Dean Transportation Employee Reviews

worst place ever
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 30, 2017
management could care less about the drivers. they offer horrible health insurance at high costs. students are noisy on the bus and rude,unsafe bus ride
This job definitely has its pro's and con's, it's not for everyone
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 18, 2017
Very early morning hours, during the day you have breaks in between runs and don't get paid for in between time, cannot collect unemployment, it's very hard to get a full week in, your considered a part time employee so they get away with not offering many benefits that other jobs would, your working with mentally and physically handicapped children which can be hard at times it's not for everyone! They never have enough employees to cover runs out can be a mess at times, if you enjoy helping children the job can be very rewarding,
Pros
Working with children, nice if you enjoy a lot of time off
Cons
Where do I begin?
Great responsibility in keeping children safe.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIFebruary 19, 2017
I pick up around 50 children in the morning take them to school safely. In the afternoon I drop them off at their homes safely. I enjoy my boss and co-workers. The hardest part is, that many kids are very noisy. The most enjoyable part of the job is going home knowing all the kids made it home safely that day. Very rewarding.
Pros
We get free dinner twice a year.
Cons
Kids are loud.
Working with Kids who Dont have Transportation to School
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 24, 2017
management sucks the management needs to lookout for their workers and pay should be more than $15 dollars and hour and deal with bad kids in the school system
Pros
great pay
Cons
No work in the Summer time
the most enjoyable part of transporting students.
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 18, 2017
enjoy the variety of all school ages! Dean Transportation was always up to date with current DOT laws,they always had seminars and continued education classes.
Pros
excellent management.
Cons
i had to drive in Michigan's winter weather.
Dean Transportation has some good supervisors and managers but also too many substandard managers, drivers and aides are generally good.
School Bus Driver Special Needs (Former Employee) –  Calhoun County, MIJanuary 6, 2017
The drivers and aides are the backbone of the company and are generally very good taking care of all students maintaining often difficult schedules. Managers are the weak link of the operations, some are good and others terrible taking advantages of senior management, drivers and aides. Kellie Dean would do much better trusting the drivers, aides and union officials instead of his managers.
Pros
Good managers make the company better.
Cons
Bad managers are Dean's primary problems.
nice work enviorment
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 6, 2017
co workers are great. we were family like. I learned how to dive a bus. hardest part of the job was getting the children to cooperate
Pros
not enough hours
Cons
summers off
Fun working place and always on the road
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Albion, MIDecember 28, 2016
I loved working here as i loved my co workers and the fun we had. I liked working with the special needs children and adults.
Pros
Owner is very nice and has a awsome program when you are in need of money
Cons
Mangement does need worked on in other locations
Caring people always putting the needs of the riders first.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIDecember 8, 2016
Go go go for 10 months, never work a holiday or a weekend. When the kids are off we are off. Four day weekend for Thanksgiving, week off for Christmas and then it is Spring break. Don't forget ten weeks for summer. This job has a lot of responsibility, your responsible for other peoples children. I didn't have any problems with the supervisor, seemed really tough kinda stand offish but always fair with me, by the way I'm not perfect by any measure. The owner "walks on water" the second nicest boss I've ever had.
Pros
$15.00 an hour
Cons
Daily chaos everyday just a little different
The management in Traverse office is a joke!
Bus Attendant (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MINovember 29, 2016
The supervisor is a joke who is a liar. The special needs children are the best part! The New Campus kid's are the reason NOT to get a job there along with that joke of a supervisor! Out of 5 stars she does not even get a single star.
Pros
Special Need students
Cons
New Campus students, supervisor
I love working with Deon and the people who work there also
Attendant (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIOctober 31, 2016
I enjoyed working for Dean Transportation everyone worked together and i got alone with everyone there and i will tell anyone that Dean is a great company to work with
Do not work here!!!
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIOctober 8, 2016
The actual job is very fullfilling, working with special needs kids was an awesome experience. Deans does offer the best training out of anybody... And that's where the good ends. If you enjoy working with truly toxic people and absolutely horrible management than this job is for you. There was zero communication, zero accountability. People were and still are cutting corners and someone is going to get seriously hurt. Again like I said the actual job, working with the kids, was amazing. But because of horrible co-workers (not everyone) and even worse management I left.
Cons
Horrible benefits, zero accountability
I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Grand Blanc/Birch Run MichiganMay 24, 2016
the worst management ever, unorganized and would never go back. the worst place I've ever worked (there 2X) the second time was just about as bad just in a different way.
the first time I was let go they made up about five reasons which none of them were true.
they fired me illegally but I found out too late to do anything about it. I would definitely never recommend this company to anyone ever.
Pros
I don't work there anymore.
Cons
Bad managemnt, unorganized and the pay was not worth the headache.
New
Attendant (Current Employee) –  Wixom, MIMay 8, 2016
New to job and so far I haven't an any issues. Everyone has been friendly to me. Families work her, husbands and wives, mothers and daughters. Its been a good experience. All of training is worth it. I've learned so much because of it.
Pros
nice lunch break
Cons
it's easier if you live close by
Fun, easy place to work
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Marysville, MIApril 29, 2016
Management takes charge of what needs to be done to keep runs going. They have open door policy and work with you and not against you.
Pros
pay, hours
Cons
healthcare
Outstanding Company
Driver (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJanuary 29, 2016
Dean is a wonderful company to work for. I have never worked for a company before that cares about me like Dean. My coworkers, supervisors and the owner are caring, compasionate and understanding. Extensive training is provided, benefits offered even though we are part time employees, job security, flexibility. It makes me feel good to know that I could be making a difference in a child's life just through my interaction with them each day. I like being a role model for them. Overall I highly recomend working for Dean and I don't plan on ever leaving that's how happy I am.
Pros
extensive CDL and safety training provided, fun job, working with children and coworkers, benefits, time off
Cons
driving in bad weather and dealing with bad drivers on the road
Dean is a good company
Attendant (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIJanuary 6, 2016
Management is great
Coworkers become like family
You grow to love and learn so much from the students
Great training provided
The hardest part of the job is the split shift
The relations you create are the most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
Overall good company with great people and experiences with students
Cons
Not enough hours to make enough money to live off
Safety, productive and a team player with a great attitude
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 28, 2015
Safety is always first to me, making sure to follow all procedures off the road and on the road. I have learned how to deal with different age group of kids to keep a safe environment upon my bus. Management team is great, they are there when I need them and they make sure my co-workers an I work as a team. My job is not hard at no time because I keep a positive attitude which makes my job enjoyable while dealing with others.
great team work, split shifts, pay
Bus Attendant (Current Employee) –  Holland, MIJuly 5, 2015
Dean Transportation is a great place to work, there is a lot of responsibility for what you are paid. Split shift during the day. Very rewarding working with special needs students. Coworkers are terrific!
The hardest part of the job.
Special Needs Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIDecember 3, 2014
Very poor management in Traverse City, MI. The boss always had someone in the office over false pretenses and exaggerated issues. Someone was getting terminated on a weekly/monthly basis for no reason at all. Fellow employees agreed the reasons for being terminated was not due to poor performance but simply because of not being liked by the boss. Fellow employees also agree that it is unbelievable that our former boss is still there.
Pros
Decent pay/many hours
Cons
Very poor management (2007-2009)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dean Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval