Dean Foods Company Employee Reviews

Long hours, pay less than industry standard
Route Sales Driver (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 25, 2016
Dean Foods expects a lot out of their Route Sales Representatives. Management often takes advantage of drivers simply because they can't seem to do their own job effectively and the drivers are left to clean up the mess and work the long hours to transport product last minute. The best thing about working for Dean Foods is that they pay time and a half after 8 hours each day and there is a differential of $1.25 paid for every hour worked before 5 am. The worst part is starting in the middle of the night and often working 14-15 hours each day until late afternoon. I do enjoy the freedom of not being stuck in an office and to work at my own pace.
Pros
freedom during the work day
Decent workplace lots of good people worked there didn't care for the overnight supervisor
Temporary Worker (Former Employee) –  O'Fallon, ILSeptember 20, 2016
Place could just use some fresh blood and new ideas
Days could go by fast depending on who you worked with.
Enjoyed the experience overall but couldn't imagine spending years there
Pros
Could get work done peacefully
Cons
Few breaks
Dean
AP Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Fort WorthSeptember 13, 2016
The company overall is great, but management in some departments is what is hindering the company. Quality and production is better than quantity and experience. I learned that you can't please everyone.
Pros
Work is plentiful
Cons
supervisors make it a stressful work environment
Was lied to
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Sharpsville, PASeptember 10, 2016
Was promised X amount per hour, I started at 80%. Was told I could take a few tests to get more money, sounds good. It's more like 50 tests with practical hours, some of which "have never been completed so we're not equipped to administer those tests" so I can't get all the raises. The shifts are up for grabs every week so there's no set schedule. Worked for a few months, never received my safety orientation or any other training. No accountability. Almost once a week, someone was injured. I was fortunate that my old job took me back.
Not bad
Division Continuous Improvement Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 23, 2016
I've worked here for 4 years and been promoted once. It is not a bad company but we lack standardization across the board and training/educating employee is not a priority.
Pros
Pay/Benefits aren't bad.
Cons
Education/Training is not a priority.
Customer Satisfaction!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Franklin, MAAugust 22, 2016
While I enjoy assisting customers solve issues with delivery of their products, It is also the most difficult part of my job. I consider a successful day is when I can satisfy a customer's needs and know that I represented Dean Foods in a professional manner.
Pros
Free lunches, incentive prizes for superior sales
Cons
Winter hours can affect deliveries which affect service
Poor work life balance career
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  IdahoJuly 14, 2016
this job does not allow for a decent work life balance. during the interview i was told 8 to 10 hours was normal which is acceptable but upon hire and working there i have found that a 12 hour day is normal and up to 14 occasionally. also the work load is poorly balanced and there seems to be a "good old boys" mentality where the work nobody wants to do is frequently pawned off on the newer guys if the ones who have been there for a while don't want to deal with it any more. also don't expect to be a delivery driver because you will in fact be the warehouse guy and the only guy who works on the weekends before you can actually run your route so you have no support at all. if they cut out all the extra stuff this could be a decent job but the attitude that i have encountered that is not going to be an option.
Pros
Cons
long hours, poor management
Excellent company to work for
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PAJuly 12, 2016
Overall i enjoyed the company and my co-workers. Very easy job to do and pays well. But had to down size and did away with my position.
Good job
Lead Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Woodbury, MNJuly 12, 2016
This is a union job. Work all holidays except Thanksgiving and Christmas. One personal day, no sick days. This is a fast paced job, because I work in a lab testing, changes often and customers request different testing, so this keeps things interesting.
Pros
They bottle milk and we can drink all we want at work.
Cons
Time off, such as a day or couple hours, we are docked in pay and they have a point sysem that counts against you, a way to fire a person missing work or coming in late.
Route Settlement Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJuly 9, 2016
fast paced and rewarding. No day is the same. Great leadership and community involvement. Requires strong analytical computer and communication skills.
Cons
little advancement opportunities
Glad I quit for a better job
Maint Dept (Former Employee) –  Lynn. Ma.June 29, 2016
OT galore. Decent yearly pay. No appreciation. No spare parts. All the experienced people have quit. No communication. You are just a replaceable machine at Dean - Lynn MA.
Pros
Tons of OT.
