Deb Shops Employee Reviews

Worked hard for company and stayed through liquidation
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint Clairsville, OHMarch 6, 2015
A typical day at Deb Shops consists of communicating with customers, running the cash wrap, doing bank runs, keeping the store tidy, paper work, etc. The management team and coworkers are fantastic to work for and with. The hardest part of the job is dealing with stubborn customers. The most enjoyable part is satisfying the customers. Working at Deb has taught me patience and without a doubt hard-work.

I've stayed with the company for a year and a half. I've been through countless managers and coworkers within that time. The company liquidating has caused me to find another job. We had an assistant manger leave a month and a half into the liquidation, with her doing so I was asked to step up and take her position. I am staying with the company until March 22, 2015, the closing date.

With that being said, I am a dedicated hard-worker that does not give up.
Pros
Great environment/coworkers
Cons
No raises as a sales associate
They no longer exist
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 17, 2017
The company filed for bankruptcy several times before closing its' doors for good. Their clothing was cheap and generally overpriced anyway.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Great work enviroment
Associate Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Stroudsburg, PASeptember 8, 2016
High energy active day. There was always plenty to do and people to speak to. Management was good and very knowledgeable. The staff worked great together ensuring all daily tasks were done in a timely manner.
Pros
Very high energy store
Cons
management no breaks
Terrible...
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Westland, MiJanuary 4, 2013
Management is the worst. Some co-workers were terrible, while others were great. There are on-call shifts, which are horrible. Sometimes you get called in on your day off, and sometimes you end up working 7+ days straight. Hardly ever get off on time. Some co-workers aren't serious about job and slack. Hardest part is working the back of the store by yourself when it's busy..you have no time to keep up with your area and no one barely helps you. Hours constantly get cut. Requested days off are hard to get. Absolutely no chance of advancement within company. They always hire manages from outside instead of promoting from within. Some customers were terrible, too, but that's expected. Only good thing that came from this was the experience I gained and helping others.
Pros
....none
Cons
no chance for advancement/raises. getting called in on only days off.
Started well, went downhill fast
mid level manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 26, 2013
Started great. Good pay, good management, good culture. After the company was sold, it went downhill fast. Benefits were cut drastically, 401k match was eliminated, and raises were non existent for years. It quickly became a cut throat culture, and upper management was the cause. The managers only looked out for themselves and never stood up for the associates under them. There was no opportunity to advance and no explanation why. Questioning them was a sin and put you on the fast track to unemployment. The blame game and finger pointing was prominent. My back was stabbed multiple times and my management never came to my defense, even though I had explained that it was no fault of my own. Turnover is the norm here. Only select upper management have tenure. My advice is to watch your back, and always keep your eyes open for other opportunities...
By the way, this review is from a former employee from the corporate headquarters...
Cons
too many to list.
nope
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDJanuary 20, 2017
I liked the doctors and nurses. I enjoyed working there. I recommend this place for this position. This is a place where you can advance if you put your mind to it.
T in Teamwork
Customer Service Professional/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 30, 2016
A typical Work day at Deb's started with a Morning bank run with the Store Manager.Where we would make bank deposit and got change for the store if needed. The Store Manager and I then headed back to the store, to get it ready for business that day.While working there I got promoted to Key Holder.I learned so more.I learned how to manage the store, team work, patients and how to conduct great customer service for the customer. And how to handle myself in a professional manner. I loved working with my co-workers. we put the T in teamwork, we work together to get the job done.the most enjoyable part of working for Deb's,is when we had a fashion show for High School Prom. We had models to come in the dress up in Prom dresses and show them off.
Pros
great co-works
Cons
company went out of business
Fun and Unique place to work in
Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNJune 27, 2016
I met so many new people from so many different walks of life while working here and made relationships I never would've formed anywhere else but there. On a corprate level there was many issues that effected the chain and every single store as a whole.Yeah, we got screwed when they went bankrupt and promotions were next to impossible to get, but it was a blast working there. I loved my coworkers and the fun uplifting environment I got to work in everyday.
Productive and very fun work place.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, TNDecember 26, 2016
It was always fun working at Debs. The managers made sure each day was never the same. The workdays were always so enjoyable
Love
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHDecember 16, 2016
I had such an awesome time working for DEB. This was my first job and I wish I could say it would've been my last, such an awesome environment.
Pros
People
Cons
They closed
Good First Job
Assistant Manager/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Strongsville, OhioNovember 12, 2012
Overall, I did enjoy my job at DEB up until the end. It was not a hard job, just a very unreliable company with unreliable employees.

I started out as a sales associate at DEB and worked my way up to being a part-time assistant manager. However, this is not the best company to work for. There is a very high turnover rate because the company does not seem to care about its employees. I worked there for 4 years and only received a raise when I was promoted to an assistant manager. I did not receive benefits or paid time off either. Also, even tho I was supposed to be part-time I normally ended up working full-time hours without the full-time benefits.

