Deb Shops Employee Reviews

I loved working Retail.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  flint, michiganMay 14, 2015
Deb shops was one of my favorite places to shop, when I was able to work there it got even better. I loved working retail and I loved everything about the company. I never had any problems with anyone and I loved going up to customers helping them put outfits together and seeing there happy faces. Each day was a blast because my coworkers and customers always made it even more fun to be a part of such a great company.
Pros
Discount on clothes, making customers happy.
Self assuring.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDMay 7, 2015
While working here I would work mornings or evenings and it was laid back on week days. Most the time i worked on shipment and went around cleaning up the store and putting items back on the correct rack.
Pros
Fairly simple
Cons
Rude manager
Productive place to work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 28, 2015
Most enjoyable part of the job was definitely the customer interaction. Loved working with people and making people smile.
Fun atmosphere
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashua NHApril 28, 2015
Before Deb Shops went out of business, a typical day started with me opening the store, counting the money from the closing night before, making a deposit to the bank, loading paperwork for the day, changing promotions and window displays, taking out trash, cleaning windows and mirrors, checking schedules, tracking sales percentages for our perfumes and other hot items, contacting the district manager with any updates asked for.
At 10am I would open the gates and serve customers, help them into outfits, advise on styles and sizes. I would also stock merchandize while working the registers.
Closing I would clean up the store for the next day, count down all the registers, make up the deposits for the next morning, track any possible broken or stolen merchandize, email district with sales reports and percentages.

During every season there would be a floor change, where the staff would come in at night and change the store to a new look. We would take down everything from the walls and isles and replace them with new merchandise in new locations and looks. Then we would price down the older styles and move them to the clearance area.
Pros
40% off employee discount
Cons
no dental and bad health coverage
Busy
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Massena, NYApril 22, 2015
Deb Shops is no longer available to the public. All stores have been shut down which is sad because it was my favorite store to shop at with the best deals.
Overall amazing place to work.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORApril 20, 2015
I LOVED working for Deb Shops, it was my home away from home.
The girls I worked with became family after working there for three years. I learned everything I know about being in retail management by working there. Every day was a challenge, between constant not to mention last minute promotion changes, and lists upon lists of markdowns, but I LOVE a good challenge. Working for Deb Shops was one of the most physically demanding jobs I've ever had, and my other two managers would agree with me. If you can work at Deb Shops and last there... You can work anywhere
Pros
Awesome people
Cons
Not good pay
Managed and controlled expenses for store.
Store Manager/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNApril 8, 2015
Coached and trained associates
How to run a store
Controlled expenses
Developed a good team of valuable employees
Higher level management changing to often
Merchandising and working with the customers
Loved the Job
Cashier, Sales Associate, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Omaha NeMarch 31, 2015
I loved working at Deb but sadly the company made poor choices and ended up going bankrupt. The people i worked with have become a second family for me and we still hang out often and talk about how our lives are all getting split up now. The hardest part the the job was closing, so many bitter sweet moments. But the best part were some of the regular customers that came in and became close friends with.
Pros
People, customers, laid back enviorment, hours
Cons
pay, shop lifters, closing/ laid off
It was a good place to work at but u were always on call so there was no family time
Store manager (Former Employee) –  san antonio txMarch 31, 2015
Opened store and catered to customer with their needs. Out upper management was there to assist us with any questions that we may have we could call them at any time and they would answer. We could lean on our co- workers to help us with system questions. The hardest part of our job was the closing process once we were in liquidation that is when everything changed and was no longer about standers. The most enjoyable part was sealing to the customer finding out where the were going and what they were looking for. Just to see them leave with something for them selves that they actual loved and were ready to wear.
I wouldn't refer someone to work at the location I worked at for this business
CASHIER/SALES ASSOCIATES (Former Employee) –  1101 Outlet Collection Way,Auburn,WA 98001March 30, 2015
My typical day at this place of employment was a busy, fast paced & very customer service oriented. I've learned at this company, that even if the manager treats you as an apprentice, compared to all the other employees, you still do your job to the best of your ability no matter how the store manager or a higher authority treats you. When applying for employment you don't look for work, based on the store managers, you apply for work because its you, you who are motivated to better your financial life or provide for your family. You do your job duties because they are your job duties & you applied & signed the application to be the best employee you can be no matter what the circumstances. Management is different at every place you work but at this specific location of this company, the management was like high school all over again. The more hip employees were favored by the store manager & the less hip employees were left out of the group. Being treated less appreciated & more over worked at the store. Co-workers at this store were just that, Co-Workers, we came to work to do our job & keep our job. The store manager had the employees competing against each other than working with each other, we felt we had to compete to become her favorite because her favorite employee had the most hours. It was a tiring & depressing job that I dreaded going to, based on how the Store Manager unprofessionally ran the store. The hardest part of my job was being treated the way I was being treated & not walking out on the job because my family & I was dependent on the income I was bringing  more... in. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting through the work day without being told what to do because I was already 2 steps ahead of my job duties. I did get switched around a lot but that's because I was always doing my job as fast & as best as I could. I enjoyed accomplishing my work week receiving my hard work earnings.  less
Pros
Getting paid, getting to work on the register, getting to help customers, around the holidays one of the managers brought home-made Red-Velvet Cheese Cake
Cons
Store Manager made most of the employees feel like quitting, unappreciated, competing with other part-time employees for full-time position hours
Productive and fun work place with wonderful co workers
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDMarch 27, 2015
I love working as part of a team to help customers find what they need or to answer any questions to ensure they have a great experience shopping with us.
Poor workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grandville, MIMarch 19, 2015
My job consisted of being a fitting room attendant and taking care of customers needs. The management at this corporation was lacking in customer care. This company has since closed all their stores.
Pros
discounts on clothing
Cons
poor workplace environment and lack of structure
fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILMarch 18, 2015
I enjoyed the ladies that I worked with. I also enjoyed making displays ans floor sets. I learned a lot about customer service as well.
worked with a variety of people
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARMarch 16, 2015
Open the store, run to the bank with the deposits on certain days, count down the tills to open the store, clean and organize, customer service, paperwork and email, follow everyday tasks, and at closing we count down the drawers, take out the deposit in each drawer, lock that up, then close the store
Pros
great experience
Cons
going out of business
loved working here
Part time manager (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WAMarch 13, 2015
A typical worked day a Deb shop, i would open the store get the tills, count the money, then start the morning paper work as in, what person will be in what area for the day. Then open the store and help the customers.

