Decatur Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

I worked very hard for this company almost non stop on the road for nine months and its really sad what they did
Mobile Unit Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJanuary 11, 2016
I was hired on here on Dec. 1, 2014 And on Jan. 05, 2015 took off on the road for training as a Mobile Unit Assistant on there occupational health part of the business for what would be almost a non-stop trip states not in order:
Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, N. Carolina, S. Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska. Some states returned back to multiple times. In September two days before I was suppose to leave on my scheduled week vacation (ETO TIME) my mom called and said my dad had a heart attack so I left for Oklahoma. During the same week on that Friday of my vacation my Dad passed away. The next day my boss calls says I leave Tuesday for Nebraska. I Drive all the way back to Illinois and then leave for Nebraska
got back around 7:30 pm on Friday Sept. 18. the following morning i get a call i leave in the morning for st louis... no i'm not going. I'm stressed and exhausted and got me
A position i resigned from . I was told by someone who hired me she was going to find me another position here even asked if i preferred days and she would call..........................................didn't happen at the end of Oct. i got a letter from the insurance that was made out on OCT. 16 that my insurance was cancelled because of termination on OCT 1.
too many things to list that i have say because this wasn't the only things
policies? procedures?Guidlines?
I made this a very short version of everything while i worked there
Pros
i liked travel and seeing new people around the united states
Cons
theres really no breaktime for anything
An organized moderately paced job
Bus Boy (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJune 26, 2013
Upon arrival at the cafeteria I would check in with my supervisor to let her know I was now on my shift afterwards I would put on a disposable gown as well as gloves for clearing off food trays. I learned how to maintain, operate, clean, and break down large machine dish washers. My management was organized and connected with his employees and made sure any requests were attended to. My co-workers enjoyed their jobs and worked hard to maintain or exceed expectations and performance. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with fast paced times like lunch and dinner and the most enjoyable part of the job was working with the machines.
I loved my job. Just hard to work with management
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILFebruary 6, 2014
I typed operative notes mostly. Acute care and some radiology. I learned how to listen and type and understand ethnic speaking doctors. Management was hard to work with on this job very demanding. Loved my coworkers. They kept raising the amount of work to be procedure each day which was compromising the accuracy of the the documents. I loved all the knowledge that was involved with this job, new treatments, new medications and new procedures, very interesting.
Pros
able to work from home
Cons
working holidays and weekends. insurance benefits were not good.
An excellent place to work
RN (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJanuary 21, 2015
Fast paced environment. Learned new information daily. Compassionate management team. Coworkers had a "team" mindset, always looking out for one another. The hardest part of the job was growing so attached to the terminal patients and being present for them and their families during their transitions into death. The most enjoyable part of the job was bonding with the patients, helping them to understand their disease processes and guiding them towards the most optimum outcome.
Pros
team focused, $1, 000 annual healthcare spending allowance for family
Cons
$5, 000 deductible for health insurance
Stay away
Polysomnographic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJune 11, 2012
The area in which I worked had a high turnover of staff due to several reasons:
Micromanaging, employees on an extremely short leash with security cams in work areas, harassing emails by supervisors. Very pressure-packed work environment. Without question the worst employer I have ever had working in medicine. Compensation was ok but the financial status of DMH is and has been so shaky that unless you are a nurse or manager forget about even having a cost of living adjustment, errr merit increase.
Pros
compensation ok, staff very competent
Cons
supervisor unqualified for position
Contest monthly achiever, baking competition, ice cream social, golf tournament
Supervisor, Admission Department (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GADecember 19, 2011
Decatur Hospital is a long-term acute care facility where patient is on ventilator, oxygen, and life support. When families come in to sign consents and patient rights it is my job to create the atmospere of the hospital. It truly was an awesom experience per Joint Commisson we came out no#1 in the hospital.
Pros
excellent staff, teamwork, dedication, acknowledge improvement, rating from joint commission no#1
Cons
position changed to 24 hour on call supervisor
Busy, challenging environment
ALLIED HEALTH PROFESSIONAL (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILJuly 25, 2012
A typical day is extremely busy from punch-in to punch-out. The work is challenging but with severe understaffing, it is nearly impossible to complete it in a timely manner. Patient care frequently suffers. The staff is very friendly and help each other. Management is preoccupied with the bottom line such that they often lose contact with employees and lose focus on patient care.
Pros
friendly, helpful coworkers, good pay and benefits
Cons
tensions between fiscal issues, employee well-being and patient care
Most of the Employees are very helpful and good to work with
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  ILJune 9, 2013
Very busy and not enough help to make things run smoother. Most of the co-workers are great to work with. Supervisor is not a nice person. She is one moment nice and then the next she's off on a rampage. The hardest part is weekends not enough help and your lucky if you get your breaks. I like to work with the patients and most of my co-worker's.
