Dean Transportation Employee Reviews

great team work, split shifts, pay
Bus Attendant (Current Employee), Holland, MIJuly 5, 2015
Dean Transportation is a great place to work, there is a lot of responsibility for what you are paid. Split shift during the day. Very rewarding working with special needs students. Coworkers are terrific!
The hardest part of the job.
Special Needs Bus Driver (Former Employee), Traverse City, MIDecember 3, 2014
Pros: decent pay/many hours
Cons: very poor management (2007-2009)
Very poor management in Traverse City, MI. The boss always had someone in the office over false pretenses and exaggerated issues. Someone was getting terminated on a weekly/monthly basis for no reason at all. Fellow employees agreed the reasons for being terminated was not due to poor performance but simply because of not being liked by the boss. Fellow employees also agree that it is unbelievable that our former boss is still there.
Customers are great and co-workers are friendly
Transit Driver (Current Employee), Lansing, MINovember 24, 2014
Pros: friendly atmosphere
Cons: poor pay and benefits, mandatory ot, no paid holidays
If all I had to rate were the customers and the co-workers then this would be an awesome job as they are both terrific! co-workers are eager to help each other and are all in a generally good mood. The customers are loyal and friendly. Those two things alone make the job pretty great.
However, some drawbacks are some high stress, mandatory overtime, split shifts, poor benefits, no paid holidays and very poor pay compared to others in the industry.
school bus driver
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Muskegon, MINovember 17, 2014
Pros: they treated us nice for holidays
Cons: co workers
Dean Transportation is a really good place to work. They are a family orientated business Mr.Dean is awesome. He is a really caring man. I learned that not everyone you work with are descent people. The co workers were horrible to me, except for one. I came from a different background then them and it made is very hard for me. I have never worked with so many people who didn't care to do there job will just was there for a paycheck and that was it. No kind of work ethic at all. They did terrible things to me its what made me no longer want to be a bus driver so I retired in July of 2014. The supervisor was great but his boss was not. I didn't like a lot of upper management the didn't want to really deal with the parents, nor the community. They were actually scared to come to the site were transportation was being ran. The hardest part of this job was staying as long as I did. The most enjoyable part was the parents, the students and the community.
VERY FRIENDLY ATMOSPHERE FAMILY LIKE
Driver Helper (Current Employee), Lansing, MINovember 13, 2014
Pros: love working with people
Cons: hard work not alot of time for self weather conditions
I ENJOY MY JOB IT IS BUSY AND CONSTANT WORK ALWAYS GOING MAKES TIME GO BY FAST THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF THE JOB IS THE PEOPLE YOU PICK UP
A safety guru
bus driver (Former Employee), holland michiganOctober 20, 2014
Pros: tons of training
Cons: pay and benefits not as good as public schools
I have worked for public schools driving a school bus for special needs students and I have worked for Dean in Holland. Hands down Dean is the safer option for student travel! Dean provides a multitude of safety training, first aid, cpr, etc., and insures that its drivers are physically able to not only drive but to assist students in getting off the bus should that need ever arise. One of the public schools I worked at completely turned me off with their lack of safety training (none was offered ever), drivers pre-trip inspection could barely be considered an inspection, students in wheel chairs – more... may or may not have been hooked in depending on the mood of the driver, my total busload was 4 students! Four students! and 2 of these were from the same home, many times I took out the bus for only these 2 students, one stop! Instead of putting them on a different bus that would pass by their home, I was paid to take te bus out, pick them up from school and take them to their house, a total trip of maybe 30 minutes. Any bus trip under one hour was still paid for one hour. And then there were the drivers...I have no clue why or how some of these people were allowed or able to drive. Don't get me wrong, some drivers were good and took their job seriously but some were barely able to walk (and this wasn't a temporary situation), they loaded and unloaded students so unsafely I would cringe. Radio checks which should be completed prior to leaving the bus parking lot were optional. A Saturday field trip had no one in the office nor was any operating procedure in place should I need to contact someone for an emergency, accident, bus failure-no policy in place, no one to call and no phone numbers to reach anyone.
I would highly, HIGHLY recommend Dean Transportation if you are thinking of becoming a driver. True Dean may pay a bit less and benefits are not great but they are truly top of the line safety-wise, they do offer year round work and more than likely will get more hours per week.
Public school drivers almost always give Dean a bad name, trying to give a bad reputation but I honestly believe (for me) the public schools have the ugly reputation and Dean (in Holland) is top of the line. – less
Good place to settle once you've reached your goals.
Transit Operator (Current Employee), Lansing, MIJuly 19, 2014
Rewarding work providing a necessary service, hardest part of the job is the time challenges, weather conditions and personality conflicts.
A Good place to work
Transportation Specialist (Current Employee), Lansing, MIJuly 7, 2014
I enjoy working at Dean Transportation, it is family orientated and a wonderful place to start if you need work experience.
Nice place to work
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Lansing, MIJuly 2, 2014
Pros: working with special needs children makes me feel like im making a difference in the world.
