Dean Transportation Employee Reviews in United States

Outstanding Company
Driver (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJanuary 29, 2016
Dean is a wonderful company to work for. I have never worked for a company before that cares about me like Dean. My coworkers, supervisors and the owner are caring, compasionate and understanding. Extensive training is provided, benefits offered even though we are part time employees, job security, flexibility. It makes me feel good to know that I could be making a difference in a child's life just through my interaction with them each day. I like being a role model for them. Overall I highly recomend working for Dean and I don't plan on ever leaving that's how happy I am.
Pros
extensive CDL and safety training provided, fun job, working with children and coworkers, benefits, time off
Cons
driving in bad weather and dealing with bad drivers on the road
I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Grand Blanc/Birch Run MichiganMay 24, 2016
the worst management ever, unorganized and would never go back. the worst place I've ever worked (there 2X) the second time was just about as bad just in a different way.
the first time I was let go they made up about five reasons which none of them were true.
they fired me illegally but I found out too late to do anything about it. I would definitely never recommend this company to anyone ever.
Pros
I don't work there anymore.
Cons
Bad managemnt, unorganized and the pay was not worth the headache.
Love My Job
Bus driver (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIMay 5, 2016
I love my job! Everyone is so nice, and cares about others. I love to be able to work with children, and their parents. Some of the things I here make me laugh. The owner is an amazing guy, he does a lot for his workers.
Pros
meet new people all the time, the management care about their workers, just a great place to work
Cons
no pay durring days off
New
Attendant (Current Employee) –  Wixom, MIMay 8, 2016
New to job and so far I haven't an any issues. Everyone has been friendly to me. Families work her, husbands and wives, mothers and daughters. Its been a good experience. All of training is worth it. I've learned so much because of it.
Pros
nice lunch break
Cons
it's easier if you live close by
Fun, easy place to work
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Marysville, MIApril 29, 2016
Management takes charge of what needs to be done to keep runs going. They have open door policy and work with you and not against you.
Pros
pay, hours
Cons
healthcare
Customers are great and co-workers are friendly
Transit Driver (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MINovember 24, 2014
If all I had to rate were the customers and the co-workers then this would be an awesome job as they are both terrific! co-workers are eager to help each other and are all in a generally good mood. The customers are loyal and friendly. Those two things alone make the job pretty great.
However, some drawbacks are some high stress, mandatory overtime, split shifts, poor benefits, no paid holidays and very poor pay compared to others in the industry.
Pros
friendly atmosphere
Cons
poor pay and benefits, mandatory ot, no paid holidays
Multi-task work enviroment
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Huntley, ILJuly 25, 2013
I worked in an office with 3 other persons.
My area of concentration was focused on maintaining a fleet of over 200 trailers.
I worked closely with the distribution manager and the shop mechanic to insure all the fleet were running to DOT standards.
I monitored the diesel fuel tank daily and ordered fuel. I was responsible to modify the reports generated by the software we used to reflect 100% accuracy.
The hardest part of the job was maintaining a professional demeanor with abusive distributors or customers on the phone.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the variety of tasks I performed and the challenge of solving problems.
Pros
excellent benefits, casual office, close to home
Cons
had to work every saturday
Safety, productive and a team player with a great attitude
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 28, 2015
Safety is always first to me, making sure to follow all procedures off the road and on the road. I have learned how to deal with different age group of kids to keep a safe environment upon my bus. Management team is great, they are there when I need them and they make sure my co-workers an I work as a team. My job is not hard at no time because I keep a positive attitude which makes my job enjoyable while dealing with others.
Poor office management
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 14, 2013
A typical day at Dean Transportation would include gossiping. Employees pay and benefits are the lowest in this field among competitors. Office supervisor is very unprofessional; sharing employees personal information with others. The hardest part of the job was working without getting frustrated by how coworkers were being mistreated. The most enjoyable part of Dean were the children being transported.
Pros
relationship with children and parents created
Cons
poor pay and benefits
school bus driver
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MINovember 17, 2014
Dean Transportation is a really good place to work. They are a family orientated business Mr.Dean is awesome. He is a really caring man. I learned that not everyone you work with are descent people. The co workers were horrible to me, except for one. I came from a different background then them and it made is very hard for me. I have never worked with so many people who didn't care to do there job will just was there for a paycheck and that was it. No kind of work ethic at all. They did terrible things to me its what made me no longer want to be a bus driver so I retired in July of 2014. The supervisor was great but his boss was not. I didn't like a lot of upper management the didn't want to really deal with the parents, nor the community. They were actually scared to come to the site were transportation was being ran. The hardest part of this job was staying as long as I did. The most enjoyable part was the parents, the students and the community.
Pros
they treated us nice for holidays
Cons
co workers
great team work, split shifts, pay
Bus Attendant (Current Employee) –  Holland, MIJuly 5, 2015
Dean Transportation is a great place to work, there is a lot of responsibility for what you are paid. Split shift during the day. Very rewarding working with special needs students. Coworkers are terrific!