Pros
every other weekend off
Cons
most of the time i didn't get my breaks. or not enough help on the floor to get the job done.
Enjoyable environment to work in. Don't mind getting up and going to work in the morning.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILDecember 18, 2012
I like my job because I stay busy all the time, and have very good people to work with. I am currently working the cold table most of the time, which I really enjoy because I enjoy actually making the dishes we serve on cold table. The hardest part of the job is getting everything done in a day that I need to do. Very busy job, which I like.
Pros
good hours
Cons
not so great discounts on meals
Office Assistant
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, IlJuly 15, 2014
The multiphone line would start ringing at 8:30am and not stop until 4pm. The customers were nice and polite and I loved talking to them. The doctors knew nothing about me because they never talked to me. The boss didn't know how to be a boss except for when she was writing people up for doing something wrong. The hardest part of the job was trying to get answers for the patients. The most enjoyable part was all of my coworkers and their antics.
Stressful
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILOctober 3, 2013
I liked working here because I like helping people. But working here is almost a joke. Management has their faves, pay not that great, benefits HA! a joke... I loved my girls I worked with. The best part was having a patient come to you and tell you how thankful they are for everything you have done for them. It really makes it all worth while :)
Pros
the girls i got to work with and the nice thankful patients
Cons
almost everything
IT WAS UNDER APPRESIATED
Generalist rotating between departments (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILDecember 21, 2014
IT WAS LONG WITH SHORT OF STAFF EVERYDAY. I LEARNED ALOT BUT IT WAS SOMETHING I DESERVE IT. THEY HAD A VERY GOOD MANAGEMENT BUT WORKERS WAS SLAPPY. AS I SAID THE WORST DAY AND THE MOST UNDER APPRESIATED DAY WAS THE DAY WARK IN THE CHEMISTERY DEPARTMENT AND ALL THE WORKERS SIT THEIR AND LOUGH AT ME. THE MOST ENJOYABLE DAY WAS THE DAY I AM THE HELPER AND HELPING.
A good environment to learn new things every dy.
Post Anesthesia Care Unit and Same day surgery RN (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILOctober 19, 2015
Had great co-workers made the days not seem so long. Being able to pre op and post op the patients and see them go home rewarding. At times very hard to take when patients did not make it through surgery. Saw many surgeries and learned how to take care very different patients.
Pros
Good benefits good pay.
Cons
Long hours and being on call
Great place to learn and sharpen my skills
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILApril 30, 2014
I enjoyed my working here because of the training I received and I was able to grow and use my leadership skills to exceed, however it was a challenge to work for such low pay and moral of the employees and the community makes it a difficult place to work.
Pros
great learning enviroment
Cons
low pay and false evaluations
Productive workplace with great teamwork and a wonderful fundemental foundation for nursing.
Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILJune 30, 2014
Nursing is a different experience everyday. At DMH you are taught to take care of your patients without bias. The employes have excellent customer service. I leave my job everyday knowing the nursing team and myself excelled in patient care.
Fast paced and time goes fast
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILMay 6, 2012
I enjoy most of my job. Each day I go in I know exactly what to do and when to do it. Management is very difficult to grasp onto since you don't always work with the same one. Flopping back and forth between managers with their different techniques is challenging. Coworkers there are very friendly and easy to get along with.
Great doctor willing to teach
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, IllinoisMarch 4, 2014
I learned a lot from the doctor at the clinic I worked at. He was super friendly and willing to answer my questions and teach me. Employees were good to work with for the most part. Management was not helpful and often didn't help a situation.
Pros
made everlasting friends, great benifits
Cons
management
I HAVE ENJOYED WORKING WITH THE PEOPLE AT DMH AND FOR DMH.
MEDICAL LABORATORY (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILJanuary 23, 2013
I LOVE MY JOB IN MY AREA. I DO NOT HAVE DMH INSURANCE SO I CAN NOT COMMENT A LOT ABOUT THAT.DMH IS A GOOD PLACE TO WORK OVERALL.I JUST NEED TO DO BETTER.
Pros
always a need a for good healthcare workers
Cons
healthcare has changed.the need for job security is a must.
They offer outstanding services, however working there is not the best nor most exciting place.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILSeptember 2, 2014
I cleaned daily patient rooms, check outs, and utility rooms. I worked in every area possible including surgical areas.
Pros
if your child is sick they offer a room for them so you can still work.
Cons
no room for advancement.
Good place to Volunteer.
Volunteer. (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILSeptember 10, 2015
I cleaned the therapy room.
Cleaned the speech room.
Went on all of the floors to serve water, flowers, and mail.
Spending your time with the patients.
Sitting behind the front desk to give out room tags.
Pros
Helping the patients and giving them flowers or mail.
Cons
Leaving it.