Decatur Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

good company to work for
Engineering Technician III (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILDecember 6, 2015
Stressful at times due to senior management. Good fellow employees. Many long term employees. Good benefits. Pay raises are pay for performance.
Pros
nice cafe for lunch, breaks
Productive and rewarding
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILMay 23, 2016
The typical day at work would be a learning experience when it comes to being introduced to working hospital security on a professional level. I learned how to be more punctual when it comes to observing, report writing on incidents, and safety issues that effect hospital security as a whole. The management team was consistent. The hardest part of the job would be absolutely nothing. The most enjoyable part of the job would be that this was the first security officer job that prepared me for what I am a professional in today. Not only this is my hometown of Decatur, Illinois, but working at Decatur Memorial Hospital gave me a sense of pride and respect as a person and an officer of the field of security, correction, and law enforcement as awhole.
Pros
Prepare me to be the professional that I am today
Cons
N/A
I was employed at DMH for 19 years, and enjoyed my work experience.
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJune 22, 2016
I started as an Office Assistant in 1997, and then filled several positions as a Case Manager, Wellness Coordinator, and CMA. They accommodated my schedule, and I was allowed to attend MA school while employed, as well as take some nursing classes.
A typical days work as a MA at DMH Express Care consisted of greeting patients, taking vitals, triaging, entering information into computer, administering medications, POCT, making referrals, and discharging.
Pros
12 hour days allowed days off during the week.
Cons
Not being able to take breaks or lunches on busy days.
A good environment to learn new things every dy.
Post Anesthesia Care Unit and Same day surgery RN (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILOctober 19, 2015
Had great co-workers made the days not seem so long. Being able to pre op and post op the patients and see them go home rewarding. At times very hard to take when patients did not make it through surgery. Saw many surgeries and learned how to take care very different patients.
Pros
Good benefits good pay.
Cons
Long hours and being on call
Great small town feel in a major medical center
Interim Executive Director and Director of Nursing (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILFebruary 4, 2016
This hospital is the most welcoming and supportive I have ever worked for. A rare level of interdepartmental support and sense of common goals and team work.
first Nursing Job
REGISTERED NURSE/Clinical Lead (Current Employee) –  Arthur, ILJuly 22, 2015
Very poor communication from administration. No support for growth in career/ experience.
Compensation: well under average for the state.
Great Learning Opportunities
Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILDecember 21, 2015
A great place to work and grow as a professional. Several training programs housed within the hospital including a nurse anesthesia training program which awards a DNP upon completion.
Great Team/Poor support from administration
Inpatient Physical Therapist (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILSeptember 2, 2015
DMH was a wonderful place to begin my schooling with supportive co-workers/good team-work.

Hospital Administration placed hospital on hiring freeze which allowed no room for advancement.
Administrative Analyst
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILDecember 5, 2015
Data entry, internal audits, reporting to health department and etc. I absolutely loved my job, great staff and team work. Many changes were being made at the hospital and after fifteen years time to move forward.
I worked very hard for this company almost non stop on the road for nine months and its really sad what they did
Mobile Unit Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJanuary 11, 2016
I was hired on here on Dec. 1, 2014 And on Jan. 05, 2015 took off on the road for training as a Mobile Unit Assistant on there occupational health part of the business for what would be almost a non-stop trip states not in order:
Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, N. Carolina, S. Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska. Some states returned back to multiple times. In September two days before I was suppose to leave on my scheduled week vacation (ETO TIME) my mom called and said my dad had a heart attack so I left for Oklahoma. During the same week on that Friday of my vacation my Dad passed away. The next day my boss calls says I leave Tuesday for Nebraska. I Drive all the way back to Illinois and then leave for Nebraska
got back around 7:30 pm on Friday Sept. 18. the following morning i get a call i leave in the morning for st louis... no i'm not going. I'm stressed and exhausted and got me
A position i resigned from . I was told by someone who hired me she was going to find me another position here even asked if i preferred days and she would call..........................................didn't happen at the end of Oct. i got a letter from the insurance that was made out on OCT. 16 that my insurance was cancelled because of termination on OCT 1.
too many things to list that i have say because this wasn't the only things
policies? procedures?Guidlines?
I made this a very short version of everything while i worked there
Pros
i liked travel and seeing new people around the united states
Cons
theres really no breaktime for anything
I loved my job. Just hard to work with management
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILFebruary 6, 2014
I typed operative notes mostly. Acute care and some radiology. I learned how to listen and type and understand ethnic speaking doctors. Management was hard to work with on this job very demanding. Loved my coworkers. They kept raising the amount of work to be procedure each day which was compromising the accuracy of the the documents. I loved all the knowledge that was involved with this job, new treatments, new medications and new procedures, very interesting.
Pros
able to work from home
Cons
working holidays and weekends. insurance benefits were not good.
Productive and friendly environment.
Computer Operator/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILOctober 26, 2015
The staff were very helpful and insightful. Never had any personal issues with anyone on the staff. The IT team worked really well together to achieve goals and complete tasks in a timely manner.
Busy, challenging environment
ALLIED HEALTH PROFESSIONAL (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILJuly 25, 2012
A typical day is extremely busy from punch-in to punch-out. The work is challenging but with severe understaffing, it is nearly impossible to complete it in a timely manner. Patient care frequently suffers. The staff is very friendly and help each other. Management is preoccupied with the bottom line such that they often lose contact with employees and lose focus on patient care.
Pros
friendly, helpful coworkers, good pay and benefits
Cons
tensions between fiscal issues, employee well-being and patient care
An excellent place to work
RN (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJanuary 21, 2015
Fast paced environment. Learned new information daily. Compassionate management team. Coworkers had a "team" mindset, always looking out for one another. The hardest part of the job was growing so attached to the terminal patients and being present for them and their families during their transitions into death. The most enjoyable part of the job was bonding with the patients, helping them to understand their disease processes and guiding them towards the most optimum outcome.
Pros
team focused, $1, 000 annual healthcare spending allowance for family
Cons
$5, 000 deductible for health insurance
Stressful
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILOctober 3, 2013
I liked working here because I like helping people. But working here is almost a joke. Management has their faves, pay not that great, benefits HA! a joke... I loved my girls I worked with. The best part was having a patient come to you and tell you how thankful they are for everything you have done for them. It really makes it all worth while :)
Pros
the girls i got to work with and the nice thankful patients
Cons
almost everything
Unconfortable working environment
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJune 13, 2015
Inconsistent and erratic management. Training is minimal and it is a learn on the fly environment.
Got along well with most coworkers.
Enjoyed interacting with patients and staff.
Good place to Volunteer.
Volunteer. (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILSeptember 10, 2015
I cleaned the therapy room.
Cleaned the speech room.
Went on all of the floors to serve water, flowers, and mail.
Spending your time with the patients.
Sitting behind the front desk to give out room tags.
Pros
Helping the patients and giving them flowers or mail.
Cons
Leaving it.
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILSeptember 20, 2015
The surgery dept. was short staffed therefore we were required to work longer hours than scheduled many times a week and had to take more hours of in house and out of house call per week.
Great group of people to work with
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILSeptember 17, 2015
Approachable and understanding in personal situations. Would recommend working at this establishment. Directors are willing to pitch in and work with you.
Pros
Discounts in the cafe and gift shop.
Great doctor willing to teach
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, IllinoisMarch 4, 2014
I learned a lot from the doctor at the clinic I worked at. He was super friendly and willing to answer my questions and teach me. Employees were good to work with for the most part. Management was not helpful and often didn't help a situation.
Pros
made everlasting friends, great benifits
Cons
management

Decatur Memorial Hospital Reviews by Location