Deaconess Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

Horrible upper management
MT (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAMarch 21, 2016
My immediate supervisor is awesome... however he can only do so much. We are severely understaffed and overworked. Our department director could care less and doesn't listen to our concerns. He's a bully and dismisses people's opinions.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Everything else
Management/Administration only cares about money and getting people out
Manager (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAMarch 15, 2016
Current management does everything to get patients out the door. Patients come rightbback in because they are treated prematurely discharged.
Money driven, focus on shorter stay, no care or compassion for the employees or the patients in the hospital. All of the good Hospitalists and employees leave because they can't tolerate it anymore. Puts staff in a compromising position.
I'm surprised this place has been able to function under this management as long as they have.
Pros
Discount on the food
Cons
Management, Administration
All in all a very enjoyable and safe work place.
PATHOLOGY SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAOctober 6, 2015
Typical day is completing all "gross" transcription in a timely manner, always critiquing and being accurate before processing documents. Nice workplace setting, doctors were always ready to answer any questions. Management was very good and always had reviews of any new procedures and what was required of us. There were really no hard parts to the job, only maybe when there were several reports to be done before days end and trying to get them all transcribed before going home that day, as being timely was important to get to the next step of the report done by other transcriptionists, so final report would be available for the doctors as soon as possible. I enjoyed the job very much and miss working in a hospital/clinic setting.
Pros
Everybody was a team player.
Cons
Half hour lunch.
Great place to work, great coworkers
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAAugust 27, 2015
Deaconess was a great place to work, I stayed very busy and enjoyed my coworkers alot. This was a very family friendly environment and management was great to work with.
Pros
coworkers, and my job in general
Cons
they closed the program
probably the best job I ever had
Breakfast cook/Baker- Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAAugust 10, 2015
worked as breakfast cook/baker, learned the head cook job along with various other jobs, eventually became supervisor over the cooks....was a great place to work
Pros
good benefits, good wages, great work environment
Cons
trying to keep large staff happy and positions filled due to call-ins/schedule conflicts
ISO of a leader
PC Network Specialist (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WashingtonJanuary 25, 2015
Great teams and people to work with they keep everything running. Only draw backs is a lack of direction from the top.
after 8 years of working with Deaconess Medical Center, i still consider it my home.
high volume line cook (Former Employee) –  Spokane WADecember 12, 2014
typical day at work - fast paced - no matter how slow, there's always something to do and every one is held accountable. makes the day go by fast and you leave feeling accomplished. i learned so much about different styles of cooking, with all the above to mention, and the supervisors and managers were always willing to teach any one willing to learn. 4 of our cooks were dishwashers at once - they had the want to be more and advance and they were given the chance to prove themselves. the hardest part of this job ~ keeping up is like a competition there. every one seems to challenge each other with whom can do more. which in the long run makes the enviorment playful,team worthy,family orientated,and in times of conflict, it's not personal - it's business. we hold each other to high standards. when the standards aren't being met - we've learned to call out when mistakes are made. less time in the bosses office and less reports to human resources. we handle the problem as it happens in the open, not later behind closed doors.
Pros
advancement in the company beyond compare, they are willing to teach any one willing to learn.
Cons
conflicts with the union and company contracts, too much to keep up with
Good company
Culinary Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati,ohioDecember 1, 2014
I worked for the company of compass group for over 8 years, great company . was a culinary supervisor and I loved training and coaching the employees coming in. love the other contracted employees.
Pros
good benfits, great company
Cons
management not good with treating all employees equal.
excellent place to be employed
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WASeptember 16, 2014
Over all experience was good.
Many different departments to advance to.
Excellent training, overall good managers.
Nice clean friend work environment
Pros
good work enviroment
Cons
lunch room food wasn't the best and very spendy for employees
The worst place I have ever worked
IT Analyst (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJanuary 9, 2014
Deaconess is the worst place I have worked in my 30 year career as a professional IT person. No concern for patients, its only about money, money, money.
