DCH HEALTH SYSTEM Employee Reviews

OKay health system
Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALDecember 21, 2016
Not a typical health system that one would like to start a career job. Nice pay and nice benefits to make up for conditions.
Fast paced, well-organized facility.
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Northport, ALNovember 9, 2016
As a patient care assistant my typical duties include taking hospital patients' temperature, blood pressure, pulse, and respiration; assisting patients with basic tasks, such as bathing, dressing, and eating; collecting specimens for lab tests; monitoring patients; and recording the patients' progress. This job has been incredibly rewarding and educational and I have loved the time I have worked for this facility.
activities for patients and singings for the patient as well
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fayette, ALOctober 3, 2016
In all the facility is a great place to be and to work as long as your priorities are where they should be. The work is hard,but is worth it in the end if you care about the people you take care of and if you enjoy what you do. I believe it is a place to grow and advance yourself and it is a great facility as far as the patients and what your job requires of you. The big down fall is that the co_workers and other staff are lazy and do not do thier jobs and do not want to help others. It seemed as if they wanted tou to do their work for them but didnt want to hold out a helping hand untill state came about, and also put more effort into making other co-workers lives miserable and make it hard for others, i believe that if it wasnt for the co-workers that made everyone else miserable that dch would have been the best place to work.
Pros
dont have to stay over if you don't want to
Cons
not enough employees to help with work load
referred all the time to dch and surgeons
formerC.R.N.A. (Former Employee) –  Tuscalooosa DCHSeptember 1, 2016
chief anesthetists should be in a room giving anesthesia paper work could be handled by secretary's i was an anesthetist there formany years tried to go back as a R.N. and was not hired due to weight lift requirements this is discrimination
Pros
free lunches occ
Cons
short breaks unappreciated
n/a
Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Fayette, ALAugust 29, 2016
I go in & set up Scope cases that i'm assigned to for the shift. I go to sterile supply run the autoclave. I do the washer test. Then go back & wait for the Surgeon to start my 1st case. After the case I clean my scope at bedside before putting in the evotech.
Love the medical field
Clerical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 18, 2016
This job was right up my alley. I love the medical field, so this job fit me to a tee. You never knew what you were in for when you got to work. It could be slow or you could have it all go crazy in a matter of seconds.
Pros
fast paced and medicine
Cons
DCH made a lot of changes and tired of working 11-7
Stable
Unit Secretary/Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 1, 2016
An employer who allows you ample advancement opportunities. Pay is good with prior experience. A long term employer.
Delivers Needed Care to West Alabama
Staff Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 25, 2016
Comprehensive, Quality Medical Care to population of West Alabama Region regardless of ability to pay.

Was able to do a lot of different things in my job that I may have been able to do elsewhere.