From working at Deb shops i learned how to be a great manager, that i am great at leading a team and i have great people skills.

The hardest part of my job was leaving, the store is closing down and at the time of my leave i had medical issues that i needed to handle
Pros
great team to work with
Cons
messy store
Fun and friendly work environment
Assistant manager (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILMarch 12, 2015
Typical day at work is helping customers to ensure they are finding everything they need to have a enjoyable shopping experience. My co-workers are the best part about my job here, they have helped me learn so much and I feel I have also helped them. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the stress of holiday shopping.
Great place!!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MAMarch 11, 2015
My average day at Deb consisted of sales planning and review, employee training and development, visual merchandising, customer service, developing and communicating direct reports, and overseeing daily operations. I also had to network to recruit and hire top talent, and create a productive schedule for everyone employed in my location.
Productive cutting-edge workplace.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYMarch 10, 2015
I loved, loved, loved this job at Deb! A typical day included greeting customers as they walked through the door, walked the sales floor, told the customers about our deals and sales that we had going on. I would help a customer make a decision about an item they debated on purchasing, gave them advice, answered all their questions, helped them find what they were looking for, I returned clothes and accessories back on their proper shelves after the customer decided they didn't want them. I also rung up their items and put them in a bag, ect. I also opened new shipment and put them on the shelves. I learned a lot about retail and I am so glad that it was my first job, I also learned how to operate a cash register. The management is very friendly and upbeat and always understanding. My co-workers were so helpful and encouraging and always had motivation to help customers. There really wasn't a hard part of the job. I enjoyed all of it! Every single day I loved being there.
Pros
great breaks and great customers and co-workers.
Worked hard for company and stayed through liquidation
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint Clairsville, OHMarch 6, 2015
A typical day at Deb Shops consists of communicating with customers, running the cash wrap, doing bank runs, keeping the store tidy, paper work, etc. The management team and coworkers are fantastic to work for and with. The hardest part of the job is dealing with stubborn customers. The most enjoyable part is satisfying the customers. Working at Deb has taught me patience and without a doubt hard-work.

I've stayed with the company for a year and a half. I've been through countless managers and coworkers within that time. The company liquidating has caused me to find another job. We had an assistant manger leave a month and a half into the liquidation, with her doing so I was asked to step up and take her position. I am staying with the company until March 22, 2015, the closing date.

With that being said, I am a dedicated hard-worker that does not give up.
Pros
great environment/coworkers
Cons
no raises as a sales associate
Productive and fun work place
Part-time assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXFebruary 26, 2015
Fun, up beat job selling clothes, shoes, and accessories.
Management is awesome.
The hardest part of the job is working the down times, it's a little slow and you have to keep yourself busy.