Cons: the pay should be more and it's a seasonal postion
Dean Transportation is a nice place to work. Being a bus driver is a rewarding career if you like working with special needs children like I do. The co-workers and management are friendly.
Fun place to work
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIJune 11, 2014
Pros: meet tons of people and children
Cons: no summer work
Nice place to work, but there is no summer work available for company.
Management is Ruthless!
driver (Former Employee), Grand RapidsFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: working the children
Cons: very unprofessional managment
This is a very rewarding job if you enjoy working with children with special needs but this company is not the place to be. The office is run totally unprofessionally. The transportation director favors a handful of drivers and makes it difficult for the other 70 drivers. Confidentiality is non existent! The management has shared very personal information with the other drivers so gossip runs rampant. The do supply paid training, do get you CDL and RUN!
decent job with a union
Route Sales (Current Employee), Montgomery, ALFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: i was apart of a union
Cons: equal opportunity
I would pre-trip my truck, if needed load my truck,drive to accounts , make deliveries, communicate with customers, and merchandise product. I learned more discipline as to maintaining a route properly to generate good commission. The management I answered to was poor. Some of my co-workers were a pleasure to work with. The hardest part of the job was accepting poor management. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that at one point I did see some growth financially.
Great atmosphere
Bus Attendant (Current Employee), Roscommon, MISeptember 30, 2013
Pros: long lunch break
Cons: the hours
Dean transportation employees are great to work with, everyone gets along with each other well. A typical day at work consists of a morning run where you load students as they are picked up, and then they are taken to school. The afternoon run picks up students at school and transports them home. The hardest part of the job is the hours. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the students.
Multi-task work enviroment
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee), Huntley, ILJuly 25, 2013
Pros: excellent benefits, casual office, close to home
Cons: had to work every saturday
I worked in an office with 3 other persons.
My area of concentration was focused on maintaining a fleet of over 200 trailers.
I worked closely with the distribution manager and the shop mechanic to insure all the fleet were running to DOT standards.
I monitored the diesel fuel tank daily and ordered fuel. I was responsible to modify the reports generated by the software we used to reflect 100% accuracy.
The hardest part of the job was maintaining a professional demeanor with abusive distributors or customers on the phone.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the variety of tasks I performed and the challenge of solving problems.
Rewarding and great people to work with!
Substitute Driver (Former Employee), St. Louis and Mount PleasantJune 11, 2013
Pros: highly satisfying job working with special needs people.
Cons: split shifts
My experience with the St. Louis and Mt. Pleasant staff was excellent. They were on top of things; communication was good; and they were always willing to work with your schedule. Most of all there is a sense of support and team effort when it comes to getting the job done. I certainly respect the life of a bus driver more now.
Great group of people to work with. We take great lengths to provide a safe transport to and from school and home for these very special children that
Bus attendent for special needs children (Current Employee), Holland, MIJune 9, 2013
Pros: always striving to make someone's day brighter and better!
Cons: the split shift and gas prices and travel time.
I am up at 5:00 am and drive to Holland every morning to be a positive experience in transportation for special needs children.
I drive 20 min. to work, am on the bus for approximately two hours. I drive home 20 min. to my home and return for two hours to pick up the children up from school and deliver them to their parents.
I am finished for the day and drive 20 min. home.
I have learned that these special needs children quite often are locked inside their own bodies. All are unique, many are crippled, can't speak, walk or eat by mouth. They all teach and bless me beyond what you could ever imagine. – more... If I can communicate with them just with eye contact or by stroking their hair, making them laugh, etc. then I have accomplished my job for the day.
Dean Transportation is a wonderful company and my co-workers are like family. We all have the same goal. We try our best to give these children a great experience transporting to school and the ability to learn at their own pace with a lot of encouragement.
The hardest part of this job is the split shift and the gas prices for all of my travel to and from work.
The most enjoyable part of this job is to make them smile and to always be their encourager and cheer leader! – less
Poor office management
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIMay 14, 2013
Pros: relationship with children and parents created
Cons: poor pay and benefits
A typical day at Dean Transportation would include gossiping. Employees pay and benefits are the lowest in this field among competitors. Office supervisor is very unprofessional; sharing employees personal information with others. The hardest part of the job was working without getting frustrated by how coworkers were being mistreated. The most enjoyable part of Dean were the children being transported.
Rewarding job if you like working with special needs children
School Bus Attendant (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MIApril 16, 2013
Pros: only work during school year
Cons: cannot draw unemployment during summer months
Good hours for people seeking part time work. This job requires patience because you are working with children that have special needs, including behavioral issues. I've learned how different special needs communicate and how to respond back to them.
Dean Transportation
Bus aid (Current Employee), Muskegon, MIFebruary 25, 2013
Well a Typical day at work i love the fact i have a good relationship with my boos and it makes me happy to see are co- workers get alone and i learn how to be a great bus aid woth working with Dean Transportation the hardest part about my job is when the kids dont listen but for the most part i love my job what i enjoy about my job is when i see the kids and they give me and my driver a good day.
fun working with kids
special needs School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 20, 2013
Pros: great people to work with
Cons: split shift
I like to think I made a difference in these special needs kids life & education