DCH Regional Medical Center Employee Reviews

My experience at DCH
Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, AL 35401February 21, 2017
My typical day at DCH is pretty busy. I've learned a lot from the years I worked at DCH. The management time is great. My workplace is awesome and I enjoy my job as a unit secretary. The hardest part of my job is answering the phone,call lights, and watching the heart monitors. This is the typical day at DCH.
Pros
They work with my school schedule.
Cons
Long lunch line and you only get 30mins
great group of co workers
Manager of Case Management (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 23, 2017
I started @ DCH in 1995. I spent 10 years in the ER and loved every minute of it. I moved to the PACU and was very happy there for 7 years. An opportunity arose for me to be able to come to the Care Management department and I have loved being able to help patients and the hospital at the same time in this role.
Very Busy Floor
Staff Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALFebruary 16, 2017
From the moment you arrive to work you are very busy. You will learn a lot from working on the floor. Management at the time was very considerate and worked with you.
Pros
You will learn a lot
Cons
Tired at the end of your shift
active
Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALDecember 20, 2016
I felt that in my position I was over worked and too much to take care of with very little time . Nurses would not help sometimes expected me to do there job . I worked on the holidays and did not get treated fairly
Pros
lunch was down stairs
Cons
not off on holidays
It is a hospital
RN - 4 South Med Surg/Dialysis Floor (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 25, 2017
12 hour shifts, 30-45 minute lunch breaks depending on what your manager has decided for the floor you work on. No paid holidays, work every other weekend, overtime is allowed.
The beginning of a journey.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALOctober 19, 2016
This was my very first hospital setting as a nurse. This hospital set the foundation of my career. I learned here that a nurse is highly valued.
A Productive and well executing Department
Radiology Information Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMarch 5, 2014
A typical work day in DCH radiology Department is clocking in on evening shift and heading to the desk/file room to see what awaits. The shift begins by answering the phones for transferring to the modality of request such as CT, US, NM, MRI and Angio. What you learn from the day is patients and time management, Communicating with the Radiologist, prioritizing reports for the ED or faxing reports to the doctor's office on request. What you see are the transporters picking up and dropping off patients for the ordered exam in which we get off the printer for diagnostic exams or one that the other modalities have sent for. My co-workers are what makes the shift fly by fast. The team work and effort that is placed in doing and wanting to get the job complete. I would not trade the work effort for anything in the world. The hardest part of job is seeing our patients come down sick and have to watch them be put through our exams. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to leave work know that our department performed in a productive manner to assure all exams that were ordered for the day were completed and possibly saved someones life.
Pros
Experience, Great Benefits, fun co-workers
Cons
Parking
Cashier/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 12, 2016
A typical day at work is cleaning, stocking, cash register, etc. In less then 6 months I became a o/n team leader which lead me to learn how to count the safe, cash registers, set up cafeteria for next shift, etc.
Pros
Free lunches for certain holidays, discounts and more.
Cons
Busy during lunch hours
DCH is an exciting midsize hospital with cutting edge technology and a small town feel.
RN (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMarch 22, 2012
I have enjoyed my years at DCH but am looking forward to another 10+ years somewhere else to further my career.
Pros
good work environment, adequate salary, decent health insurance
Cons
less than average retirement benefit, top out pay does not keep up with new grads pay
Great learning experience
LPN, Garden House Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Northport, ALAugust 3, 2012
Overall a great place to work for graduating nurses. Not very pleased with the salary of an LPN. Pleased with the management staff & worked well with fellow employess.
Pros
lunch can be charged to badge, flexible schedule, extra shifts available
Cons
pay too low for position
My starting point in the healthcare industry
Clincal Lab Scientist (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALDecember 6, 2014
I enjoyed working at DCH. I learned to work analyzers and/or processed specimens.
Pros
Special days-- lab week
Cons
Salary
It is a great place to work.
Information Service Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALDecember 7, 2013
A typical day at work was trying to help the DCH Health System with computer application issues from a support role. In addition, I helped build EMRs.

