Debenhams PLC

Debenhams PLC Employer Reviews

stay away
Loss Prevention officer (Former Employee), WhitecityJuly 29, 2014
I would never work here again. Management are very rude and have no respect for its employees.
Good Job
Sales Advisor (Former Employee), Derby, ENGJuly 19, 2014
This job was a structured job with set hours & shifts. Responsibility was delegated each shift allowing for the development of my organisational skills.
Also, being the role of Sales Adviser, it helped me greatly develop my customer relation & communication skills.
Great Workplace
Sales Advisor (Current Employee), LeicesterJuly 7, 2014
I would start work and greet my fellow team members on the way to my side of the store. i learned all the ins and outs in the retail industry. My mangers were great very polite and very helpful always at hands reach if you needed anything. My fellow team members are all very down to earth and friendly. The hardest part of the job is when you get loaded – more... with a heap full of paperwork but all in all Debenhams is a very good environment to work in. – less
Fun Workplace
Sample Administrator (Former Employee), London, ENGJuly 6, 2014
Pros: canteen with cheap meals for staff.
Cons: none really
Regular 9-5 job....learned some administration skills....co workers where friendly....no really hard parts of the job....most enjoyable part was the learning of different skills and abilities.
Enjoyable Christmas Work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), BromleyJune 13, 2014
I spent just over two months working at Debenhams Bromley Store, in that short period of time I learnt a number of skills and built close relationships with my fellow team members. My main duty was to deal with Debenhams online/ in store order service, my responsibilities ranged from scanning in cages of packages, answering customer enquiries, and of – more... course collecting and processing orders for customers. – less
Good Workplace
Sales Advisor (Current Employee), Carmarthen, WLSApril 29, 2014
Pros: employee discount
Cons: salary
I find it a nice place to work, I get on well with my colleagues
not bad not the best
Full time Merchandiser (Current Employee), Glasgow, SCTApril 9, 2014
good if you just get your head down and do your best but have t odeal with too many egos
Very rewarding
Sales Manager (Current Employee), Witney, OxfordshireFebruary 9, 2014
If you want to climb higher with a lot of variety of role then Debenhams is for you
Productive fun but tiring work place
Christmas Temp, Childrenswear (Former Employee), Croydon, ENGFebruary 8, 2014
Pros: 20% discount, 40% discount on resturaunt, long lunch hours
Cons: long hours
Worked in Childrenswear as a temporary advisor for 2 months. It was a great experience and they teach you everything you need to know! Paid training, on floor support. Really friendly staff and lovely manager! However, working on childresnwear was tiring because you were constantly picking up stock that children had thrown down and parents could be – more... quite rude. Also some long hours, so if you have a social life, this job isn't for you!

Overall: Friendly, busy working environment with staff happy to help you – less
Great company to work for. Friendly enviroment.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Folkestone, ENGFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: career path and discount
Cons: long hours
A typical day was full of enjoyment, great for experience and also brilliant prospects for working your way up the career ladder.
The hardest part was the long hours for sale days working up to and even past midnight sometimes.
Perks discount off products and even more discount off sale items.
Co-workers are friendly and helpful.
Great Staff, Poor Management
Assistant Sales Advisor (Current Employee), Fareham, ENGJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: staff enviroment, discounts
Working with Debenhams PLC at the moment I have found out that the work force are genuinely nice people who have seen this job as a way to promote their skills and learn more about the retail environment. Unfortunately the current management does not portray that. It fells like the management currently live in completely separate worlds to the shop – more... floor workers where everything is okay and a customer never complains. – less
Very local to where I lived
Sales Advisor - Lingerie Department (Former Employee), Wimbledon, ENGJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: location
Cons: salary
I was the regional bra fitter so I was responsible for training staff, I helped customers with their enquiries as well as measure and fit them as well as merchandising, stock order and communicated with other departments and stores.
I learnt how to measure
Great management
worked with a verity of people which was a great experience
The hardest part – more... of the was clearing up after a blue cross sale
The most enjoyable part of the job was the excitement before the doors open for a sale – less
Department Store
Senior Sales Advisor (Former Employee), LeedsDecember 30, 2013
Pros: staff dicount
Cons: unsociable hours
My typical day started opening tills on the shop floor. Attending morning meeting and cascading any relevant information to other staff. Training staff on and off the shop floor and highlighting any staff training needs. I would also deal with any customer complaint and escalate them where required. My co-workers were helpful and friendly.
A good retail experience but unpredictable hours.
Sales Advisor (Former Employee), Llandudno, WLSNovember 27, 2013
Pros: good experience, good people.
Cons: unpredictable hours, unrealistic expectations from management.
Working in Debenhams was a great retail experience for me as I had not worked in large scale retail before this position. I gained a good understanding of how most retail business's operate both behind the till and on the shop floor.
Great Team - Poor Advancement
Senior Sales Advisor (Current Employee), LondonNovember 11, 2013
Pros: lovely staff
Cons: long hours, no progression
Debenhams is a lovely place to work - if you are a student, or somebody just wishing to gain experience within a retail organisation. The teams you work with are amazing, and everybody is like one big happy family.

However - when it comes to progressing, or wish to work in retail as a career: bad choice my friend. There is lack of support, management – more... is extremely selfish. – less
Work Environment
Selling Support Supervisor / Store Trainor (Current Employee), Newry, NIROctober 16, 2013
Debenhams is an enjoyable place to work with great personal development potential in the retail sector.
Busy, productive enviroment.
Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee), Exeter, ENGOctober 14, 2013
As a Merchandiser the days run Monday to Friday from 6-3 or 7-4.

It starts with recovering the shop floor from the previous day. followed by working 'Picks' of previous days sales and then deliveries of new stock.

Communication is average to poor, and unless you are friends with the right people then there is little chance of progression in the store.
good place to work
Sales Adviser (Current Employee), London, ENGOctober 14, 2013
Pros: n/a
Cons: long hours
good and excieting meeting new people all the time and helping them to choose what the customer wants so that they live very happy
Fun place but at times difficult
Sales Advisor (Current Employee), Bury, ENGOctober 3, 2013
I work in the perfume department and I love my job. I get on very well with my colleguesand I enjoy working with all the different perfumes. However, at times I feel staff can be underappreciated which is quite sad. Other than that I very much enjoy working there.
Good Company to work for
Food Services Assistant (Former Employee), BanburyAugust 28, 2013
Pros: very good working conditions
Cons: pay not as good as it might have been
Enjoyed the short time I was in Banbury Store, found that the Management were approachable and understanding. Felt that if I had been there longer that I may have been in line for advancement within the company.