My responsibilities, besides managing the store and associates, included extensive customer service, managing the cash register and money, creating unique store displays, and managing the WEB IM successfully.
Pros
nice discount on clothes
Cons
high turnover rate
Productive, hard-working, and orderly business
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Township of Deptford, NJJune 16, 2016
I truly enjoyed working here at the Deb Shop. It was very unfortunate that we went out of business but I personally learned a lot from the time I was employed and it was a great first experience in retail. I learned how to work as a team to accomplish things, take responsibility and work under stressful conditions successfully. My managers were also very understanding and helpful and I believe they are a major key to my retail success. My co-workers were also very useful and helpful. Whenever a load of work was to be done, no matter how short of staff there was, they always found a way to help.
Pros
Luncheons, Planned trips outside of work, Lasting Friendships
Cons
Breaks were too short, short staff on occasions
Deb Shops Sales Associate Review
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greendale, WIOctober 21, 2013
On a daily basis I would have to multi-task several duties, customer service, answer customers questions and concerns, cashier, clean the store after hours and put things back where they belong.

Working at debs I had to learn how to take on two big responsibilities: quickly trying to learn how to manage my last year of high school and my first job.

Management was very friendly and knew the difference between play time and work time.

My co-workers we're all really bubbly and down to earth.

The hardest part of the job was having to take in so many disrespectful attitudes.

The most enjoyable part of the job was putting some of my style into someone else's life.
Pros
Working to feel independent
Cons
Low wages, no benefits, short breaks
Great Team and work environment, with benefits.
Co-Manager (Current Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILMay 9, 2013
At Deb my day would consist of pushing quality customer service from my staff as well as myself, promoting sales, tasking, and loss prevention( preventing theft internally, externally, and through paperwork errors.). My team or co-workers are the reason I have not left after all this time. We have developed a great team and even the girls that go off to school come back to work summers or just to visit. The hardest part of the job for me would be dealing with theft issues. I used to love catching the perpetrators and retrieving our merchandise but it has taken its toll on me. I would like a less stressful job in that area.The most enjoyable part of the job is making the bonds with our customers and staff. I have a lot of fond memories at Deb and I am grateful for the experiences that I have gained.
Pros
Benefits, bonuses and happy customers
Cons
no overtime, little advancement opportunity and work overload, due to short staff and high tasking on a low budget.
Productive fun place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDSeptember 16, 2016
Increased sales, lowered shrink results, and controlled payroll expenses  Trained a team into being responsible and accountable for their actions  Made sure storefront displays and windows were to company standards
Pros
GREAT DISTRICT MANAGER GREAT CHANCES TO ADVANCE TO HIGHER POSITIONS
Cons
NEVER REMODELED STORE
summary of DEB Clothing
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago Ridge, ILSeptember 24, 2016
So they were really unorganized. I wasn't even on schedule, like ever, during my whole time here. I would have to call everyday and get my schedule. they manager would always argue with her employees and again things were just never organized.
Pros
discount clothing
Cons
the whole experience overall
Young Girl Clolthes
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls txJanuary 16, 2015
Keeping the work environment neat and clean.
• Ensuring that all products or merchandise are placed in their respective areas.
• Ensuring that all stock is replenished.
• Helping customers locate merchandise or find suitable alternatives.
• Participating in periodic team meetings.
• Actively engaged in developing more effective customer service skills.
• Being knowledgeable about the benefits and uses of each product.
• Communicating with managers regarding customer concerns and employee matters.
• Greeting customers with a positive demeanor.
• Maintaining an enthusiastic and upbeat personality.
• Handling sales transactions, which may include operating cash registers.
• Providing honest and positive feedback to customers regarding the best products that fit the customers’ expectations.
Pros
40% off discount
Cons
Hour Lunch
Great Work Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, INOctober 10, 2016
This company was a good one to work for. The people were great. The store had awesome clothing and plenty of women who loved to shop there. Unfortunately this store is no longer in business.
Productive and fun workplace
Store Manager/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILApril 12, 2015
A typical day at Deb Shops included building loyal clientele by providing exceptional customer service, merchandising new product. I was hired on with the company with the title of Assistant Store Manager. During my time as an assistant I learned to train and develop staff to company expectations, scheduling, and interview potential candidates etc. The hardest part of the job was the difficulty of over-tasking. The most enjoyable part of the job was building a loyal clientele by being able to adapt to each and every customer.
Pros
Benefits, Schedule Flexibility, PTO
Cons
No Loss Provention staff
Productive outgoing place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bristol, VAJune 9, 2013
The best part of my day is meeting new customers and helping them with our sales at the time and i aslo like when we have our usuals come in because that shows me and my co-workers we really made an impact on them and that they know they will get quality service from us.

One of the hardest situations I hate to encouter is when a customer is looking for something certain and we do not sell that product, but most of the time I can show them a similar item and it helps them with there needs.
Pros
Meeting new customer, working with my team
Cons
no benifits, no room for promotions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Deb Shops. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8