On pharmacy council, performed pharmacokinetic consults, medication reconciliation consults, interacted closely with medical staff.
Pros
Job Enrichment
Do not work here!!! This place is a horrible place to work
Floor Technician (Current Employee) –  Fayette, ALDecember 17, 2015
management in ALL areas are horrible and have UN experienced workers. they show favertisim to people and are completely unfair to workers. do not check new employees work history for truthfulness and just a overall horrible place to work
Pros
non
Cons
poor managment and directors, not a fair workplace, not enough pay for work expected, show favertisim, and do not check and review new employees work history
Nurse Manager (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALNovember 26, 2015
Enjoy spending time with patients and families. My job consist of daily rounding of employees and patients to ensure patients are receiving efficient care in a safe and productive manner
Fast paced work environment
Department Secretary (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 15, 2015
* A typical day at work consisted of answering multiple phone lines, taking linen orders from different departments and facilities, filing, faxing, emailing customers, and downloading handheld equipment with daily linen orders
* I learned a lot about the medical field and departments
* Management was helpful and kind but lacked in the training area
* Co-workers were friendly
* The hardest part of the job was the lack of communication among co-workers
* The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the different departments and staff while learning about the medical field
Pros
Benefits package
Cons
Short lunches
love my co-workers its a great environment to be around.
PCA (Patient Care Assistant) (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALAugust 19, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Its not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. I enjoy my staff they are always supportive in everything I do.
Very good company to work for.
Assist guest (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALOctober 3, 2014
Every day is different than the other. You meet different people from all walks of life, young and old. A day never goes by when someone comes to you and says, I love coming to this hospital. That lets me know that myself is doing right everyday when working. The most filling part of my day is when I get a compliment on my customer service. That what makes me get through my day.
Pros
THE WORK ENVIROMENT.
Cons
GOOD FOOD IN THE CAFETERIA AND THE SPECIAL SALES
Some area are very good, others not so much.
RN (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa and NorthportOctober 7, 2013
A typical day would involve getting report on my patients, assessing those patients, providing care, documenting, and finally giving report to my relief. I learned a lot about all aspects of patient assessment and care from the many continuing education programs that were offered. Upper level management was always involved and visible. I was less impressed with some of the Nurse Managers - some had insufficient hands on experience and/or common sense to have reasonable expectations of their staff. My coworkers were like the rest of the world - some great, some horrible. The hardest part of the 30 years I spent at DCH was the time I worked on the pulmonary unit. Like most people, I don't function optimally in a loud chaotic environment. However, I had to carry beepers for both the heart monitors and ventilator alarms. Plus, the heart monitors alarmed constantly at the station, making in person and telephone communication difficult. It would be much safer and saner to have a dedicated technician assigned to these monitors - rather than a RN who has multiple other responsibilities. The best part of the job was teaching patients how to take care of themselves.
Pros
Continuing education programs, fair salary
Cons
Some Nurse Managers with unrealistic expectations, no Monday-Friday schedule options, being pulled to other units to work, Unit Secretaries trying to run the units
Teamwork
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 17, 2013
On this particular day I had a lot of discharges which customers was leaving going home and rooms was coming back to back to be clean and I couldn't have no one to help me because management do not believe in team work, which their are co workers who wants to help but can't because they are scared they will get discipline because they didn't get permission to help me with my discharges, theres nothing hard about the job, and the enjoyment part about my job is that I did my job and complete my assignments but at the same time it was neat and clean.
I have learned a lot from my current job.
Support Tech II, Information Services (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJune 26, 2013
Really enjoyed my coworkers and bosses. I have learned the ins and out about the Healthcare industry.
Unit Secretary/ Aneasthesia Asst
Unit Secretary/PCT/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMay 19, 2013
Great company to work for job has great stability and abililties of advancement.
Financial Counselor, Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMarch 8, 2013
Overall a good place to work, safety, patient satisfaction and clincal outcomes are top priorities
Most dysfunctional place I have ever worked.
Registrar (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALFebruary 7, 2013
management ALWAYS changing procedures and protocol, managers are NEVER there when you need them to be, they "come and go whenever there little hearts desire. I haven't seen a supervisor face to face in six months. Questions are never answered. Co-workers do as they please, one or two employees do all the work while the other 5 sit and watch. Pay is not comparable to other hospitals in the region.
Pros
job security
Cons
everything else
DCH is overall a great place to work.
Retiree (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa ALOctober 14, 2012
If you can stick it out through the fads of management style, DCH is a great place to work. It is a bureaucracy, though, so if you are a free spirit, you might be unhappy, although you can find a job here that can pay well enough and give you a schedule flexible enough to do your free-spiriting on your own time.
Pros
they pride themselves on paying at the top of the local scale, great benefits, fabulous old-fashioned retirement system that barely exists anymore.
Cons
24/7 work, kind of inflexible management so be willing to follow the rules whether they make any sense or not.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DCH HEALTH SYSTEM. Our community is ready to answer.

DCH HEALTH SYSTEM Reviews by Location