*Knee jerk management
*No job security
*Incompetence is rewarded and promoted.

Dont waste your life by taking a job here
Pros
decent pay
Cons
everything else
I have worked most of my career at Deaconess.
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAOctober 13, 2013
Employees are dedicated to their work.
I work in Radiology and Mammography.
Excellence in healthcare.
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WASeptember 11, 2013
Nursing stuff is striving to bring the best care possible to their patients. Great teachers and nurses to get example from.
okay
dietary aid (Former Employee) –  spokane waJanuary 5, 2013
I got to work and prepped for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Put meal trays together and/ delivered them to the patients. At the end of the night we cleaned up. I worked really well with my co-workers, best place to work for when we all got along so great. Hardest part of the job was the schedule, hardly any weekends off, therefore no life.
Pros
people i worked with
Cons
bad schedule
I worked for BCC in Oregon and Idano
Patient Accounts Representative (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTDecember 7, 2012
I begain in the computer department and also worked with the insurance company processing claims. That was the first time I had ever done any work in insurance so all of that was a great deal of value in other areas of my life as I went on to work more in the insurance industry for many years. The people were great to work with; the pay and benefits were excellent.
Pros
a great learning experience for computers and insurance
Cons
i cannot think of anything that i did not enjoy at boise cascade corp
work hard for little pay
Dietary Clerk (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INOctober 12, 2012
is fast pace. have different jobs in dept, starting off day early in morning to get breakfast to patients, have only hour to get everyone in hospital fed. So it does start very early. every one works hard to get everything done only thing with staff is short you have to double up on work to get done. Management some times help but most of the time is never around. When in dietary for any hospital the job is at fast pace and very hard. The only time I really enjoyed the job is when I got to take orders from the patients themselves. Got to meet alot of different people.
Pros
meeting different people
Cons
sometimes no breaks, pay not that good
Fully enjoyed the people I worked with and would work with them again.
Nuclear Medicine Technologist (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WASeptember 14, 2012
This was the first hospital I have worked for. My department was a very smooth running operation once we had our patients checked in. Since this was a melding of three organizations, (Deaconess, Rockwood, and Inland Cardiology) the patient workflow was at times slow. This taken into account, we provided the highest level of patient care we could and made the best of a system not yet working smoothly. At no time did we ever have a patient that felt they were on a production line.
Loved to work there
Dietary Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAAugust 17, 2012
Worked here for 12+ years, loved almost every minute of it. Started from an entry level position and worked my way all the way up to management. As a manager I was in charge of the front of the house operations, Cafe, Deli, Barista, Catering. The staff were amazing and I enjoyed going too work every day.
Pros
able to manage my own time, great teamwork
Cons
not enough business to keep me employed
Excellent place to learn with great instructors
Echocardiography Intern (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJuly 31, 2012
Typical day started at 0730. Patients for the day were listed on a board and I was given three patients to start the morning off. By week three, I was completing my own exams and calling the instructors only when I needed help getting a difficult image or just to make sure I acquired all the necessary images in a difficult case. The exams ranged from regular echocardiograms to TEEs to OR echocardiograms. I enjoyed working with my coworkers and learning a great deal from them. I learned how to time manage an exam as well as how to meet and interact with patients.
I enjoyed to work with the computer and papers during my internship!
outpatient and inpatient coder (Former Employee) –  Department of Health Information.January 17, 2012
I enjoyed to work with professional people, who are nice and friendly, I worked i n many areas that were interestinf to me, and I learned a lot. My instructions were complete enough for me to be able to perform the assigned taskes, and I felt free to ask questions. The clinical experience was valuable to my learning. I felt personally welcomed in the department, and was informed of my progress regularly.
Pros
the cafeteria is close to my work, so i saved the time to have a lunch.
Cons
i didn't use my brakes sometimes.