Dean Health System Employee Reviews in United States

Pigeonholing yes, peripheral vision no
Insurance Team Representative (Current Employee) –  Madison, WI 53713June 14, 2016
If you're satisfied performing the same tasks over and over again with only negative feedback, carving out a rut at Dean Health Systems may appeal to you.
Non-medical staff can be assured of ennui in an entropy based system where it's more important to read and re-read outdated procedures than to introduce innovation. There isn't any possibility for advancement but many are satisfied with finding fault with peers and/or subordinates. Medical staff turnover is increasing.
Typical of the U.S. healthcare industry, and why it's failing, Dean Health System believes it's more important to continue with what doesn't work than to attempt anything different.
Friendly staff, no work life balance
Triage RN (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIMay 15, 2016
My Coworkers are great but there is no work life balance. You get burned out quickly. Spend all day in a chair and although they say you can get up and move, Management and the " higher ups" wonder why there are calls going to voicemail. Providers are leaving/retiring and not being replaced so there is no access. Patient frustration is at and all time high.

Since joining with SSM the insurance coverage has gone down and the cost has gone up. Management has been a mess since November of last year.
No Comment
Service Center Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 9, 2016
I do not have any comments to add except for I enjoyed the people I work with and left on good terms. You can get a great start into IT and requires adaptability.
Amazing healthcare delivery system
Primary Care Administrator (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 13, 2016
Clinical Operations
Managed the over all operations of all clinics south of Madison
100 milloon in revenue
500 employees
100 clinicians
Pros
Great leaders, training, and mentorship
Cons
can't think of any
Was a great place to work, but now going through a lot of changes
Information Technology (Current Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 8, 2015
Dean used to be an awesome company to work for. The I.T. department that I was in worked very closely and efficiently. SSM Healthcare out of St. Louis bought us about two years ago. Since then, job satisfaction has gone way down. We aren't the efficient department we used to be. Teams that used to work closely together are now very divided. Communication between teams is awful. If your looking to work here, wait until all the dust has settled from the changes SSM is making before making your move.
Radiographer (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 23, 2015
The management at Dean Health keeps changing as Dean merges with SSM. Makes working for the hard. Great co-workers makes the unknown manageable.
Float staff supporting a variety of departments in many locaitons
Registration / Scheduler - Float Services (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 8, 2015
A typical day is working at the registration and scheduling desks wherever I'm assigned for that day. I fill in for staff members who are out due to vacation, illness, or other reasons. My job is to fill in as seamlessly as possible and make things run smoothly.

I've checked in and rescheduled patients from general practice to specialty departments.

I really enjoy meeting and getting to know the patients. And the job is never boring because you work with a different staff daily/weekly.

At times, I would mentor new employees to our team.
Pros
Never in the same department. Variety of people to meet and work with.
Cons
No permanent desk, but in the big picture, it's a good trade.
Good company, good benefits, good people.
Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 16, 2015
I worked with some very hard-working and wonderful people at Dean. My job as a PCA was very fast-paced which made the days fly by. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping those in need of healthcare and getting to know my patients on a personal level.
treated staff poorly. favoritism
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 19, 2015
Rooming patients, assisting M.D. with procedures, vaccinations, specimen collections,vitals, administer medications, phone triage, assist in scheduling patient appointments and procedures, patient education, documentation of patient history, referrals, medication refills, and EPIC charting. Epic super user.
Major Changes Not In Favor Of Dean Employees
Clinic Staff (Former Employee) –  MadisonJanuary 1, 2015
Merger with hospital looks like many of the nice things about working at Dean will go away and uncertainty about the new "benefits" and policies. Current staff training (other than the system training) is haphazard at best. Co-workers for the most part seem to be team players.
Cons
breaks???
Micro Managed-horrible hours
Contact Center Rep (Current Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 18, 2014
You are told one thing in the interview and then once you are in the position it is completely different. hours are all over. working until 11 at night and then expected to be in at 6am the next day.
a lot of multi-tasking
Charge Review Rep (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 1, 2014
a typical day was 6am - 4:30pm. I learned a lot everyday and every hour because rules and applications were changing all the time. management was ok. my coworkers were great and a good team atmosphere. the hardest part of the job was getting everything done in the 8 hr day. the most enjoyable part of the job was learning new things and being able to answer people's questions
Pros
getting a better understanding of medical field
Cons
more money
Laid back atmosphere
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 11, 2014
I was given a lot of freedom to complete tasks as I saw fit. Was great to know that the Directors had that much faith in my work ability.
Relaxed atmosphere
Workers Compensation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 16, 2013
A typical day at work would be to send out claims, process incoming mail, take incoming and make outgoing calls.
I enjoyed the work and the customers we helped, external & internal.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to accomplish something that day without management harping to do more, go faster.
Most of my co-workers were very negative and it was hard to work in that environment so this among the push to get work done was the hardest part of the job.

After many changes to the system and ways of tracking things, they really went more for production then accuracy I feel.
Pros
they have a very casual dress code
Cons
not able to keep up with their work standards
phlebotomist
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 23, 2013
Drawing patients, drug screens and collecting specimens. I'm going to be taking my ASCP test for MLT. My goal is to start using my degree as a MLT.
Fired most mid-management who were higher paid/longest employees regardless of retirement date
Cancer Registrar (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 1, 2012
Physical conditions were less than desirable, smelled musty, very nice co-workers and management as well, though mid-management were all fired.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
assigned cancer abstracting tasks to coders, with no cancer abstracting training.