As a Computer Analyst, I learned many computer applications. In addition, they taught me how to deal with different personalities in a profession manner.

The management is supportive and encourages advancement within DCH Health System.

The hardest part was when I wasn't able to help a customer immediately. I had to learn that if I didn't know the answer then I needed to find a way to help them.

The most enjoyable part of my job was helping people and learning something new everyday.
Great environment to gain experience!
Radiology Technologist (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 13, 2015
A normal day at DCH is fast paced patient load with great co-workers willing to help at all cost. Management even helps on very busy days. The hardest part of my job is knowing something is wrong on the patients test and having to tell them the results will be sent to their Doctor because we are not allowed to tell what we see. I enjoy getting to help people know what is making them sick and how to prevent and cure their disease so they call feel better!
Pros
Very cooperative with child care issues.
Cons
Busy, not enough help in work areas on a daily basis.
Lack of hours and poor management.
Nutritional Services Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALApril 7, 2014
DCH Regional Medical Center may not be a bad place to work for everyone. However, the Nutritional Services department was far from being pleasant. Associates are hired on as per diem for $9.50 an hour and the illusion that there will be plenty of hours. For your first three months or so, you'll work 30-40 hours every week, with optional shifts available. However, once you are out of the training phase, the hours drastically drop to anywhere from 10-20 per week. You can ask for more hours, but the best you will get is being cross-trained to do a completely different job - which ends up replacing most of the hours of your old job. Despite every per diem and part time employee complaining about this, management continued to hire new batches of employees regularly. Our turn over rate was very high - most people who quit did so because of the lack of hours.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
No hours
Broad Experience in nursing
RN in MICU (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMay 6, 2014
I have enjoyed working in MICU at DCH Regional. The team work on the unit and the learning opportunities are great. Managing critically ill patients can be very taxing but fulfilling work. Titrating medications, managing ventilators, teaching healthcare management to individuals, and managing polypharmacy are a few of the many interesting duties performed here.
Pros
Unit teamwork, great manager, complex clients
Cons
Non-competitive pay, low-morale among institution
enjoyed my co-workers
distribution tech (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 12, 2014
Deliver supplies to all areas of the hospital, build orders for the next shift to deliver and for the day shift to delve. Also made sure the perfusion cart was stocked for the O.R. the hardest part was dealing with the nurses who couldn't understand that it was just me down in the warehouse trying to do what 6 people on dayshift did. The most enjoyable part was knowing that i was helping the patients that i took the items too.
Pros
long breaks, good pay
Cons
long hours and worked late on weekends
Janitorial work. Nothing too special.
Environmental Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 23, 2014
Got me through college and met alot of good people while working there. Things kind of fell apart under new management towards to the end of my time there. Most of my co-workers resigned and found new jobs.
Pros
Evening shift. Autonomy.
Cons
No room for advancement. Bad management.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 6, 2015
I enjoy working for DCH Health System on the Med- Surg floor. A typical day consists of getting patient assignments, which are usually 5 to 6 patients. I will then assess my patients and give morning medicines. Throughout the day, I continue to assess my patients, delegate tasks to PCAs and other staff members, respond to patient needs, and document everything that is done. Some days can become overwhelming, but it is always worth it. My co-workers are always there to help pick my up if things become too hectic. The hardest part of my job is when I have a difficult patient load. I enjoy my co-workers and making a difference in patient's lives.
The RN staff is very friendly and accepting.
staff nurse (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALNovember 19, 2015
Love the unit I work on. The people are amazing. I have life long friendships with these people. The place is very very busy. Many changes have happened and are going to continue to happen.
Very Productive, Very fun workplace
Lab Assistant- Duties (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa,ALApril 10, 2012
A typical day is seeing more than 200 plus patients in an 8hr period. DCH Outpatient Lab is a fun place to work. We care very much about our patients and each other. We feel very strongly about Customer Service and treating our patients the way we want to be treated. We strive for 5 everyday. Management is great; Co-workers are great! We can't ask for a better group of people to work with and for.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DCH Regional Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

DCH Regional Medical Center Reviews by Location