Cons
all the talented folks have quit. no parts. no appreciation. No family life. No holidays. . no help.
always worried about job security
Forklift Operator/Warehouse (Current Employee) –  High Point, NCJune 23, 2016
Had such a high turnover rate. Always worried about being laid off. Hired new people weekly. Not bad place to work has air and heat.
Pros
air and heat
Cons
worried about layoff
Terrible place
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NJJune 8, 2016
Worked there for about three months. Maintenance manager at the time was useless and had no useful Input to job. Worked third shift and they cleaned the lines at that time so there wasn't much to do. Very boring and speaking English was the minority there. The break room smelled of curry and bo. Most of the maintenance staff worked there for a long time and some felt threatened when someone new comes in so they try to make you look bad. When I started they just gave out raises of 10 cents per hour and handed you a newsletter stating that dean foods made 3.8 billion for the quarter. People were not happy. Not the worst place I worked but wouldn't make a career of it.
Pros
A paycheck better than unemployment
Management is horrible
Shipping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCMay 31, 2016
This company has been let go for too long. They break labor laws, FDA laws and do not care the least bit for the employees. I was there for 7 years. I worked very hard. As the shipping supervisor I tried to make changes. I lost so many good employees because of favoritism. I documented everything. Took it to the appropriate people and was basically told they did not want to know. No one there has a personal life. NO ONE. You got a wife or kids then you better think hatd before taking this position. At one point we lost another supervisor. I had no problem helping out but being a single father and only getting to see my daughter 18 days out of 56 took its tole. Lastly after 3 months of me covering another shift and my child virtually living with her grandparents so I could cover the shift I resigned. My wife passed away a few years earlier and no one cared that my child was being passed around for months just so they didn't have to hire anyone til after the budget renewed. I have not had a second thought. That was the single best decision I made.
Pros
Job security, competitive wages and benefits
Cons
NO consideration for family or personal time, Work conditions have gotten worse over the past few years and moral is horrible.
Poor compay to work for
Distribution (Current Employee) –  Sharpsville, PAMay 18, 2016
Company expects employees to be at their Beck and call. They are heavy on management that does not know the business. Drivers are expected to work unreasonable schedules. You will have absolutely no family life...they lay off in the fall then hire new in the spring...new hires will generally be laid off as soon as volume drops...no security. Employees are guilty until proven innocent...absolutely no moral to be had...if not for the good pay and benefits there world be no reason to work here.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Bad management, poor moral
Cordial Work environment with friendly management
Truck Driver/Route salesperson (Current Employee) –  Sharpsville, PAMay 18, 2016
A task oriented business that provides you the tools and equipment to do your job and succeed. My typical day begins often times in the early morning hours. I punch in go to my assigned tractor and hook up to my assigned trailer and head off to my first delivery of the day. I will deliver all the stops on my trailer and return to the dairy where I unhook from my trailer, fill out the necessary paperwork, and go home. My particular department affords me and entrusts in me my abilities to get the job done without any interference. My Co-workers are all friendly and very helping. The most enjoyable part of my job is, my independence. Sometimes when working for a large company, one tends to become just a number. I am looking for the opportunity to become part of a tight knit family environment, and to a company that really appreciates and is thankful for the contributions of its employees
Pros
great benefits and good pay, friendly people
Cons
long hours, very inconsistent work schedule
Worst Job Available
Route Driver/Sales (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 11, 2016
This job apparently forgets that we have lives and families outside of work. They force 16hr days upon the drivers and make getting a day off a 12step process, even when asked ahead of time. As a driver we are definitely guilty until proven innocent. The management has no clue as to what goes on in the system or the stores. Any time a member of management is asked a question their replies always begin with 'idk uhhh...'.
If you don't mind sacrificing your time, b.s. being a part of your route, and working much harder than your paycheck reflects, then this is the job for you
Great job, great people
Co-Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Greeley, COMay 8, 2016
I enjoy working the team and management, my experience has been great. My days end with a positive note, I get appreciated by my supervisor.
Excellent company and management
Plant Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 6, 2016
Sanitary operation with various employee interaction and personnel management requirements. Enjoyed interacting with employees to accomplish common goals.
Pros
Clean sanitary working conditions.
Cons
Hours varied.
Great learning experience
Route Reconciliation Clerk/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJApril 29, 2016
I could not describe this position as it changed day to day with our patients. However, the staff was great and always worked well with your scheduling.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dean Foods Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8