DCH Regional Medical Center Employee Reviews

good place to work
retail sales manager /general manager (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALNovember 3, 2015
work 8-10 hour a day work with patient and employee to give them great customer service food to the best of my knowledge we serve about 1500-3000 aday with a smile
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
somtime double shift
Great environment to gain experience!
Radiology Technologist (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 13, 2015
A normal day at DCH is fast paced patient load with great co-workers willing to help at all cost. Management even helps on very busy days. The hardest part of my job is knowing something is wrong on the patients test and having to tell them the results will be sent to their Doctor because we are not allowed to tell what we see. I enjoy getting to help people know what is making them sick and how to prevent and cure their disease so they call feel better!
Pros
Very cooperative with child care issues.
Cons
Busy, not enough help in work areas on a daily basis.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJuly 6, 2015
I enjoy working for DCH Health System on the Med- Surg floor. A typical day consists of getting patient assignments, which are usually 5 to 6 patients. I will then assess my patients and give morning medicines. Throughout the day, I continue to assess my patients, delegate tasks to PCAs and other staff members, respond to patient needs, and document everything that is done. Some days can become overwhelming, but it is always worth it. My co-workers are always there to help pick my up if things become too hectic. The hardest part of my job is when I have a difficult patient load. I enjoy my co-workers and making a difference in patient's lives.
Productive place to work
Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJune 9, 2015
A typical day at work consists of entering medication orders and dispensing medication to patients. Kinetic dosing, renal dosing, and anticoagulation management are part of staff pharmacist duties.
People knock DCH, but I really liked it
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJune 4, 2015
DCH has a reputation as a terrible place to work, but I really liked it. They were a good company, and my manager was great working with my schedule while I was in school.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, good hospital
Cons
they pay less than in Birmingham
great place to work
Medical transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMarch 9, 2015
I was fortunate to train with some great ladies and enjoyed the work that I was doing. It really worked out when we were able to work at home,
Pros
i was able to work with a great staff
Cons
transcriptionist jobs are fading out and put a good many out of a good paying job.
Excellent place to work
Clinical Dietitian (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMarch 9, 2015
DCH offered me my first position out of school. I have gained incredible work experience and had many opportunities to build my resume and take on more responsibilities. Management has always been very responsive and sensitive to employee needs.
My starting point in the healthcare industry
Clincal Lab Scientist (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALDecember 6, 2014
I enjoyed working at DCH. I learned to work analyzers and/or processed specimens.
Pros
special days-- lab week
Cons
salary
Calm to chaos
Resgistered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALNovember 3, 2014
A typical day at work can be anywhere from calm to chaos. My coworkers are wonderful and offer whatever help they can. The hardest part of the job is the patients I know will not make it in the end. THe most enjoyable part are that patients that get better and come back to visit. Everyday I learn something new about a medication or problem a patient has. Work can go from calm to chaos in seconds. Working in icu a patient is stable one minute but not the next.
Broad Experience in nursing
RN in MICU (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMay 6, 2014
I have enjoyed working in MICU at DCH Regional. The team work on the unit and the learning opportunities are great. Managing critically ill patients can be very taxing but fulfilling work. Titrating medications, managing ventilators, teaching healthcare management to individuals, and managing polypharmacy are a few of the many interesting duties performed here.
Pros
unit teamwork, great manager, complex clients
Cons
non-competitive pay, low-morale among institution

Want to know more about DCH Regional Medical Center?

Ask a question
Lack of hours and poor management.
Nutritional Services Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALApril 7, 2014
DCH Regional Medical Center may not be a bad place to work for everyone. However, the Nutritional Services department was far from being pleasant. Associates are hired on as per diem for $9.50 an hour and the illusion that there will be plenty of hours. For your first three months or so, you'll work 30-40 hours every week, with optional shifts available. However, once you are out of the training phase, the hours drastically drop to anywhere from 10-20 per week. You can ask for more hours, but the best you will get is being cross-trained to do a completely different job - which ends up replacing most of the hours of your old job. Despite every per diem and part time employee complaining about this, management continued to hire new batches of employees regularly. Our turn over rate was very high - most people who quit did so because of the lack of hours.
Pros
easy job
Cons
no hours
A Productive and well executing Department
Radiology Information Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMarch 5, 2014
A typical work day in DCH radiology Department is clocking in on evening shift and heading to the desk/file room to see what awaits. The shift begins by answering the phones for transferring to the modality of request such as CT, US, NM, MRI and Angio. What you learn from the day is patients and time management, Communicating with the Radiologist, prioritizing reports for the ED or faxing reports to the doctor's office on request. What you see are the transporters picking up and dropping off patients for the ordered exam in which we get off the printer for diagnostic exams or one that the other modalities have sent for. My co-workers are what makes the shift fly by fast. The team work and effort that is placed in doing and wanting to get the job complete. I would not trade the work effort for anything in the world. The hardest part of job is seeing our patients come down sick and have to watch them be put through our exams. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to leave work know that our department performed in a productive manner to assure all exams that were ordered for the day were completed and possibly saved someones life.
Pros
experience, great benefits, fun co-workers
Cons
parking
Janitorial work. Nothing too special.
Environmental Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 23, 2014
Got me through college and met alot of good people while working there. Things kind of fell apart under new management towards to the end of my time there. Most of my co-workers resigned and found new jobs.
Pros
evening shift. autonomy.
Cons
no room for advancement. bad management.
great environment
Phlebotomist/Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 12, 2014
I learned and became a certified phlebotomist through DCH and thoroughly enjoyed working with each individual patient
enjoyed my co-workers
distribution tech (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 12, 2014
Deliver supplies to all areas of the hospital, build orders for the next shift to deliver and for the day shift to delve. Also made sure the perfusion cart was stocked for the O.R. the hardest part was dealing with the nurses who couldn't understand that it was just me down in the warehouse trying to do what 6 people on dayshift did. The most enjoyable part was knowing that i was helping the patients that i took the items too.
Pros
long breaks, good pay
Cons
long hours and worked late on weekends
It is a great place to work.
Information Service Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALDecember 7, 2013
A typical day at work was trying to help the DCH Health System with computer application issues from a support role. In addition, I helped build EMRs.

As a Computer Analyst, I learned many computer applications. In addition, they taught me how to deal with different personalities in a profession manner.

The management is supportive and encourages advancement within DCH Health System.

The hardest part was when I wasn't able to help a customer immediately. I had to learn that if I didn't know the answer then I needed to find a way to help them.

The most enjoyable part of my job was helping people and learning something new everyday.
A wonderful place to work because we are careing for others
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALNovember 12, 2013
Working at DCH is like working from home and it's just a bunch of people there helping you to care for people that in some ways become like your family. The only difference is that they leav.
Challenging, fast paced level 2 Trauma Center
ED Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 19, 2013
Staff, occasionally Charge RN for 3-11 shift, providing emergency care and treatment of patients of all ages. TNCC, ACLS, PALS certified at this time
Pros
enjoyed the variety of patients served
Cons
long hours of providing critical services
A place were people care about you and go out of there way to help you
CNA (Former Employee) –  6 SOUTH WESTSeptember 18, 2013
There are good days and bad days.I have learned alot from working in a hospital,it is very emotional sometimesbut i stay strong because it is important to be focused on what you are doing.I love working with patients that need care,i will go out of my way for them.
Pros
meeting different people.
Good company to work for
Staff Pharmacist (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 4, 2013
This organization helped me helped me grow as a pharmacist.