A safety guru
bus driver (Former Employee) –  holland michiganOctober 20, 2014
I have worked for public schools driving a school bus for special needs students and I have worked for Dean in Holland. Hands down Dean is the safer option for student travel! Dean provides a multitude of safety training, first aid, cpr, etc., and insures that its drivers are physically able to not only drive but to assist students in getting off the bus should that need ever arise. One of the public schools I worked at completely turned me off with their lack of safety training (none was offered ever), drivers pre-trip inspection could barely be considered an inspection, students in wheel chairs may or may not have been hooked in depending on the mood of the driver, my total busload was 4 students! Four students! and 2 of these were from the same home, many times I took out the bus for only these 2 students, one stop! Instead of putting them on a different bus that would pass by their home, I was paid to take te bus out, pick them up from school and take them to their house, a total trip of maybe 30 minutes. Any bus trip under one hour was still paid for one hour. And then there were the drivers...I have no clue why or how some of these people were allowed or able to drive. Don't get me wrong, some drivers were good and took their job seriously but some were barely able to walk (and this wasn't a temporary situation), they loaded and unloaded students so unsafely I would cringe. Radio checks which should be completed prior to leaving the bus parking lot were optional. A Saturday field trip had no one in the office nor was any operating procedure in place should I need to contact  more... someone for an emergency, accident, bus failure-no policy in place, no one to call and no phone numbers to reach anyone.
I would highly, HIGHLY recommend Dean Transportation if you are thinking of becoming a driver. True Dean may pay a bit less and benefits are not great but they are truly top of the line safety-wise, they do offer year round work and more than likely will get more hours per week.
Public school drivers almost always give Dean a bad name, trying to give a bad reputation but I honestly believe (for me) the public schools have the ugly reputation and Dean (in Holland) is top of the line.
Pros
tons of training
Cons
pay and benefits not as good as public schools
The hardest part of the job.
Special Needs Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIDecember 3, 2014
Very poor management in Traverse City, MI. The boss always had someone in the office over false pretenses and exaggerated issues. Someone was getting terminated on a weekly/monthly basis for no reason at all. Fellow employees agreed the reasons for being terminated was not due to poor performance but simply because of not being liked by the boss. Fellow employees also agree that it is unbelievable that our former boss is still there.
Pros
decent pay/many hours
Cons
very poor management (2007-2009)
Nice place to work
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 2, 2014
Dean Transportation is a nice place to work. Being a bus driver is a rewarding career if you like working with special needs children like I do. The co-workers and management are friendly.
Pros
working with special needs children makes me feel like im making a difference in the world.
Cons
the pay should be more and it's a seasonal postion
decent job with a union
Route Sales (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALFebruary 17, 2014
I would pre-trip my truck, if needed load my truck,drive to accounts , make deliveries, communicate with customers, and merchandise product. I learned more discipline as to maintaining a route properly to generate good commission. The management I answered to was poor. Some of my co-workers were a pleasure to work with. The hardest part of the job was accepting poor management. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that at one point I did see some growth financially.
Pros
i was apart of a union
Cons
equal opportunity
Management is Ruthless!
driver (Former Employee) –  Grand RapidsFebruary 27, 2014
This is a very rewarding job if you enjoy working with children with special needs but this company is not the place to be. The office is run totally unprofessionally. The transportation director favors a handful of drivers and makes it difficult for the other 70 drivers. Confidentiality is non existent! The management has shared very personal information with the other drivers so gossip runs rampant. The do supply paid training, do get you CDL and RUN!
Pros
working the children
Cons
very unprofessional managment
Rewarding and great people to work with!
Substitute Driver (Former Employee) –  St. Louis and Mount PleasantJune 11, 2013
My experience with the St. Louis and Mt. Pleasant staff was excellent. They were on top of things; communication was good; and they were always willing to work with your schedule. Most of all there is a sense of support and team effort when it comes to getting the job done. I certainly respect the life of a bus driver more now.
Pros
highly satisfying job working with special needs people.
Cons
split shifts
Very friendly atmosphere family like
Driver Helper (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MINovember 13, 2014
I enjoy my job it is busy and constant work always going makes time go by fast the most enjoyable part of the job is the people you pick up
Pros
love working with people
Cons
hard work not alot of time for self weather conditions
Great atmosphere
Bus Attendant (Current Employee) –  Roscommon, MISeptember 30, 2013
Dean transportation employees are great to work with, everyone gets along with each other well. A typical day at work consists of a morning run where you load students as they are picked up, and then they are taken to school. The afternoon run picks up students at school and transports them home. The hardest part of the job is the hours. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the students.
Pros
long lunch break
Cons
the hours
Rewarding job if you like working with special needs children
School Bus Attendant (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 16, 2013
Good hours for people seeking part time work. This job requires patience because you are working with children that have special needs, including behavioral issues. I've learned how different special needs communicate and how to respond back to them.
Pros
only work during school year
Cons
cannot draw unemployment during summer months