsticle into opportunities. – less
Fun Place
Custodian (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 6, 2013
Cons: bad kids
Enjoyable days at work around growing children. The days are never dull, always activities. The hardest part of the job is there is not one. The most enjoyable part is the atmosphere.
ugh
Life Science Teacher, Rose Hardy Middle School (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 26, 2013
teaching is very hard. I don't know what other school districts are like, but DCPS is the pits. Parents either dont care or think they know better than the teachers. Admin is just trying to prevent anything that will put their name in the news. Work here if you hate feeling like you've accomplished something with your time or you don't care.
Good place to start your career
French Teacher at Hardy M.S (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 14, 2013
Pros: depending of the school, teachers are very helpful to each others.
Cons: constant fighting between the union and the school system
Good place to work with high paying job. The school system has not yet adjusted to the management style of the administrators.
Educational environment
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 18, 2013
● Conducted an organized class.
● Instructed students from a range of ages 3 – 24 years of age in a large realm of subjects in , math, reading, spelling, library and Spanish.
Great Environment - Regular Issues
High School Math Teacher (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 20, 2013
Pros: compensation, union
DCPS does a great job of taking care of its educators. The "issues" here are no different than any other urban setting.
A Day At Work
Teacher Aide (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 19, 2012
When a child has accomplish their goal in Reading or Math in a day to share their thoughts with there classmates.Comprehend the task force to help us define a vision for what you're experience and what you think you needs to do.By being direct to carry out on a business affairs.Co-workers assist, motivate, and supporters.Hardest part of a job when I – more... don't meet the timeline of my project I am working on.When everyone is on one accord to teach the children what is need to be taught and being a parent to them everyday. – less
School Bus Driver
School Bus Driver/ Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCNovember 28, 2012
Pros: pay, dc gov. benifits
Cons: split work schedule doing work week
I love this job just was at point of change in career no advancement options there and felt the need to do more in life.
Extremly productive and innovative place to work
Professional School Counselor (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 31, 2012
DC Public schools is committed to the advancement of all students
Contracted position to audit student count
Auditor (Former Employee), Washington DCAugust 19, 2012
Pros: understanding dc public school funding, working in groups
Cons: short term, low pay
This position required individuals to perform headcount of DC Public school students. Each student was counted in the class and then checked against a master list to confirm DC residency and enrollment. DC Public school funding is based upon the number of studnets in the class.
Require working with the public
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 21, 2012
Pros: a lot of great information
Cons: they laid people off a lot
I enjoyed working with the public making sure they received my full attention when they camed in for help.
great place to work if you like working with children with special needs
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 5, 2012
The kids make you want to come back daily. I love working with children and senior citizens..People with disabilities I have the time and patience for.
Boiler plant operator
Boiler Plant Operator (Roving) (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 2, 2012
Pros: work continue on the up keep of the boilers, for proper operation
Cons: ok
Work with roving team, daily inspection of boilers an plants. Repair as need. Prepare for inspection.
Financial Office for DC Public Schools
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 25, 2012
Great team of co-workers. We all assisted one another in the training process of their complex financial computer program.
Life Long Learning Experience. The opportunity to meet students from all walks of life. Worked with Congressional and Attorneys as Mentors.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 18, 2012
Pros: constant training and promotion potential
Cons: excellent healthcare and paid leave
Working at Stevens Elementary School was a great experience.
Had the opportunity to meet with Attorneys, Congressional Staff, Judges, including President Jimmy Carter whose daughter Amy attended Stevens years ago. I was in charged of providing assistance to all incoming and outgoing students. Order equipment and supplies, administering medication to – more... students who had proscriptions, (certified medication administrator), all typing, scheduling, telephone contact with parents daily to resolve issues, and employee payroll. – less
Fast paced working environment
Risk Reduction Coordinator (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 30, 2012
On a day to day basis I worked with a variety of the DC high schools and middle schools ensuring that programs were implemented and that services offered through DCPS were being offered and implemented according to existing policies.
Used to be a wonderful Organization years ago.
Registrar (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 19, 2012
Pros: benefits
Cons: underpaid, job not secure
Used to be a wonderful Organization to work for years ago.
Over worked and underpaid. On the plus side I've developed most of my work skills with DCPS. There are so many hats to wear now because DCPS is so understaffed. I Enjoy working with the students, they are the highlight of my day. At the end of the day it is about the Children.